A reminder.

1.  A reminder that Bruce Gradkowski is from Pittsburgh.

2.  A reminder that Bruce Gradkowski is an official Smokin’ Hot Burgher.

3.  A reminder that Bruce Gradkowski is a decent human being.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about him,” Gradkowski said last week. “There had to be something I could do for him.”

The inspiration came to Gradkowski on the plane from Oakland to Pittsburgh. He wrote a two-page letter for D’Eramo.

“I gave him a stat about how one out of every 600,000-or-so high-school football players become an NFL quarterback,” Gradkowski recalled. “I pointed out that if a guy like me can be that one guy in football, he can be the one guy to beat his cancer. He just has to keep believing. God can do great things if you believe.”

4. And, oh, what the hell, another reminder that he’s hot.

And before you start whining at me, please keep in mind that number two has a lot to do with number three.

1. Kate
    April 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Let’s get him to QB in Pittsburgh, instead of Ben Roethlisberger, AKA ALL YOU BITCHES AND HOS, TAKE MY SHOTS, AKA Big Ben, AKA The Duke of Fug and the Earl of Gross, AKA The King of Quarterbackylonia and the Prince of Douche, AKA The Creator of the Mullethawkenberger.

2. SpudMom
    April 26, 2010 3:15 pm

I got as far as the ages of his kids and had to quit reading. I hope he can beat it and if he doesn’t I hope those kids are able to remember how hard their Dad fought to be with them.

3. summer78
    April 26, 2010 3:21 pm

I got to interview him right after he was drafted and I was still freelancing. He was such a super nice guy!!! Nice to see that hasn’t changed!

4. Sooska
    April 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Gee. I am sorry you posted this Ginny. By comparison, it made the DOF-EOG-POD-KOQB’s statement seem all the more sincere, regretful and heart-felt.

5. Kathy
    April 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Later in the article when Gradowski went on to talk about how since someone in “his position” is able to get attention and is get in touch with famous people, and because he is able to do that, he wants to be able to do good with that because “isn’t that what its all about?” I just #1 wanted to kiss him, and #2 wanted to grab the Duke of Fug and all his little fuggles and put them on the first plane out of this city.

6. Caitlin
    April 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I went to school with Bruce and he is a really great guy. His family is wonderful and so close. Football fame hasn’t gone to his head at all, way to go Bruce!

7. JenEngland
    April 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Kathy, I had the same thought. First, I want to make out with this guy. Then lets trade trade trade away the Duke of Fug and bring this guy home. I’d like to see him in a Steelers jersey. Or out of it. Either way.

8. Virginia
    April 26, 2010 4:38 pm

JenEngland wins. Believe you me, I have searched for that picture. No luck.

9. Bojack
    April 26, 2010 4:47 pm

OK, he’s a good guy, and I’ll take your word that he’s hot, but,

he IS the enemy!!!!!!!!!

10. JenEngland
    April 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Maybe he doesn’t know there is a market for shirtless pictures of his glorious self. Maybe he will see this post and conveniently go jogging shirtless on the beach.

11. Monty
    April 26, 2010 5:10 pm

Or maybe he has a superfluous nipple.

April 26, 2010 5:14 pm

maybe bruce could get all “matt damon on entourage” on big ben’s ass to get him to do the right thing:

“IT’S for KIDS, ben!!!”

13. Bojack
    April 26, 2010 5:30 pm

In my mind’s eye I’m seeing newsreels of all those French women
    getting shaved bald for ‘doing’ the Germans, only they’re all females (and a few males) wearing Steeler jerseys!

14. Natalie
    April 26, 2010 5:34 pm

This was so touching to read… we so often get lost in the scum and scandal that the stories of good that people do gets overlooked…. as someone who lost a parent to cancer i know that every prayer, every thought, every well wisher means the world to a family faced with the worst that could happen… what a fighter Dom D’Eramo is and what a great friend Bruce is to care so deeply about someone else going through such a hard time… i’ll root for him no matter who he plays for…

15. JenOH
    April 26, 2010 5:45 pm

Hot and caring … I like!!

16. Claudia
    April 26, 2010 6:19 pm

This guy is a Prince among men. Take a lesson, Pig Ben.

17. hello haha narf
    April 26, 2010 7:34 pm

i may or may not have drooled on my keyboard.
    ok, who am i kidding, i totally drooled all over myself and the damn keyboard.

18. Lisa J
    April 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Is it wrong of me to say that if I weren’t married I’d totally go cougar for him?? Seriously though, hot and super nice? Amazing. Where do we get one of those?

19. facie
    April 26, 2010 10:34 pm

While we are at it, how about good-guy Penn State football player Stefen Wisniewski? Nice article in Saturday’s PG about that Burgher doing some good.

20. Debbie B
    April 27, 2010 7:41 am

I know this guy and his family. He is the real thing and was brought up with strong family values he will always live by. I am born and raised in Pittsburgh, but nothing would make me happier than to see Bruce come to Pittsburgh again this year and and beat that scum bag Ben. I like the Steeler team, and deep down, they would probably like to the hometown boy do it again to Ben and his game.

21. butcher's dog
    April 27, 2010 8:00 am

@Lisa J’s “Where do we get one of these?” There’s 23 of ’em on skates over at the Igloo.

Guys, be warned: if there ever surfaces a shirtless Penguins team picture, the estrogen cloud here will be so dense for so long that all male life forms will die from lack of oxygen. Just sayin’.

22. Bojack
    April 27, 2010 9:23 am

@ Butcher’s Dog-

Obviously just a pack of panting, salivating, dogettes with NO
    team/city loyalty when it comes to naked lust!! :-)

(and ‘they’ say men are bad??)

23. Kathy
    April 27, 2010 9:25 am

@ butcher’s dog: Trying to get some work done here…now I have to get myself to stop…thinking…about….ahhh….shirtless Pens…*drool.drool.drool* what?huh? why am I posting?

24. red pen mama
    April 27, 2010 10:00 am

@butcher’s dog, oh that post exists. In the archives. Girls, just search for “South Pointe” or Hal Gill. I believe it’s called “BAM!” And it is one of my all-time favorite Ginny posts. She provides a lot of public services around the ‘burgh. Not just as bandwagon driver and fundraiser extraordinaire.

Sigh. Keep the Hot Burghers coming.

Oh, and it’s nice when they are decent human beings too. More than nice.

25. MrsGJG
    April 27, 2010 12:44 pm

Since shirtless pics of him are so hard to find, he should do some and auction them off for charity. I can’t say more than that as a married woman whose hubby reads this blog. ;) Hi, sweetheart!