Random n’at

1.  This is the space where I write something fun about my personal life. My brain is fried. Make up your own fun story about my personal life. Make sure it includes David Conrad handing me a cold Zima and then ripping his shirt off before cutting firewood.

2.  If you are a fan of Secret Agent L, there are new shirts up at Wear Pittsburgh! This is the one I’ll be wearing to her reveal party on July 24 at Firehouse Lounge:

If you plan to wear a Secret Agent L shirt to the party, you’ll need to order before Monday to get it in time for the party on Saturday.

3. CNN has a follow-up story and video with Sam and Diane (!) McMutrie regarding their adoption of Fredo, the cutest ball of cute ever.

Here’s an awesome snippet:

“My kids have taught us about what it means to sacrifice and help someone because that’s what you’re supposed to do,” said Sam McMutrie.

“To live your dream means more than anything to me. I’m so thankful that we allowed them to do what they wanted to do.”

4. Pigeon poop closed a road in Lexington, Kentucky.

I didn’t just make that up. PIGEON POOP CLOSED A ROAD IN LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY.

(h/t @BekiLynne)

5. Recent college graduate Burgher Adam Brok is walking from the Point in Pittsburgh all the way to Philadelphia to raise awareness about hunger and homelessness, and to raise funds for organizations along the route that work to alleviate these problems, including the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.

Adam needs:

• Places to stay along the route
  • Food to eat
  • Friends and/or supporters to walk with him for any distance.

Read here for more info!

(h/t Becky)

6.  Wolf fever continues! A reader email:

So I was at my son’s tournament baseball game at Hampton tonight, and who was filming across the street at Hampton High School?  Yep, Jacob himself.  There were about 300 girls (and a few boys) who were standing at the edge of the parking lot when we arrived at 5:30 p.m.  It started raining at 6, but most of them were still there at 8:45 p.m. when we left.  And the craze goes on …

7. Mikey and Big Bob caught Andrew Stockey’s sexy slip up

YouTube Preview Image

Charge for sex. HAH!

SEX ON THE BRAIN, ANDREW?

8. Sid won the ESPY for the Best NHL Player last night, his fourth time in a row. He broke Mario’s record of having won it three times in a row.

9. Turnpike tolls are going up AGAIN. It already costs a dollar to drive eleven miles on the damn thing, and come January, I’ll have to fish out a dime to go with that dollar.

I remember when it cost fifty cents!

And it was uphill both ways in the snow!

And please don’t tell me how increased tolls mean more money for our roads, not when toll takers make 25 bucks an hour to make change.

10. Oh, PERSONAL ANECDOTE! My brain just unfried.

Me: TOE CRAMP! Eff. I’m getting old.

Husband: THAT’S what gave it away?

Such a smart ass, that one.

1. Erin
    July 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Hee hee re: Sam and Diane. Your exclamation point made me chuckle.

Also, is this headline perhaps an overuse of alliteration? Made my head hurt! “Pigeons’ Preferred Perch Plagues Pavement With Poop”

2. SpudMom
    July 15, 2010 12:33 pm

RE: The CNN story on the McMutries – I read it yesterday and it was very sweet. Just, whatever you do, DO NOT read the comments on the article.

3. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    July 15, 2010 1:12 pm

If you don’t have one already, get an E-Z Pass. Then the toll increase will only be 3 cents for your commute and you can wave as you go past everyone at the Monroeville exit through the E-Z Pass lane. I love E-Z Pass. It can also be used in a bunch of other states on the east coast and heading west. When I drove cross country it was a breeze going through Indiana and Illinois. Ohio, for some odd reason, isn’t connected though.

4. Me
    July 15, 2010 1:22 pm

SpudMom,

I read some of those comments yesterday and found it highly depressing.

5. sg
    July 15, 2010 1:22 pm

I think it’s ridiculous that the Turnpike spends money to buy advertising time on the local TV stations. Why do they need to advertise? Everyone knows about the Turnpike. Is it Joe Brimmeier’s secret desire to be a TV star? No doubt that money could and should be spent on something worthwhile. Just one more reason that the Turnpike Commission needs to be disbanded. They have way too much power.

6. Matt
    July 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Due to Act 44, that got passed in 2007, the tolls on the turnpike will increase 3% annually. The PA turnpike is one of the least cost effective roads in the country (http://reason.org/news/show/1002991.html). If the state would use better material for making roads, maybe they wouldn’t have as hard of a time trying to pass budgets because they could use that money for other things. I guess it’s always nice to have job security though.

7. owlgirl
    July 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Ginny — definitely get an EZPass. Makes life sooooo much easier. And you can buy them at the Iggle now!

8. Amy
    July 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Being a grad of the University of Kentucky (Lexington, KY), I just had to run to that link… but there’s an oops- it happened in Louisville, not Lexington. HAHAAA! Exactly what the Lou needs – more poo!

9. SpudMom
    July 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Ex-PAt Pit Girl – Ohio is connected to the EZPass system. We went through with an EZPAss just this past November when heading to MI for Thanksgiving with my family. :)

10. PittinDC
    July 15, 2010 2:00 pm

That increase on the turnpike is just another reason to keep taking the scenic route from DC to Pittsburgh. That and fewer trucks :)

11. Mary (aka Cool Chick)
    July 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes, EZ Pass is one of the few things the state does that actually works. In the early days, they accidently charged me once and took the fee off. Plus, if you dial the area code wrong (800? 888? can’t remember…) you get a sex line.

Anyway, my son always gives people waiting at the tolls the loser sign (“L” on forehead) as we whizz by.

12. Schuyler
    July 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Love the new shirts – just ordered one. And ordered a Pgh Baseball shirt that I’d been wanting for a while … so excited!! :-)

13. Karen
    July 15, 2010 2:52 pm

We just drove back from Harrisburg on the scenic route of Rt 30 and we will definitely do that from now on, weather permitting. When I started college in 1992, I think it was something like $2.60 in tolls from Harrisburg West to Pittsburgh.

14. Cassie
    July 15, 2010 4:22 pm

First of all, EZ Pass rocks. Just used mine today :)

Next, what airline is paying for sex?

15. Sooska
    July 15, 2010 4:49 pm

TP tolls for EZ Pass will go up 3% Cash payers will get a 10% increase. Being that the current EZ Pass “discount” for some exits is 1-2 cents and none at all for busy exits like Carlisle, this is giant news.

Pigeon poop from bats and sea birds is known as guano and is so valuable the US once passed a law that allowed anyone finding an unoccupied island of guano was allowed to claim it for themselves. Ba-zinga!

16. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    July 15, 2010 6:35 pm

@SpudMom — thanks for the update on Ohio. When I drove back from the West Coast in early 2009 they weren’t connect yet. Good to hear!

17. DG
    July 15, 2010 9:09 pm

I just found out yesterday it costs $3.90 to travel from Westgate to Cranberry on the PA turnpike. Highway robbery. (HA!). Absolute nonsense.

18. Pa-pop
    July 15, 2010 9:28 pm

“On a Louisville highway, cool wind in my hair/
    Foul smell of cloacas, rising up through the air…”

July 16, 2010 9:24 am

Welcome to the Hotel Pennsylvania, Pa-pop.

Somehow I can drive from one corner of the state (SW) to another (NE) and not pay a dime. It helps that the first half of the trip runs through West Virginia and Maryland …

20. jeff
    July 16, 2010 3:28 pm

If Adam Brok really wanted to raise awareness for hunger/homelessness, wouldn’t he do it WITHOUT finding places to stay/food to eat ahead of time? Seems like this way, he’s just going on a long walk…

21. Jodi
    July 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Did you catch this paragraph in the pigeon droppings report?: “And while their business was being blasted away, the pigeons perched on nearby power lines, trying to look innocent.”