Random n’at

1.   A conversation with my sister Pens Fan about my sister Princess Aurora:

Me: When is Princess picking up the girls’ new pet puppy?

Pens Fan: Tomorrow.

Me: What is it?

Pens Fan: A female Maltipoo.

Me: Aw. Cute. Did they name it yet?

Pens Fan: No, but Jay said no way are they letting the girls name it.

Me: Why? What names are the girls coming up with?

Pens Fan: Well, Princess Fairy Sparkle Dust was one.

I can tell you now that Bailey is the name that beat out Princess Fairy Sparkle Dust and Penelope Sunshine Diamond.

2.  If I was like Dooce, and created a new blog banner every month with a catchy tagline made up of reader insults, this month would surely have this as my tagline:

that mommy-blog of self-important inanity”

First of all, no need to rush over there and respond to that guy. Really.

Second of all, I find it sad that just because I’m a writer of a blog and I happen to be female and I happen to mention on occasion that I am a wife and mother, that gets me branded as a mommy-blog almost as an insult. Would you say that what? Perhaps one out of 30 posts here could be classified as “mommy-blogging?”

I’m the furthest thing from a feminist, but I have to say that I doubt a man with a blog about Pittsburgh who on occasion mentioned his children would ever be derisively called a “daddy-blogger.”

There is nothing wrong with mommy-blogging. One of my most favorite blogs in the world is a mommy blog.  But using “mommy-blogger” as an insult because you don’t like what a female blogger is saying?

Kiss mah grits!

3. Speaking of the Treehouse issue, there will be an update as the date of the meeting nears. Stay tuned for that.

4.  You don’t mess with mommies and you sure as hell don’t mess with the mommy of an autistic child and you sure as hell don’t do it anonymously because if you do, you will be pwned.

I’m going to get a Team Jake’s Mom shirt made up.

(h/t Aileen)

5.  This Saturday Hebrew National Pittsburgh Better-than-a-Picnic Picnic is taking place at Highland Park. Free hotdogs! And service projects that benefit Pittsburgh, too.

6.  USA Today is having a voting contest to crown the USA’s Best American Destination city. And you know, I’m okay that Pittsburgh isn’t on there, really. BUT PHILADELPHIA IS ON THERE!? Hell to the no.

One cracked bell does not a destination city make.

(h/t Dave)

7.  Dear all you thuggish neanderthal asshole Flyers … suck it!

Let’s go Hawks!

8. If I may, people, Market Square reopens this week! Farmers Market and live music starts up this Thursday. As a Burgher who spent many Thursdays in Market Square, I say, “Awesome!”

As a Market Square business owner I say, “HALLELUJAH AND ALL PRAISE BE TO THE BABY JESUS!!!”

Amen.

1. Beaujacques
    June 2, 2010 11:04 am

So, just because I’m a Daddy
    and have a blog, AND my name is Princess Fairy Sparkle Dust??

Just sayin’…..

2. Tiffany
    June 2, 2010 11:23 am

Go Team Jake’s Mommy.

Boo to the Hampton parent douchenuggets.

3. asl87
    June 2, 2010 11:24 am

Feminist isn’t a four-letter word, Ginny. Why be the furthest away from one?

4. BIGGEORGE
    June 2, 2010 11:25 am

Everyone gets tagged. it makes it easy to dismiss them!

I was listening to a author who wrote mystery novels. She was considered by the industry to be a “south florida pet mystery” author. Her main character solves them in south florida with her little dog in tow!!

So actually you are a Pittsburgh Mommy Bloger!!!

I don’t care what they call you, as long as you keep writin’!!

BIGGEORGE

5. Erin
    June 2, 2010 11:27 am

We’ve touched on this before in the blog . . . what does “feminist” mean to you? I think it’s unfairly gotten a negative connotation.

6. aDerek
    June 2, 2010 11:43 am

I’m with Erin and asl87. What up with the dissing and distancing yourself from feminism?

7. bluzdude
    June 2, 2010 11:46 am

In my (metaphorical) book, I consider you to be the Godmother of Pittsburgh bloggers… so in that respect, you just may be a “mommy-blogger.”

In any other respect, you being a mommy blogger is a reach.

Are you sure you didn’t let your nieces name your phone or I-pod? Or Casey Hampton?

8. facie
    June 2, 2010 11:47 am

I can’t help feeling bad for the Flyers. Is that wrong? And, no, I don’t care if Hossa gets a Cup.

Read that letter/editorial about the autistic boy. I hope when my kid gets older I don’t become so obsessed by my kid getting into a good college that I put that above all else. Sad. But not the least bit surprising.

9. emily
    June 2, 2010 11:48 am

GO TEAM JAKE! Renee is awesome. So are her kids.

And you ARE a feminist. That’s a good thing.

10. Lauren
    June 2, 2010 11:52 am

Agree with some above comments – don’t shy away from being a feminist! Sure, there are people who give the word a bad name by being extremely hardcore, but that doesn’t mean you should shy away from it. I would like to think/hope you believe in equal rights for women and that is really all that is at the crux of the feminist movement.

11. DG
    June 2, 2010 11:53 am

#7. Amen, sister.

Congrats about Market Square. About freaking time. I’m going to have to walk down there over lunch.

12. tehamy
    June 2, 2010 12:07 pm

I am beyond excited about Market Square and the Farmer’s Market. I can’t wait until lunch time tomorrow!

13. red pen mama
    June 2, 2010 12:11 pm

1. I think any of those other names are so much richer than “Bailey”. But, to each his/her own.

2. That is exactly why people use “mommy-blog” condesendingly, to dismiss the stories that mommies (and women) have to tell and share and commiserate with and seek comfort in. It’s true that I would not consider That’s Church to be a mommy-blog, but you’re right that he (she? i didn’t find the comment) is dismissing you because you are a woman, who blogs, and who has kids.

As far as the feminist thing, anyone can adopt that label, too, as she sees fit. I remember calling my mother a feminist when I was in my teens, and she recoiled. Mind you, she had a college degree, worked full-time in (at the time) a male-dominated career, earned more money than my dad, and if anyone had sought to take any of that away from her, they would have gone down hard. But “feminist” for her meant “hippies who burned their bras and didn’t shave their legs”.

4. I forwarded that letter to a friend of mine who has two developmentally disabled kids. I don’t know if she’s faced that kind of discrimination yet, but if she does (or has) I hope Renee’s letter gives her the boost she needs to kick ass in defense of her kids’ rights.

7. Still rooting for the Hawks, too!

14. redram1
    June 2, 2010 12:28 pm

My dog is a poodle and her name is Bailey Ann!
    Some people think it’s funny that she has a middle name.

15. Pensgirl
    June 2, 2010 12:30 pm

2. Lauren is right on about people taking feminism to the extreme. Radicals nearly always bastardize the concept they claim to support.

Real feminism merely calls for full equality so everyone (women AND men) can make their own choices freely, without societal mandates, judgments, or expectations. It’s really just about individual freedoms.

6. Yes, I am about to defend Philadelphia. When’s the last time you visited? Lots of fun things to do. I actually love it there.

Except for all the damn Philadelphians, that is.

7. Not that liking the actual city does anything to temper my seething hatred of the Flyers. Hey, Ho, Chi-ca-GO!

16. Gabe
    June 2, 2010 12:37 pm

If the worst thing another blogger can call you is a feminist, I would say you are doing it right.

As for Jake and his mom…Reading her letter made me proud to be a mom. Not that I need help in that department but Renee responded with such class when I would have been all “OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!”

GO TEAM JAKE!!

17. YinzerInExile
    June 2, 2010 12:55 pm

Per Merriam-Webster:

Feminism: 1) the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes;
    2) Organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests.

“Feminism” is a loaded word by connotation; by denotation, it refers quite simply and explicitly to the belief that the sexes are fundamentally equal. Did you really mean that you were the furthest thing from believing in equality between the sexes? Cause I’m going to assume you didn’t.

A feminist can be anything, from a rabid, man-hating “feminazi,” to a stay at home mom who wants her daughter to have the same *choices* she had. Feminists run the full and proverbial gamut. You know, kind of like women in general.

18. Virginia
    June 2, 2010 12:58 pm

Ladies,

I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean “feminist” like that. I guess that was the wrong word. I just meant that I’m not radical when it comes to gender issues, NOT THAT ALL FEMINISTS ARE. Which is why that was the wrong word. I meant that I tend to look at conflicts from other angles before I look at them from the gender-gap angle. I don’t know if that’s right, but it’s me.

Again, so sorry!

19. Silica
    June 2, 2010 1:11 pm

To add to Yinzer-in-Exile’s point that feminists come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and all/most philosophies…

…I would like to change the characterization of the more radical side of the spectrum, the “rabid, man-hating ‘feminazi’ part” – I will admit I hang out on the more radical side of the gender theory spectrum and the view from that angle does make a lot of sense to me, but that characterization described comes from a decidedly sexist point of view, and most (I mean like 99.9999999999999999%) of feminist women, and feminist men (they’re out there – ask my soon-to-be husband) do not hate men, and we do not have rabies. But it’s easier to slander our perspective if we’re depicted that way.

That said, I do understand Ginny’s clarification, but I think that it’s sad that almost everyone goes to a mischaracterization of that word when they hear it, rather than what it simply means – equality of the sexes (all of them).

20. Nikki
    June 2, 2010 1:15 pm

I have to say this, you are FAR from a “mommy blogger.” Not that there is anything wrong with them (me being one of them) you actually have a whole different writing style…!!

21. Jim Kiley
    June 2, 2010 1:30 pm

Y’know, I was just over at Market Square at lunch and it really doesn’t look like an almost-reopened place.

22. Lauren
    June 2, 2010 1:32 pm

I think a lot of the connotation of the word “feminism” has been blown out of proportion by the media. We are presented with the most radicalized elements, and the true meaning of the word becomes lost in the shuffle. I would identify with feminism in the sense that I think women should have completely equal rights and ability to make the same choices as men. However, I am also anti-abortion and pro-stay at home mom (if that’s what a woman wants to do.) It’s definitely a loaded word.

A lot of the “mommy” blogging that’s here, and there isn’t a lot of it, is of the hilarious variety, not the “OMG I’m such a bad mom” variety. Not that’s there’s anything wrong with that, but I think it helps us understand your sense of humor (and your love of Zima.)

Kudos to Jake’s mom. Perhaps having a child like Jake in their class, a Hampton student could write a really kick-ass college admissions essay about accepting others and learning from people different than they are.

23. hello haha narf
    June 2, 2010 1:38 pm

Hmmmmmmm…I kinda like Penelope Sunshine Diamond.

24. laurenhbg
    June 2, 2010 1:47 pm

I like how in that article the author calls us your “legion of adherents.” Didn’t he know we prefer to be called minions? The nerve.

25. Jake
    June 2, 2010 2:09 pm

I think I prefer “lighting the fire and then running away” as a good Dooce-like motto to take from that article…

26. Sue
    June 2, 2010 2:24 pm

Order me a Team Jake’s Mom shirt! I hope her letter opened some eyes!

27. Butcher's Dog
    June 2, 2010 3:05 pm

per # 7: are there Flyers who aren’t thuggish neanderthal assholes? Players, coaches or fans? Nah…I didn’t think so. Go Hawks! Bring the hatred for as long as it takes, Pens fans! Then, next year when some misguided soul tries to draw a comparison between the Pens ’08 Final appearance and their ’09 Cup, we can laugh our asses off at them. Again.

28. Matt
    June 2, 2010 3:10 pm

Don’t worry. Your liberal use of colorful invective in front of the children has long since disqualified you from the sorority of “mommy” bloggers. Luckily for us.

29. Sheila
    June 2, 2010 3:13 pm

just putting in a plug for Renee’s daughter Maddie, a very talented singer/songwriter

30. Matt
    June 2, 2010 3:21 pm

BTW, “The Mommy Bloggers of Self-Important Inanity” is a good name for a rock band.

31. Big John
    June 2, 2010 3:30 pm

Ok – gonna change the topic radically.

Take a look at the logo for the Thursdays at Market Square. At first glance, my eyes turn the sun, fruit, and guitar into a….

rat? Anybody else see it that way? The sun is the body, the fruit is the leg, the guitar is the head and neck.

Maybe I’ve been working too hard today and my brain is malfunctioning….

32. Gina
    June 2, 2010 3:33 pm

As a Burgher who has been living in Philadelphia for the past 20 months, I’m going to have to stand up and defend my new home. It is absolutely more than one cracked bell. It is filled with rich history, beautiful architecture, a phenomenal river walk (that I take to work daily), incredible biking trails, and a selection of delcious restaurants that is making it known as a must-stop for foodies. The filthy, crime-ridden reputation the city has – while definitely deserved at one point in time – is no longer valid. I highly encourage you to visit!!

33. Kathy
    June 2, 2010 3:37 pm

Why is a female dog named Bailey? I like the other names myself. :)

Hmmm, I would say mommy-blogger is kind of being put in the same category as feminism. Mommy-blogs run the gammit of “my life is my child’s life, isn’t his poo beautiful” to “I’m a blogger that is also a mom.” Either way, the term has gotten wrapped up in negative connotations.

I don’t have kids, but I read ‘mommy blogs’ because the writing style appeals to me. I probably wouldn’t stop by here all the time if you just wrote about mommy things, but I think any mommy blog that mentioned cajones, skivvy sluts and random n’at deserves a read. I’d probably laugh out loud if you were describing a PTA meeting. Just my thoughts.

Oh, and I know what you meant about ‘furthest thing from feminist.’ I guess (from all the definitions and comments) that I’d be wrong too, but I knew what you mean. ;)

34. Carpetbagger
    June 2, 2010 3:55 pm

Better band name: Inane Feminist Mommy-Bloggers.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

35. red pen mama
    June 2, 2010 4:11 pm

When I picture “furthest thing from feminist” I see a white fundamentalist Christian male preaching against women to have ANY choices and advocating for us all to be pregnant, barefoot, and in the kitchen.

I don’t see our clever and scathing Ginny. Just sayin’.

As you were.

36. NewBurgher
    June 2, 2010 5:11 pm

Am I the only one still stuck at “Matlipoo”? WTH is THAT? That could have been its own paragraph!

37. NewBurgher
    June 2, 2010 5:12 pm

Ok, – “Maltipoo” … not “Matlipoo” … but does it really make a difference?

38. Luke Steelerstahl
    June 2, 2010 8:50 pm

Furthest thing from a feminist?

Sounds like my kind of girl!

39. Still A, Fan
    June 2, 2010 10:10 pm

i saw the rat as well!!! totally the first time I looked at it!!

i work with flyers fans obviously and it was pritty pritty quiet in there tuesday morning.

i’m a true south western pennsyltuckian and all, but i have to agree with gina here. i’ve been out here since 1991 in a superb suburb with simply fantastic schools. i worked in CC proper for 5 years and i now work within a mile of city limits. lots of museums, always numerous plays/musicals to go see at multiple venues, eating out is incredible, an ass load of places to see concerts….the architecture in the city is both historical and new….

but yeah the sports fans while passionate are blowhards and they still think 5 goons are better than world class skaters. i do not consider myself a philadelphian by any means. i’m just a dude from western pa who has lived here a long time. the city does have a lot to offer even if it’s run by morons like most major cities seem to be. the job market is very healthy though for IT. i’m hanging up on recruiters left and right.

40. Still A, Fan
    June 2, 2010 10:12 pm

oh, and this is SO not a mommy blog.

correct me if i’m wrong but did we even know you had kids until you came out?

41. MrsGJG
    June 2, 2010 11:23 pm

I wasn’t shocked that the letter-writers were Hampton parents. There is a growing group of assholes in that area (although by NO MEANS everyone) that feel that they are entitled to more than other people.

Hampton High School is a public school. I am sure the Georgis pay their taxes that fund the public schools just like everyone else. What gives any parent the right to “request” that another parent remove their child from a public school? Nothing. If they are so concerned, they should have taken it up with administration re: getting their child assigned to a different class.

June 3, 2010 1:22 am

You know, you gotta be careful with these five-day “hiatuses,” some of us could forget you exist.

Ah, who’m I kiddin’?

And what the hell is it with pwned anyway? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Also, I’m coming to town next Tuesday to see Jason Isbell’s excellent band play the Arts Fest at the Point, and Las Velas better damn well be there waiting for me, with LOTS of good beers, or I’m turning right around and walking right out.

Got it? Got it.

43. Chris
    June 3, 2010 6:28 am

Okay, I see the rat now.

When I first looked at the logo, I thought it said Three Days in Market Square.

I’d say if there’s that many of us that are seeing something other than what it is supposed to be saying, there’s an issue.

Just sayin’…

44. Nancy
    June 3, 2010 8:49 am

I know Jake’s mom, and she is just that awesome all the time. When she got that letter, she really stopped and thought about what her response was going to be, and I think it’s *perfect*. I think I would have gone all ninja on them. (Ginny – maybe I could borrow some of your awkward kung fu moves?) Undoubtably, her route was the far better one to take. ;) Renee – you are an inspiration!!!

45. Legallypgh(Kathy)
    June 3, 2010 11:35 am

I saw the rat immediately too — I thought it was just me!

As someone who has litigated with some folks in Hampton, I am totally NOT surprised by the attitude Ms. Georgi has found there. Love her response. It sounds as though many of the parents need some “special education.”

46. Burgh Baby
    June 4, 2010 5:07 pm

re: #2 I got all kerfluffled after I realized that wasn’t a rickroll. Or was it? ;-)