Slow news day?

When I read this headline:

And saw the top of that picture with Pouncey looking to be in some major pain, I was all, “Oh, shit. This can’t be good!”

I mean, he escaped serious injury, but, what if he’s even moderately injured? So I read on, hoping to learn that maybe he just has a sprained ankle or something he could easily recover from.

Whew.

No contact is supposed to take place in NFL spring practices, yet try telling that to rookie Maurkice Pouncey’s big left toe.

Guard Trai Essex stomped on it early in practice Wednesday, and Pouncey yelped in pain as trainers rushed to check the damage.

“Oh, man, 330 pounds on a toe!” Pouncey exclaimed long after the pain subsided and it was determined no serious injury had occurred. After trainers inspected and wiggled his big piggy for several minutes, Pouncey bounced back up and completed the drill.

Thoughts:

1. Never thought I’d see the phrase “wiggled his big piggy” in the P-G.

2. Once again, Ariko Iso has the best job on the planet as a female athletic trainer for the Steelers. What I wouldn’t give to be able to walk up to Daniel Sepulveda and say, “Hey, let me wiggle your big piggy.”

That’s not a euphemism.

3. Tomorrow’s headline: “Jeff Reed trips during practice. Is expected to recover.”

Again, WHEW!

1. Pa-pop
    May 27, 2010 10:50 am

Somehow I knew Dan Sepulveda and “big piggy” were going to wind up in the same sentence here. LOL

May 27, 2010 10:55 am

The wonderful thing about Pouncey
    Is Pouncey’s a wonderful thing
    His toes are made out of rubber
    His bottom is made out of springs
    He’s bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
    Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!
    But the wondermost wonderful thing about Pouncey
    Is he’s a No. 1

3. LucyLou
    May 27, 2010 11:16 am

OK, the Daniel Sepulveda line just made me spit my coffee out. Hi-lar-ious and I am so with you on that thought!

Does Dude Pouncey realize his big piggy will probably get stepped on a few times in the heat of battle? I’m officially concerned….

@bucdaddy – LOVE IT!

4. bluzdude
    May 27, 2010 11:19 am

@ bucdaddy…
    Brilliant!

I always thought his name was so much fun to say.

5. laurenhbg
    May 27, 2010 12:16 pm

HAHA #2 made me L-O-L. Good stuff!

6. Dan-O
    May 27, 2010 12:50 pm

@ buckdaddy – I needed that laugh – the wonderful thing about Pouncey – thank you!

May 27, 2010 12:58 pm

bucdaddy, heeeeeeeeeeeee shoots and scores — I’ll be cowkicked!

(sorry, still can’t believe that the pens aren’t in it anymore….)

8. Carpetbagger
    May 27, 2010 1:05 pm

This little piggy went to New York, (Santonio)
    This little piggy stayed at home, (Ben)
    This little piggy had roast beef, (Hampton)
    This little piggy had nom, nom, nom. (Sepulveda)
    And this little piggy went…
    “Wee wee wee” all the way home… (Spaeth)

May 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks all, but I had to do it. That song has been stuck in my head since they drafted him and I’m hoping that by writing it I can get it out.

*smacks self in side of head again*

Nope … not … working …

*smack smack*

10. Sooska
    May 27, 2010 1:18 pm

well now. this could be catastrophic. Don’t forget Jack Lambert’s career ended with his big toe being sliced and diced.

also Sepulvada’s big piggy? that’d be the one for porking, right? make the sausage jokes.
    sorry.

11. G-Man
    May 27, 2010 2:22 pm

I’m going to be a wet blanket here so far as toes being stepped on being potentiall serious. Back in the 1980s I attended what turns out to be the last Steeler game I’ve been to live. It was season opener against KC Chiefs. On the first play after kickoff, Jack Lambert went into the middle of a pile and someone stepped on his big toe and broke it. He never played another game. So…

12. Joe K.
    May 27, 2010 2:38 pm

This has been the longest Steelers off-season EVAR!

13. Kathy
    May 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Contrast this with the article I read in the Post Gazette about the Chicago Blackhawk player who lost seven, yes that is SEVEN teeth in the final game against San Jose, but KEPT PLAYING!!!! I even commented to my husband about how Ben couldn’t play with a sore pinky, but this guy took a puck to the mouth, went off and got shots to numb the pain and then went back in the game and had an assist. Another reason why I love hockey players!!!!

14. OnTheBluff
    May 28, 2010 1:57 am

@bucdaddy

I think that Jeff Reed may have injured his liver more than Pouncey when he urinated in public on the north side