This picture is worth $1,000

This might be the worst picture ever of me.

I don’t even know what to say about my 14-year-old self standing with my oldest sister Ta-Ta on her high school graduation day.

It’s like Bill Cosby meets Roseanne Barr meets your grandma’s hair meets a Twinkie.

I’m pretty sure there are ugly ducklings looking at this picture all [vomit].

But, you should see these THREE pictures I will unveil if I reach the $1,500 mark.

Hint: Running.

Hint:  Mullet.

Hint: “ROTFLMAO.” ~Steve Urkel

I will also post a comparison of me at 16 versus my mother at 16. And I’m going to research long and hard to figure out at exactly what point in time the fug entered our family’s genome map, because it clearly did not come from my mother.

Remember, every penny goes toward children diagnosed with pediatric cancer at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.

I really appreciate your generosity, friends. Here’s a video from Genre that kind of shows what the kids who have cancer go through (The 1:30 mark? OUCH.) and how gaming helps.

Also, at 1:13? My church’s youth minister looks like James Roday. For serious.

YouTube Preview Image

1. Erin
    August 3, 2010 1:52 pm

Oh, my. Oh, Ginny. That is awesome. Okay, and did you mean to say “elementary school graduation”? Because your sister looks all of 12.

2. Cassie
    August 3, 2010 2:03 pm

First of all, you look hawt.

Secondly, thank GOD kids are born resillient. It breaks my heart that sickness, injuries, cancer…can happen to a kid. It’s so unfair.

Thanks for being such an awesome, caring, amazingly positive woman. Thanks for what you do.

3. Michele
    August 3, 2010 2:05 pm

Aside from the obvious (that sweater??), why are you wearing a turtleneck and sweater in June? Was it to draw attention away from the bad Rave Home Perm incident?

4. Susan
    August 3, 2010 2:05 pm

I like your hair much better now.

Seriously though we all have these in our closets somewhere. Unless you’re like me and burned them so no one would ever see me like that…

5. Virginia
    August 3, 2010 2:07 pm

Michele,

I have no idea. But I do remember that the turtleneck was stitched into the sweater. They were inseparable.

6. SusanV
    August 3, 2010 2:10 pm

I’m totally loving this. I love what you do for the sick kids. You’re awesome!

7. Amy S
    August 3, 2010 2:18 pm

You do realize that when you wore that you would have been considered a sexy beast.

8. SpudMom
    August 3, 2010 2:26 pm

I love you, Ginny, and think you’re awesome but I can’t get over the fact that you appear to have stolen my grandmother’s glasses.

9. TripleC
    August 3, 2010 2:31 pm

Holy sheot!!!!!!

You should get some type of lifetime achievement award for turning out as hot as you have.

Steve Urkel is sooooo proud of you.

10. Chris
    August 3, 2010 2:33 pm

Aren’t high school graduations in the summer? Why was that sweater not deeply buried in your dresser for that reason alone?!

11. Marcy
    August 3, 2010 2:50 pm

Ginny, I think you need to start a website where people post the gawky pictures of themselves as teens compared to the gorgeousness of them as adults (seriously, look at all the photos of you now, you’re a knockout) to give the gawky youth of the world hope for the future. Although I live in Mt Lebanon and every teenaged girl I meet looks like an Abercrombie ad, but no one looked like that when *I* was in high school…must be the water…

12. Kathy
    August 3, 2010 2:56 pm

Wow. Can I be mean? The only thing worse than that sweater is that hair. Don’t post a picture of your mom at 16… post her when she looks bad. Because seriously, someone should have been looking out for you.
    *scurries off to ensure that nobody can get ahold of the pink “check this out!” tshirt and hair picture.*

13. Tina Fey
    August 3, 2010 3:10 pm

Gin, Dad and I have been cracking up at these pics. Seriously, we were all ugly, but Mom really wasn’t helping you out with that hair. I seem to remember she refused to let you grow it long because it became a rat’s nest that she couldn’t comb without you screaming bloody murder. And somehow Ta-Ta hasn’t aged a day. Bee-yotch.

14. bluzdude
    August 3, 2010 3:26 pm

You know, the last picture I was thinking, “Aww, she looks cute!” And this one? Well that last one was really cute!

I think we should be able to hold our parents liable for letting us out of the house looking like that. Lord knows I have some hideous clothing mistakes in my long tortured past… The Urban Cowboy days alone should be enough to get me good parking spots for life.

15. Me
    August 3, 2010 3:30 pm

I think it was the time period. Anyone who was an adolescent any time from about the mid-70s to late-80s (plus or minus a few years)was just screwed. All kids have awkward stages, but ours were worse with weird hair and clothing styles.

16. Burgh Baby
    August 3, 2010 3:38 pm

Here’s the thing–you were 14. That means you had no means of transportation to a store or income without the assistance of others. So…who the hell helped you acquire that sweater? Really, there is quite a bit of blame that should be thrown at that person.

17. Monty
    August 3, 2010 3:45 pm

It’s not so bad. Although you do look a little like Meeno Peluce from the Voyagers! tv show.

August 3, 2010 3:58 pm

meeno peluce — totally.

his sister? that’s right. punky brewster.

19. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    August 3, 2010 4:53 pm

I had an aunt who for Christmas, birthdays, whatever, gave all of her nieces and nephews clothes that would rival that sweater. The biggest difference I think, though, is that we were smart enough to realize that our aunt had absolutely no taste or pulse on what was stylish and our mothers refused to let us wear whatever hideous sweater, skirt set, appliqued sweatshirt, etc… out in public.

20. Sue
    August 3, 2010 9:53 pm

Life lessons…what you look like at 14 is not necessarily what you will look like 10 or 20 years later! That is one scary picture – and look at you now – gorgeous! I thought the same thing this week when I saw Chelsea Clinton in her wedding photos – remember her “awkward” years in the whitehouse??? Scary. Why are there no teenagers today who look like this??

21. RedInDaBurgh
    August 3, 2010 11:24 pm

I’ve been having a bad couple of days and hadn’t checked your blog since last week. But your harrowing adolescent pictures and commentary cracked my shit up, and inspired me to donate to Genre’s fund, because anybody brave enough to let those pictures be seen in a public forum deserves some kind of reward.

It also has inspired me to rush over to my parent’s house and destroy all my childhood and teenage pictures my mother safeguards as “precious memories”. It was the 80’s! We didn’t know it was a called a mullet back then!

Thanks for making me laugh at the end of a challenging day.

22. John in the Rocks
    August 4, 2010 1:05 pm

Best. Picture. Ever.

You have totally blossomed since those days of yesteryear.

Marcy – #12 – You are on the money about every teen girl these days looking like they stepped out of an Abercrombie ad. They sure didn’t look like that when I was in my teens. What the heck are they feeding these kids today! :)

23. MattDC
    August 4, 2010 3:53 pm

Social psychology lesson. The last picture had lots of male responses, because, well, you looked better than we expected. This one has lots of female replies, because, well, you looked as funny as they hoped. I’m with Bluzdude #15 on this one.