Random n’at

1.  Oh, boy, has that IKEA post created some major major problems in my life, because whereas before I had a list in my head of stuff I wanted from IKEA, now I have a PRINTABLE LIST OF STUFF I NEED!

I mean, look how many people are going on about Billy Bookcases and Expedit something or other and I WANT I WANT I WANT.  So I called my husband.

Hubby: “What’s up?”

Me: “Yeah, I’m going to need about a million dollars.”

Hubby: “Cute.”

Me: “No, I’m completely serious.”

Hubby: “[click]”

2.  Another conversation, this one with my mother who is visiting my sister Tina Fey in Texas.

Me: “What are you guys up to?”

Mom: “I’m watching the baby while D is at school, and your father and sister are outside cleaning the inside of her SUV.”

Me: “Learned my lesson, did she?”

Mom: “Oh, yes.  You never know who you might have in your car one day.”

I’m glad people are learning from my stupid butt.

3.  Yes, I am going to write a Benny post today.  As soon as I get my taxes done and dry my tears over how large of checks I have to send out.

4.  Here’s an awesome commercial featuring a pigeon.  If I’m calling a commercial featuring a pigeon awesome, then you already know how it ends.

(h/t Mel)

5.  Some local teens are in the running to win the Driving Skills for Life contest from Ford for a music video they created.  Go vote PITTSBURGH! No registration, just one little click.

(h/t Erica and Dave)

6.  Plum High School students made a seriously awesome video saluting the Pittsburgh Penguins.  You’ve probably seen it featured in the Trib or perhaps on the Pensblog, but if you haven’t, here it is.

YouTube Preview Image

Then go read the comments on YouTube and ask yourself, why are some people being so ridiculously mean?

I’m going with, “Because they have tiny brains and shitty lives.”

And can I just say? When I was in high school, it was FILLED with awkward teenagers.  What the hell has happened to the awkward teenager?!  Have they gone extinct?!  Did I miss an asteroid that took ’em all out?!

(h/t to a whole big bunch of people)

7.  Stephen Spielberg and Michael Bay will be filming a Dreamworks production of a big-budget action flick called “I am Number 4” here in the new Hollywood, AKA Pittsburgh.

The Pittsburgh Business Times has lots of details.

(h/t Charles)

8.  LISTEN TO ME.  CALM DOWN.  THIS IS STILL THE YEAR.

That is all.

9.  There are so many things wrong with this Craigslist What the Effie, where to begin?

Let’s start with the title of “2 pigeons looking for a great pet home (Will come to you!).”

They left off, “Will come to you while you are sleeping and creepily watch you sleep before they decide to peck your tongue out.”

Jupiter is a DNA sexed male Hindi fantail who came to us when his previous owner could not keep him any longer

Translation: The previous owner realized he had taken tongue-pecking vermin as a pet.

He arrived with a mate, who died from eggbinding.

Is eggbinding a form of pigeon torture?  I’ve been seeking a new method.

Flash is a female barred/checkered homer cross, she has not been DNA’d but behaviorally speaking we feel certain she is a female

Translation: Behaviorally, this pigeon is a raging bitch who always thinks her butt looks fat and she’s got the crazy eyes, so we’re guessing female.

Though these two are not going to be typical “pets,” for handling and playing with, we will only place them AS pets.

Translation: We will not sell them to PittGirl for sacrificial or eggbinding purposes.

Bummer.

(h/t Rachael)

1. SpudMom
    April 13, 2010 11:29 am

I *think* that eggbinding means that she tried to lay eggs and they got bound up so she died. Kind of like women who died in childbirth because the baby got stuck.

2. J
    April 13, 2010 11:30 am

In the News: Plaxico Burress accidently shoots Santonio Holmes in the leg at a night club causing Mr. Holmes to throw a drink in Ben Roethlisberger’s face which caused Mr. Roethlisberger to accidentally grope the nearest underage female. The sound of the shot startled Jeff Reed, causing him to accidentally smash the men’s room towel dispenser, startling Matt Spaeth who then lost control of his bladder.

3. Lauren
    April 13, 2010 11:41 am

3. This should be good. My dad referred to him as “Obese Ben” after his “heartfelt” apology : )

6. When I wore my Pens jersey in high school, people thought I was a loser that liked some loser sport. Now the kiddos are doing stuff like that. Thank you, Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby.

4. butcher's dog
    April 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Awkward teenagers are now awkward pre-teenagers. It’s like evolution or something. By the time they hit high school they’ve found a niche, within the (sometimes narrow) bounds of which they are cool. So it goes.

Like others, I breathlessly await the Benny post.

5. mindymin
    April 13, 2010 12:23 pm

@J – ROFL!!! That sounds like a quick skit for a Steelers SNL sketch!

6. That video was awesome and anyone who says different should be forced to stand naked in the net while the Pens Offense AND Defense take slap shots at them.

Oh and yeah – I remember alot more dorky looking kids, myself included, in HS…WTF happened?

6. Monty
    April 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Seriously. Those Plum kids rule.

7. richrovs
    April 13, 2010 12:32 pm

Great video!!!

8. RJR
    April 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Anxiously awaiting the Duke post! :)

9. Natural Red
    April 13, 2010 12:59 pm

YOur pigeons for sale comments made me laugh out loud. I cannot look at the pigeons who live in the barn behind us without thinking of you.
    PS- Does Plum HS have a dress code- those skirts looked awful short,don’t you think?

10. Sooska
    April 13, 2010 1:00 pm

@J- A friend of mine posted that on Facebook yesterday and credited someone else.

#6 Plum kids did a great job. Ginny- why in the world would you read comments on YouTube?

#9 you have to DNA a pigeon to sex it? Ginny- that is your answer to why they are evil.

11. bluzdude
    April 13, 2010 1:13 pm

I thought egg-binding was when you ate so many eggs, you couldn’t “go” any more.

Somewhere, there is a high school with not nearly enough cool kids. Plum is throwing off the standard distribution.

12. PG Wodehouse
    April 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Looking forward to the Ben comments especially about another unfortunate choice in hair styling.

13. KKinLA
    April 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Seriously. The Plum High video made me a little weepy. (One of) the most fabulous things about growing up in the ‘Burgh was the tremendous sense of pride and belonging you got from the success of our sports teams. Isn’t it tremendous that all of those kids – instead of hanging out in their little cliques or feeling isolated – are rallying around something awesome? (I mean you, Sid). The haters simply do not get how deeply sports contribute to the very identity of people from Pittsburgh. I haven’t lived at home for 13 years – but say a disparaging word about any of our teams (even you, B.O.S.) – and your jewels are in trouble!

14. Vivian formerly NY Luvs Pitts
    April 13, 2010 1:54 pm

3. I know Ginny, I know. I had to walk away from my taxes but I’m going back in. Pray for me as I will be praying for you.

15. Sue
    April 13, 2010 2:06 pm

I hope on your Benny post you have some explanation as to what type of hairstyle he is now sporting. His hair looks like the crazy dad’s from the flying saucer/kid stuck inside freakshow.

16. Ginny's Dad
    April 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Gin

Give up on the Bucs. When they gave up 13 runs in one inning that told me all I need to know about this season. There was no one in the bullpen that could get an out??!! If all the starters do not have career years, then you can expect 100 or more losses this year.

17. CoolChick
    April 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Wow, that Plum video was amazing. On long five minute shot, no cuts, no editing! Congrats to all involved.

18. Linda
    April 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Why? Why why why is that Plum video not available on mobile? Stoopid work internet filters block youtube so I went to the Droid and can’t see it there either.

19. J
    April 13, 2010 2:31 pm

certainly not an original post by me, just a comment here and it was a copy from a friend—dont know the originator…thanks!

20. Nicole
    April 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Heard an astonishing stat the other morning on the X about the 13 run inning; there were NO errors during that entire inning!! NONE! How bad do you have to be for that to happen?

21. Former Ohio sister
    April 13, 2010 2:50 pm

That video made me cry. I am so glad to be back in the Burgh!

22. pghfaninphx
    April 13, 2010 2:54 pm

#8 – Ginny, we had quite a Pirate fan contingent at Chase Field during the D’Backs game.. before the debacle of a 4th inning, I heard loud cheers for the Pirates when they homered… and most of Pirate fans even stayed for the whole game. Let’s Go Bucs! (Hey, I’m trying here!)

23. Scott
    April 13, 2010 3:26 pm

the students did a great job on that video! Not only the number of students involved, the amount of the school used in the shot, but also the creativity. LOVE IT!!

24. Linda
    April 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Glee! comes to Plum HS. Loved it!

25. Virginia
    April 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Dear PRS,

I used the email address you entered to find out that you are Scott R. Priester and that your email address goes to a user “Master Scott” on some Yahoo boards also registered to Scott R. Priester. Your latest IP address is hereby blocked. Leave me alone.

Dear readers, do not engage him further.

26. butcher's dog
    April 13, 2010 4:52 pm

“Behaviorally, this pigeon is a raging bitch who always thinks her butt looks fat and she’s got the crazy eyes, so we’re guessing female.”

I am sooooooooo glad I didn’t write that sentence!

27. maggiemae
    April 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Ginny

When is your birthday? I have a great idea for a gift!

28. Virginia
    April 13, 2010 5:17 pm

Maggiemae,

You’re not thinking to get me a pet pigeon are you? DON’T!

May 30th.

29. Dave
    April 13, 2010 11:12 pm

I just wanted to say a big “Thank You” to all of you who voted for the Pittsburgh kids in the “Driving Skills for Life” contest. They went from 5th place last night to 1st place today! And Ginny, thanks a bunch for posting about it. It really made my day when I saw it on your web page this morning!

30. bob
    April 14, 2010 9:07 am

On the Plum video did they receive permission from the Black Eyed Peas to use their song?

31. TBD
    April 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Excellent video. @bob #30. Who cares. Those kids are more creative and talented than the BEPs anyway ;-)

Well done guys… GO PENS!