AIRBALLLLLLL!

Update: The player in question is Zach Duke as confirmed by Rocco DeMaro.

I don’t need to tell you, do I, how awesome this week was for our Buccos of Suckitude.

This weekend, they swept the Cincinnati Reds by beating them 4-3 on Friday, 5-4 on Saturday, and 5-3 yesterday.

Saturday’s game was so intense, my tweets were a bit spastic.  I guess I should say, “My tweets were more spastic than usual.” Read them from the bottom up, to get an idea.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, an inning that easily could have gone either way, Garret F. Jones was at the plate with two outs, bases loaded, a tie score and a full-count when he hit what probably would have been a double, but more importantly was enough to bring in the winning run.

The celebration on the field was ecstatic and rivaled the one I had by myself in my living room in which I jumped up and down and hooted and hollered to no one in particular, “BOOYAH, BURGHBABY!  BOO to the YA!”

It just so happens that I wasn’t the only one who looked ridiculous celebrating the win.  As GFJ rounded first base and was mobbed by his teammates, one teammate, who I STILL haven’t identified, well, he MISSED is what he did. He just missed.

I recorded it in slow motion for you and if you’re wondering, the tune is “Air” by Bach.  I thought it fitting.

YouTube Preview Image

I bet that guy sucks at keeping his eye on the ball.

Regardless, the Pirates are in second place, one game out of first, and are playing .583 ball.

THIS IS THE YEAR!

1. Pa-pop
    April 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Don’t be too harsh. I’ve even seen Troysus tackle air.

2. HollyT
    April 19, 2010 2:23 pm

best video ever. I’m guessing a pitcher by the way he is dressed. Good catch! I saw the celebration but missed this! Love my Buccos.

3. Gina
    April 19, 2010 2:24 pm

I believe the player that missed the celebration pile is Zach Duke, haha.

4. Burgh Baby
    April 19, 2010 2:36 pm

I want you to be right. I really, really do. My brain, however, is firm in its belief that this is all part of a vast conspiracy the Succos have with local pharmacies. They’re out to sell anti-depressants. You, my dear, are going to need a VERY BIG PILE of them when that bandwagon falls apart.

5. Schuyler
    April 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Awesome .. that was a laugh-out-loud funny!!! Great stuff!

April 19, 2010 3:02 pm

I was there on sat night — 2 rows away from the field out in right.

GREAT walk off win.

but….

THIS is not the year.

7. Scott
    April 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Ginny, if I ever doubted the validity of your Bucco’s passion this year, the fact that you continue to beat the drum while driving the bandwagon all wild-eyed while the Penguins pursue a third trip to the Cup Finals has me convinced.

My hat is off to you! Go Bucs n’at!

8. bluzdude
    April 19, 2010 3:39 pm

I’m as happy as anyone that the Bucs appear respectable, but remember that they were over .500 last April too.

It’s like going to a Little League game… I root for them hard, but I don’t expect much.

9. cityworker
    April 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks a lot Ginny. Every year you update the bucs and say HEY LOOK they are above .500, then they lose 10 games in a row and suck.

10. Joe K.
    April 19, 2010 4:44 pm

The Next Dynasty continues to roll.

Remember, past performance does not necessarily indicate future results. This roster is good enough to have a winning record.

11. Kathy
    April 19, 2010 4:48 pm

If I can sit at a girls softball game at 11am on a Saturday in 40 degree weather, then I can cheer on the Bucco’s of Sucktitude and believe that “THIS IS THE YEAR!”….although that just means that I am probably crazy on both counts, but oh well!!

12. Magnus Patris
    April 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Sat through Sunday’s 45°, no sun, ran out of hot chocolate win at PNC Park. I couldn’t tell if the Reds really suck or the Bucs were really good. I do know the Reds Right Fielder, Bruce< was asleep and picking his nose most of the game. Also, why the hell do they have "Kids Shirt Day" and give out adult sized shirts? It looked more like "Kids Pirate Ball Gown" on most of the kids.

13. Carpetbagger
    April 19, 2010 5:20 pm

So far so good. All the guys we traded last year are pretty much still sucking wherever they are (Bay, McLouth, LaRoche, Morgan, Wilson, Burnett, and Grabow), and Sanchez hasn’t even played this year due to injury. I wouldn’t take back any of the trades Huntington made.

14. JJ
    April 19, 2010 5:38 pm

You have motivated me and I’m so with you! This IS the year!!!

15. JenOH
    April 19, 2010 6:04 pm

I watched that highlight on the Pirates website and knew it was the oh-so-cute Zach Duke right away.

Let’s go Bucs!

16. bob
    April 19, 2010 6:19 pm

that was funny when i saw it, glad someone else did too.

17. Bojack
    April 19, 2010 7:09 pm

I feel nothing but pity for all of you Kool Aid drinkers!!

Bob Nutting WILL have the last laugh, as usual!

18. Sarah
    April 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Thank you for calling him GFJ! Much much better nickname than GI Jones which is what non-awesome sportscasters call GFJ :)

19. Donncha
    April 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Oh, who the hell knows. Maybe it could happen. Maybe my hair will grow back. Maybe those flying devil monkeys from the Wizard of Oz will descend on Mt. Lebanon and repair my deck. Maybe a truck full of Haitian rum will overturn outside my house and I will be asked to keep all the unbroken bottles. Perchance, Miss October of 2009 will show up and ask to bathe in my kitchen sink. Possibly an exiled Nigerian prince will ring my doorbell, hand me a check and say “just take this; no need to email.” Yes, all of these things are possible. If the buccos really do break .500 in 2010, I’ll have one of those devil monkeys fly you a share of my Nigerian bonanza and drop off a bottle of Barbancourt.

20. LuAnn
    April 19, 2010 9:16 pm

@Magnus Patris

The husband and I also sat through Sunday’s 45°, no sun game… with more beer vendors circling than we would ever see on a hot afternoon.
    Never did see one with hot chocolate…

Regarding the “Kids Shirt Day” … our daughter calls promotions like that “One Size Fits None”.

21. L-A
    April 19, 2010 10:03 pm

@Donncha – baaahahahahahah

22. NW PA Joe (formerly NW Joe)
    April 19, 2010 10:59 pm

I want to believe. I really do. However, outside of Duke, the team ERA is 7.30. This team will not be scoring eight runs per game. Eventually, they will start losing these one run games.

Last year they started 11-7 and then lost 12 of the next 13 games.

23. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    April 20, 2010 9:46 am

I was at all three games this weekend and when we saw the crowd run towards second, it was if Duke launched himself similar to check a player into the boards — we were cracking up because we saw it right away. I might need to start making the three plus hour drive into Pittsburgh for every game now instead of just for the weekend games since my record is 4-0. I believe every year is the year. Let’s go Bucs!

24. emilie
    April 20, 2010 10:44 am

OH the temptation of your bandwagon – does it have margaritas and guacamole? Cause that might entice me. I still haven’t picked a side. I want to have hope for the Pirates, I do, but I just don’t know if they have it in them.