Crossing over.

As you may have heard, Ghost Whisperer was unexpectedly canceled by CBS after five seasons and over 100 episodes of Jennifer Love Hewitt wearing cleavage-baring fashions while assisting the dead in walking toward The Light.

Ghost Whisperer and I have a weird relationship.

I love the fact that the show starred David Conrad, but I have always hated the fact that my most favorite show Joan of Arcadia was canceled to make room for it. Joan of Arcadia wasn’t just canceled, it was canceled just as they introduced a character who seemed to be the Devil, played by Pittsburgh’s own Wentworth Miller. I mean. AUGHHHHHHHH! So frustrating.

But that’s not why I’ve never really watched Ghost Whisperer. As I’ve written before, I’ve never really watched the show because it freaks the hell out of me.

Scary eerie show, and when you’re a “restaurant widow” who spends most evenings alone in a quiet, 100+-year-old house, the last thing you need to worry about is finding some ghost in your basement who needs your help settling matters on earth so that he can cross over.

I have enough Blair Witch basement phobias thank you very much.

Anyway, upon cancellation of the show, I began getting tweets and emails from the diehard fans of the show asking me one thing: IS HE OKAY?!

I finally sent him an email and said, “I think they fear you’re preparing to fling yourself from the Rachel Carson Bridge.”

David’s response was that he’s just fine. “Pity me and the crew couldn’t do a wrap-up episode, but so it goes,” is how he put it.

He then said, “I am always on the look out for bridges I can jump off. Safely. But it’s one of my favorite things to do. Stop on a country road where you see the locals taking a dive. What’s more fun?”

To which I replied, “YOU’LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT.”

I am not making that up.

If David Conrad is ever admitted to the ER with an eye injury suffered when he jumped from a country road bridge, would you please let me know so that I can show up and tell him, “Told you so. Do you need me to give you some mouth-to-mouth resuscitation?”

1. Pens Fan
    June 3, 2010 10:00 am

I think David Conrad should be on Parenthood. I am putting it out in the universe so hopefully it will come true! I have loved him since Relativity.

2. Michele
    June 3, 2010 10:01 am

Glad I’m not the only one freaked out by that show!

June 3, 2010 10:12 am

Get a grip. There are no such things as ghosts.

4. bluzdude
    June 3, 2010 10:16 am

It’s too bad it’s cancelled… Your cellar-phobia just gave me a great story idea!

Someone in Grandview has a haunted Pittsburgh Toilet. Jennifer shows up with her enormous batwing eyelashes and plunging cocktail dress, to unclog the ghost of a former ‘Burgher.

5. Melissa
    June 3, 2010 10:16 am

I thought Wentworth Miller was British?

6. Bram R
    June 3, 2010 10:42 am

Jennifer Love Hewitt was in the Ghost Whisperer? The Ghost Whisperer was not about horses? Guess you never know what you have ’till it’s gone.

7. Gabe
    June 3, 2010 10:54 am

Wentworth Miller as the Devil. me-ow! How I miss Joan of Arcadia!!

8. gunnlino
    June 3, 2010 11:11 am

Jenn can come to my home anytime and sit with my haunted
    ‘ Burgh toilet as long as she wants. She can even wear one of those plunging neckline dresses.
    She can even bat those eyelashes as much as she wants.

9. Slick Van Slyke
    June 3, 2010 11:13 am

Wentworth Miller was born in England, raised in Brooklyn and attended one year of high school in Pittsburgh. Claiming him as “Pittsburgh’s own” is a bit of a stretch.

10. Virginia
    June 3, 2010 11:22 am

My apologies. I put “Pittsburgh’s own” in front of any person who could be classified as a Burgher. Wentworth graduated from Quaker Valley High School, so I classify him as a Burgher.

11. RPJ
    June 3, 2010 11:33 am

Hate to freak you out further, but today is not the day to be talking about jumping off a bridge — It is The Third of June, you know.

12. red pen mama
    June 3, 2010 11:42 am

I had to stop watching shows like CSI: SVU and Criminal Minds for kinda the same reason (home alone at night — a psychology widow?). That and the kids — I couldn’t keep watching shows where kids got hurt or died because I would be filled with either rage or sorrow. Which is slightly off topic.

Also, it’s the little touches like “YOU’LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT” that reveal you’re a mom. I do the same kind of thing at my office, mothering all these damn kids around here. Many of whom are older than I.

13. Jim
    June 3, 2010 11:49 am

Damn. No suggestions of safe bridges to jump from yet. Your audience is a staid bunch.

14. Virginia
    June 3, 2010 11:50 am

THAT’S BECAUSE IT IS NOT SAFE TO JUMP FROM BRIDGES. YOU’LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT!

15. Bob
    June 3, 2010 12:07 pm

I’d pay to watch Jennifer Love Hewitt bungy jump off of a bridge in a cleavage baring outfit….

16. Monty
    June 3, 2010 12:16 pm

@ Bob — not to beat a dead horse, but you’ll put your out.

June 3, 2010 12:24 pm

@monty — I’d lose my eyes — both of ’em — for that.

18. Melissa
    June 3, 2010 12:59 pm

Well, if we consider Wentworth Miller a Burgher then let’s please reclassify him as a Hot Burgher!

19. Greg
    June 3, 2010 1:19 pm

Jennifer Love Hewitt wearing cleavage-baring fashions and I missed it!!!!

20. Tess
    June 3, 2010 5:53 pm

Joan of Arcadia is EXACTLY why I refused to watch GW. Loved that show. and in the press release announcing GW as the replacement, CBS stated: “We believe that talking to ghosts is more interesting than talking to God.” Now, I’m not all “omg Jesus ROCKS” Bible-beater crazy, but that statement hurt me. So, I’m glad this show was cancelled (sorry, Mr. Conrad, but I am).

21. kelly
    June 3, 2010 9:12 pm

I love Ghost Whisperer and was sooo upset when CBS cancelled it but I thought ABC picked it up.. DId they or did they not??? I was excited hearing that but I will be torn up if they didnt

22. Suz
    June 3, 2010 9:25 pm

RPJ, I am a little slow today. I just got the third of June/bridge jumping reference.

23. Tina
    June 4, 2010 4:23 am

@ kelly:

ABC turned the option down to pick up GW. It’s over and out.

My 2 Cents about it:
    Stuff like this happens – TV shows end when they are no longer cash cows for the TV stations. It might be sad but happens all the time.

What I think was really bad in this case is, that it happened so shortly before everybody would get back to work and obviously without any real advance notice as you could see from the puzzled reactions of actors and producers. That’s an unpleasant experience for the whole team. But to quote David … “so it goes.”

As for the bridges:

I will watch from the banks ;o)

I cannot even WALK bridges without getting a heart attack:

Inner ear thing => balance problems on open space (bridge, tower, skyscraper) => fear of heights => NO WAY!!!

And: Don’t pull your eye out! ;)

24. Cari
    June 4, 2010 10:58 am

David should add “jumping off country road bridges” to Ginny’s #2 question :)

25. bill
    June 4, 2010 4:07 pm

Thank you! I was so psyched for the third season of “Joan of Arcadia” and her battle with the devil. It was one of the few really original shows on television. I refused to ever watch one minute of the derivative crapola “Ghost Whisperer” as my own pointless one-person protest.

26. Michelle H
    June 5, 2010 12:16 am

Glad to hear he’s doing okay after the cancellation,I’m guessing from their new fall line up they’ll be sorry. He did a wonderful job playing Jim :).But for the love of god and for those lovely blue eyes keep him away from bridges ha ha ha. We wouldn’t like those to be injured.

27. Michelle H
    June 5, 2010 12:17 am

28. Karyn
    June 5, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks for letting us know! I’ll admit, I loved the show and I was really ticked they cancelled it but I love his answer. Hopefully he will find another show soon. He’s so talented; maybe he should do “Bridge Shakespeare”

29. Valerie
    June 11, 2010 2:31 pm

I’m a faithful GW viewer, and I’m sad to hear it’s been canceled. It was one of the few shows my husband and I would watch together.

30. streaming megavideo
    December 16, 2010 10:51 am

You completed several fine points there. I did a search on the topic and found a good number of folks will have the same opinion with your blog.