Last week I decided that my blog’s sidebar was a chaotic annoying sidebar that needed redded up in a major way. I’m not exactly sure what a widget is, but it clearly needed some widgets.
So this week, I asked my butler Woy:
“If I wanted to make changes to my sidebar without bugging you about it, I would do that how?”
“I would give you access to the sidebar editor and I would back that shit up.”
“Okay. I’m going to attempt some minor changes. So you should back that shit up before I destroy it.”
“When were you thinking of making edits?”
“I already started.”
“You are a dangerous woman.”
So I wrestled with my sidebar, with html, and with widgets (not really widgets, I just like to say widgets) for two and a half hours and I managed to add that little “Follow me” twitter icon you see there. Go me! But I couldn’t center it for the life of me. I also managed to entirely delete the border of my blog, and there were hundreds of gray divider lines running down the whole length of my blog. The coupons apparently taught the divider lines a thing or two about sex. I can only imagine the havoc that would be wrought if widgets started having sex. Regardless, my blog was a hot mess and it completely exploded when I forgot to close a <div> tag, which is apparently the virtual equivalent of pressing the detonator button on a hunk of C-4 in real life. I was covered in exploded remnants of incorrect HTML code. Brackets and back slashes all over the damn place.
Luckily, Woy backed that shit up and came riding in on his virtual white horse and saved the day.
He fixed what I effed up, and in a matter of 30 minutes total did all the other things I wanted.
So what you’ll notice has changed:
- I have removed the big “THIS IS THE YEAR” button because it was mocking me. I kid. I removed it because I’m trying reverse psychology on the Universe. Also, I asked real loudly to the angels if they thought I should take the button down and they whispered in my left ear, “Yes.”
- The Pittsburgh Mag button will actually take you to my archives over at the magazine instead of the magazine’s main page. Making your life easier.
- Mike put my blog archives into calendar form instead of the long list of months spanning five years. That list drove me nuts. It’s gone. It can kiss my grits.
- I deleted both the category listings and the tags, because my God, tag clouds are ugly, and because Luke Ravenstahl’s name was the biggest word in the cloud. If you want to find something, just search under the “Find something!” box and you’ll find it.
- The tag cloud and category list have been replaced by the most recent reader comments. Much prettier.
- And perhaps the sexiest update, when you click on a post you’ll find at the bottom there are now a few options for you to share the post a bit easier. You can email it, tweet it, facebook it, or click the green Share This button and choose your poison. Woy is working to have those options available to you straight from the main page.