Night unfurls its splendor.

Without a doubt, the Phantom of the Opera is my favorite live show, and I’ve seen quite a few.

I saw it in Dallas while I was in college and my sister and I sat so far back that all the faces were tiny blobs so I still don’t know what the Phantom’s face looks like when he rips his mask off.  Unless it looks like a tiny blob, then yes, I’ve seen the Phantom’s face.

I love the music. The Music of the Night is my favorite and when David Cook sang it on American Idol, it combined two of my favorite things in the world … that song and, you know, David Cook.  A trifecta would be a duet of David Cook and Bryan Adams singing that song. But then I would die from happiness, and I’m too young to die.

Oh, you, STOP writing that email about how much you disagree with my taste in music. And how I’m not all that “young.”

When I learned the Phantom was returning to Pittsburgh one last time, well, my “SQUEEEE!” could be heard a mile down the ocean. My chance to see the Phantom’s face! My chance to hear the music live again.

I began tweeting immediately about how excited I was and one thing led to another and GOOD NEWS FOR YOU!

I’ve been given permission to offer my twitter followers, facebook friends, and blog readers a chance to buy tickets to the Phantom of the Opera before they go on sale to the general public!

Priority Ticket Offer!

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
August 25-September 19, 2010

Benedum Center

Tickets available at Box Office at Theater Square, 412-456-4800 or at this link here.

For his final overture in Pittsburgh THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA returns to the Benedum Center to take your breath away. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s international award-winning phenomenon directed by Harold Prince has woven its magical spell over standing room audiences in more than 100 cities worldwide and is now the longest running show in Broadway history. Don’t miss your last chance to experience this timeless story of seduction and despair and the one show The London Sunday Times called “God’s gift to the musical theatre.”

Use promotional code CHURCHPHANTOM to order your tickets to PHANTOM before they go on sale to the public on Monday, May 10!

Presented by:

PNC Broadway Across America – Pittsburgh

So you have all this week, from now until Sunday, May 9 to buy your tickets to get the best seats in the house. After that, tickets will be available without a promotional code to the general public.

Me, my sisters and my mother will be attending opening night, thanks to the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust. If you go to opening night, let’s all meet in the lobby before the show and toast with Zimas, because I’m pretty sure they still have them there.

I cannot wait. To hear it. To feel it. To see his hidden face once and for all.  Here’s hoping I’ll be all, “It’s so beautiful and haunting in a sexy scarred sort of way!” and not so much, “[gag].”

1. Tina Fey
    May 3, 2010 10:38 am

Now I’m pissed. You’re freaking going without me. Don’t you remember how much fun we had in those ridiculously high seats, once our noses stopped bleeding and the oxygen masks got hooked up?

2. Elianah-Sharon
    May 3, 2010 10:40 am

This is my son’s favourite musical. My son is autistic and he thinks the Phantom is too so he REALLY identifies with him. For his birthday, we took him several Januarys ago. We had center loge (or whatever that first balcony is)…and it was AMAZING. We even fooled Evan into thinking we didn’t have tickets but would stand at the door to try to meet the Phantom when he came in. It was pure MAGIC. I cried when we pulled it off. And, of course, Evan MUST go again this year :) How could you say no to THAT kind of request :)

3. Virginia
    May 3, 2010 10:41 am

Sister, I know!

And I still remember the souvenirs we got. Key chain. Mug that changed colors when it was hot.

You should come home. So we can see his face together.

4. Virginia
    May 3, 2010 10:42 am

Elianah —

If you go opening night, be sure to find me so I can meet him!

5. Phantom's Secret Girlfriend
    May 3, 2010 10:46 am

OMG OMG OMG OMG aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (running through the streets pushing old ladies and children out of the way until I get to the fountain at the Point where I get in and dance like the beginning of friends even though I’m not sure that fountain has water in it right now). This news just changed my life.

6. Virginia
    May 3, 2010 10:47 am

Holy crap! And I thought I was excited! Look at YOU!

7. red pen mama
    May 3, 2010 10:51 am

On it! This is one (of very few) Broadway shows I want to see live. Thanks for being so awesome (again).

8. Jillian
    May 3, 2010 10:54 am

Thank you! I was so excited when I heard they were coming. I’ve seen Phantom twice, NYC and Toronto but never had really great seats. Now I will!

9. Bob M
    May 3, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks! I think you have solved my “what to get the wife for Mother’s Day that will make her go SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” quandary.

10. Bojack
    May 3, 2010 10:59 am

How is the Phantom (preferably Michael Crawford) any LESS
    a sinister perv, using Music in the Night instead of rufies and beer, than Big Ben??

Huh??????

11. RealityCheck
    May 3, 2010 11:04 am

@Bojack:

The same way Spiderman doesn’t get cited by the cops for littering when he leaves his webs stuck to all the buildings.

One is real. The other is not.

Learn the difference.

12. Beth
    May 3, 2010 11:05 am

Does anyone know if this is with live music? I would love to see it, but my husband bought me tickets to the Nutcracker for Christmas and I was very disappointed when the music was canned.

13. Bojack
    May 3, 2010 11:08 am

@RealChick-

Phew!!! Thanks for pointing that out! I was soo confused!

14. G-Man
    May 3, 2010 11:08 am

I registered at the site and entered the promotion code (churchphantom) but the page that comes up does not allow me to order tickets. What gives?

15. djh
    May 3, 2010 11:08 am

Yes, it’s live music. The ballet does 2 shows a season with canned music.

16. Virginia
    May 3, 2010 11:17 am

G-Man, I have an email in for you. I’ll let you know.

Let me know if it ends up working for you before I hear back.

17. Virginia
    May 3, 2010 11:20 am

G-Man, they’re telling me it is working. Make sure you’re typing it in as one word with no spaces?

18. Bojack
    May 3, 2010 11:23 am

PS-@Realitychick-

I don’t think Spidey is above the law!
    And getting special treatment teaches the wrong lessons!!

The PD should cite him!! (right after they get done de-fusing that
    pizza box on Penn Ave!)

19. Elle C.
    May 3, 2010 12:00 pm

I already went on and got 2 tickets! Even though it’s not until September, I am going to give them to my mom this weekend as a Mother’s Day gift!

20. Nay Nay
    May 3, 2010 12:17 pm

I tried to order online but ended up risking my job and called the number listed. I got Director Circle tickets for Friday Sept 10th. She said they were good seats , but really , it’s all good. Thanks Ginny!

21. red pen mama
    May 3, 2010 12:40 pm

Online ordering isn’t working for me, either. What gives?

22. red pen mama
    May 3, 2010 12:41 pm

Never mind! Had to log out and log back in! Score!

23. Ginny's Mom
    May 3, 2010 12:41 pm

Nay Nay the Director Circle seats are wonderful. That is where I always try to get seats. They have the best view in the house.

24. DG
    May 3, 2010 12:45 pm

The last time I saw this live was in late 99/early 00 when I was a million months pregnant. Would be wonderful to actually fit in a seat this time.

25. G-Man
    May 3, 2010 12:58 pm

Ginny
    It worked. I went back and re-entered my stuff and this time the “buy” fields were populated. Got two tickets for Wednesday – opening night.
    I’ll be coming to town from Richmond, VA the weekend before and was planning to stay a few more days to see the Pirates. This will make for the perfect trip.
    I saw Phantom the first time about 10 years ago in Toronto. It remains my all-time favorite musical even though I have only seen it the one time. Hope to run into you in the lobby that night.

26. G-Man
    May 3, 2010 1:00 pm

Ginny –
    Thanks for the tip on Directors Circle. That’s where I will be – left center row AA.
    Now here’s a dumb question. Is the Benedum the old Stanley Theater? I’ve been there for other plays – civic light opera – but always forget which is Benedum and which is Heinz Hall. I think Benedum is Stanely and Heniz is the old Loew’s Penn.
    Am I giving away my age?

27. Carpetbagger
    May 3, 2010 1:17 pm

Are you sure that the Duke of Fug and Earl of Gross is not lurking down there somewhere in the sewer system with a half mask, chasing women around in a boat??

I’m just saying….

28. elysianfantasy
    May 3, 2010 2:22 pm

G-Man, the Benedum is the old Stanley Theater and Heinz is the old Loew’s Penn. In fact, the Benedum still has the old Stanley Theater marquis along its Penn Avenue facade.

Thanks for the promo code, Ginny! I’m still on the fence about getting tix though. Not that I don’t love the musical, it’s just that others have kinda taken its place. *gasp* Don’t hate me. In my top five list of all time favorites, Phantom is #5. Does that count?

29. G-Man
    May 3, 2010 2:58 pm

elysianfantasy –
    Thanks about the theaters. That’s what I remembered but I don’t get to downtown much and was fuzzy on it.
    Just curious what your other top 4 are? On my list, I really love Wicked and Promises Promises circa 1966-ish are great. And West Side Story is still pretty tough to beat. I hear good things about Jersey Boys but have never seen it.

30. Beth
    May 3, 2010 4:06 pm

If the music is live, I am there.

31. KGC
    May 3, 2010 4:39 pm

I’m in.. taking my daughter.. Opening night. See ya there Ginny!

BTW, if you call in you can buy a guaranteed parking pass for $9.00. There’s a Pirate game that night and *who knows?” maybe parking will be a problem. /snort [This is NOT the year. That is all.]

32. elysianfantasy
    May 3, 2010 4:48 pm

@G-Man, my all time favorites are:

1) It’s a tie between Company by Stephen Sondheim (not the 2008 revival…I didn’t like the staging. I’ve seen several local productions and performed in it, and they’ve all been amazing) and Wicked!
    2) Hairspray (no one is better at playing Edna Turnblad than Harvey Fierstein! LOVED seeing him!)
    3) Gypsy
    4) A Little Night Music
    5) Phantom

West Side Story is in my top 10 (#6) along with Cats (yes, I love that musical! I’m not ashamed to admit it!), Evita, Joseph, and Rent.

33. Arwen
    May 3, 2010 4:52 pm

Oh my goodness! Thank you for the opportunity to purchase early! I got my tickets already :) YAY!

34. Pa-pop
    May 3, 2010 6:46 pm

G-Man: If you saw Genesis at the Stanley for the “Duke” Tour (like I did – 1980), then you’ve earned your stripes as an Old Fart (like I have). : ) Now you kids – get off my lawn!

35. Moe the Dog
    May 3, 2010 6:48 pm

Sweeeeet. I now have an anniversary evening planned. The show front and center and we’ll follow that with a dinner at Las Velas.

36. Bojack
    May 3, 2010 8:02 pm

Pa-Pop- Roy Buchanon & the Snakestretchers
    Heinz Hall
    Dec. 16, 1972

The first and LAST time a rocker-type played Heinz Hall!

Smoking was still allowed, indoors, OH HOW THE SYMPHONY
    LADIES WERE TRAUMATIZED, all that weed and liquor? In brand newly refurbed Heinz Hall?? Gawwd!

37. Pa-pop
    May 3, 2010 9:45 pm

Bojack: 12/16/72 was EXACTLY one week before The Immaculate Reception! Damn, I AM old! And when I saw Genesis, Phil Effin Collins had HAIR! Yoy.

About a dozen or so years ago, my wife and I had tix to see Phantom at Pantages in Toronto. A major work thing prevented me from going. She went with a college girlfriend – allegedly. Circumstances will prevent me from going again. :( In the garish light of day, my luck really stinks.

38. Lindsey
    May 3, 2010 9:49 pm

This is awesome! I just bought tickets for my mom and I, and she about peed her pants when I told her! Thanks!!

39. peajay
    May 3, 2010 9:52 pm

Kids and I are going with class for school. We have had planned for about a month now. Only kink in that plan is our tickets are for the first Steelers home game-which we always go to opening game- course now that I think about it, really not a bad idea at all.

40. Bojack
    May 3, 2010 10:55 pm

@PaPop-

You’re not missing anything.
    Micheal Crawford’s version of “Music of the Night” is ok, but I personally think Andrew Lloyd Weber is waaay over-rated.

I’m holding out for Green Day’s “American Idiot,”
    or when I have to go to NYC. which I try to avoid.

It’s nice to go out tho!

41. Bojack
    May 3, 2010 11:12 pm

I need to clarify, the production is great I’m sure. I just feel like after Cats he turned into the WalMart/box-store wtiter of musicals.

42. LuAnn
    May 4, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks for the promo code, Ginny.
    DH and I will be there Sept 4th… it will be nice to see it one last time before the tour closes.

43. Dan-O
    May 5, 2010 10:29 am

THANK YOU for the great blog, and for the advanced ticket purchase option. I walked over to the box office, pulled out the special CHURCHPHANTOM code, and got EXCELLENT seats. Thursday, August 26th (day after opening night) all seats are $10 off. I can’t WAIT to take my 12 year old daughter to see the Phantom – it will be her first broadway show. Well … unless you count Beauty and the Beast … which I don’t …

44. Mermanda
    May 7, 2010 3:17 pm

Thank you for sharing this, Ginny! I just bought my tickets. And thanks to you, they are fabulous! We’re going on a Sunday… but enjoy opening night!