KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Usually at least once per week I get an email from Facebook that says, “Jane, [Facebook Friend Name] has tagged a photo of you.  Click here to see it.”

And since my standard gut-reaction to having a camera in my face is [Chuck Norris roundhouse kick], I’m always curious to see what picture of me they’ve tagged and nine times out of ten, they tagged a picture of a pigeon/pigeons/people feeding pigeons/smushed pigeons/falcons feeding smushed pigeons to their young, etc.

This photo was tagged with my name today by Gina and my reaction was, “Whose dog puked THAT up?”

But that’s not dog puke or cat puke or a diseased gall bladder.

That, my friends, is another photo of the elusive baby pigeon.

What Satan hath wrought …

1. Elmer Fudd
    April 2, 2010 10:02 am

That looks like something from a late nite ’50s horror flick..

April 2, 2010 10:11 am

Hopefully, taken just before someone stepped on it.

3. Elle C.
    April 2, 2010 10:26 am

I thought of you yesterday when I got off the shuttle on blvd of the allies and a woman also riding the shuttle got off and proceeded to pull out a ziploc baggie full of birdseed and dump it on the sidewalk. I was ambushed by pigeons as I attempted to walk past to my building. who does that?!

4. PittGirl
    April 2, 2010 10:26 am

Short answer: Agents of Satan.

5. Rob Carr
    April 2, 2010 10:53 am

It’s cute! They look similar to baby parakeets!

6. HollyT
    April 2, 2010 11:43 am

Did you know its a rarity to see a baby pigeon? I did not know this until they were tearing down an old building at work and one of the workers brought a baby bird to one of my office mates who is a veterinarian.
    First, they thought it was a baby turkey. I quickly told them no, my family & I raised baby turkeys one time, that is no way a baby turkey.

I thought, it was either a baby hawk or eagle. The thing had a curved beak like one and was HUGE with no feathers yet (which means it was still very young). Since we were certain it was a bird of prey, my office mate packed it up in a box with a towel and proceeded to drive it to the wildlife rescue place. Birds of Prey are a protected species and if a baby was found in the building, we were going to have to call in the professionals before they could tear it down. If ti was an eagle baby, the building would probably not be torn down at all.

A few hours after dropping it off, we received a phone call from the rehabilitation place informing us it was in fact a baby pigeon. We’re pretty sure since they didn’t give us a case number (which they do for things they rehabilitate so you can check on their progress) we’re pretty sure it became food for a real bird of prey.

7. Carol
    April 2, 2010 1:21 pm

It’s all cute and yellow and pink, sort of Easterish…
    /ducks

8. bluzdude
    April 2, 2010 2:02 pm

You have much better hair. And, well, everything else.

9. Jen
    April 2, 2010 3:34 pm

“Racing Pigeon Chick Growth”

wow, those things look like buzzards when they’re babies. so strange.

10. steeler_tom
    April 2, 2010 6:56 pm

Looks something like my what dog threw-up one time……

11. Karen
    April 3, 2010 10:16 am

I’m not even anti-pigeon, but that’s really horrible-looking.

12. Tina
    April 3, 2010 12:16 pm

Greetings from a freaking cold San Francisco. Had to think of you, when we did a sightgseeing tour yesterday, stopped by the city hall and the guide told us this (quote from Wikipedia):

“The city hall has attempted to recruit peregrine falcons to nest in aeries outside the dome. Pigeon droppings have to be periodically cleaned from the pair of glass-covered light wells (formerly covered with concrete at the height of modernism). In a curious coincidence, the new city hall in nearby San Jose has already drawn at least one pair of falcons, discovered by Mayor Ron Gonzales himself as he saw pigeon feathers descend past a window during a meeting”

Cheers

Tina,

who is SO HAPPY every spring / summer again that at her recent apartment she does not have to remove pigeon nests from her balcony anymore (we had a BAD pigeon problem at my old house *YAK*).

13. butcher's dog
    April 4, 2010 8:54 pm

@Elle C: Having just returned from three months in a Southern Carolina city noted for its Beach, I observed much the same thing on the sands. Frequently parents with young uns came with bags of stale popcorn, which they proceeded to throw into the air a kernel or two at a time. The knowing bastards, oceanic division, aka: seagulls would come streaming in from all corners of the globe. Within seconds they surrounded cute kid and family, wings flapping furiously. I always, without fail, rooted for at least a couple to shit on the entire family, but most especially on cute kid throwing kernels. We used the scientific name for those persons when discussing them. Morons.

A long answer to the short question: Who does that? No need to thank me.

April 5, 2010 8:42 am

1.Elmer Fudd Says:
    April 2nd, 2010 at 10:02 am
    That looks like something from a late nite ’50s horror flick.

Anybody else watch “The It’s Alive! Show”? Anyone? Anyone?

15. Gina
    April 6, 2010 4:01 pm

That pic is mine and said baby pigeon shortly became lunch for one of the neighborhood cats.