The interviews!

No, I haven’t watched the interviews yet, because nothing Benny says, no words, no quivering chin, no tears are going to change how I feel about him. Continual, consistent, persistent, unchanging, other such synonyms for unvarying ACTIONS over a period of time, however, will.

And no, I haven’t given him any points for granting the interviews to the local media rather than the national media because if I was Benny’s PR strategist, I’d have told him to do the exact same thing because 1. it give the appearance that he cares more about what his city thinks about him versus the rest of the world (maybe he does) and 2. it’s easier to massage how an interview with a local outlet is conducted versus a national outlet. Two birds, one stone. Hope they were pigeons.

So, no, haven’t watched them, but I probably will eventually when I can do it without rolling my eyes at him. This P-G poll, while unscientific, seems to show that there is still a highly unfavorable opinion of Ben even after his interviews.

Having not watched them, I can’t comment on what was said, but I want to say this:

Of course he’s contrite. Did they think he was going be all, “SALLY WIGGIN!!! [ass slap] Bitch, TAKE MY SHOTS!!!!!”

Well, that’s just an SNL skit waiting to be written.

June 11, 2010 9:57 am

Hah, “local media.” I notice that when they talk, a Steeler’s hand is always moving.

Bennie claiming dissociative personality disorder is rich. A cover for his antisocial personality disorder, no doubt. Always remember that sociopaths are excellent liars.

2. Legallypgh(Kathy)
    June 11, 2010 10:02 am

Anytime someone starts using their name surrounded by quotation marks, we should all run for cover.

3. Cathyfc
    June 11, 2010 10:08 am

All I can do is shake my head that they even kept him on the team…

4. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    June 11, 2010 10:10 am

One of the few pro athletes who was (and still is) perfectly blunt in interviews is Charles Barkley. He usually says what he’s thinking, without filtering his thoughts. What a different sports world we’d be in if they all did this. Many athletes have nothing but contempt for the media, but they also know they need them.

Imagine if Bob Nutting said what he really was thinking. Is he going to say “Honestly, my family became the primary owner because I sucked at running my dad’s newpaper business. All I wanted to do was play grab ass with the gals. I played little league baseball, so I know the game, and as long as I’m bringing daddy in some dough at the end end of the day, I don’t give a rat’s ass about winning. It would be nice, but I’m here for the hot babes and sweet dough.” No, he’s not. We get “Neal and Frank have a plan in place and we’re starting to see the results in players like Andrew McCutchen, Brad Lincoln and Jose Tabata. Soon we’ll have Pedro Alvarez here. The next few months may be bumpy, but I truly believe we’ve turned the corner. We’re no longer going after only the players we think we can sign in the draft. We’re going after the best players and rebuilding our farm system.”

I say this with the full disclosure that I’m probably one of the BIGGEST Buccos fan around and a member of Team Ginny!

5. Monty
    June 11, 2010 10:14 am

I wish I could bet on things like “Roethlisberger rushes into a loveless marriage in the next two years in a futile effort to change his image to mature family man.”

6. Sooska
    June 11, 2010 10:20 am

1. I inadvertently had the TV on when the interview began so I watched. It was lame with softball questions and cottonball answers aimed at garnering sympathy. He was a study in practiced contrition.

2. @Ex-Pat: The BOS need to hire that Russian healer the Dodgers hired. or perhaps an exorcist. full disclosure: I was a card carrying member of the Buccos Fan Club for years. I quit them years ago when it was apparent that they were just trying to continue to pull the wool over fans’ eyes and steal their money at the box office and concession stands. Unbelievably, Nutting is worse now than before.

7. Baba Wawa
    June 11, 2010 10:26 am

I turned on the news last night and both kdka and wtae had the interviews as one of their top stories…i switched to wpxi because i wanted to see, you know, news!…what in the world is going on with our local news channels?

8. Leslie in Dayton
    June 11, 2010 10:29 am

Ginny, do you think you’ll EVER be able to watch those without rolling your eyes? I don’t think I’ll be able to. Haven’t seen any of them yet.

@Monty – I totally agree.

June 11, 2010 10:35 am

Ex-Pat and Sooska,

Yeah, that explains why they spent $20 million in the draft the past two years. Cheap bastards not even trying to pretend to win.

I’ll be looking for you two on the bandwagon in a few years. And I’ll happily kick you off.

10. Captain hankaroo
    June 11, 2010 10:42 am

It appears from the pictures I see Of Ben that he doesn’t deal well with have alcohal in his system.
    He looks like a bad drunk

11. Captain hankaroo
    June 11, 2010 10:43 am

Oops Alcohol
    Poor speeling

12. Captain hankaroo
    June 11, 2010 10:43 am

spelling
    what the eff

13. parkingchair
    June 11, 2010 10:50 am

I have a feeling Sally could drink him under the table – and still have class.

14. Pingback: The Friday Quotes « The Pittsburgh Reader

15. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    June 11, 2010 10:57 am

@bucdaddy — I’m not a bandwagon fan. I simply a fan. I still have the hat I bought at the game on May 14, 1976, when as an 8 year old, I used money from my first Communion party to take my mom to the Pirates game. We sat on the first base line. I took her to Josephine’s at the old Horne’s Department store for lunch and we walked across the Ft. Duquesne Bridge. I paid for the tickets and even bought her a hat, too.

I am most definitely not a bandwagon fan. I’m a full season ticket holder for the Pirates. Have been since 1991. I haven’t lived in Pittsburgh since 1998, and from 2005 through January 2009, I lived on the West Coast and have kept my full season tickets, even though I couldn’t travel to Pittsburgh for the games as often (In 2008, I donated 70 of the games to Tickets For Kids Charities – great organization). I currently make the 400 mile round trip drive in for every home weekend series and travel to at least three away series each year. I’ve seen the Pirates play in Puerto Rico. I go to Spring Training every three years. I live, breathe and sleep Pirates. I celebrate their victories, and ache when they lose.

I support the team 150%, but I don’t support the Nuttings. It’s his team and he can do what he wants. I actually believe the team is making progress. I don’t like the owner, but I love the team, which is why I continue to spend my money on them. I can’t control the decision ownership makes, and neither can the players, which is why the team will always get my support. I separate the business end from the game end. My preference is that team owners, regardless of who they are, just keep their mouths shut. I don’t need to hear from them at all.

{My apologies to everyone else for having to read through this, but I get upset when folks exptrapolate what is written and turn it into something that was not the intent.}

16. TripleC
    June 11, 2010 11:06 am

bucdaddy – rumor has it you’ve been warming that foot up for what now, 17, 18 years?

For the record – I was a season ticket holder up until 3 years ago when I finally said enough is enough. Nuttings can continue to suck $’s out of others but not me.

17. Sooska
    June 11, 2010 11:23 am

@bucdaddy- big deal. you are the reason they will never have a winning team. until people quit going to see fireworks they won’t care. it is all a smoke screen. nutting is in it only for what he can take from the Yankees.

18. CrashJK
    June 11, 2010 11:34 am

Well…a certain professional image consultant on Mike Pintak’s KDKA radio show yesterday suggested Benny hook up with a popular local female blogger to help improve his image…Pintak suggested Ginny (or “PittGirl” as he said)….bwahahahahhahahaha….

Yeah…like that would happen….LMAO….

June 11, 2010 11:36 am

Ex-Pat, Shut my mouth. I bow to your dedication, and I apologize. When you put your money where your mouth is, you are entitled to say anything you want about them.

Sooska, The only fireworks I see at the ballpark are the (rare) times a Pirate hits a home run. The 3-5 times I make it up each year, I go for the baseball, putrid as it often is. A day at the ballpark with a cold beer in my hand beats whatever’s on TV.

(Though I did hold my nose and go to a Skyblast a year or two ago, and you know what? That was a pretty damn good time. I see why those things are so popular, it’s because they’re done very well. I used to make fun of the Skyblast crowds but I don’t anymore.)

20. sara
    June 11, 2010 11:52 am

honestly, who cares. Its gross they released the tapes. its no ones business and we should move on. stop giving this mess so much air time already

21. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    June 11, 2010 11:53 am

@bucdaddy, apology accepted. :-) Let’s go Bucs!

22. SC 'Burgher
    June 11, 2010 11:54 am

I always want to know why “real fans” say they’re waiting to kick the bandwagon fans off when they finally win? Like their suffering is noble or above the rest of humanity. Please.

Fan is short for fanatic. So, if you’re a “real fan” you’re really fanatical – like a suicide bomber.

It’s a game, but you can be critical and still care. Some people need to lighten up.

23. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    June 11, 2010 12:05 pm

@SC’Burgher — I never question anyone’s fandom. To me, sports devotion is like someone’s religious and political beliefs — deeply personal to each individual. Don’t judge me for mine, ’cause I won’t judge you for yours. You can be critical and care.

24. empirechick
    June 11, 2010 12:50 pm

I like that a Benny post has turned into a Pirate debate. That’s the sign that we really are over him – at least the readers of this blog, anyway.

25. Mark
    June 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Rapelistberger

26. VAgirl
    June 11, 2010 1:16 pm

The Pirates are one of the reason we settled in the area. My hubby wanted to retire in a city that had a major league team. He loves his ball. One of our “dreams” is when I retire to visit every ballpark in the country. That being said we go to the park to watch the game and if it makes the Nutting’s more money, so be it. I tip the workers and try to support my new home town. As for the other issue, I stopped watching the local evening news this week because of the exploitation. I would rather have the media look into the issue of alcohol abuse and the bar scene. Note I do love my brew but I have seen it destroy many. Too bad we don’t have a drink tax to support those issues.

27. Suz
    June 11, 2010 2:20 pm

I’m just bored with the whole Benny interview thing. Yawn.

28. H
    June 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Just once I would like to read one of your blog posts without rolling my eyes.

For someone who supposedly hates Ben with every fiber of her being, you certainly write about him a lot. And, don’t give me the BS about how this is a hot topic in Pittsburgh and you write about Pittsburgh topics. It’s your own personal blog. You do not have advertisers that you need to justify website hits to, so you could write about whatever the heck you wanted. Yet, you still write about someone that you claim in each post about him to not care about at all. I just find it interesting.

Also, someone on a Steelers fan site pretty much proved that the PG rigs their polls. He kept track over a couple of days and noticed that the number of votes will suddenly go down or up to alter the results, with the result always seeming to be in realtion to how the PG is reporting a story. If the PG is against someone or something, then the poll results are against. If the PG is for someone or something, then the poll results are for.

29. Steverino
    June 11, 2010 2:58 pm

I chuckle more every day at the state of local TV “news,” (which it’s really not — it’s a showcase for advertisers, hence the schlock they put on to get people to watch). WPXI has even started putting exclamation points in their lower third promos! BREAKING NEWS! BREAKING NEWS! BIG BEN SPEAKS! EXCLUSIVE!

30. Say What?
    June 11, 2010 3:29 pm

I am not H

31. Virginia
    June 11, 2010 3:31 pm

Say What?

You made me LOL. Gold star for you!

32. Tamara
    June 11, 2010 6:34 pm

“This P-G poll, WHILE UNSCIENTIFIC, seems to show that there is still a highly unfavorable opinion of Ben even after his interviews.”

Yeah, completely unscientific…and rigged!
    That poll jumped up 600 votes against Ben in less than 15 minutes this morning, while not accepting/calculating any votes from A or C, you know, the positive choices. Can you say “agenda”?

Would it be too much of a stretch to think that Ginny is the mastermind behind those polls!

33. SarahK
    June 11, 2010 6:40 pm

So you didn’t watch his interviews, but it didn’t stop you from blogging about him anyway.

Alrighty then!

You know, you sure get a lot of mileage out of bashing Ben for someone who claims not to care about him or what he’s doing.

Just sayin’…

34. TheBitchDesk
    June 11, 2010 7:04 pm

OMG! Lemonade on the laptop monitor at the “SALLY WIGGIN!!! [ass slap] Bitch, TAKE MY SHOTS!!!!!”

Great one!

35. TK
    June 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Careful there H and Sarah, any support shown for the QB will no doubt brand you both as minions.
    It’s a cute little term designed to belittle the guys female fans by those that are too embarrassed to admit they are fans.

36. BeauJacques
    June 11, 2010 8:40 pm

@ H & @ SarahK @ Tamara-

I just heard Joran VanDerSloot and he swears he’s gonna be good too!

37. H
    June 11, 2010 8:50 pm

@ BeauJacques

You’re actually comparing Ben to a kid who is accused of killing two girls. Wow, you are just high class, aren’t you?

38. H
    June 11, 2010 8:52 pm

@ TK

I’ve been called a minion on here before. “Stan” is another name people have thrown around.

Thanks for the warning, though.

39. BeauJacques
    June 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Have you ever seen Ben and Joran in the same room?

40. BeauJacques
    June 11, 2010 10:16 pm

@ H-

Tres haut classe mon petit chou! :-)

41. J
    June 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Just once I would like to read one of your blog posts without rolling my eyes.

First time poster here and probably last, I read here when I need a good laugh. But I have wondered the same thing. For someone that has a natural hate for Ben , she sure likes to talk about him.

42. Summer
    June 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Ginny has zero obligation to entertain you. If you are entertained, great, if not, well, the internet is a great big ol’ place. Buh-bye.