Random n’at.

1. LANDSCAPE RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!

What is a good shrub/small tree, easy to care for, hard to kill, easy to groom, doesn’t grow into an odd-shaped monster missing patches of branches, and doesn’t look like it’d be found growing in the front of the Addams Family home?

I have some shrubbery decisions to make and I’M SO CONFUSED. This will be the THIRD time I’ve planted shrubbery in these three plots and I’d like to not have to rip them out because I eventually come to hate them and their bastard children.

2. You have until tomorrow morning to comment on the bird/monkey post to win tickets to the Aviary event.

Also, because you’re wondering, yes, I’m researching monkey-eating monkeys.

3.  My husband and I LOVE Last Comic Standing because 9 out of 10 comedians crack our collective shit up. Last night we were all [gasp!] when contestant Jesse Joyce did his bit and told the audience that he’s from Pittsburgh and then proceeded to tell a hilarious, if fast-paced joke about Pittsburgh, the tunnels, and tunnel traffic that he personally caused.

You can watch it here. Just fast forward to the 54 minute mark.

Jesse Joyce IS THE TUNNEL MONSTER.

He got cut though, so that’s a big bummer. I’m hoping to catch him locally soon. You can catch him on twitter here.

4. ATTENTION COUGARS!

ATTENTION TAYLOR LAUTNER, COUGARS EAT WOLVES.

5. If you pray, a prayer please for Lisa Styles, as well as her husband Brett, daughters June (5) and Evelyn (1), and son Nate (3). I am hearing from her friend that things are looking very grave for her.

Her friend tells me that a witness at the scene said that it appeared Lisa pushed the stroller out of the way before she was hit and dragged by the SUV.

She’s my age. I can’t fathom it.

6. Bob Nutting was named The Light of the Valley.

No, I am not in fact making that shit up.

7. Hilarious Craigslist What the Effie!

“The job itself may be a little degrading, but none more so than a cocktail waitress.”

(h/t Valerie)

8.  Do me a favor please? Go here and fill this form out on the Pittsburgh Technology Council website? It takes like a minute and it will go a long way in helping out the Ben Franklin Technology Development Authority, which provides funding to Innovation Works and the Technology Collaborative, and other programs.

They’ve already seen their budget slashed from $56 million to $20 million and any further cuts, well, that’s a bad thing for Pittsburgh.

A very bad thing.

Thanks for your help, you guys!

9.  Look what reader Mike made me!

[fist pump!]

1. Monty
    June 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Should you really start a post by requesting “landscaping” advice immediately on the heels of one in which you compare a home wax job to an ornery Mr. Magoo?

2. Tolnski
    June 29, 2010 2:15 pm

Give me a bit more info & I can give you some plnt recommendations. Sunny spot? Shady? Both? Want something flowery? Fall color? Etc.

-tolnski (landscape architect)

3. Dan (Not Onarato)
    June 29, 2010 2:24 pm

@ Monty

I was thinking the same thing!

4. Al Lambrini
    June 29, 2010 3:02 pm

re #5 just terrible, awful for that poor woman and her family. I know that intersection well and have witnessed the same thing cars pull up to turn right while the drivers look left to see if they can pull out they do not look rigght to see if pedestrians are coming I have been in the exact same situaiton at that stop sign. Let’s hope for some goood news here.

5. jaf
    June 29, 2010 3:18 pm

@ #7 – the best part of this is that they are going to tailgate at PNC Park but not actually go to the game …. Go Bucs!

6. JenEngland
    June 29, 2010 3:21 pm

I am apparently alone in this, but I don’t find Taylor Lautner at all attractive. In that picture above (is that him?) he looks like he should be wearing a trench coat and talking about Dungeons and Dragons online with NecromancerKing91 and DarkRav3n$tar

7. red pen mama
    June 29, 2010 3:37 pm

#4. I do not get the Twilight Team Jacob/Team… the other one. Edward? Neither one of those young’uns appeal to me, and I am of certifiable cougar age.

#5. How awful for that family. I have been thinking about her/them all day long.

8. Beth
    June 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: #4 – don’t know if I qualify as a cougar, since I’m “only” 12 years older than him, but ROWRRRRRR!!!!

Ginny, can I borrow your Stalk-o-meter?

9. Noelle
    June 29, 2010 4:04 pm

Great t-shirt I saw had “Team Edward” crossed out, under that “Team Jacob” crossed out, and under that “Team Threesome” NOT crossed out. I don’t find any of them attractive but it was a funny shirt.

10. Dani_PA
    June 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Screw Jacob, True Blood’s Alcide is from Mt. Lebanon!

11. Honoria Glossup
    June 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Lisa Styles is an incredible person and amazing mother. I ask all readers please do all that you can to help Lisa and her family through this unimaginable tragedy.

12. Virginia
    June 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Tolnsky,

“Give me a bit more info & I can give you some plnt recommendations. Sunny spot? Shady? Both? Want something flowery? Fall color?”

I have three spots in the sun.

Two in the shade/late day sun.

My most particular preference … something that still looks good in the winter.

HALP.

13. Tracy
    June 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Jesse Joyce rocked. Sad he got cut. Guess you have to be from the Burg to appreciate his tunnel joke coz it sure was hilarious…but sadly, so true.

June 29, 2010 4:57 pm

1. Holly, if you can trust the kids not to eat the berries.

15. Kathy
    June 29, 2010 5:17 pm

1. After the wax job post, I’d recommend some Brazillian shrub.

2. I didn’t really focus on primates in my anthropology grad, but recall that common monkeys routinely hunt in packs and will eat other monkey’s babies. Recall watching a rather grotesque video of the same. don’t google it, monkey death screams are disturbing. Srsly. It’s one of many reasons to study linguistics instead.

June 29, 2010 5:21 pm

#7 = funny.

#6 = funnier.

#5 = not funny at all.

17. displaced pittsburgher
    June 29, 2010 8:10 pm

I just read the story about Lisa and that she lost her life. I am so ANGRY about the driver. If the report is true he should not have been driving at all. We have rules for driving and he ignored them. I am so sorry for her family. How do we get people like him off the road. I just don’t understand. These children have lost their mother and Amy Ambrusko has lost her children. It just doesn’t make sense.

18. Different Brian
    June 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Jesse Joyce

He’s been making appearances every now and then on Fox News Channel’s 3am show, Red Eye. For maybe a year or so. He’s quite funny… knowing now he is from Pittsburgh, he’s extra funny.

Red Eye is a good show, and not the kind of thing you’d expect on Fox News, regardless of your political views. Set your DVR now and thank me later. And if you disagree with me, you’re worse than a pigeon.

19. Lauren C.
    June 29, 2010 8:28 pm

I was so excited to see Jesse Joyce on LCS last night! He went to Canevin with my husband and comes home to the Burgh yearly to do a comedy show. Totally worth checking out!!! He’s hysterical.

20. HollyT
    June 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Remind me to never date anyone named Bill Thomas or anyone associated with him. What a pig. I’m going to say poor bride too. WTF??

21. BeauJacques
    June 29, 2010 8:55 pm

@HollyT-

Yet, I’m guessing you might JUMP at the chance to be just such a paid personal assistant, providing the exact same services to a movie star? Like a Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp for instance?

That’s different huh??

22. Kim Z
    June 29, 2010 10:11 pm

I was excited to see Jesse Joyce. I remember seeing him do stand-up when he was a student at Duquesne University. He should have gotten into the finals. He’s much better looking than the other guy.

23. AmyLa
    June 29, 2010 10:13 pm

Try a boxwood bush. They are pretty hardy. It’s one of the few things I haven’t killed in my garden…

24. RAD
    June 29, 2010 11:17 pm

I love boxwood. They’re evergreen and do well in sun or shade. You don’t have to trim them if you don’t want to, because they have a beautiful loosely rounded form, but of course they respond well to very creative pruning and shaping.

“Green Velvet” is a very nice, affordable variety — truly velvety — large specimens available at Home Depot. BUT — do NOT get “Korean Boxwood” — yuck. Really bad experience… and they’re kind of hard and pointy, like holly. (Not a holly fan.)

25. kelly
    June 29, 2010 11:29 pm

I agree Jesse Royce should have made it. We was on our way to kennywood today left from greentree on to the parkway and what do u know traffic going into fort pitt tunnels and hubby and I was cracking up becuase we was like “jesse must have gone through the tunnel right before us and we are in his traffic” Got us through the slow traffic. LOL

26. Mama Moose
    June 30, 2010 4:02 am

Ms. Stiles passed away yesterday. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10181/1069251-55.stm

Oh, to have to leave your babies because somebody did something selfish and stupid.

27. Kristie
    June 30, 2010 10:58 am

Just read about Lisa’s passing. Being a new mom, I can even imagine those poor kids having to grow up without their Mom because of some selfish douchebag pothead. I hope he rots in jail.

28. MadMadMad
    June 30, 2010 11:26 am

Jail is too sweet a deal (not to mention a drain on taxpayers). My only objection to the death penalty in this country is that it’s underutilized.

29. BeauJacques
    June 30, 2010 11:38 am

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 30, 2010

Candlelight Vigil In Honor Of Lisa Styles
    POSTED BY JOE POLK AT 10:45 AM /
    A candlelight vigil in honor of Lisa Styles is being planned for 7:30 PM this Thursday, July 1 at the intersection of Beadling and Washington Roads in Mt. Lebanon. There will be two minutes of silence at 7:45 PM.

Additional information regarding other ways to help will be forthcoming from her family and friends. We will post information as we receive it. Please continue to keep Lisa, her husband, children and family in your prayers.
    Labels: in memory of Lisa Styles

30. BeauJacques
    June 30, 2010 11:51 am

I am NOT excusing this kid in ANY way, but I truly and sincerely thank God that I never injured anybody while driving impaired or distracted.

I did so in the past, I do not anymore, ever.

This kid who killed the bicyclist cuz his sandals were tangled, the death on rt 22 last week, and how many accidents now are texting/ cell phone related??

One split second is all it takes.

Again, I thank God.

I truly wish it didn’t take tragedies like this to remind us how fleeting life is.

31. Scottie
    June 30, 2010 12:24 pm

For shrubbery: I got some Red-twig Dogwood bushes for my back yard (nothing seems to grow there, and the lady from Best Feeds said to try them). They are beautiful…green and white leaves, nice shape, and in the winter the branches turn bright red (you can also get yellow ones), which adds more color to the snow and brown of our Pittsburgh Winters.

32. MrsGJG
    June 30, 2010 3:16 pm

That poor woman and her family. It’s so terribly sad.

33. Sooska
    July 1, 2010 7:48 am

RE #6 Bob Nutting & “Light of the Valley: is that the “Valley of the Shadow of Death?”

34. tolnski
    July 1, 2010 11:37 am

Hey Ginny,

I am sending you a messasge with some plant info!