FURRIES FURRIES FURRIES! I LOVE THE FURRIES!

This weekend is one of the best weekends of the year in Pittsburgh because it is [fist pump] ANTHROCON 2010! [rocker kick] [cat-like wrist lick/ear rub] Meeeeeow. Woof woof. [fishie lips].

I heart Anthrocon so much because it bring thousands of Furries, as they are called, to Pittsburgh to parade their fursuits and furheads and tails and ears and scary scary dead soul-sucking eyes through the streets of the Burgh.

Do I understand Furries? Hell no.

And you know what they say, “If you don’t understand it, mock it.”

I kid.

It’s not that I’m mocking their choice to prance around wearing a wolf’s head with Barney’s body, I’m just drawing attention to the weirdness of it.

That’s right. In this PC world where it’s wrong to label things and people that are different as weird, I’m hacking a hairball in the face of the PC Police and I’m calling Furry behavior weird.

I’m sorry. If you want to play the harmonica while jumping on a trampoline in a Wonder Woman suit, I’ll say, “Hey, that’s weird!”

If you walk down the sidewalk naked, I’ll say, “That’s weird! And illegal! And ARE YOU RUNNING LIKE A PENGUIN?! BUSTED.”

If you go to every single Buccos home game of the season, I’ll say, “That’s weird, you weird masochist.”

If you are in the grocery store rubbing cantaloupes on your bare belly while singing “I Adore, Mi Amor,” I’ll say, “That’s weird. I wonder if that’s a ripeness test. Wait. ARE YOU RUNNING LIKE A PENGUIN?! BUSTED.”

Weird isn’t so much wrong, as it is, you know, weird! Out of the ordinary. Not normal behavior.

And do not tell me that Furries don’t know how weird being a Furry is. They have to.

And don’t tell me they don’t want attention.

They walk down the street dressed as the love child of a wombat and Iceburgh and call themselves names like FoxyRoxyBooBooSaur and have dogpiles and zoos and furry raves. That’s a CRY for attention. And it’s WEIRD!

And I effing love it. I’m not the only one. Check out Kiss Morning FreakShow Mikey’s furry freestyle rap!

In addition, Twitter is amazingly fun if you follow the #ac2010 hashtag.

Psst, Artie. Maybe it’s ’cause you’re dressed like a purple CareBear.

Let’s take a look at some pictures that have come out of the Internet since the Furries started showing up in Pittsburgh yesterday, shall we?

Come away with me Burghers, on a super trippy trip that requires no LSD. Just your eyeballs and the acceptance that some things, you can’t unsee. You can click each picture and it will take you to their sources.

The lovechild of Lady Gaga and a cheetah!

Narnia meets The Smurfs meets Satan meets Andy Warhol!

Shit. Run, camera guy! He’s using the Force!

Or, he’s in the very first beats of a boyband dance.

This just in … I’m still terrified of birds.

That’s what The Hulk would look like if he ate Woody Woodpecker. True story.

That picture comes from @woodysworldtv‘s Twitter account and he has TONS of awesome Furry pics from today. Go see!

Weird. I thought animals sniffed each others butts in greeting.

This also just in. I’m now terrified of bunny rabbits, particularly ones that look like they have furry silver penises glued to their foreheads where the unicorn horn should be.

On twitter, @horsecave caught this furry in action, with TRAINING WHEELS ON ITS TAIL!

If you were blind and you asked me to describe what I was seeing and this Furry walked past us, I’d say, “Well, what we have here is an albino horse. Wait, no, an albino crocodile. Wait, no, a pink-eyed white wolf-horse with antlers and Pamela Anderson’s weave. Wait. I think that might be the baby of that flying dragon thing from The Never Ending Story.  Wait. THAT THING IS RUNNING LIKE A PENGUIN! BUSTED.”

1. Jen
    June 25, 2010 2:51 pm

“I think that might be the baby of that flying dragon thing from The Never Ending Story.”

Awesome!! I remember that movie too! lol ;)

2. Monty
    June 25, 2010 3:07 pm

This post rules — you are el fuego.

Now I can cross seeing a picture of a black wolf grooming Art Carlson’s in a hotel conference room off of my bucket list.

3. bluzdude
    June 25, 2010 3:11 pm

I wonder how many of these people started off innocently, as team mascots?

Then one night, one mascot encounters another in a darkened corridor under the stadium and next thing you know… Dogpile!

4. spoon
    June 25, 2010 3:14 pm

If I were a single guy I would be following the #ac2010 hashtag. There are apparently a lot of Furries fe-somethings that need their fuzzie wuzzies tickled.

5. DG
    June 25, 2010 3:16 pm

You know, I park in the convention center, and going to and from work during this thing is just so….wierd. Do you look at them? Do you not look at them? I swear some of them just really get a kick out of making the 9 to 5 set uncomfortable. My motto – “Stare at your shoes” and hope to hell you don’t step in front of a bus.

6. Dana
    June 25, 2010 3:21 pm

I’ve heard a lot of rumors about the furries’ weird sexual behaviors, but I always gave them the benefit of the doubt. “They aren’t having fake animal orgies,” I told myself. “They just like to dress up and meet other people who dress up.”

And then I saw the Lady Gaga/Cheetah man. http://twitpic.com/1zv2um That zipper? Definitely not so its easier for him to go to the bathroom.

Yeah, these people are weird, and I’m sure some of them are not sexual deviants and just like being with other weird people, but there is really something wrong with that guy. And I really don’t care if I get attacked for saying so.

7. Tina
    June 25, 2010 3:50 pm

a) I love it so much! I am seriously thinking of planning my Burgh visit around next year’s Anthrocon. Not that it is my piece of cake to run around in furry costume, but I cannot stop looking at those ASWESOME (obviously in endless hours handmade) costumes and laughing about it because …. it is damn funny!!!
    Just to make it crystal clear:
    I am not talking about laughing AT but WITH those guys. Most of the costumes just show off a GREAT sense of humor and turn totally normal situations into pure comedy. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

b) I was called “weird” for much less spectacular things than being a furry. I always took it as a compliment. Being normal is boring ;o)

c) Late note for PENGUIN – BUSTED:
    I first saw your tweet, Ginny, opened the article and counted paragraphs like:
    1: Uh bad
    2: Hmmm – could be dangerous
    3: YUK – that’s an UGLY situation
    4: Hopefully such things never happen to me

8: PENGUIN
    *SERIOUSLY ROLL ON THE FLOOR / TEARS LAUGHING*

So if you go to hell for this it will be a crowded place – and hopefully funny ;)

And I am NOT laughing about girls in danger and even less about hanidcapped people, but …. I mean, ….. PLEEEEASE!!! ;)))))

8. Tina
    June 25, 2010 4:06 pm

Hmph … cannot type AWESOME anymore. Blame it to a long work week and a bit of furry overexcitement ;)

9. Sooska
    June 25, 2010 4:32 pm

I tend to be a “live and let live” person regarding just about everything, although there are exceptions, like criminals.

I think dressing up for Halloween is fun.

Some these folks carry it too far, what with the use of litter boxes, filing teeth to resemble lion’s teeth, etc. *shudder*

But! the Furries bring HOT, HUMID weather and I like that.

10. Me
    June 25, 2010 4:46 pm

They come here and spend their money. I really like that about them.

11. 7000th Nerd Girl
    June 25, 2010 4:52 pm

@DG, #5: I swear some of them just really get a kick out of making the 9 to 5 set uncomfortable.

As a member of a different but also visually outlandish group, DING DING DING! Not all of them, but I guarantee you that some of them are all about Freaking Out The Mundys.

I am cool with anyone who does not have a complex about their hobbies. This goes for everyone, furries, fans of obscure rock bands, sports fans, ren faire participants, Scrabble obsessives, everyone. Whatever. Go and have fun.

12. Carpetbagger
    June 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Is it too much to ask that there might be an NRA convention going on during the same weekend next year????

No live rounds, of course. Just tranq darts.

13. K-Mo
    June 25, 2010 6:04 pm

thank you so much for this, i am crying in laughter.

14. BeauJacques
    June 25, 2010 8:24 pm

LUV the wheels on the end of the albino croc’s tail!! :-)

If you get to do interviews Virginia, can you pose a question for me please?

I’m wondering what % of furries’ fave Star Trek episode
    is “The Trouble With Tribbles?”

One of mine.

15. BeauJacques
    June 25, 2010 8:27 pm

PS- After watching the video of Artie(?) Lady GaGa/cheetah,
    I gotta tell ya- creepy!

WAY too much like the Gimp in Pulp Fiction!!

16. Butcher's Dog
    June 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Ren faire folks are OK, but those of us who occasionally do stage combat make fun of reinactors. Seriously. I draw the line there.

17. Elmer Fudd
    June 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Now I know why the Pirates hired the perogie back..They found out the furries were back in town..

18. LisaC
    June 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Probably one of my favorite posts ever! and definitely one of the many things I miss about Pittsburgh! Thanks for helping me not miss it completely!

19. Mike
    June 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Half the costumes (like the Lady Gaga / Cheetah twitpic above) are creepy on their own merit.

The other half are creepy because they tend to look like cartoons drawn for kids shows. There’s a certain undertone of pedophilia to the furries. Its one thing to want to act like an animal. Its another thing to act like a cartoon animal in a kids show. And then you add in the sexual aspect of it… These people may not be pedophiles, but they’re accommodating pedophilic tendencies.

I agree – let’s bring the NRA here to have a convention at the same time as Anthrocon.

20. X
    June 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Mike:

It sounds like you’re projecting ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection )

Dr. Freud will see you, now…

21. BeauJacques
    June 26, 2010 4:31 pm

@Mike-

Can’t ride that bus downtown with you on this!

Cheetah-guy is a little creepy, but, then so are PETA extremists!

I see a crowd of folks who have found a venue to have an animal-costumed themed get-together, have fun, and assuming they are all of legal age, potential hook ups!

NO basis at all for your pedo- theory.

Even tho it might not garner points for the “Manliness” city rating it seems like a great use of our convention facilities and provides some real delight and amusement all over town.

(and y’all think I’m just a curmudgeon! LOL) :-)

22. LaReina
    June 26, 2010 5:57 pm

The one time they emerge from Mom’s basement, and it’s to wear a kangaroo costume?

23. Bitter
    June 26, 2010 8:44 pm

FALCOR!

June 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Little old Ginny got mutilated late last night

Furries of Pittsburgh again.

Awoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

7. Wile E. Coyote?

25. Still A Fan
    June 26, 2010 9:17 pm

#22

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

can you imagine whats going on in the area hotels?

26. BeauJacques
    June 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Add large quantities of alcohol, shrooms, and blotter, and you have a smaller version of Halloween in the Castro District in SF
    in the 70’s & 80’s,… I think,…. foggy memories.

27. BeauJacques
    June 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Goatboy- “Did you see that smokin’ hot lemur at the front bar?

Bullwinkle- “Yeah, she wants me, I can tell.”

28. BeauJacques
    June 26, 2010 10:33 pm

Too bad all the Steelers are scared to death to attend anything
    but a church social!

ac2010 could have provided the best Jeff Reed story yet!!! :-(

29. Politicalpartypooper
    June 27, 2010 7:15 pm

These people are cracked. Will no one help them?! How can you all just sit here making fun of obviously crazy people? And why Pittsburgh, of all places, for the love of God? Why can’t they go to Hell, Michigan, or somewhere in the Upper Peninsula where no one sane will ever see them?

Ginny, as an aside, I did something this weekend that is going to make you insanely jealous. No, it wasn’t Summerfest.

I visited a friend who races pigeons and, get this, keeps them in cages; about the only place you probably think they are fit for. He must have had 150 pigeons enslaved.

Next time I’m there (in a few weeks) I’ll snap some pictures for ya.

30. Alleyne
    June 27, 2010 8:00 pm

You know what’s really weird is someone pretending to have some kind of moral high ground while stealing other people’s photographs in order to mock them.

Just because it’s online doesn’t mean that you’re free to use it, especially not like this.

Bad form, bad behavior. I’d rather spend an hour with a fat guy in a zebra costume than with the person who thinks that they’re superior to the fat guy in the zebra costume.

31. BeauJacques
    June 27, 2010 8:15 pm

@Alleyne (or Scott R. Priester, or whoever you really are)-

Take $5.00, or panhandle it, and go to WalMart
    and BUY A F’ING CLUE!!!

While your at it, revisit your grade school and take remedial
    reading comprehension!!!

32. BeauJacques
    June 27, 2010 9:44 pm

OK, I just read a flurry of furry tweets and I have formed an
    opinion!!

I really hope these 2 do NOT speak for, or represent the Furries as a group!!!

Dear the10za and amditalks

Are you HIGH????????????

Were both of you dropped on your heads as infants??????

You are attending a convention in a city where you leave the venue dressed in F’ING ANIMAL COSTUMES and you get defensive that people NOTICE IT????

Are you soo detached from reality (without hallucinogens)
    that you are trying to “create” some sort of perceived
    Furry-hate?? Furry prejudice?? Furry oppression??

WHAT THE FUCK???

FYI JanePitt is one of the biggest-hearted people I’ve ever met, let alone among bloggers!

I used to do Halloween in the Castro District in SF in the early 80’s and it was…..bizarre isn’t close to a strong enough adjective, and guess what? They can’t do it anymore because
    too many haters show up!! NYC? Good fucking luck!!

JanePitt is a FAN!!!

OH, and that tiresome diatribe about using tweetpics??

Get a FUCKING GRIP!!!

You act as if you were photoshopped and slapped in a hate-blog for $$$

GAWWWD!!!

Smarten the fuck up, and enjoy your festival!!

You have obviously missed your own purpose!!

If you lack some REAL situations, issues and causes to get upset about, take off the costume and go help clean the Gulf, volunteer to help the Haitians, VOLUNTEER AT A REAL ANIMAL SHELTER!!

June 27, 2010 11:22 pm

Squeal like a pig for me, furryboy!

34. BeauJacques
    June 27, 2010 11:26 pm

@bucdaddy-

So, you’re Ned Beatty?? LOL

June 28, 2010 9:31 am

If I ever got behind a furrie.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Born Ned Thomas Beatty
    July 6, 1937 (1937-07-06) (age 72)
    Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.
    Occupation Actor
    Years active 1956–present
    Spouse(s) Walta Addott (1959–1968)
    Belinda Rowley (1971–197?)
    Dorothy Tinker (1979–1998)
    Sandra Johnson (1999–present)
    Ned Thomas Beatty (born July 6, 1937) is an American actor. Beatty was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Network (1976); two Emmy Awards for ‘Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Special’ in Friendly Fire (1979.) and ‘Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Special’ in Last Train Home (1990) as well as a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture for Hear My Song (1991).

Other blockbuster films that featured Beatty include: Deliverance (1972), Nashville (1975), All the President’s Men (1976), Superman (1978), Superman II (1980), The Fourth Protocol (1987), Radioland Murders (1994), Life (1999), Shooter (2007), The Walker (2007), Charlie Wilson’s War (2007), In the Electric Mist (2009), The Killer Inside Me (2010) and Toy Story 3 (2010).

I’d take that resume, even if it meant I also had to do “Thunderpants” and “Hard Time: Hostage Hotel.”

Also: The man has worn out four wives and I’m still working on the first one.

36. BeauJacques
    June 28, 2010 9:52 am

@bucdaddy-

Ned Beatty was the catcher, not the pitcher.

June 28, 2010 10:39 am

Ooops, you’re right.

“The }squeal like a pig’ scene was filmed in one take, a good thing since Beatty said he wouldn’t do it again. To this day, he won’t discuss that scene.”

Speaking of trivia, did you know James Dickey, who wrote the book and the screenplay, also played Sheriff Bullard?

“Don’t ever do nothin’ like this again. Don’t come back up here.”

38. A furry
    June 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Interesting smorgasboard of comments here.

As a furry I will say that yes, some of those who call themselves so are obviously weirder than others, and sure, it’s fair to think us all weird for wanting to run around in the heat in animal suits.

Why do we do it? Because it’s crazy, because we can connect with strangers in a way that people wouldn’t dare to as themselves. Because it’s fun to see people smile, and laugh and even stare in complete disbelief.

Because posing for photos with grinning random people whose day you are probably the highlight of is exciting – when else do average people ever get to feel anything like a celebrity or special?

Because walking by a bar and having a cute woman hold up signs reading “10” and “Furrylicious” while cheering like you’re a sports team mascot never really gets old.

Because sometimes it’s great to not have to deal with the irritating problems, trials and restrictions of everyday life, and maybe you want to act like a goofy cartoon animal and just be noticed, hopefully in a positive way.

Is it sexual? For some, in certain situation, sure. That’s really all most media outlets seem to care about, because kink sells. But all of us are sexual creatures, some of us just do things a little different.

As Tina says, we love those who want to laugh with us. We do know we’re strange and most of us are kind of glad that we are. Normal is excruciatingly dull, and I doubt there are many people in the world who aren’t weird in some way, even if they don’t parade around in toony animal costumes.

Thank you to the people of Pittsburgh that were willing to play along and have fun with us, and to those of you don’t appreciate our uniqueness, at least you won’t have to put up with us for another 360 days.

39. Mystery Penguin