An additional fake YouTube boyfriend

Have you guys seen this video yet? In much the same way the Urban Skiing video was more than just a video of some guys skiing in Pittsburgh, this video is much more than just 19-year-old Mt. Lebanon native Joe Gillen skateboarding in downtown Pittsburgh. It feels like watching an ode to the Burgh and it hit me in the heart something powerful.

Check it out:

YouTube Preview Image

The Post-Gazette wrote about the video yesterday and I’d just like to ask the P-G web people a question: Why couldn’t you just link out to his actual video instead of only telling people to go search YouTube? GET WITH THE AUGHTS!

“Skateboarding, it’s a great outlet for expression,” Mr. Gillen said. “Unlike other sports, there’s no right way or wrong way to skateboard.”

Actually, there is a wrong way to skateboard and if you’d ever like a demonstration, I’d be happy to give you one provided you pay for the ambulance trip I’ll need after I accidentally impale myself on something pointy.

It’s true. I’m no good on ice or on wheels. Once, in my early twenties, I got it in my head that I was going to become a kickass rollerblader. I bought roller blades and I headed down to the local high school where I spent 40 minutes on my butt, 5 minutes upright and 5 minutes stopping the bleeding with fistfuls of grass.

Inner-ear thing.

(h/t Joe’s proud big brother Mike from Burghertime)

1. johnaz6312
    April 23, 2010 10:39 am

Nice Video! Thanks for picking it. The black & white really made it work!! Wish it was longer though!!!

2. Sooska
    April 23, 2010 10:58 am

Haha Ginny! I think your skateboarding would resemble your curling. I can ice skate pretty well, I can old fashioned roller skate but the one time I tried roller blades my life flashed before my eyes.

I agree the B&W is what captured the city – loved that mural. It must be made into a longer version. Joe? please.

3. L-A
    April 23, 2010 10:59 am

They un-blocked your site at my work! JOY.

4. burghertime
    April 23, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for posting, Ginny.

5. Pa-pop
    April 23, 2010 11:12 am

This video is sort of like standing on your desk in Mr. Keating’s class at Welton: perspective changes everything.

6. Adam Smith
    April 23, 2010 11:13 am

Made me weep, wonderful

7. Noelle
    April 23, 2010 11:35 am

The music is tits.

8. Tina
    April 23, 2010 12:03 pm

Very, very cool stuff. Loved it.
    Want more / longer version :))

Inner ear thing:
    So me … no skating(ice skating is kinda okay, but rollerblades *PAIN*), blading or whatever, parallel parking only with unhuman concentration and some more troubles.

What about heights?
    I am totally scared by heights because due to the ear thing (not joking) the balance is affected and cannot create a “fake ground”.
    This is what happends when normal people look down from some open (important) place. Eyes and ears together (balance system) create a “fake ground level” at 90 Grade, which keeps you up on your feet and in balance.

For me: not working
    Means: When I am on open high places my stupid brain wants to bring me into 90 Grade by pulling me forward.
    Result: PANIC, because I am not stupid and know I would fall following my own balance reflex.
    Result 2: Nice bridges sightseeing only possible from stupid tourist busses (last happened with Golden Gate earlier this months)

Anyone else?

9. rickh
    April 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Loved it Ginny, thanks. The music is great. I just saw Miike Snow (music from the Urban Skiing video) last week at Coachella and shared your link to that video with many.

10. Honoria Glossup
    April 23, 2010 12:45 pm

@Noelle: I hope you made up that saying just for this post and it’s not something that I will have to hear again. Ever. It’s bad, bad.