The lucky one

(From steelers.com)

The sports-writers of the Internet are manufacturing some ridiculous drama after Hines Ward, while being interviewed on the NFL channel about his possible future as a sports broadcaster, was asked if Ben had addressed the team yet, and Hines said that he hadn’t. Hines was then asked if he felt Ben should address the whole team regarding what happened in Georgia and Hines said, “I think so. A lot of players really don’t know the situation, other than what we hear in the news or the media. I think when he addresses the whole team going into training camp, we can all put it behind us and move forward.”

USA Today said, “Pittsburgh Steelers WR Hines Ward said Wednesday that QB Ben Roethlisberger has more work to do in order to win back the faith of his teammates before training camp.”

Ron Cook said, “Then, later in the week, Roethlisberger was called out publicly by teammate Hines Ward, who said Ben needs to address the Steelers as a group about his off-field indiscretions.”

ProFootball Talk said, “In other words, Ward expects Ben to address the whole team going into training camp.”

Countless articles and blog posts about Hines Ward publicly calling out Ben Roethlisberger.

Ugh.

Hines was asked a question and he answered it. He didn’t call Ben out publicly so much as he was baited and he took the bait.

Drama, drama, drama.

How about we forget about the fake drama and focus on the REAL drama, the fact that Troy Polamalu’s young friend Heather Miller died from cancer at age 11, and he wasn’t her only Steeler friend:

Take the ones that rolled down Wendy’s face recently when she went through some of the text messages on Heather’s cell phone. She was standing in the kitchen of her Osterburg home when she came across the final text [Casey] Hampton sent to Heather.

Hampton had been in Miami, preparing to play in the Pro Bowl, and he had called Heather to check on her. Her physical condition prevented Heather from talking on the phone.

So Hampton sent her a text message: “If you’re feeling up to it, give me a call. If not, just know I love you.”

Forget Hines’ big mouth or Ben’s off-field shenanigans and the giant Cloud of Drama and Doom circling over their heads.

Remember Heather Miller and her super friends.

Wendy gets just as emotional when she recalls the call from Polamalu on Jan. 29. It came less than a half hour after Heather’s death.

“Wendy,” Polamalu said, “she’s the lucky one.”

June 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Casey just won lifetime immunity from any more Baby Cici Donna remarks. Agreed?

2. VAgirl
    June 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Thanks for sharing the info. It does put things into perspective. Honestly, I was going to skip this topic but I saw Troy’s picture and started to read. We have to remember that our “stillers” are entertainers and they just bring us distractions, hopefully good, to our everyday lives.

3. TripleC
    June 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Wow. That was gut wrenching. What a great story! Too bad more of the media doesn’t run with stories like this, but I guess that’s the media nowadays.

4. Anon
    June 28, 2010 3:16 pm

RIP Heather. It was an honor to know you & your family. I am a better person because of you. FROG

5. PA Girl in VA
    June 28, 2010 3:17 pm

OMG! I just read the full story about Heather and now I’m crying. I HATE IT when I cry at work!

God bless the Miller family – I wish them strength and peace!

6. jmarinara
    June 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Troy and Casey are two of the good guys in Pittsburgh sports.

7. Kathy
    June 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Ditto on the crying at work. But I blew my nose and I have it all together again. Pitt news ought to be carrying these stories too. Of course, it sounds like Mom is respecting Troy’s wishes to not have his private life all over the news.

8. Bulldog
    June 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks for sharing that. This story trumps all the other off-season nonsense that has surrounded the Steelers recently. I never had a doubt that there were some really good souls in that Steeler locker room. I believe that Heather will have a really great view of all the games from now on.

9. red pen mama
    June 28, 2010 3:59 pm

While I am touched by the story of Heather Miller and her Steeler buddies (and refreshed as well knowing there are some good ones out there — NFL players in general, because I would think other teams have similar stories), I have to wonder why, why, why Hines is so often taken out of context. Does the media not want Hines and Ben to like each other? Is the meta message that one of Ben’s receiver’s doesn’t trust/like/respect him and so the team is in trouble? It’s so annoying.

Troy, on the other hand… Man, that’s a beautiful sentiment, but tough. Very tough.

10. Sooska
    June 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Hines can’t win. No matter what he says the Ron Cooks et al of the world will twist the words. They WANT Ward and Roethlisberger to have a fight. Ron Cook is one of the worst (or best depending on your POV) at twisting words and situations – keeps him in a job.

Bravo Casey Hampton! He did what all of us should do – take a little time to express a small sentiment that may mean something bigger to the recipient.

11. Cassie
    June 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Troy is the kind of man I hope my kids look up to some day. What a man.

12. Sarah
    June 28, 2010 9:25 pm

I don’t think Hines is out to get Ben. Afterall, they are always holding onto each other during the final minutes of close games. I think he just doesn’t lie to the media.

Great story on Troy and Casey.