I’m only writing about it because it happened in Pittsburgh.

In Pittsburgh today, Santonio Holmes was either, according to early reports, escorted from a flight because of “disruptive behavior” or, according to recent reports, simply met at the gate by Allegheny County police upon arrival at Pittsburgh International Airport and reminded by them that he has to turn his iPod off when the flight attendants tell him to.

Either way, I gotta say, it is not that hard to get through an entire life, in fact a long life, without being met at the gate by police upon your arrival at an airport and having an incident report filed about it. There’s a trick to it though and I’m going to share that with you: DO WHAT YOU’RE TOLD, WHEN YOU’RE TOLD TO DO IT.

Let’s go, PENS!

1. L-A
    April 30, 2010 5:50 pm

So he was coming TO Pittsburgh? Isn’t he supposed to be leaving?

2. Sooska
    April 30, 2010 5:55 pm

A 10 Gallon Asshat.

3. Luke Steelerstahl
    April 30, 2010 6:53 pm

DO WHAT I SAY BECAUSE I SAID IT!!!!!!

4. Pa-pop
    April 30, 2010 6:59 pm

Rex Ryan called. Before he talks to Santonio he wants to know what an iPod is.

5. SpudMom
    April 30, 2010 9:37 pm

@L-A – I’m assuming that he has certain things to wrap up here – moving details, perhaps selling his home – that sort of thing.

6. Summer
    April 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Did you see the incredibly wicked sick team effort by the Pens tonight? Fantastic. The Habs had no idea what hit them or what happened to their powerplay and their goal tender.

7. Pittsburgh Tom
    April 30, 2010 10:49 pm

One account said he was on his way to Vegas to watch the big boxing match tomorrow. It made it sound like Pittsburgh was just a stopover.

8. Bojack
    April 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Well, flight attendants HAVE gotten quite surly and bossy lately!!!!

re: previous post “A Really Good Day” +

Penguin VICTORY = A really, really good day!!! :-)

9. gunnlino
    May 1, 2010 7:04 am

Once an asshat always an asshat.

May 1, 2010 9:52 am

But Ginny, he’s black! And the cops ALWAYS have it in for the brothers, even airport cops and attendants now, apparently. Especially in Pittsburgh, we all KNOW how racist we are. See, Santonio is an PATBAWB.* Pittsburgh cops have NO regard for an entitled athlete’s civil rights.

*–Profiled and Aggravated for Traveling by Air While Black, pronounced “asshat”

11. Marc
    May 1, 2010 12:30 pm

See that’s not fair to him. I try not to have to turn off my Ipod on a flight all the time. You just have to know how to get away with it. Before You guys jump on me for creating a risk, it really doesn’t. The Ipod is a self contained device that, to meet industry standards, has to accept outside interference and not interfere. Think about all the necessary high falootin’ (if that’s how it’s spelled) equipment that is necessary to put a tube full of people in the sky? Is an Ipod really going to be the device that screws up take off and landing?

12. Sooska
    May 1, 2010 12:59 pm

My husband said he was on a flight from Atlanta to Birmingham AL when some guy did the same thing-refused to shut off his iPod- and in addition got snarky and argumentative with the attendant. When the plane landed they held all passengers until 2 Federal Air Marshals boarded and cuffed the miscreant. whoa. Asshat is lucky he wasn’t on with that crew.

May 1, 2010 1:02 pm

With any luck, Holmes will now be strip-searched and body-cavity searched by former safeties and cornerbacks every time he sets foot in an airport. If they need probable cause, they can always accuse him of smuggling a python.

14. Xena
    May 1, 2010 1:53 pm

First of all, what does being black have to do with anything? He didn’t comply with a directive on an airliner in the post-9/11 world. I don’t care if he’s green with pink stripes. He deserves the extra attention and my preference would have been the “handcuff the miscreat” scenario.

As to whether iPods can cause crashes; if the pilot, the airlines and the FAA say to turn your electronic devices off–just do it. Maybe it makes no difference at all. But if I am willing to take off my shoes in my advanced age and submit to screening because ONE BOZO TERRORIST tried to blow up a jet with a shoe bomb, the gadget addicts can turn off their devices for the ten minutes or so it takes to get the jet off the ground and land it again. Where do people get the idea that the rules don’t apply to them? You don’t like the rules? Drive. Take the train or the bus. Then you can stay in a wire-up zombie state 24 hours a day. But an airliner is an environment where the safety of everyone depends on everyone’s willingness to put the group’s safety before individual whims and preferences. Forget whether the iPod can bring down the plane. The pilot and crew say to turn off the electronics. The person who won’t comply is just as much a hazard as some crazy drunk who gets out of control and starts a fight with another passenger. At 30,000 feet, everyone on the plane has to care about the safety and comfort of everyone else.

Selfish, narcissistic, and entitled. Not to mention so immature that 10 minutes without an iPod in the ear is worth arguing about or making others uncomfortable.

15. Matt
    May 1, 2010 2:20 pm

Rocker Tommy Lee was once famously filmed by Pam Anderson steering a powerboat with his “equipment”. Perhaps Santonio was just attempting the same feat with his I-Pod.

But according to the Jets website, the story was all wrong. Coach Ryan had simply sent two private security guards to the gate to make sure he keeps his pants on while otherwise sporting green and white. He’s all yours now, Coach.

16. Bojack
    May 1, 2010 3:29 pm

@Marc- EXACTLY!!!! It’s just another nauseating piece of airline
    horsehit to bolster their “cuz we said so” power-trip egos!!

@Xena- “…. if the pilot, the airlines and the FAA say to turn your electronic devices off–just do it. Maybe it makes no difference at all. “

So if they told you disrobe and perform a sexual act??

Just another power grab and abuse by the “man!”

17. Bojack
    May 1, 2010 3:31 pm

PS- If these devices interfered AT ALL they would NOT even be allowed in the cabin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

18. Bojack
    May 1, 2010 3:32 pm

Next thing you know they might try telling you how much salt you can eat!

19. empirechick
    May 1, 2010 4:32 pm

The reason you are asked to turn off all portable electronic devices has nothing to to with them interfering with the plane’s systems. It has everything to do with making sure you are paying attention and/or can hear instructions should there be an emergency.

Take off and landing are the times when something would most likely go wrong, so they want to make sure you can hear if something bad goes down.

(My brother is a pilot and explained this to me when I also didn’t believe my little iPod could screw up the whole plane.)

20. PittGal in WI
    May 1, 2010 4:57 pm

Thank you #19, as a frequent flyer and having numerous pilots in the family, I was going to make the same point. Plus, what is up with this Bojack guy? My thought Bojack is a jacka–.

May 1, 2010 5:31 pm

First of all, what does being black have to do with anything?

Sorry, sarcasm font was off.

Holmes now says (and Ryan backs him up) that this was all a misunderstanding. Says he had his iPod turned off but he fell asleep with the buds still in his ears and the attendant believed he hadn’t complied. Says he handed the iPod to the womn next to him and she listened and confirmed it was turned off. So who knows?

Still hope he’s now on a terrorist watch list.

22. Bojack
    May 1, 2010 5:42 pm

#19, Oh, pay attention time. What a crock of shit.

@Pittgalin WI- stay there wench.

23. Bojack
    May 1, 2010 5:46 pm

Pretty sure “if something bad goes down…” like the F’ing plane, you’re gonna hear it!

24. Bojack
    May 1, 2010 5:52 pm

Life was better when stewardesses were always pretty women under 40 with big busts; and their main job was to feed you, light your cigarettes, and bring you as much liquor as you wanted.

25. SpudMom
    May 1, 2010 5:54 pm

@PittGal – Bojack is our resident…nutter? Well meaning lunatic? Not sure how to politely put it. He means well but sometimes just gets overwhelmed by his passion for the subject and starts going off the deep end. Many here have suggested he not forget to take his medication, but I prefer to think of him as working on his PhD in Crazy. He’s nearly there!

26. Bojack
    May 1, 2010 6:08 pm

@SpudMom-

Call me anything but a Nutting! :-)

27. Cassie
    May 2, 2010 1:51 pm

Let’s go Pens!

Oh, and I’ve come to expect nothing but pure snarkyness from Bojack. I think I’d feel a little empty if he wasn’t such a jerk.

Thanks for always filling that void.

28. SpudMom
    May 2, 2010 2:11 pm

I am a connoisseur of snark – Bojack doesn’t really snark. He’s out and out rude and obnoxious when he gets on a tear. He attacks and name calls. It’s grating.

But it wouldn’t be the comments section of That’s Church if I didn’t roll my eyes at Bojack at least once a day. ;)

29. Bojack
    May 2, 2010 3:38 pm

@Spuds-

I am the Baron de Snark!!!

Not feelin’ the luv Spuds!

May 2, 2010 5:26 pm

I love you, ‘Jack.

31. VAgirl
    May 2, 2010 7:11 pm

Xena and empirechick, very well stated and confirmed. I just skip over Bo-ass when the rant starts.

32. Bojack
    May 2, 2010 9:04 pm

@VAgirl-

Glad you’re in VA! Haters suck!!

33. Bojack
    May 2, 2010 9:25 pm

I also think the great influx of gay men into stewardess jobs
    had a lot to do with morphing the job from enjoyable, young and gorgeous high-end cocktail waitresses into domineering displays of temporary power by a motley assortment of frustrated and jaded queens, and angry old women!

34. VAgirl
    May 3, 2010 2:27 pm

Bo- I don’t hate you I just try not to waste my time. By the way, I am not in VA (Virginia). Lived there about ten years ago but that is not what the VA represents. Expand your mine, you may be able to get out of the trivial gutter that you appear to be mired in.

35. Brighton Heights Jim
    May 3, 2010 2:32 pm

I used to travel quite a bit and have *never* been instructed to turn off my iPod during take-off / landing until last week. I was scolded by the stewardess as if it were a crime against humanity.

Next you won’t be able to chew gum or read a book…
    I can understand wanting passengers to pay attention to the pre-flight preparation, but do you think that someone who hasn’t flown before would have the common sense to pay attention? For those of us who can recite them in our sleep, no need for it. Let me listen to Modest Mouse (and drown out the snoring idiot sitting next to me).