Ruh roh?

There’s a lot of things I dread happening.

Tax time.

The eventual demise of every Hollywood marriage I think is “awwwww, cute!”

My first speeding ticket. OMG KNOCK ON WOOD. I’m so getting a ticket next week for jinxing it like that. I mean, I could delete it, but I already typed it out and no backsies.

My next gray hair.

Jeff Reed’s next arrest.

Benny’s first game back as a Steeler.

Above all, the thing I’m dreading the most lately? The first negative story about Sidney Crosby’s off-the-ice behavior.

I keep wondering, when am I going to hear he got wasted on the South Side, grabbed some girl’s boobs before smacking her on the ass and making a five-hole joke? When am I going to hear he refused to sign autographs? When am I going to hear he was cited for public urination, intoxication, or indecency? When did I become so cynical of professional athletes’ ability to stay humble, grounded, in a proper perspective, and out of jail?

So I read this and I got a little “ruh roh.”

The team’s highest-profile player also will be making a move on his own. Or, to be more precise, out on his own.

Center and captain Sidney Crosby has bought a home in the Pittsburgh area after a few years of looking for the right place. He has not yet occupied it.

Since he arrived in Pittsburgh as a rookie shortly after his 18th birthday for the start of 2005-06, Crosby, now 22, has lived during the season with the family of Mario Lemieux, the Penguins’ Hall of Fame center and now co-owner. Crosby’s new house is not far from the Lemieux home.

Part of me is all, “Good for you, Sid! Go be an adult in your own house. You’ve earned it because you’re more grown up than some men two decades older than you and because you have a billion dollars and you might as well start spending it. Related: I like diamonds.”

Another part of me is all, “Is this where it starts?”

I don’t share the stories, but I am often emailed fantastic stories about Sidney. Unbelievably fantastic. The yin to Benny’s yang. That sounded dirty. Moving on.

The cynic in me is just sitting here waiting for the other hockey skate to drop.

I’m going to put my cynicism aside and tell myself that despite recent events (Tiger Woods, Benny, LT, Tiki Barber), not all athletes become assholes. Sid’s got too much to lose, too many family members who won’t let him change now that he’ll be on his own, too much fear of Nathalie Lemieux showing up at his house with marching orders from his mother to ground his butt and drag him back to Natalie’s house by his ear, too much love for Mario to ever disappoint him, too much respect for the kids who look up to him to ever tarnish his public image, and probably way too much security for me to stalk him at his new place without getting arrested.

I’m also dreading my first restraining order.

1. CrashJK
    May 14, 2010 10:45 am

Ain’t gonna happen Ginny…calm down and have a nice decaf iced latte…Now if Superstar and Tanger show up for a house warming party at Chateau Le Crosby….well…all bets are off…

LETS Go PENS…CEC Era is Coming…

2. jennviolet
    May 14, 2010 10:52 am

He hails from the Great White North. He’s good as golden. Don’tchaknow?

3. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 14, 2010 11:02 am

Sid will be fine. Even when he’s out in public with teammates, he’s alway hanging back, not making a fuss. He’s one of the good ones.

May 14, 2010 11:04 am

He’s had four years of Mario showing him what class looks like. I expect that has rubbed off.

5. mis
    May 14, 2010 11:04 am

I have complete faith in him but if I see him on a motorcycle without a helmet all bets are off!

May 14, 2010 11:11 am

Y’know, I saw on ESPN the other day where Bennie completed his psych evaluation, and I thought to myself, what if they found out he’s a stone sociopath, and the only reason he hasn’t killed a half dozen coeds by now is BECAUSE he’s under public scrutiny?

Seriously, there are, what, 1,500 players in the NFL? Odds are very good that five or 10 of them are (and I mean this clinically) psychopaths. Does that disqualify them from being football players? Apparently not. Does that disqualify us from rooting for them, since they haven’t killed anybody yet?

I mean, really: What do the Rooneys do with the guy if the report comes back and says “Mr. Roethlisberger has no conscience and no soul. We cannot find a shred of human feeling in his profile”? Do they say, “Perfect, exactly what you want in a quarterback”?

7. Burgh Baby
    May 14, 2010 11:14 am

You’ve never gotten a speeding ticket? NEVER? How the hell? Do you drive like a grandma? Are you too busy digging through the piles of kid crap to put your foot on the pedal? I need answers, woman.

8. JennLP
    May 14, 2010 11:18 am

I don’t think there is anything to worry about. Think about it in this context:

I turned 18 shortly after graduating from high school and went off to college. Up until the end of of my junior year, I went home to my parents during semester and summer breaks.

I turned 22 shortly after graduating from college. I packed up my stuff, moved out of state to attend graduate school and was out on my own, pretty confident that I could manage because my parents had given me the opportunity to slowly ease out into the world. And I know that I am not the only student who did this.

Professional career aside, Sidney has taken the path of a lot (note I say “A LOT, not all) college students to learning how to manage on his own. He had a nest for a few years to come home to. Now it is time for him to make his own.

Besides, doesn’t he own a house in Cole Harbour that he lives in off season? Granted Cole Harbour does not have quite the same glamour and night life as Pittsburgh, but I suspect that if he was acting up, you would be hearing rumors coming out of there.

9. spoon
    May 14, 2010 11:21 am

Benny will be that crazy guy in the guest house who cleans his pool

10. bluzdude
    May 14, 2010 11:25 am

I’m not worried about Sid. He’s probably studying right now on how to remodel a house, replace flooring, wiring and plumbing.

Then when he’s done with that, he’ll train to build his own furniture and arrange it for maximum efficiency.

The Kid’s not going to have time to get into trouble. (without help from Max and Tanger, like Crash says.)

11. Pa-pop
    May 14, 2010 11:25 am

You probably feel like my mother did when I moved into my own place at age 22. Except I suspect there is a big difference in my first place and Sid’s first place. He’ll be okay, and who knows: maybe Ben’s sordid public yang will add just the right amount of pressure to ensure Sid’s yin remains shiny and pristine.

12. Katie
    May 14, 2010 11:28 am

It is sad that we expect that from athletes, isn’t it? Anyway… I think we all need to remember that Sidney is from Canada, which significantly lessens his chances for socially unacceptable behavior. I simultaneously want to shake my fist at them all for being goody-two-shoes and hug them all for being so damn adorable.

13. Monty
    May 14, 2010 11:39 am

If he shows up at Spencers looking for decor, we’re pretty much f’ed.

14. MaryQ
    May 14, 2010 11:45 am

I think Sid’s one of the good guys,too. He’s had a good teacher in Mario. It certainly says something that the worse they can print about Sid is that he lost his temper on the ice. What? Have you never seen a hockey game? Who DOESN’T lose their temper on the ice?
    He’s shown more maturity than a certain NFL player in this town and I expect that will continue.

15. MB
    May 14, 2010 11:51 am

I think I need to go buy a Crosby jersey and wear it to the Steeler Games!

16. Erin
    May 14, 2010 12:07 pm

You’ve never gotten a speeding ticket?? Damn!

Well, Mario never got in any trouble either. So it takes some pressure off to realize that the weight of the world isn’t resting on Sid’s shoulders.

17. Dana
    May 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Sid has had media coaches since the age of five (maybe not really, but that’s an estimation). The guy knows exactly how to act and what to say. Like my mom said after Ben’s mess became public: “It sounds like Sidney Crosby needs to have a nice, long talk with Roethlisberger.”

18. Caitlan
    May 14, 2010 12:17 pm

You do not have to worry about Sidney. He took his time finding the right house (I’m sure it’s set back from the street and private, much like Mario’s) just like he does everything–deliberately. He has spent his entire life in the public eye and values his reputation and how that reflects on the Penguins and Pittsburgh (and Canada and Cole Harbour). I’m not sure Sidney will ever do anything that would cause someone to raise an eyebrow.

19. Woy
    May 14, 2010 12:30 pm

When does Tammy move in?

20. M
    May 14, 2010 12:31 pm

I haven’t done too much Internet stalking, but I think he’s been with the same girl for over a year. (I’ve only heard this through my sister-in-law who is friends with his girlfriend’s sister…if you can follow that…and she’s a Caps fan.) If it’s true; its gotta count for something too. Its looking like the odds are in his favor.

21. Carpetbagger
    May 14, 2010 12:45 pm

There’s a Zima truck unloading at Sid’s new place. Is that good or bad?

(Is there enough Zima left in the world that they still need a truck?)

22. Joe K.
    May 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Never a speeding ticket? Not even a warning where you had to fake tears?

I think Sid will be fine, as others have said he’s been in the spotlight for a long time.

23. Sooska
    May 14, 2010 12:52 pm

WOW. Never thought I’d say you have now stooped to the level of all the Flyers and Caps fans.

Sidney Crosby isn’t Roethlisberger or Woods. Anyone can tell the difference in how Sid behaves around the sick kids at Childrens, at the Bowl-A-thons, the Project Bundle Up events or at the hockey camps. You can’t fake that sincerity.

Now I understand when my family gets frustrated with my cynicism. It is very ugly.

24. Pens Fan
    May 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Woy – I love how you think. :)

25. PA Girl in VA
    May 14, 2010 2:24 pm

I wonder if he’s looking for a roommate.

26. PDT
    May 14, 2010 2:27 pm

Rumor has it that he as been dating a model based out of New York but is from Washington (hence the above comment mentionion the girlfriend’s sister is a Caps fan.

27. Pensgirl
    May 14, 2010 2:30 pm

He has owned a house in Nova Scotia since his rookie season. If living on his own was going to get him in trouble, it would have already happened up there, especially since that’s where he is on his down time.

No worries.

28. one-eyed dick
    May 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Any truth to the rumor that Ben took Sid back to his alma mater a couple weeks ago??

29. Mark
    May 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Gin, 22 in hockey years = 35 years in regular Joe years and apparently 12 in pro football years. Sid is in our neck of the woods in Sewickley very close to Mario so that proximity and relationship will remain.

30. babelbabe
    May 14, 2010 5:20 pm

not gonna happen. he’s class all the way. and look how handsome he is. it’s sort of surprising how few nasty stories you hear about hockey players – i mean, yes, lots of aggression comes out on the ice, but they can’t all be totally nice guys, can they?

31. PDT
    May 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Clearly you have never heard the stories of debauchery that occur during Canadian Junior Hockey. That is why I always chuckle when I hear these stories about how wholesome the Pens and Canadian hockey players are…It is kind of a load of crap.

32. PensAreYourDaddy
    May 14, 2010 6:55 pm

@PDT #26 – thanks for clearing that up. I couldn’t tell if it was the sister-in-law, the girlfriend or the girlfriend’s sister who was the Caps fan!

33. PittCheMBA
    May 14, 2010 7:30 pm

You do not have to worry about Sid. I would be worried if he bought a house in Milledgeville, Georgia. Sounds like he made a good decision, not too far from Mario.

34. Lisa J
    May 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Sid will be fine. He’s had Mario to teach him how to behave. I only ever almost heard one bad story about Mario and it was from a psycho ex-girlfriend. Hell it wasn’t even that bad. If Sid was going to get into trouble, there would at least be some signs by now. He’s just moving out of his “parents” house.

35. Ecstatic Pitt Student
    May 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Completely unrelated but…I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw this headline “Pirates end 4-game skid with … offense?” as a breaking news headline at the Post Gazette website. Even the news is snarky about the Pirates.

36. Cliff Claven
    May 14, 2010 11:58 pm

How is a 22 year old multimillionaire moving out on his own a sign of bad things to come? If anything, its more worrisome that he’s lived with Mario for this long.

37. Matt
    May 15, 2010 12:11 pm

@36 – I’m glad someone else said it first. I’m used to the 22 year olds moving back in because they don’t have enough money to live on their own. But not moving out because you have too much? Time to get your own address, Sid. BTW, thanks for another great year.

38. Luke Steelerstahl
    May 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Me and Sid are gonna be at Zen tonight.

I expect to see all my usual bitches and hos there!

39. beaner
    May 16, 2010 10:27 am

Spoon–ha!ha!

40. Ang
    May 16, 2010 10:57 pm

My sister and her friends saw Sid, Malking, Talbot & Guerin out at Diesel this past weekend. They were by themselves in the VIP area, and I guess making themselves known that they were there…but no girls except for Billy G’s wife.

I share your fear.

41. Ang
    May 16, 2010 10:58 pm

woops. Malkin. not Malking.

42. Cassie
    May 17, 2010 11:50 am

He’s not dumb. I think we’ll be OK.

43. Munkspot
    May 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Ok – So here’s my TV show pitch…

Title: “The Odd Couple: Pittsburgh”
    Plot: As part of his rehabilitation Benny is forced to move in with Sid in his new house in Sewickley. Sid works with Benny to show him how a national sports hero is supposed to act. Benny’s faltering and shenanigans continuously get them into zany situations. Hilarity ensues…

And to help you picture it… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6jakN89zo

44. Karen
    May 17, 2010 3:00 pm

Umm…if he bought a house near Mario then he is living in Sewickley…not a hot bed for trouble unless he plans on holding up the Starbucks or streaking down Beaver Street.

May 17, 2010 3:54 pm

she said, “streaking”….

and, “beaver”………

46. Karen
    May 17, 2010 4:19 pm

LOL @ unsatisfied…I walked right into that one and didn’t even know it!

47. Patti J.
    May 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Sid’s like Tom Brady. He’ll get someone rich, beautiful, and smart… a female version of himself.