Cowher Power/Tomlin WHAT?!

Gosh, it drives me nuts that we still don’t have a “Cowher Power” type thing for Mike Tomlin.

Why couldn’t his last name be Selectricity or Fawsome or Thight or Roltage? I’m just sayin’. Tomlin doesn’t rhyme with anything but maybe Ramen, and cheap noodles don’t exactly scream WINNER to me.

Anyway, Mike Tomlin is sticking around until 2014 at least, thanks to a new contract, this according to the P-G.

I took to Twitter to see how Burghers were feeling about this, and resoundingly, they approve.

I do too.

Yeah, last season sucked a rotten egg.

Yeah, if this season sucks donkey omelets, I might give him The Eye and I don’t mean The Come Hither Eye, I mean The Tsk Eye.

Then if the following season sucks, The Tsk Eye will give way to The Your Platitudes Are Starting To Bug Me Eye, which will give way the next losing season to The REALLY?!? Eye which will give way the following losing season to The I Got No More Use For This Guy Eye.

So yeah, 2014 sounds about right.

1. Carpetbagger
    July 13, 2010 12:42 pm

I tried Tomlin in an Internet rhyme machine and here’s what it spit out:

Kremlin
    bacchanalian (Ben?)
    gremlin
    lanolin
    vermillion
    Cromwellian
    adrenalin
    Pygmalion
    Himalayan

Yeah, I’m not sure they know what rhyme means.

2. DG
    July 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Tomlin Time.

3. Pensgirl
    July 13, 2010 12:48 pm

I thought his nickname was “Omar.”

Kidding!

How about “The Warden?”

Still kidding! (I think.)

Actually, I file it under “some people are too cool to be nicknamed.” I mean, just look at that picture. You don’t need a moniker for all the awesome radiating off that man.

4. Joe K.
    July 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Good move by the Steelers. This was needed after this off-season. Like pensgirls said maybe no nickname is needed.

5. Sooska
    July 13, 2010 1:03 pm

agree with Pensgirl- no cheerleaders. no nickname. unless its Joe Cool.

July 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Tomlin da Bomblin?

Do I win a prize?

7. CrashJK
    July 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Oh good…more robot-like sound bites from this tool for 3 more years…thank GOD baseball and hockey overlap the NFL season…

8. bluzdude
    July 13, 2010 1:23 pm

I’m surprised none of the ladies have suggested “Nom-nomlin”.

July 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Well, let’s see …

He works next door to a casino that now has table games.

His QB is lucky No. 7 (walked away from a head-on crash and two rape allegations).

He occasionally gambles, but he usually plays his cards right. When he doesn’t, fickle Steeler Nation says, “He’s craps!”

And he’s black, Jack!

= Tomlin’ Dice

10. Cathy
    July 13, 2010 1:56 pm

What you think that the bucco multi year sucko is going to move down the river??

11. Still A Fan
    July 13, 2010 2:02 pm

Tomlin…..Demol’in?

Tomlin “Getcha” FreakOn?

12. CrashJK
    July 13, 2010 2:26 pm

how about wtf ?

Let’s see, he’s brought back more of Cowher’s players…seems like he’s continuing to bank on past success…outta be fun seeing him dodge the new bullets while Benny the DoucheBag sits on the bench and his less than stellar crop of tired old players fail or get hurt in the first few minutes of the season…ymmv.

LET’S GO PENS !!!!

13. Erin
    July 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Why is chewing a toothpick so sexy!? I vote for Nom-nomlin.

14. Spanky
    July 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Not since Don Cornelieus graced our TV has there been such a suave dood in charge. Perhaps a Soul Train inspired name is in order:

Bonus: Guess the gentleman that appears at 1:08 in the clip and you’ll get a smooch from me!

15. Pa-pop
    July 13, 2010 3:33 pm

2003’s Stillers lost five games by a combined 23 points, illustrating the fine line between losing and winning that Bill Cowher was fond of pointing out. With a little luck that year, the team could’ve finished 11-5 instead of 6-10. All of this is to say that, regardless of won-lost records, Tomlin is deserving of the extension, and that continuity and consistency have served the Steelers well for 41 seasons.

BTW, it’s hard to say now if we were “lucky” to go 6-10 in 2003 because that led to drafting you-know-who in 2004. (Ricardo Colclough is the wrong answer.)

One more thought: “Runnin’ on MT” sounds kind of cool but sends a disastrous message.

16. Bulldog
    July 13, 2010 3:59 pm

not for nuthin’ but Chuck Noll didn’t have a fancy, rhyming nickname given to his program a la “Cowher Power” and things turned out pretty darned well for him. He had plenty of nicknames given to him along the way, such as “The Emperor” but nothing says it better than “Steeler’s Football” and he’s fond enough of that. As for a personal nickname, I too go with Pensgirl, Too cool to be nicknamed.

17. aDerek
    July 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Alright, Spanky, I give up. Who is it? I had to watch on my teeny-tiny blackberry screen and the blurry little dude in the sweater vest looked like Rerun from What’s Happening – or at least, someone who stole his moves.

18. malbrec92
    July 13, 2010 4:13 pm

First of all, Erin, Nom-nomlin is AWESOME!

Second, I got nothin’ in the nickname department, but I wanted to tell you that I was ROTFL over The Eyes. Because I tried to imagine what each of those Eyes looked like and I succeeded all to well. Loved it!

July 13, 2010 4:51 pm

how about “douchebag babysitter”?

July 13, 2010 4:52 pm

btw, “sucks donkey omelets” = never not funny.

21. Hawki
    July 13, 2010 5:50 pm

He has a first and a middle name too that might be more rhymable? rhyeriffic? rhyme-worthy? rhymericious? — Michael Pettaway Tomlin – as in, “Benny, pettaway your tomlin or so help me God, I will mike it into a donkey omlet.”

22. cmajefferson
    July 13, 2010 6:10 pm

It IS difficult to come up with a nickname for SHAFT!…duna-na-naaa… “they say that Tomlin he’s a bad mutha…SHUT YOUR MOUTH!” … I’m just talking about Shaft!”

…in other words…no nickname needed, BadA$$ comes to mind….but I do like some of the ones above (especially Nom-nomlin)!

23. Spanky
    July 13, 2010 6:16 pm

aDerek: …and you got that right! That be ReRun hisself! Smmmooooocchhh!!

July 14, 2010 10:40 am

bulldog,

You never heard Chuck “Grassy” Noll?

He was a bit of a conspiracy theorist, see, and …

25. jc
    July 14, 2010 2:52 pm

After this contract extension, I say we call him Money Mike or $ Mike for short.