Monday Morning Reading. You will be quizzed.

Screw Monday.

A good way to screw it is to ignore the fact that it’s happening.

A good way to ignore the fact that it’s happening is to not do any work.

A good way to not do any work is to go read my two latest offerings over at Pittsburgh Magazine:

1. My latest blog post, In Which I Talk About Elephants as a Viable Means of Transportation, contains further thoughts on the financial troubles at the Port Authority, now that I’ve had time to read all the comments and emails I’ve received regarding my “This Again” post.

2. My July column is up, Ticket to Ride. This one about how the Kennywood of my youth is not the same as the Kennywood of my adulthood.

I mean seriously. WEAR SOME CLOTHES, KIDS!

Also, special bonus, El DeBarge gets a mention. WOO!

Next month’s topic? Who can and cannot claim to be a Burgher. Hint: Dennis Miller, yes.  Sienna Miller, no.

Go read. I suggest an occasional George Costanza huff of exasperation followed by a few random smacks of your keyboard, just so it really looks like you’re working.

Dear previous boss of mine, No, I never did that. Ever. Wink.

1. red pen mama
    June 21, 2010 9:42 am

I still miss the Laser Loop.

2. Dan (Not Onarato)
    June 21, 2010 10:11 am

Good articles Ginny!

3. Baba Wawa
    June 21, 2010 10:23 am

i miss the death defying shows where someone was always getting blown out of a cannon or diving into a bucket of water from 100 stories up

4. Monty
    June 21, 2010 10:40 am

I was all about the fast pitch game near the jack rabbit. We’d all end up running around in those ridiculous plastic yellow replica Pirates batting helmets that wouldn’t even be able to adequately protect your head in a wiffle ball game. Those hats went great with tube socks pulled up to our knees.

5. Alyssa
    June 21, 2010 10:54 am

@WEAR SOME CLOTHES KIDS…for real! Whose mamas are letting them out of the house like that? At 31 years old, my mom would smack me and make me go put on some pants if she would ever see me wearing shorts (aka underwear) like the girls do these day. Ridiculous.

6. Burghbird
    June 21, 2010 11:17 am

A friend of mine posted on facebook about her trip to Kennywood on Saturday, referring to the young scantily-clad girls as “prostitots”…..I found that hysterically accurate.

June 21, 2010 11:34 am

Now I’m missing K-wood big time, haven’t gone since bucdaughter took off to grad school two years ago. We used to hit it once a summer. *sniff* Maybe your kids would go with me?

OK, OK, I’ll be OK …

Um, yeah, the ticket books. It’s a shame for grandmas and such who just want to sit and watch the kids enjoy themselves to have to pay $18.50 for a senior pass ($10 after 5 p.m.).

On the plus side, I hit senior pass age in less than two years. Woo-hooo!

You mentioned increased security, and I’ll tell you a little story. Several years ago (but still post-9/11) when we were at the park, it got a little chilly in the evening and I had left my jacket in the car. I asked the girl watching the gate if I could go get it, and she said OK. When I came back, she said, “I have to search it.” So I let her look through the jacket for the three seconds it took.

When she finised, she said, “OK, thanks.”

And I said, “No, thank YOU for being here and helping make this a safe place for us to have fun.”

And she said, “That’s the first time all summer anyone’s said that to me.”

I still tear up a little thinking about that.

So please, next time you go to the ballpark or amusement park, remember to be kind to those people whose job it is to keep the place safe for kids and everyone else.

8. CrashJK
    June 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks for the El DeBarge comment in the Pittsburgh magazine…I sprayed Coke out my nose at the local township pool yesterday afternoon as I read the new edition of the mag…your column and that picture of the Tessaro’s burger were great…but the Civic Arena story and pics brought a little tear to my eye…and I’m old enough to remember watching the Pittsburgh Triangles on tv…sad, isn’t it ?

9. MikeyB
    June 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Does anybody remember “Tax Tickets”? Rides were like 3 tickets and 1 tax ticket.

June 21, 2010 1:16 pm

CrashJK, Sad? Are you nuts? I used to go to Triangles matches and they were a blast. Rayni Fox? You kidding me? Humna humna.

In high school and college I was a stringer for my town’s little newspaper, and to have something sporty to cover in the summer I would go to Triangles matches, with lockerroom access and all that. It was great.

I was at the Arena the night they beat the Gaters for the championship. My sports editor was with me and we had one lockerroom credential between us, so he pulled rank and I had to wait for him outside. There were fans lining both sides of the corridor outside that ground-level gate, but I wanted to make sure Tom could find me, so I stood at the end of the ramp by the parking lot.

The door flew open and Peggy Michel, looking starry eyed and champagne drunk, came floating down the ramp, came right up to me, kissed me full on my 18-year-old mouth and floated away.

That sure raised a racquet in my pants.

A little later Tom came out all sh*t-eating grin and announced he had been drinking champagne with Evonne Goolagong. I told him what I got and his jaw hit the concrete.

One of the best nights of my life.

11. Chris
    June 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Monty–

Forgot all about the batting helmets that were so popular back then–so funny to remember loving to wear those. Used to like to wear my sweatpants pulled up to my knees with high tube socks, too. Why I ever thought that was cool is beyond me.

12. CrashJK
    June 21, 2010 1:42 pm

@bucdaddy…I googled the two tennis players you named…ok, so so…I got a kiss from Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles while I worked backstage at Penn State in the eighties…how’s that ? Sorry…I was a kid at the time of the Triangles and well…it’s tennis ?!?!??

June 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Well played, Crash, well played.

OTOH, don’t be dissing tennis. Check the legs, thighs and glutes on those girls.

Which reminds me, I once covered the U.S. Figure Skating championships when they were in Pittsburgh an eon ago and I have never seen more great legs on women.

June 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Wow. This took quite a turn from Kennywood, didn’t it? Sorry, everyone, I’ll go back to talking about … PittFall! Very very phallic PittFall.

Ah, I gotta ruin everything …

15. Ian G
    June 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Hey, didjoo notice in their little “PittGirl” bsnner for you at the Pitt Mag site, they’ve got your last name spelled wrong?

Yes, I’ve worked as a proofreader. Now go whale on their copy-challenged butts!!

16. Ian G
    June 21, 2010 3:22 pm

How good a proofer am I? I just caught my own misspelling of “banner”. Boo-yah!!

17. Jennifer Carota
    June 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Hail to the bomber pop (red, white and blue popcicle), Cinema 80 (sitting in pews watching video footage of riding the Thunderbolt) and the long gone canoes! Great article, Ginny!

18. LaReina
    June 22, 2010 6:50 am

At a job long ago I learned to do “pretend work” by typing furiously (yes, back in the IBM Selectric days). No one knew I was typing recipes I’d scribbled down from magazines in the break room.

19. Shannon
    June 22, 2010 8:00 am

You said it Ginny…we each got a new kennywood outfit and new tennis shoes to wear that day…we’d eat all we could at the mcdonald’s next door so it was cheaper for my mom. My grandpap would give us $100 for “tickets books” and we were set for the next 12 hours. Plus you have a certain “path” that you walk around, certain food stands to hit….ah, the memories…