Lost.

Let’s talk about television this morning, shall we?

Last night marked the series finale of Lost, and if Twitter is any indication, THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD watched it.

I didn’t. In fact, I have a history of missing big finales. Seinfeld? Never saw it. Still haven’t. Meh.

Friends? Think I saw it as a rerun. Not sure. Meh.

I was a huge fan of Lost during its first three seasons, regularly telling my husband, “You need to start watching this show because my brain is all KABLOOEY!” But I sort of fell away from it when I had amassed eight old episodes of the show on my Tivo and was like, “Blah. Whatever. Delete.” I was a pregnant working mother. Who has eight hours to kill as a pregnant working mother? That’s a trick question. NO pregnant working mother has eight hours to kill for anything other than sweet sweet … sweet sweet sleep. And swiss rolls.

I especially couldn’t spare eight hours for a show that would end all eight of those episodes with my jaw on the floor, tears in my eyes, and questions rolling around in my brain like, “Wait. Maybe the smoke monster is supposed to be Satan and the snowy white polar bear is God, but why would God try to eat the islanders and OMG IS CHARLIE GOING TO DIE and if you add 4 + 8 + 15 and carry the one and divide it by the square root of 23 and multiply it by 42, does that equal 666? and I feel nauseous and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT!!!!!!”

I like my TV to not tax my brain so much, eh? And I particularly like my TV to not EVER make me get out my calculator, which is why I don’t watch “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?” So I gave up. I tried to get back into it this year, but I found I preferred NCIS: LA. Don’t judge me!

Having said that, I can absolutely understand the devotion many people feel toward Lost, and I can understand their attachment and their sadness that it’s over, because there’s this — despite what those of you who are all, “I don’t even OWN a TV! [chest thumps]!” will claim, yes, I admire that you can live without TV, and yes, sometimes TV is a giant waste of time, a sucker of energy, a box of vapidity, but sometimes, TV is art. And art is designed to elicit emotion and to stick with you after you’ve torn your eyes away from it.

I am one of those people who have been moved to action and creativity by stories I see in television and movies. I would tell you what some of those movies and shows are, but again, you will judge me for being the dork I am. A Walk to Remember. What?!

Some made-up stories matter and move us. That’s what Lost did for so many people and if I had stuck it out as swiss roll-snarfing pregnant working mother, I would be one of them.

One of those people really moved by Lost is SALLY WIGGIN SALLY WIGGIN SALLY WIGGIN, who wrote a perfect blog post about how she feels about Lost’s conclusion. Her emotion is palpable.

I imagine she feels how I felt when Moonlight ended. What?! Shut up.

P.S. Did they ever explain the numbers?!

May 24, 2010 9:47 am

THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD watched it.

I didn’t either.

And you know what? If 30 million people watched it (which is a lot in TV terms), it means 270 million people didn’t, which is a lot in human terms, and couldn’t possibly care less. I’m not picking on you here, Ginny, but I simply loathe the whole “EVERYONE’S watching/reading/listening to!!!” construction when it turns out that like 1-5 million people are and 295-299 million people don’t give a flucking fye. Oh huge and all-encompassing media empires: Quit trying to make the vast vast vast majority of us who don’t care feel like WE’RE the weird ones.

/rant over

2. johnaz6312
    May 24, 2010 9:53 am

Never saw 1 episode of this show & sure didn’t see the finale. I asure you I will get over it.

3. J
    May 24, 2010 10:05 am

i also never saw one, single episode of lost….and i could really care less. well, i guess technically i could not care less. i tend to have a strong distaste for shows that seemingly the entire world is watching. i suppose i like to create my own revolt against it. i never watched seinfield to begin with, let alone the finale. *shrug*

4. Magnus Patris
    May 24, 2010 10:08 am

I thought everyone was talking about “Gilligan’s Island” when they were all “Who’s gonna get off the island?” Now there’s a show that didn’t hurt your brain. Professor comes up with plan to get off island; Skipper builds it; Mary Ann and Ginger, well… bow-bow-bow-chicka-bow; Gilligan effs everything up. No alternate universes, no bright lights, just the occasional wayward headhunter or Russian cosmonaut. Simple. Done. No hurting brain.

5. Jessica @ How Sweet
    May 24, 2010 10:09 am

Never have watched Lost, ever. But for some reason, I still want to know what happened last night.

6. Bill
    May 24, 2010 10:11 am

Still many unanswered questions remained. Could it be a set-up for a future movie ?

Don;t forget the ending of 24 is tonight at 8:00.

7. Erin
    May 24, 2010 10:12 am

Bucdaddy – I loathe that mentality as well and I don’t get the whole Lost phenomena. But I must say, I don’t mind Lost being shoved down my throat nearly as much as I mind the American Idol legions who all assume everyone watches AI and want to discuss AI the following day at work. These are the people that look at you like you’re the oddball because you can’t stand American Idol. At least Lost is a bit more cerebral than a televised karoake contest.

May 24, 2010 10:19 am

Bless you and your friends and family, Erin. Just in my little town there are a half dozen really good bands that write and play their own music and for whom a paying crowd of 50-100 is a good night, while millions of people camp in front of a TV and watch karaoke. If there were a God She would fix it the other way around.

Magnus: You’re a funny somonabeech.

9. Cathyfc
    May 24, 2010 10:30 am

I never watched it…. The last big ending that I recall was Saint Elsewhere…. and of course the classic Bob Newhart ending… If you are to young to recall go look it up.. :-) I try not to get hooked any more I don’t have the time or energy. But I think my daughter has me getting hooked on Glee, at least that show is not that heavy and does not hurt my brain…actually it usually leaves me with a song I like playing in my head the next day.

10. johnaz6312
    May 24, 2010 10:44 am

I was a BIG fan of Twin Peaks when it was out. Followed every episode,saw the movie etc…That was fanatical as I ever got about a TV show. As for AI, all that is is Karaoke on steriods and I HATE karaoke. Waiting breathlessly for that show to be finally cancelled!!!

11. Al
    May 24, 2010 10:45 am

I watched Lost religiously the first few seasons until the writer’s strike hit. By the time the show actually made it back onto the air after the long hiatus, I had lost all interest. I tried to watch, but had forgotten so many details in the storyline that it bored me to death.

12. elysianfantasy
    May 24, 2010 10:48 am

I too never understood the hype around Lost. Never watched a single episode of Lost and can proudly say I don’t intend to. Ever. When I want to feel smart, I watch Tough Love Couples or any one of those other reality dating shows on VH1. And when I really want to get my geek on, I’ll watch the History Channel. But when I want to watch fiction on the TV, please let it be just that. Fiction. Nothing that I have to think too hard about when I watch. I actually have to think on my job for 8 hours a day, so when I get home, I don’t want to think for entertainment. Maybe that’s why Lost didn’t really do it for me. *shrug*

@Cathy- SO excited for Glee tomorrow! I’m right there with you!

13. tw
    May 24, 2010 10:48 am

Never watched an episode of Lost, BUT was in a TV mood last night and watched everything. Must admit it was nice that they had a long recap before the last episode so I felt like I knew what everyone else knew from 6 seasons in just 1-2 hours. I’m not a fan obviously, but it seemed interesting and I can see what people liked about it. Better than the Seinfeld and Friends finales (yes, i was one of those fans…sorry).

And I agree about the AI thing…that bugs me way more than Lost fans.

14. red pen mama
    May 24, 2010 10:58 am

I am a loyal Lost fan, and I’ll just say: There aren’t as many of us as you think. Lost lost (sorry) tons of viewers in Season 3, and quite a few more in Season 5. But those of us who stuck with it are, frankly, obsessive fanatical fans. And we apologize. :) Kind of.

Lost is the only TV show I watched obsessively and fanatically, and I’m going to be a little at sea on Tuesday nights now. But it was a great show if you stuck with it. I think it paid off in the end.

15. NorthGl
    May 24, 2010 10:59 am

What’s wrong with you people! I watched from day one. We don’t watch much except hockey but 24 and Lost were 2 we did watch. The ending never even explained the island. Only what the sideways reality was about. It wasn’t the least bit satisfying, in my opinion. After tonight’s 24 conclusion what else is there to watch now that the Penguins LOST?

16. Scott Simmons
    May 24, 2010 11:06 am

Even if you weren’t watching LOST, I think you have to respect the producers and ABC for broadcasting something that was so deliberately dense and layered. While most of broadcast tv is filled with reality tv and medical/criminal dramas with predominately white-bread casts — LOST unleashed an epic cast of international actors and morally-challenging characters, and placed them in one of the most complex plots ever seen on broadcast tv. But even with all of those challenges, it still became a financial success.

The success of risky and innovative shows like LOST paves the way for anything out of the norm. And that’s a good thing. Would fox have felt safe investing in GLEE if shows like LOST had bombed?

Plus, in an era of increasingly fragmented tv watching I think it’s always a good thing when something exists that can create community and shared conversations at work and online the next day. That seems particularly appropriate with LOST when considering the final message of the entire series (isolation=bad, community=good)

17. Carpetbagger
    May 24, 2010 11:38 am

Loved the finale. I didn’t want them to explain everything. Ending proved that the show was about the relationships all the time and not about smoke monsters, time travel, numbers, or the island. Loved the ending; loved the unanswered questions; loved the final image.

Next.

18. Monty
    May 24, 2010 12:51 pm

I watched about half an episode once. Seemed like a total rip-off of My Two Dads, so I turned it off.

19. SusanV
    May 24, 2010 12:52 pm

I didn’t watch it either. In fact, we quit watching in the 3rd season too. And I was also pregnant when we quit Lost. Weird.

20. Kathy
    May 24, 2010 12:59 pm

I have never watched an episode of Lost, but I have watched Grey’s Anatomy from the very beginning (don’t judge!) and I watched the finale twice already — the tears, the shootings,– the tears…that show has been very very bad in the past (can you say George and Izzie), but the finale from last week was quite good.

21. Carol
    May 24, 2010 1:11 pm

I never watched a single episode. If I ever have access to them on dvd…maybe sorta. As if I’ll have the time and/or willingness to watch 5 seasons worth of a show I didn’t want to watch to begin with.

But! My 82 yr old mother did. She was completely, utterly hooked to the point where she said to me one day, in all seriousness, “I can’t die until they finish Lost.”

22. Roxy
    May 24, 2010 1:13 pm

I watched one episode of Lost, I believe in the first season and didn’t really get into it so I was one of the few people who didn’t watch it. But I am also one of the few people I know who absolutely love the movie A Walk to Remember as well as The Lake House.

23. Smiley
    May 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Just to answer your question, no they didn’t explain the numbers. Nor did they splain other nagging stuff. And that’s OK. I don’t know why that’s OK, but it’s OK. Maybe because the show ended with the universal hope that most humans have of a chance to meet up with those people who meant the most to us … out there … somewhere … when it all ends.

24. Matt
    May 24, 2010 2:42 pm

There’s a pattern here. You all quit watching in the third season, not just because your family planning failed simultaneously, but you can only stand so much hieroglyphic innuendo and vague metaphors before you discover better ways to spend time.

Year 3 was when it became clear the writers didn’t know where they were going, either, despite their protestations to the contrary. I’m with Magnus about Glligan’s Island — that required true and faithful suspension of disbelief, and we’re still watching it 40 years later. (My kids won’t sing the opening theme to Lost at their 35th high school reunion.)

25. PittGal in WI
    May 24, 2010 3:29 pm

I never watched Lost either- you had to think and remember too much to enjoy. But I NEVER missed an episode of ER. Being a nurse, my friends and I at the hospital would discuss those characters on a first name basis as if they were real people.

26. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    May 24, 2010 6:08 pm

I was a fan and enjoyed the show. I didn’t fall into the whole religion-philosophy-mythology what does everything mean fanbase, but I enjoyed the stories, the relationships, the layers, etc…I didn’t have to find meaning in every little number, symbol, etc…I wasn’t disappointed in the ending and enjoyed the flash sideways wrap up. We all have different relationships with our favorite tv shows. For me, Lost ranks up there with St. Elsewhere, ER, Hill Street Blues, 24. These shows all brought something different to television shows in a different way than was the norm when they first aired. Who knows what the next big show will be for me.

27. Politicalpartypooper
    May 24, 2010 6:44 pm

I felt that way about Moonlighting, too. But I also feel that way about the Sopranos, of which I never watched anything but reruns, but became hooked when they started showing on A&E.

Glad to say I never watched even one episode of Lost.

But I do wish that The Sarah Connor Chronicles were still on. Summer Glau was hot as a robot. She could terminate me any time, so long as sexual “overkill” was the cause.

28. Lindsay
    May 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Actually they did explain the numbers somewhat. Jacob had a wall where we wrote down all of the Lost survivors names and he numbered them. Those numbers represented the “candidates” – or the people who could potentially replace Jacob and become the new island protector. The names listed by the numbers were Jack, Locke, Sawyer, Hurley, Kate, and Jin & Sun.

I have seen every episode and I am quite obsessed with it (although I don’t shove it down peoples’ throats). I have to admit, though, that I am disappointed with the ending (I was hoping the show would avoid the purgatory theory) but I still tear up everytime I think about Jack dying at the end.

Yes, I am a dork.

29. megrcam51
    May 24, 2010 7:45 pm

They totally explained the numbers!!! Ginny, you should check out the LOST sites because you can get all of the good stuff without spending a lot of time.

I was having such a hard time deciding between Jack and Sawyer in my stuck-on-a-island fantasy but then I found the magic that is the gorgeous Scotsman Desmond, and my decision is made. Yummy. Totally self-uniting with him. LOL

30. Mary
    May 24, 2010 9:26 pm

I watched about the first three episodes and thought to myself, “There’s no way this shit can make sense.” I stopped watching, thus I’m vindicated. That’s right, I said thus.

The best final that nobody talked about was when the show “Everybody Hates Chris” spoofed the Sopranos ending. The family is eating in a coffee shop and they are about to open the results of Chris’ GED test. Livin’ on a Prayer blasts from the jukebox. Screen fades to black. Awesome.

31. Daniel Casciato
    May 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Became a fan after a friend got me hooked after Season 2. Watched the first two seasons with my wife in the summer leading up to Season 3, and was hooked ever since.

Finale was spectacular. Without a doubt, best TV series finale ever. Makes Bob Newhart finale look amateurish in comparison. It was brilliant and moving.

If you’ve never watched, try it sometime.

32. JennyMoon
    May 26, 2010 10:18 am

Yay Scott Simmons and Smiley. Thank you!

33. Kathy
    June 1, 2010 10:20 am

You know what is good TV? Matthew McConnoughly (sp) without a shirt on. Doesn’t tax my brain or my eyes. nom nom nom.