Sad.

Just … sad!

What a sad game and a sad ending for the Igloo (not that there could be a happy ending, but still. I said happy ending. Heh.)

Marc-Andre Fleury’s performance was sad, especially for a goalie of his caliber, but I’m not about to take the weight of losing this series and throw it on his shoulders like I’m dropping an elephant on a toothpick expecting it to hold the weight.  Lots of blame. Lots of places. Sad sad places.

I yanked three gray hairs out of my head this morning, even though my hair stylist tells me I should just cut them super short with scissors instead of doing what I do, which is see one, freak, yank, weep.  My point is that the game aged me so much I grew three gray hairs overnight. My heart aged in dog years. Sad.

It was as I feared. Cinderella is still the belle of the ball and I’m not sure who the Penguins are in this story. The step sisters? The stepmother? The mice that know how to sew? The pumpkin?

So much sad …

Know what else is sad? I can’t hate the Habs. There’s no Marian Hossa on their team on whom I wish harm. There’s no one I can stab in the voodoo doll crotch. They outplayed us and hell, I’m okay if they win the Cup.

But I’ll be sad that we’re the ones who have to give it to them and I’ll be sad they won it by beating a path through Pittsburgh during the Igloo’s last stand.

I’m not going to judge the entire season by one sad game. I’m not going to let the memory of this game hold more weight than all the other games combined, even though this game ended our season. That’s a disservice to our boys who fought too long and too hard for us to wash away the months and months of joy they gave us simply because of sixty minutes of sad hockey.

I wish I was writing a different post. I wish we won. I wish Fleury had been Fleury.  I wish Mrs. Malkin had superpowers. I wish Max Talbot had been a hero again. I wish the Malkin Beast had been unleashed. I wish we scored four goals in two minutes and then they made a movie about it. I wish we had more time before all we have to watch are the Pirates. I wish Cinderella’s fat ass tripped down the stairs of the castle and landed in a fresh pile of horse poop.

I really wish I’d stop finding gray hairs.

1. Pa-pop
    May 13, 2010 2:20 pm

I have alerted friends and family that they won’t have to declare any self-imposed embargos against talking to or otherwise contacting me today due to their likely perception I’m standing on a bridge railing because, if anything, last night’s debacle has produced a profound sense of numbness between my ears – my wife would say it’s been there for years – and as a result I feel … nothing.

And there is virtually nothing going on right now to replace the nothingness. The Nuttings of Buccitude make it difficult for me to rev up the sort of passion I used to feel for the Pirates. Steeler training camp starts in a little over two months but the radioactive cloud from Big Ben will cover the gridiron landscape until at least Thanksgiving if not the whole football season.

So, I suspect only two things will eventually lift the curious haze of indifference that envelopes me: Saving the Igloo and promoting its creative reutilization, and the knowledge that the next Penguin hockey season starts in a mere 143 days or so.

2. aDerek
    May 13, 2010 2:23 pm

Sad and numb, too. And this sucky, sad weather suits the mood. Going back to the Letang sexyhair photos to brighten my mood.

And, uh, what’s the deal with that Foot Locker pic?

3. Magnus Patris
    May 13, 2010 2:25 pm

My favorite team for the rest of the season will be whichever team keeps Marian Hossa from getting his name on the cup.

4. Virginia
    May 13, 2010 2:26 pm

aDerek,

Those are Habs fans looting in Montreal in “celebration” of the win. For serious.

5. PG Wodehouse
    May 13, 2010 2:30 pm

I wish Hal Gill and The Piece were still on the Penguins.

6. Dana
    May 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I can’t hate the Habs either. They are destined to win the cup. I haven’t done research about this, but I was in Toronto last weekend and a guy at the bar told me that the Canadiens have won at least one Stanley Cup each decade…except for this one. Although it’s 2010, this is still technically the 2009-2010 season, so it’s their last chance. I’m usually not a superstitious person, but I think the hockey Gods are on Montreal’s side this year.

7. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Sad, but it will pass. We have plenty of years to look forward to more playoff madness.

8. Leyna
    May 13, 2010 2:39 pm

I think Hal Gill is a lucky charm.

9. Jeff
    May 13, 2010 2:42 pm

I think the Crosby >>> Ovechkin crowd needs to take a step back. If Crosby won a title this year maybe it’d make a difference, but let’s see how many titles they each have in 5 years… just a bad bad effort on both of their teams’ parts.

10. PA Girl in VA
    May 13, 2010 2:44 pm

When does the 2010-2011 season start? I miss the Pens already! What the hell am I going to watch every other night for the next few months?

And BTW, the VERY FIRST THING words out of my 6 year old’s mouth when he woke up this morning was, “Who won, Mommy?” He went to bed crying because the Pens were losing and he cried again this morning when he found out they were done for the season. I think that the Pens (and Letang’s sexyhair) need to come down to Virginia and personally apologize to my little boy!

11. _meganORSI__
    May 13, 2010 2:45 pm

::sadface::

I love playoff hockey – even though it makes me feel like I could pass out at any given moment. There’s something about hockey, something about hockey in Pittsburgh… just something about those PENS that I love to watch so much.

I’m sad, sure, that we lost. But I’m more sad that I can’t watch them again for another, what, 143 days?

I’m not sure who wrote it, or where I read it but, something to look forward to: Sidney Crosby will now have an extra month to find that tiny thing wrong with his game and perfect it to unworldly levels. Ok, so it’s not verbatim, but you get the drift.

So, when’s the next Pen’s game?

12. rickh
    May 13, 2010 2:46 pm

My first thought this morning was that it’s now baseball season. Sad indeed.

13. CrashJK
    May 13, 2010 2:49 pm

It happens…we are strong, we’ll start a new era at the CEC in October…until then…

Charlie says DO IT !

14. spoon
    May 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Know why it was sad…
    1) it was the last time I’ll sit in my seat of 10 years in F2 and I couldn’t rip it out to take home
    2) I had to shave my beard off this morning
    3) no more Power Play Burrito made from love by a woman with no teeth
    4) no more hike from downtown, dodging traffic and fighting homeless people to get to the game
    5) no more cramming into a seat that my knees hit the railing in front
    6) goodbye Pens Patrol (seriously, why are they even still around?)
    7) If I want to hear TC or COTTON CANDY HERE I have to suck it up and go to a pirates game
    8) oh God… Pirates baseball is all I have this summer.

People, we have been given the gift of TWO YEARS RUNNING going to the Cup finals. that’s insane in any sport.. unless you’re in Buffalo in which case, WIDE TO THE RIGHT! WIDE TO THE RIGHT! Hold your heads up high and look to the Consol Energy Center where next year we can christen it with a Cup.

Mike Lange said it best last night, “for one last time, Elvis has just left the building…”

May 13, 2010 2:53 pm

sucks.

16. Joe K.
    May 13, 2010 3:00 pm

It’s just too hard to keep it going three years in a row. But the Pens lost on merit, they just weren’t good enough this year from the top down, and heck, neither was Detroit. They still have a great, young core of players and they just need to re-tool and go at it next year.

17. bluzdude
    May 13, 2010 3:06 pm

The bad part is that they started to come back juuuuust enough to make us think they were about to pull off the greatest Game 7 comeback ever and theeeeeeeen… Nope. Stupid Habs…

It’s noteworthy that after the game, watching an unsettling episode of Lost that featured matricide actually made me feel better.

18. gunnlino
    May 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Yeah, all of that and my Johnny Wakers almost al gone…..

19. Monty
    May 13, 2010 3:20 pm

@ spoon — testify!

20. Kathy
    May 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Know what was really sad?? Did any of you see the puppet monkey or whatever that “thing” was behind the Pens bench last night at the game? THAT was sad.

21. efw_west
    May 13, 2010 3:49 pm

I know the flower is the popular whipping boy at the moment, but man, that play by Gonchar on the short-handed goal by Montreal was one of the worse sports moments I have ever seen. That was a true picture of “matador” defense (i.e. Gonchar looked like a bullfighter holding the red cape and allowing the bull to walk right through the cape). How can you let someone just skate right past you? That was the end of the game right there,

22. Pensgirl
    May 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Here’s the thing: they live and die as a team. They all play fantastic at the same time, and they all suck at the same time. Last night, they sucked. And it sucks that they sucked, but mostly because we hoped to let the Igloo go out on top.

After two long seasons and, for the big guns, an emotionally-grueling Olympics, I’m not upset by this loss. They came out of the gates strong in October but have looked out of gas and out of sorts since November, and that’s OK. It’s just hockey; it’s not like they were out there saving lives. They’ll rest, they’ll regroup, Shero will let some go and bring some new ones in, and they’ll be fresh and rarin’ to go come September.

’93 and ’96 hurt. This one…really doesn’t.

23. Sooska
    May 13, 2010 4:12 pm

well said Pensgirl.

I wrote this right after the game ended.
    We will be back next year; rested, fresh,
    new and ready to win. Goodbye Civic Arena. Farewell Lady Mellon. Au revoir Igloo. As you melt into the summer sun we will remember you and
    the ghosts of exploits past. Is it October yet?

24. Kim
    May 13, 2010 4:20 pm

I am that kitty.

I miss Letang already! And all the others, of course. But since I live in Chicago (but from Pittsburgh), I’ll now have to root for the Hawks – but what about Hossa?! Such a dilemma.

25. Carpetbagger
    May 13, 2010 4:22 pm

You knew it was bad when the best stick handling of the night was the short video tape of Malkin’s dad.

26. Schuyler
    May 13, 2010 4:25 pm

I can’t cheer for the Habs – their fans are just TOO annoying. Booing at every moment of every home game. Can’t listen to that.

And the defense left Fleury out to to dry last night. They Pens didn’t come out playing and they lost. And it sucks.

May 13, 2010 4:28 pm

@ kathy — yes, I saw that monkey. actually, I think the dude next to him had his hand up the monkey’s butt, so I’m assuming that it was a ventriloquist’s dummy…..

@ spoon — your #3 = win.

28. Butcher's Dog
    May 13, 2010 4:34 pm

OK, people…one moment left to channel that hockey energy! The Flyers are still alive! They play a game 7 tomorrow night (Friday) in Boston with a hot goalie against a banged-up opponent. Flyers in the Conference Final could be one of the worst moments ever, and Flyers winning The Cup when the Pens flopped like they did last night is Worst Moment Ever, hands-down. So focus, people. Channel that energy. Say No! to all things Philadelphia.

Then we can all breathe, imagine our hockey heroes resting and recharging, and wait until Consol opens in the fall. But not until then.

29. Kristin
    May 13, 2010 4:39 pm

I guess under normal circumstances, I would be disappointed they lost, but then I would just look toward next season. But this loss really got to me b/c it was the last game at the Igloo. Maybe it hurts me more than others b/c I don’t live in Pittsburgh anymore so everytime I think of the Igloo I think of all the good times I had there as a kid, cheering for Mario and Jagr (and also seeing Sesame Street On Ice a million times). I just wish the last hockey game played there had been a win so the old girl could go out with a bang (and not the bang that will break my heart if they tear her down). I definitely shed some tears and it didn’t help when they showed Flower in the tunnel sadly looking at his team and feeling helpless. Very sad :( Ok wow, that was depressing!

30. PensAreYourDaddy
    May 13, 2010 5:13 pm

This will be a rambling post, and for that I apologize.

I love this team. They have given us so many great moments over the last couple of years. We all know they will come back stronger and wow us once again.

I will miss the Igloo. It still hasn’t set in yet that I won’t be going back there to watch the Pens ever again. Sad.

I can’t believe the guy with the Halak monkey was sitting in my freaking seat. I hate the Habs and their fans. Calamari and company need a big, collective punch in the face, and it won’t bother me at all if the Flyers are the team that does it.

On that note, I am rooting for the Flyers to beat Boston Friday night. For one thing, it means the Pens will no longer be the answer to “what was the last team to blow a 3-0 lead in the playoffs?”. Also, I remember watching the Flyers being swept in the Cup Final in ’97 and it was absolutely delicious. Let’s do that again.

People who say the Pens weren’t good enough to win this year, you are insane. You may think you understand playoff hockey, but you don’t. Any team that makes it out of the first round is capable of winning it all. Do you think we were so great last year? This could have EASILY been our fate last year. We were a flukey overtime goal away from being down 3-0 to the Caps, and that would have been lights out for us. But we got through that test and ended up winning. This year, if we could have held that lead in the 3rd period of game 4, more than likely we would have ended it in 5 games. Sorry, that’s just how fine the line is between winning and losing.

Lastly, if the Canadiens do happen to win it all, at least this time they did it by beating us, unlike their last Cup, which was basically won by David Volek.

31. Politicalpartypooper
    May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Buck up, Pittsburgh campers! It’s great to see such awesome fans. You’d fit in, in Green Bay, where even -10 degrees is a reason to drink beer at a Packer game, and you never really lost that last game…you just ran out of time.

When you are a sports fan, there is just no replacing that excitement, that anticipation of the game. Even winning a championship is a letdown compared to fighting for that championship. The season always ends, but so long as you are alive, the next game will always come.

32. NorthGl
    May 13, 2010 5:28 pm

I’m totally empty. I don’t know what to watch on TV anymore. I watched all the hockey playoff series games wanting them all to go to 7 games so they’d be tired when they met the Penguins. I can cancel my Direct TV now and not miss it. I’d start dinner at 6, my husband got home at 6:45, we’d eat in front of the TV and watch hockey almost every night. Now what? Did it stop snowing yet?

33. G-Man
    May 13, 2010 6:06 pm

A couple of not-so-fun facts. Mellon is the oldest NHL Arena. It’s first and last NHL games were both won by Montreal Canadiens. Previous oldest arena was Maple Leaf Gardens. Its first and last games were both won by Chicago Blackhawks. Moral: Don’t play your arena’s last game agains the same team that you played first if you want to win.
    2nd fact: Montreal won the cup in the cup’s 100th anniversary year. This is the Canadiens’ 100th anniversary year. If they win, I will swear it’s a league fix!

34. PensAreYourDaddy
    May 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I have to agree with partypooper’s comments.

The thing I found most nauseating about last night was not even the loss, but rather the number of fans who left early. What a joke. It was one thing when we went to triple OT against Ottawa and folks had to leave because they had babysitters at home or whatever, but come on, the last game of our season, last game ever at the Igloo, and you couldn’t stick around to give our boys and our building a proper sendoff and maybe deal with a little traffic?

35. PA Girl in VA
    May 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Butcher’s Dog hit on a good point and made me realize how I truly feel right now. I DO still care about the playoffs because the f-ing Flyers are still alive! The Bruins must KILL them in game 7. So many on that team annoy the crap out of me – Asham, Carcillo, etc. But the WORST OF THE WORST is Hartnell. Other than Ovechkin, he’s the only player who could get smacked upside the head with a stick and I wouldn’t bat an eyelash. I’m from “that side” of the state and hate all things Philly. Go Bruins! After the Flyers are out, then I won’t care who wins.