Benny issues statement. Is boring.

Finally, we hear from Benny and this time, he did his darndest to express remorse and to convince us that he realizes what a blessed life he’s living:

“The commissioner’s decision to suspend me speaks clearly that more is expected of me. I am accountable for the consequences of my actions. Though I have committed no crime, I regret that I have fallen short of the values instilled in me by my family. I will not appeal the suspension and will comply with what is asked of me — and more.

“Missing games will be devastating for me. I am sorry to let down my teammates and the entire Steelers fan base. I am disappointed that I have reached this point and will not put myself in this situation again.

“I appreciate the opportunities that I have been given in my life and will make the necessary improvements.”

Dear Benny,

Even if you never raped a girl in your life, I would just like to point out to you that furnishing alcohol to minors is a crime and guess what, walking around a public space with your penis hanging out of your pants is ALSO a crime.

You need to watch Law and Order on occasion so that you too will know when you’ve committed a crime.

Also, the Mullethawkenberger is a crime against our eyes.

Love,

Me.

———————-

Dear readers,

I am, as I knew I would be, having a hard time giving a pigeon’s cloaca about this guy and anything he says.

[sigh]

Pretty sure I’m going to have to uses Lolcat captions on every What They’re Really Thinking picture of him this season. Only way I’m going to get through it.

Love,

Me.

1. Just A Simple Man
    April 27, 2010 10:10 am

Dr. Cyril Wecht said he wonders if Roethlisberger’s head injuries could be at the root of his behavior.
    Ok maybe thats true…then again nah. No deal!

2. Sara
    April 27, 2010 10:12 am

Disclaimer: I agree Ben’s an idiot who needs some life lessons, to say the least.

However, Benny didn’t “furnish” underage girls with alcohol. The bar is at fault for not properly checking their IDs, and even more so, it is the fault of those girls for choosing to break the law by entering, ordering and consuming alcohol while underage.

3. L-A
    April 27, 2010 10:13 am

ugh. i have such disgust for him. i really wanted to root against him this year and was hoping for a trade. no such luck. Please Mr. Rooney, who Art in heaven, let Byron Leftwich kick complete ass so we have no choice but to sit him for the rest of the season anyways.

4. Pensgirl
    April 27, 2010 10:19 am

Sara, no matter what you personally may think about culpability, it is against the law for anyone of age to provide alcohol for anyone underage. It is also against the law for anyone underage to consume said alcohol. It’s not an either-or situation.

5. Sara
    April 27, 2010 10:24 am

Then the bar is at fault. Why would Ben – or any other patron at the bar – check her ID before buying a drink?

6. DuranieGirl
    April 27, 2010 10:38 am

Sorry, I still like Ben. Even buttheads need love. I do get a chuckle out of some of the things said about him, though. Always have.

Seriously about the concussions, they can make you weird. My niece turned into a total freakazoid after falling off of a four wheeler. Guess what, she wasn’t wearing a helmet. Since that event, she has major anger control issues. Brain injuries can seriously turn a nice person into a mean person. Just saying!

Go Pens!

April 27, 2010 10:41 am

It’s not NECESSARILY against the law to admit underage patrons to a club. Many places here in Morgantown admit you at 18-21 (you get a hand stamp or wear a wrist band or something so the bartender knows who and what not to serve). If the club doesn’t police the policy, then yeah, it’s the club’s fault. But it’s not necessarily a crime to be IN the place, is what I’m saying.

8. Out of town
    April 27, 2010 10:45 am

On the plus side it was clearly written by him and not a lawyer.

According to http://www.clubratingz.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=335 the Capital City nightclub is 18+, so underage were allowed there. Check the wristband/stamp before buying a drink. Although, in these circumstances, roving bouncers should be checking drinks/wristbands to keep this from happening. It’s a quick way to lose your liquor license if you don’t, but the star/fug power of Benny probably made them look the other way.

9. PittGal in WI
    April 27, 2010 10:53 am

Did you know that in Georgia there is an acceptable alcohol level for people under 20 years old? I think it is something like 0.002. I would think it would have to be 0.00, because 20 year olds shouldn’t be drinking.

10. toni
    April 27, 2010 11:00 am

No dice Sara….they passed tougher laws…is the bar at fault? Yes…but as the buyer of the drinks, since they toughened the regulations, Ben is ALSO held accountable. They did this due to underage kids getting alcohol. So say your mother had a graduation party for your brotherand underage kids consumed alcohol…your mother could go to jail. You may not like it but it’s fact.

11. Pita Bylma
    April 27, 2010 11:01 am

re the LOLCat caption:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA — I love it!!

yes – Brain injuries can mess with you and your judgement, but it’s no excuse for what he did. He needs to learn manners, respect, and humility. What if someone else had done the same to a sister or a daughter – how would he react?

April 27, 2010 11:15 am

PittGal in WI Says:
    April 27th, 2010 at 10:53 am

Maybe a clause allowing for communion wine at church?

Priest: “Dammit, Suzie, leave a little for everybody else, will ya?!?”

13. DG
    April 27, 2010 11:21 am

I am glad they gave him a chance to redeem himself. I’m a big fan of redemption. I’m also a fan of consequences for actions, so I am glad he got more than a slap on the wrist, and that he had the good sense not to fight it. He needs to do his time, keep his nose clean, and hopefully we can all put this behind us. If not, I’ll cheer for whomever the Steelers put behind center, as I always have.

14. H
    April 27, 2010 11:24 am

It was stated that these “innocent little girls” actually had a couple of fake IDs. The accuser was even kicked out of the same club a week earlier for using a fake ID to get in. In terms of alcohol consumption, these drunk chicks were breaking the law just as much as Ben and his friends were.

She really needs to be held accountable for her actions, too.

15. Bojack
    April 27, 2010 11:33 am

It’s obviously the complete and whole responsibility of the Rooney’s to disregard athletic ability and only sign players
    of sterling values who never get blowjobs from women/ men
    of questionable sobriety!

Also, forget bodyguards, just always have an assistant along, with a breathalyzer, and a stack of legal release forms to witness, and sign before the previously referred to blowjob, by the party of the first part (the blower.) Such forms would also require the blower to legally swear that he or she is not a litigious skank!

There!! Problem solved!!

16. Pa-pop
    April 27, 2010 11:45 am

“Devastating”? Really. Missing some games is devastating? How shallow. From Virginia’s previous post that involved a man battling a rare form of stomach cancer: “His concerns are for his wife, Valerie, and their children, Sierra, 3 1/2, and Nico, who turned 1 Tuesday. ‘Are my kids even going to remember me? That’s what I struggle with every day,’ he said.” Mr. Roethlisberger – or whoever wrote that lame PR release: THAT’s devastating!

17. Jess
    April 27, 2010 11:45 am

I just wanted to ditto #6. I’m not excusing his behavior in the least, but I had a bad concussion in a horseback riding accident about 6 years ago. Before the accident I was pretty mellow, very slow to anger. After the accident my fuse has been noticeably way shorter and now I have problems with depression and anxiety; I’ve done therapy and I still have to take 2 antidepressants a day. Maybe he should look into meds. and therapy, too, I dunno.

18. Jess
    April 27, 2010 11:47 am

Just in case anyone was wondering, I never ride without my helmet – the helmet I was wearing the day of my accident cracked!

19. Bojack
    April 27, 2010 11:52 am

PS- The previously mentioned breathalyzer would be invaluable in recording that the “provider” was within the acceptable range
    of intoxication, i.e.- .09, because we all know (sadly) that some level of blood alcohol is a rudimentary component required for most blowjobs! :-)

20. Bojack
    April 27, 2010 11:59 am

Bojack<<<<- has had several concussions.

21. Jared
    April 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I have to agree with Sara, especially the disclaimer portion of her post. I think that it is unreasonable to expect everyone who buys a drink for another patron of a bar to have to re-check the IDs that were already checked by the bar. Even if Ben would have checked her ID, it was a FAKE that said she was of-age!

22. tw
    April 27, 2010 12:44 pm

I’m not going to argue as to whether he committed a crime or not, but it is disturbing that he does not sound sorry for his “behavior”. Yes, Ben’s sorry that he’s disappointed people, but at no point is he sorry for his serious lack of judgment. People can defend Ben’s actions as being non-criminal, but they lose total ground defending his moral judgment and common sense. One of the reasons I have always loved the Steelers is b/c of their moral fiber and work ethic. His actions may not necessitate a crime, but they are definitely not that of a respectable Steeler. And the big word there being “respect”. Do fans really enjoy rooting for a team where they do not respect their QB? It’s that simple.

23. tw
    April 27, 2010 12:50 pm

p.s. OTL on Espn had a good video where former Steelers chimed in on Ben’s attitude in the locker and whatnot. It was not good. It’s not like this guy was mister wonderful and had a slip up. It seems like he’s always had an attitude problem (apparently even Porter stood up to him). If he was warned about his behavior before and has yet to change, I have my reservations that he ever will.

24. Kathy
    April 27, 2010 1:01 pm

You can thank the Duke of Fug’s agent, Ryan Tollner, for the statement, not the Fug. Fug NEVER says anything to the press that doesn’t come directly from Tollner.

I agree with V — I am getting quite bored (yawn) with giving Fug any more press time or thought.

25. VAgirl
    April 27, 2010 1:12 pm

If there is a medical issues concerning his mutiple concussions then he should not be playing ball. Retire or go on disability. I also saw the ESPN clip and it was very interesting. Even if doukie gave an interview. Can we just move on from this?

26. Sara
    April 27, 2010 3:09 pm

@toni Re: “So say your mother had a graduation party for your brother and underage kids consumed alcohol…your mother could go to jail. You may not like it but it’s fact.” <– Yes, this is true. However, if you're inside a bar that serves alcohol, it is the bar and bartender's responsibility to be sure those they are serving are of legal age — not the other patrons' responsibility.

This is being treated as if Ben knowingly brought an underage girl into a bar and fed her alcohol against her will. She was already drinking there – she also needs to be responsible for breaking the law, and the bar owner should make sure his/her employees take a TIPS class or something.

Again, I believe that Ben needs a wake-up call for his clearly careless behavior. However, the other parties need to have some accountability for their roles as well.

27. butcher's dog
    April 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Here’s the thing: both Ben and Tiger Woods have in common that it’ll take a looooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg time of nothing but squeaky-cleanness before people even start to forget about recent events. So let’s strap on a little patience (borrow some if you can’t find enough of your own) and just wait and see what transpires. OK? OK.

28. Still A, Fan
    April 27, 2010 8:09 pm

sara is right no matter how you feel about ben. to compare a graduation party where a mom buys alcohol to a bar situation where underage people are allowed to enter tells me somebody’s analytical abilities are a little lacking. the way i read the facts, she had her fake ID taken away at the same place a few weeks prior. i do not know, but has anyone read if she was wearing the band or was stamped? ben wouldn’t know she was underage unless she told him.if she is in the bar and not wearing a band or stamp…..anybody in the place can buy her a drink.

i question a bar’s logic for even allowing people under 21 in. they are just asking for trouble.

if ben took a case of beer to a beach and started talking to a girl beside him and she said she was 21 and he gave her 6 beers and she was drunk and wrecked – he’s in deep deep doo doo. “but she told me she was 21” won’t fly in a court of law.

in a bar, no band, no stamp…..he has every right to assume she’s of age.

29. MM
    April 28, 2010 12:00 am

I don’t agree w/ it but LEGALLY Ben is liable for providing underage people w/ booze. When I heard that I swore I would never buy anyone I didn’t personally know was over 21 a drink ever again. I suggest the same for you all.

About the pants/penis thing-not sure that happened. A lot of these “witnesses” were her friends who actually said he “raped” her before they went to the bathroom.

I doubt its the head trauma thing. It may have go worse after that, BUT he was a jerk before that. I honestly think he becomes a ahole after he drinks…