Random n’at

1. The recurring dream I hate more than any other dream — more than the “all my teeth just fell out” dream and the “shit, I think I’m naked in this busy high school hallway” dream — is the dream that I am back in college, it is nearing the end of the semester and I suddenly realize I never attended a single class and now I’m going to flunk out and my Dad is going to be SO PISSED, YOU GUYS.

Is this recurring dream only mine or do you guys have that one, too?

2.  All right, who out there in the 412 texted this because now I’m scared that pigeons know how to turn on ovens and no good can come from that!

(h/t Bobby)

3. The American Academy of Dermatology ranked Pittsburgh as one of the most sun-dumb cities in the country because we have poor sun-smarts, as in, regularly using sunscreen, etc.

A snippet:

• 81% of Pittsburgh residents agreed that people look more attractive with a tan;
  • 65% of Denver residents agreed that people look more attractive with a tan;
  • 73% of Pittsburgh residents believe people look healthier with a tan;
  • 58% of Denver residents believe people look healthier with a tan.

First of all, I hate to say this, but I too believe people look healthier with a tan and yes, a bit more attractive. I know it’s not good for you to bask in the glory of the sun and I know it’s just asking for skin cancer and wrinkles, and yes, I wear facial sunscreen every day even though I’ve got lots of Arab blood running through my veins and that means I don’t have as high of a risk as other. Second of all, Pittsburgh isn’t exactly the sunniest city on Earth and that means that sometimes when the sun comes out we’re all, “Cancer, schmancer. Caress my unprotected face with your deadly cancer-rays, oh Great Ball of Fire!”

(h/t Carly who is moving here in five weeks.)

4.  The buh-buh-BAH! award of the day goes to Seattle Times columnist Ron Judd for this Benny doozy:

Keeping It In His Genes: DNA evidence proves once and for all that prehistoric humans and Neanderthals interbred 50,000 to 80,000 years ago. Scientists said the discovery solves many long-standing human behavioral quandaries, including the ongoing conduct of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Try the veal!

(h/t James)

5. The Bloomfield Development Corporation needs our votes in the Pepsi Refresh project to raise the funds to build a memorial garden in honor of officers Sciullo, Mayhle, and Kelly.

They’re ranked 167 and they need to be top 10 to get the 50k from Pepsi.

Go vote!

(h/t Heather)

6.  I like this. Glamour meets giving at Glitzburgh which benefits Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE SICK KIDS!

7. Craigslist What the Effies? Craigslist What the Effies!

1. MN
    May 10, 2010 1:59 pm

If you doubt that Pittsburgh is sun-dumb, just take a look at most of the high schools. The amount of tanning bed use year-round with these girls (and many of their mothers) just blows my mind! I guess the “orange peel leather look” is in around here!

2. Katrina
    May 10, 2010 2:05 pm

I absolutely have that dream, regularly. It comes in different forms: I’m back in high school and haven’t been going to gym class so I’m going to fail and they will retroactively take away my master’s (I don’t get it either); I haven’t been going to a college class and they’re going to fail me for all of my classes, that’s how bad it was; I’m getting married and I forgot to go to the wedding until the last minute and now I have to go naked. And also, I failed marriage.

3. Leyna
    May 10, 2010 2:06 pm

I have that dream every time I get over stressed…so like once a week.

4. Matt
    May 10, 2010 2:10 pm

#1 – I think those dreams are pretty common. But I can attest that the public nudity one recedes with age, as you eventually become nauseated at the thought of seeing yourself naked.

#7 – Craigslist pixie dust guy. The second stanza of his epic poem pretty much sums it up:
    “Some words should be walls, and
    Some words should be windows.
    Some people should have limits.” And straitjackets, far away from sharp objects.

5. Kathy
    May 10, 2010 2:17 pm

#1 I am too busy having the dream of all of my teeth falling out, like you mentioned. That dream freaks me out everytime. I wish that one would recede with age!!

6. Joe K.
    May 10, 2010 2:27 pm

#3. But if you don’t get any sun you can weaken your immune system by not getting any Vitamin D from sunlight exposure. So I guess it goes back to moderation in everything.

7. Fish
    May 10, 2010 2:32 pm

I have that dream ALL the time. It’s always college and the end result is the same: I will not graduate and my mom is gonna kill me. I just had the dream this weekend but then it morphed into being at the beach (but still in college) and learning Bret Michaels was being named the new Steeler quarterback. Seriously, what is up with that!?!

8. Butcher's Dog
    May 10, 2010 2:34 pm

I haven’t had the losing my teeth dream in a long time. Thanks! Now I really have something to look forward to each night for the next, oh, half-decade or so!

Anyone else have the being chased (possibly wearing only underwear) through back yards and into doors of peoples’ houses? I get that every once in a while. No need to thank me.

9. BlueNumber2
    May 10, 2010 2:34 pm

I’ve had that dream with my teeth falling out ever since I was young. I also sometimes have the dream that I haven’t attended any classes and am unprepared for a test.

Don’t have the naked dream though.

10. Monty
    May 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Everyone else has had the dream in which you look in the mirror and see Ethel Merman’s face on Dom Deluise’s body (nude except for a diaper and a halter top), right?

11. BIGGEORGE
    May 10, 2010 2:42 pm

I have that same dream!!!!!

My problem is I can’t seem to remember IF I went to class all semester!!

BIGGEORGE

12. LucyLou
    May 10, 2010 2:43 pm

LOL Fish…I would SOOOO buy a Bret Michaels jersey!! In the offseason he could load up the Rock of Love Bus with Skippy and Benny’s skanky ho’s. VH1 ratings? Through the roof!!

Naked dream? check. Forgot to study dream? check. How about being at the airport for a flight but being completely unable to get to or find my gate. That’s a constant one for me. That and being able to run effortlessly like an Olympic champion. It’s not even running..it’s gliding. No shortness of breath, no sweating. Marathon distances with minimal effort. Exercise is never more enjoyable than it is in my dreams!

13. gunnlino
    May 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Somebody tell me true, the Craigs List thingys are made up, right ?
    Kinda like the letters in Hustler. Really, right. All these dimwits with no life are made up, right?
    Please, somebody help me understand.

14. Scott
    May 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Yes, totally have that dream. Final exam looming and I realize I haven’t attended in many weeks. Weird.

15. summer78
    May 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Yeah, I have that dream a lot and I HATE it! In mine, I can never even remember what room my class is supposed to be in and I need to get there for the final.

16. PG Wodehouse
    May 10, 2010 3:18 pm

When I was in college, I didn’t go to a class all semester and didn’t graduate on time, so no, I don’t have that dream. It holds no terror for me. I just finished up the next semester.

17. MamaBear
    May 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Teeth-falling-out dreams are caused by anxiety. Have them all the time! Not so much the naked dream or the flunking dreams though. I have also have “my brakes don’t work” dreams.

18. mph
    May 10, 2010 3:20 pm

I’ve never had the teeth dream, and rarely the naked-at-school/work dream, but I have the “OMG I never went to class!” dream all the time. Just within the past couple of nights, again.

19. Al
    May 10, 2010 3:27 pm

I have the dream about a class I never attended. It’s usually finals week and suddenly I realize there was a class on my schedule that I haven’t been to since the first week of the semester.

20. Margie
    May 10, 2010 3:33 pm

@Al, I have that same dream all the time. I also have ones where I have a paper due and I have 5 minutes left to turn it in and it was never started.

The teeth ones are the worst, in mine, my teeth keep growing back in and then fall back out.

21. Lauren
    May 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Definitely have the dream about a final for a class I completely neglected all semester. That, however, is nothing compared to the home invasion dreams or the 100,000 snakes everywhere I look dreams. I need to stop watching so much TV : )

22. RPJ
    May 10, 2010 3:48 pm

#1 YES! I am over 60 and still have my version of the dream. I have been attending the lectures for a class all semester. During final exam week someone asks how I did on the lab final to which I respond — THIS CLASS HAS A LAB???

Then I wake up re-gaining a sense of reality in the middle of the boring meeting that caused me to doze off. Everybody is looking at me because of the gold medal head-snap that I executed to stay in my chair upon waking — or perhaps it’s because I’m naked … and whose teeth are these laying all over the the table?

23. bluzdude
    May 10, 2010 3:57 pm

I’ve been having the “forgot to go to class and now it’s time for finals” dream for almost 30 years now… Probably because it was pretty close to the truth. I skipped a LOT of classes so I could eat pizza and play cards.

I’ve had the “teeth” dream even longer… ever since I busted out a front tooth in high school. I always have the dream where my bridge falls out and there’s nothing left but the little stumps they’re attached to. I always wake up in a panic until I can check my grill and find that all is well.

Unlike LucyLou, I rarely run easily in dreams… another frequent dream is trying to run away from a tornado, but I can’t run, so I end up galloping like a dog. Can’t even begin to figure that one out.

But the oddest are the dream snippets that actually come true in real life, right down to the smallest detail. My last post is about that happening and the one time it totally knocked me for a loop.

I guess we’re preoccupied with dreams today…

24. DG
    May 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Wow, the neuroses level on this site today is very high. My stress dream is I’m getting ready to graduate from law school, and all of a sudden they discover I never actually graduated from college, and there is nothing left to do but take up residence under the Smithfield St. Bridge.

25. Jill
    May 10, 2010 4:28 pm

I have the class dream – usually about law school. In mine I figure I can probably fake the exam but then realize I have no idea when it is and may have already missed it.

26. andrea
    May 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Can’t help noticing that all the posts ended at 4:28, which means everyone was at work, reading That’s Church, and now you’re on your way home, right?

So I hope you check in again so you can see me saying THANKS, everyone — I’d never even heard of the toothless dream! What’s up with that? Why does anyone dream of losing all her teeth?!? What does it mean?

In real life, I have severe vertigo — the stacks at the main Carnegie Library, with their glass floor tiles showing the level below, make my knees buckle. I just can’t be there. So my dream life of falling or flying off buildings or not being able to run when I really need to because there’s a killer approaching me with some terrible weapon… Those are bad.

And my best finals dream, of several regularly recurring versions, is the one where I didn’t even know I was enrolled in the course.

But TEETH??!!? Thanks a lot!

27. Sue
    May 10, 2010 6:00 pm

I totally have that college dream – esp when I am really stressed!!!!!

28. Tina
    May 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Folks – that makes me feel so much better since I have these dreams all the times in different versions and I don’t know why, but I thought I am the only looser (in dreams). Here the two most popular:

1. I never went to my highschool exams and faked my papers and now it is all coming out.

2. I decided to start working before I could finish my final university thesis for my master degree with the plan to finish later on during a vacation or so. Then it is suddenly years later and somebody wants my full paper stuff and I suddenly realize that I finally never graduated from university.

HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!! More than once I got up in the middle of the night checking my papers if they are really there.

Once had the teeth dream (very bad!) but never the naked in the hallway one (thank god).

Sleep well (it is 0.20 am here ;)

29. Noelle
    May 10, 2010 6:43 pm

I often dream I have this long, thick, shiny, golden blond head of hair and I can toss is around and run my fingers through it and it’s totally, totally AWESOME. In reality I have this short, dirty blond, poker straight mop and it won’t do anything I want it to do, like make me look like a victoria’s secret model which is clearly my secret fantasy… Sigh…..

30. Carol
    May 10, 2010 7:31 pm

A friend of my daughter, who is 25 was recently diagnosed with melanoma.
    The surgery she is going to go thru, then the treatment that will follow sounds horrific.

Please, use sunscreens, hats, cover up, whatever it takes. Spray that tan on, use lotions that tan you, whatever.
    She’s 25. Twenty-five…

31. Melissa
    May 10, 2010 7:59 pm

when i am stressed out i dream that all of my teeth are falling out! other fun variations include having to repeatedly spit out bloody pieces of my teeth. tmi?
    i’ve had the teeth dream less frequently lately. it’s been dreams about forgetting to attend high school or college classes and attempting to not fail at life by doing all of the work for the class in one day.

32. Bojack

ELKINS, WV 40
    MT. WASHINGTON, NH 33
    QUILLAYUTE, WA 33
    JUNEAU, AK

33. Woy
    May 10, 2010 9:06 pm

@bojack – seriously – was that necessary?

34. Bojack
    May 10, 2010 9:09 pm

It was supposed to be just the last 10-12 cities, sorry.

35. Pensgirl
    May 10, 2010 10:12 pm

The post about “suntelligence” is a little flip about the issue, and it’s one I think about a lot be. “Tan is better” is an attitude that is engrained in our society and we’re trying to unlearn it. I struggle with it mightily, but I can’t give in because I’ve already been warned: I had a precancerous mole when I was only 20. I’m doing all the right things: sunscreen, hat, large sunglasses, limiting my time outside, etc., and I even refuse to use self-tanner in an effort not to give in to the “tan is better” idea, but I see old pictures from my bake-in-the-sun days and I just sigh that I don’t look like that anymore. The attitude adjustment we need to make societally about tanning is exceedingly difficult to do, even with the kind of incentive I had.

36. hello haha narf
    May 11, 2010 12:08 am

i never dream of being naked in public, probably because i actually like being naked. (issues? why yes, i have em.) the being late for high school dream i have a bunch, though.

but more importantly than me commenting on all of your random thoughts is yaaaaaaaaaaaaay for the ‘notify me of followup comments’ check box!! w00t! (thanks so much for listening to suggestions about your site. way appreciated.)

37. Erin
    May 11, 2010 9:12 am

OMG I have the never-went-to-class dream too. How weird that we all have it!

38. red pen mama
    May 11, 2010 9:31 am

I seldom have the teeth dream, but I often have the “unprepared dream”: didn’t study, can’t find my locker, don’t even remember what room the class is in. Sometimes I mix it up by dreaming I’m about to go onstage (I did some theater in HS & college) and I realize I don’t know an of my lines.

I don’t tan, so I’m fanatical about sunscreen and the like. (I burn then peel. so attractive.) Plus, my brother is a dermatologist, and it’s just best to not let him get started.

#4 made me laugh.

39. DrOlaf
    May 11, 2010 9:35 am

I have the dream where I’m teaching a course and the guest instructor doesn’t show up, so I have to ad-lib for an hour based on my vague recollections of what they do. Oh, wait, that happened for real this semester. Apologies once more to any of my students who are reading this. At least I kep my clothes on while I did it.

May 11, 2010 10:09 am

1. I had a dream the other night that involved discovering that some kind of varmint had burrowed his way into the back of my couch. if anyone has a clue about the meaning of that one, just let me know….

3. how can you tan in pgh if there is no sun?

4. why does benny get all of the hate for what he has done while bret michaels, who tries to hook up with every skank whore with whom he somehow has yet to hook up, is adored by 99.9% of the female population? just askin’…

5. we have to do the pepsi challenge or whatever to get a memorial built for Officers Scuillo, Mayhle, and Kelly? if pepsi had any heart, they’d just fork over the money.

41. Pa-pop
    May 11, 2010 10:34 am

1. My similar dream: Always sitting at a desk with a blue book in front of me, about to take an exam on something I haven’t studied in over 35 years.

2. I wouldn’t worry about pigeons turning ovens on because apparently this dead one didn’t know how to light or turn it off. That, of course, will mean more dead pigeons … except for some homes that may get blown up in the process.

42. ManInBlack
    May 11, 2010 11:12 am

I’ve had the “Oh no, I have a test!” or “I didn’t do my research paper” before. Usually the latter. Then I wake up and remember that I’m old and don’t have to deal with that anymore.

I have the teeth falling out dream all the time. I’ve had it at least twice a month since I was like 10.

43. Baba Wawa
    May 11, 2010 12:05 pm

i’ve had the forgetting to go to class dreams and the teeth ones as well…but i always have funny dreams too…last night i dreamt i was chasing a burglar and looked up at a movie poster and mark wahlberg was starring in a disney movie called “underoos”

44. LaReina
    May 11, 2010 12:06 pm

I’ve dreamed about my teeth falling out as well as the one about not attending class all semester. The latter always ends with me realizing I already have all the degrees I want, so what the heck am I doing back in college?

45. emilie
    May 11, 2010 12:15 pm

I have the teeth dream a lot. Usually in times of stress or anxiety. Someone told me once that the dream meant that your life was about to change in some way. Whenever I’ve had the dream, something in my life does usually happen – I met my husband, got a new job, got pregnant, bought a new house, etc. But I am also a high anxiety person…so..you know.

Never had the college or naked dreams. I do have on re-occuring dream – at least once every few years – same dream since I was a child. It’s a bizarro dream. Anyway…

46. Cnik
    May 11, 2010 1:02 pm

I always have the same nightmare of not being prepared for an exam or forgetting to attend a class until it’s time for the final exam.

What blew me away though was the website about “this man” that seems to appear in everyone’s dreams (I’ve had him appear in a few of mine and it was creepy when i saw the website about this happening) :> http://thisman.org

47. Summer
    May 11, 2010 1:14 pm

I always dream I can fly … then I look down and realize a pack of wolves are following me and waiting for me to fall. Once I realize that, I start sinking …

48. Dash66
    May 11, 2010 1:23 pm

I don’t have the dream of the not having been to class on the last day before finals. I guess that’s becuase I actually lived that one. (and people wonder how I had a 0.97 GPA my freshman year) Same for the being naked in the hallway at school. Oh how I miss the glory days of streaking! :-)

49. VAgirl
    May 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Very interesting about the dreams. Yes I have had a similar dreams, remembering at the end of the term that I had a class that I never attended and trying to figure out how to get the assignments…As for sun, I don’t want to turn into the lady from “something about Mary”. I want mine to be from laughing!

50. Arlene
    May 11, 2010 8:24 pm

I have the forgot a class dream about once a year. Anyone know what it represents, especially since I’m 25 years out of college?
    My worst recurring dream is that someone is going to attack me and I open my mouth to scream and nothing will come out. It’s been awhile since I had that one and now will probably have it.