Five Questions for …

You guys know I love the guys at the Pensblog, right?  I mean, they are completely famous and they have a killer blog and they’re awesome.

I don’t want you to think that I’m taking issue with them in my latest post over at the magazine about Michelle, The Knitting Lady, who you often see on TV knitting in her seat at Pens games.

Well, the guys at the Pensblog noticed her just this past November and they wrote their game summary under the headline, “Who knits at a hockey game?”

Indeed. Who knits at a hockey game?

The writers didn’t say anything too terrible about her, but their readers had lots of things to say.  Some defended her, but others weren’t too happy:

• Shame on the knitter, wtf? that’s some kind of message to the pens bench…
  • Have to comment on the knitter- she sat next to me at Game 6 of the SCF. We were in Igloo W for that game; seats on the glass. She was knitting then too. That pissed me off more than the Wings fan on the other side of me who tried to eat my hot dog.
  • it may be calming, but it’s also lame…knit at home.
  • All knitting supporters are jokes! There was a woman in my row knitting at the Pens/Caps game last season in DC and we thought it was quite fitting for some twatbag to be knitting at a Caps game. The fact that someone was doing it at the Igloo during the game is embarrassing; let somebody who wants to watch the game go and go knit somewhere else.

Outside of the Pensblog, you can find mention of her in other places, usually fans asking or tweeting, “Did you see that lady?!  What the hell?!”

Go read the five questions I posed to her via email and you’ll learn why she knits at games, how she became a hockey fan, and how she felt about the anger and insults directed toward her.

I hope it will help you understand her a little better and come to recognize her as a die-hard Penguins fan who likes to knit.

Also, I seriously covet that scarf she’s wearing in the second picture.

1. Birdie
    April 19, 2010 8:46 am

Good for Michelle for finding something to calm herself during the game. Maybe she can teach my husband to knit to calm himself! Can we see if she can knit some socks for Children’s Hospital?

2. MM
    April 19, 2010 8:55 am

@Politicalpartypooper, what do you mean “back”? Based on your behavior, I would assume you never left.

3. Bojack
    April 19, 2010 9:29 am

Ouch babe!! :-)

4. Politicalpartypooper
    April 19, 2010 9:32 am

MM,

Why are you so jealous of me?

5. Schuyler
    April 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Good for you Michelle! And thanks Ginny for bringing her to us … I’ve often wondered when I’ve seen her on TV. Michelle, you’re an awesome fan and I agree with everyone else … ignore the haters! :-)

6. spoon
    April 19, 2010 12:44 pm

I’m a texter during the game. whatever, I know whats going on during the game and most of the time I’m sending updates to friends who cant watch the game. You paid for your seat so really who cares what you do in it. Granted you’re there to watch a hockey game but if you want to knit.. freakin knit away!

Not everyone is an uberfan and yeah it sucks for people who want to sit and watch the game but ya know what, buy something off ticket exchange if it bugs you that much. I’ve been a season ticket holder in F balcony for almost a decade, texting and knitting aren’t the worst things I’ve seen at a game.

7. emilie
    April 20, 2010 12:54 pm

I think it’s awesome.

8. Pingback: 05.08.10 | ÖREN BAYANLAR

9. Amy
    May 10, 2010 4:24 pm

It is nice to know that I am not alone out there, I *ALWAYS* knit at Montreal Canadian games :D

10. Pingback: 05.08.10 | ÖREN BAYANLAR