Treehouse update!

I can’t say it any better than Amy:

I just want to quickly remind everyone about Monday’s community meeting regarding Kate and Peter’s Treehouse. It’s at 6pm at the Wilkins School Community Center located at 7604 Charleston Ave in Regent Square (15218). I know many of you will be there and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your support. I’m truly looking forward to this meeting and think it will be a great opportunity to hear what everyone in the community has to say so that we can move ahead with this project in the most positive way possible.

Please be ready to not only share your point of view if you feel so inclined, but to also listen to the suggestions of others. I believe the only way this meeting will be productive is if we all listen to each other – and allow ourselves to hear each other, if you know what I mean. I think if we can understand why people are concerned about this treehouse as well as why people support it we will be able to do what is best for the whole community. I know that’s what Kate and Peter would want so that’s what I want too.

I look forward to seeing you all there and meeting some of you I have not met before. I’ll be the one in the green shirt :) I hope you all have a safe, wonderful weekend with some time to do the things you love with the people you love. Thank you again for everything.

Okay, you saw the “green shirt,” right?

So if you’re coming to the meeting to support Amy, like I am, green is your color. Sort of a visual representation of the people in the room who are attending in support of Amy.

Regardless of what will eventually happen with the treehouse, the fact that Amy will get her chance to be heard is what is important.

See you there!  Say hi if you come!

1. Luke Steelerstahl
    June 4, 2010 6:04 pm

And don’t forget to bring rotten tomatos and cabbage to throw at Councilman Shields.

Lord knows he’s thrown crap at me long enough

2. Nicholas Sloan
    June 5, 2010 1:50 am

Great suggestion regarding the green shirts Ginny, just one question… Now how the hell will I be able to tell who Amy is with a million other green shirts around?

3. Virginia
    June 5, 2010 7:56 am

Her picture is on her blog. She approved this post so she knows to expect green shirts.

4. oldgraymare
    June 7, 2010 11:57 am

Best of luck tonight! Hope cool heads and proper judgement prevails!

5. Green Meanies
    June 8, 2010 11:33 am

That’s funny. I didn’t see any green shirts at the meeting. But I did hear many intelligent, decent Regent Square residents calmly express their reasoned objections to locating a playground next to the Environmental Charter School and their overall concerns about unchecked growth in their neighborhood and in Frick Park, as well as their general support for a memorial playground located somewhere else in the park. In addition, Doug Shields attended the entire meeting and there was not one single bad word said about him by any of the speakers over the two-hour meeting. Seems that only anonymous commenters on a biased blog have an issue with him.

6. Virginia
    June 8, 2010 12:05 pm

Are you kidding me? You know, I understand your passion for your neighborhood, but don’t come on my blog and tell outright lies when you know there were green shirts all over that meeting, and then have the nerve to call US biased.

Because all you’ve done is be an anonymous commenter with a bias who has an issue with ME.

7. ScareHouse Scott
    June 8, 2010 12:17 pm

The local news coverage I saw of the event clearly showed more than a few green shirts in attendance.

8. spoon
    June 8, 2010 12:20 pm

Funny, the Post Gazette showed a picture this morning of someone in a green shirt.

I guess you wouldn’t see them through rose colored glasses

9. USDog
    June 8, 2010 12:21 pm

HaHa Green Meanies.

pwnd

Also… try slide four here:

10. Wardy
    June 8, 2010 12:25 pm

Ginny,
    Don’t take anything seriously from some troll calling himself the “Green Weenie”, he has to protest places for children as he will never have one of his own, as masturbation is no way to create a child. I find it funny that a loser would come to your blog, and try to invoke your wrath. He is nothing but a gut-less loser.

11. Wardy
    June 8, 2010 12:27 pm

Then again they may be bound by court order to not be around a park or any other gathering place of children. Just a thought…

12. backinpgh
    June 8, 2010 12:34 pm

Just because people have ill things to say about the councilman here or elsewhere online does not mean they would have the gall to shout insults at him in a productive public forum. We are not ridiculous people going to meetings to hurl insults at government officials, because we know that will accomplish nothing.

13. Legallypgh(Kathy)
    June 8, 2010 12:51 pm

“. . .and their overall concerns about unchecked growth in their neighborhood and in Frick Park, as well as their general support for a memorial playground located somewhere else in the park.”

Let me make it easier for you to say in the future since there has been an acronym already created for it — NIMBY – “Not in my backyard.” It is an interesting phenomenon really; the attitude of I moved here because of the park and all of its great features but ohmygod other people want to use it to which brings noiseandtrafficandpeople and now that I’ve moved here the very reasons that made me want to move here are the reasons that I now want to keep everyone else out and are the stated reasons for trying to keep this out too.

Of course everyone who stood up last night was in favor of a memorial playground named for two children who died tragically. If you stood in public and said you were not, what kind of person does that make you? Instead, the “intelligent, decent” Regent Square residents I heard last night couched their comments in statements of being in favor of the memorial playground, but in favor of it being placed anywhere else but near where they live.

And Mr. Shields, while he had plenty to say to people after the meeting, also had nothing to say to the public. Interesting.