I wanted to tell you …

My life has been a bit hectic lately, and that means I haven’t had time to chat with you about all the things I wanted to chat with you about. You know, if I wouldn’t write such ridiculously wordy sentences like the one I just wrote, I’d probably have more free time. I have so much self-awareness it’s scary. But you can’t grow up looking like I did and not be completely self-aware.

Look at this tangent. THIS IS WHY I HAVE NO TIME.

I made the decision yesterday to start simplifying my life. Cutting things out. Saying no to things. Because this girl right here? Is a yes girl. Yes! YES! Sure! NO PROBLEM! And then all those yeses build up on top of your head until you collapse to the floor under their weight all, “NOOOOOOoooooooo.”

Some of the things I didn’t get to chat with you about because I’m such a yes girl, and all of them have to do with the Steelers:

1. Some of the Steelers, including Daniel Sepulveda (STEP OFF!) went to Mexico City, where they have an enormous fan base. ENORMOUS. I can’t even tell you how popular the Steelers are in Mexico. There are two team jerseys you can always find in any store in Mexico, the Steelers and the Cowboys [ptooie ptooie]. The reason my husband gave me a second look when we met in Mexico and he was a hot nightclub manager and I was a dork in braids and a hat? He heard I was from Pittsburgh and he wanted to talk Steelers. True. Story.

Here are two pics from Steelers.com. More can be found here.

2. Jeff Reed, who I need to tread on lightly just for a bit because I’m trying to get him to do a nice thing for a SICK KID (the irony is not lost on me), said:

“I’m not going to point anyone out or any statement out, but, yeah, I was told one thing and another thing happened,” Reed said after training camp Saturday. “I understand business moves, but I’m not a big fan of lying.”

Jeff will be making $2.8 million this year to kick the football for us.

That’s all I’m going to say about that for now, but you should read the whole article and then in the comments of this post, do your best to SAY WHAT I AM THINKING AND USE THE WORD “SLUTS” IF YOU CAN.

3. I’m hoping to get a What They’re Really Thinking: Training Camp Edition out this week. Fingers crossed!

4. Troysus is going to be a father again.

Yes, that is his verified twitter account.

5. Ben Roethlisberger was all ascared ’cause he thought the fans would boo him at training camp, and in true fanatic fashion, they did not. They welcomed him with open arms and cheering and hero worship adoration.

Benny gave an interview to the P-G and he almost had me, you guys.

He talked about being afraid, and wanting a second chance and about his dad and …

I am hoping and praying that I get a warm reception. I hope people want to give me another chance and that they will give me that chance to prove to them … It would tear me apart if [booing] happened at home. On the road we are used to it anyway. I can block that out; but it touches my heart because I love Pittsburgh.”

Awwwwwwww, Benny.

He had me until “yinzer.”

I’m a ‘yinzer.’ I don’t say it, but I am a yinzer.

And that’s when the “CALCULATED PR MOVE” light I keep in my brain started flashing and the warning beep-boops started and the siren went off and reached out and bitchslapped me for almost giving in so easily.

Benny considers himself a yinzer about as much as I consider myself a fantastic singer.

Have you heard me sing? What did the doctor say about the blood that oozed from your ears?

Nice try, Benny. Less talky, more do-y.

1. PK
    August 4, 2010 10:28 am

Where does Troysus live in the off-season? Only asking because my brother lives in LA and and when he goes jogging up this insane hill he always sees a guy with TroysusHair (TM) but he’s wearing some kind of breathing mask.

I’ve told him he needs to get a picture with his cell phone but he has yet to figure out that standing still while taking the photo works better than snapping while jogging.

2. Sooska
    August 4, 2010 10:31 am

DUH. It is ALL calculated to create sympathy, appear heartfelt, contrite and vulnerable in order to regain his lost games, and jump start sales of his merchandise. Totally scripted BS. PUH-leeze. OF COURSE it’s PR.

3. Legallypgh(Kathy)
    August 4, 2010 10:42 am

Sorry, my favorite part of the Jeff Reed article is where he says that “..life is unfair…” after he is given $2.8 MILLION to KICK A BALL. Yeah Jeff, Life is really UNFAIR. Tell that to all the people whose relatives just died from cancer, or whose kids are battling a life threatening disease, or who just lost their jobs…Boo Hoo..LIFE IS SO UNFAIR. Ugh. I just can’t stand it. Then he went on television and rather than somehow attempting to correc those quotes from the paper, he BACKED THEM UP! If I did that, my ass would be fired SO FAST…why he is still with the Steelers organization, I just don’t know.

Hopefully Ginny, that is just a little bit of what you might have wanted to say…

4. spoon
    August 4, 2010 10:45 am

Hey Troy and I are like brothers!

For a couple Saturdays I’m leaving behind a 17mo old son and a pregnant wife to capture a dream I have had since childhood… I’m representing a hometown brewery at upcoming beer festivals.

He got the hair, I got the looks but we both love our mama

5. Pensgirl
    August 4, 2010 10:46 am

The Steelers are apparently a big deal all over South America too. My dad travels there pretty regularly for his job – mainly in Peru, Chile, and Brazil – and he has seen people who are clearly natives wearing Steeler jerseys and has also had this conversation:

Chilean/Peruvian/Brazilian person: “So what part of America are you from?”

Dad: “Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.”

Chilean/Peruvian/Brazilian person: “STEELERS!!!”

6. Pa-pop
    August 4, 2010 10:53 am

The photo of Skippy that accompanied the PG article has “Foul Dwarf” written all over it it, doesn’t it? If he was sulking about only making $2.8M this year, then he should have been led to a room filled with paper towel dispensers to make himself feel better. Hey, Skip: Try being an unemployment statistic like me. As for Ben, I was disappointed to read on Saturday that he was “praying [to] get a warm reception.” There are far more important things to pray for.

7. Andy Van Slick
    August 4, 2010 11:17 am

Isn’t “less talky, more do-y” what got Ben in this predicament to begin with?!?

8. Brighton Heights Jim
    August 4, 2010 11:29 am

I saw the cheering-Ben-entrance on the news. I’m not so sure they were cheering for Ben, rather they were cheering for the TEAM that was coming out of the locker room WITH Ben!

9. CrashJK
    August 4, 2010 11:35 am

Good to know that since Troyus’s knee doesn’t work, his junk does…ymmv….

10. Al Lambrini
    August 4, 2010 11:40 am

what an *ss I cannnot bleieve how dumb some yunzers are to buy ino this schlock.

11. Nicole T.
    August 4, 2010 12:38 pm

When I was recently in Mexico whenever my boyfriend and I would say we were from Pittsburgh we’d always get the, “I LOVE THE STEELERS” talk and sometimes even flash something steelers they had on them / in their shop / in their cab. We were taken so off gaurd by this!

12. 7000th Nerd Girl
    August 4, 2010 12:40 pm

“OK, kid, run that way. Don’t mind the giant dog. He just wants to play.”

13. Dana
    August 4, 2010 12:56 pm

The Steelers are to Mexico what the Penguins are to Canada. When I tell guys I’m from Pittsburgh, they’re all over me. It’s my best pickup line.

14. PK
    August 4, 2010 1:38 pm

Skippy needs to hire Ben’s PR person…first to tell him to keep his mouth shut, and second to smile, not pout, when facing a camera. Third, keep his mouth shut.

Odds are still high that Ben will be booed the first time he jogs onto Heinz Field. No surprise that the rabid Stillerz fans cheered him at training camp.

15. toni
    August 4, 2010 2:07 pm

Look you foul mouthed alcoholic dwarf you would have possibly gotten the long term deal if Willie Colon hadn’t gone down with an achilles heel and lost for the season.

Management didn’t lie to you in January…in January Willie Colon was healthy and starting.

But that’s ok Jeffy, we all know it’s more important you get your money than the teams gets a winning season.

Your long term contract went out the window when they had to sign Flozell. Maybe if you stayed out of the bars, kept your cellphone cam and boybits in your pants more, and quit being such a towel dispenser beater upping idiot you might have had the contract signed before Willie had gone down.

16. Julia
    August 4, 2010 2:09 pm

I cannot wait to see Troy back on the field this season. If anyone falls on his knee and injures it again this year, I will find that person and pummel them.

17. Dan (Not Onarato)
    August 4, 2010 2:25 pm

Hey Ben….I know yinzers…yinzers are friends of mine….and you “sir” aint no yinzer….cut the crap ya jag!

18. Leslie in Dayton
    August 4, 2010 2:46 pm

Well. Skippy sure thinks he’s all that and a bag of chips. I liked when he said “To get my business out in the media, out in public, is not the best way to portray yourself.” I wonder if he knows that should include photos of Little Skippy, beatings of paper towel dispensers, and other drunken adventures?

19. WI Pitt Fan
    August 4, 2010 3:20 pm

Jeff will be making $2.8 million this year to kick the football for us.

That is a 2 and an 8 followed by 5 zeroes. That is a lot of money to kick a football. Forget his sluts- in my opinion, Jeff Reed is a slut. Really……

20. Anna~
    August 4, 2010 5:22 pm

Jeff Reed — exactly what is he wearing in that photo? Put a babushka on his head and a shawl over those epaulets, and he’d rival any Sah Side StadaBaba. Or is it a kilt he’s rocking? And the expression on his face – “Foul Dwarf” indeed !!

21. empirechick
    August 4, 2010 6:45 pm

Am I the only one who noticed that Ben made his grand entrance to the field with HINES WARD?? Ain’t nobody gonna boo Hines. More calculated PR.

And that whole yinzer comment was disgusting. He HATES Pittsburgh, always has. We’re the backwater loser little people he has to tolerate to rake in his millions.

22. Jackie
    August 4, 2010 8:01 pm

When will people get that “yinzer” is a negative thing? It’s a pejorative that non-natives use to describe natives. People who’ve moved to Pittsburgh mistakenly adopt it like it’s a good thing. It’s NOT! It’s bad and has wayyyyyy negative connotations. The proper term is Pittsburgher. It’s really not that hard.

23. H
    August 4, 2010 9:30 pm

@ Jackie
    I’ve lived in Pittsburgh since I was 5 years old and have never heard anyone say that they thought the term “yinzer” was a negative thing.

24. H
    August 4, 2010 9:34 pm

@ empirechick
    Um, both Ben and Hines said that it was Hines’ idea to walk out with Ben.

25. SportyGal85
    August 4, 2010 9:38 pm

(Sigh) at Ben being a “yinzer.” I just want to know who wrote that gem for him…

@empirechick: Exactly. He came out with Hines, of course they cheered. Hines is a manwhore, but he’s never been accused of raping anyone and people love him in spite of it.

26. Jackie
    August 4, 2010 9:59 pm

@H– and I lived in Pittsburgh all my life, up until a month ago exactly. I only ever heard “Yinzer” used in a very negative way growing up– for instance, by classmates and faculty at CMU expressing frustration and/ or patronizing locals– up until the past few years. Then it’s been almost always transplants using it.

27. H
    August 4, 2010 10:47 pm

@ Jackie
    CMU, eh? So then you hang out with nerds who think they’re better than everyone else anyone, so I’m going say that doesn’t count.

28. Jackie
    August 4, 2010 11:03 pm

@H– Wow, you’re just as judgmental as they are. Good job!

29. Kathy
    August 5, 2010 1:23 am

Ginny – You slay me. You have such a way with words.

@#7 Andy — funniest comment ever! or at least of this post.

30. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    August 5, 2010 9:38 am

Yinzer has both positive and negative connotations and I think it really depends on the context, audience and people making the statement. I know people at all education levels who embrace it and those who hate it. Honestly though, who cares?

31. Laura
    August 10, 2010 12:19 pm

You know regardless of what Ben has done in the past, I should not feel sorry for him but for some reason I almost do. I guess it’s because I’m a 44 year old divorced woman that has been through so much myself that I’m just not too quick to judge because I have been judged so much myself and have found out how unfair that life is.

I just hope that Ben stays humble and does not forget the Nevada and Georgia Incidents and does nothing else serious to get into trouble for because if and when there is a next time I don’t think the Pittsburgh Steelers Organization and Fans are going to take another accusation.

Maybe through counseling Ben will get the help he needs, but first and foremost he needs GOD! I’m praying for Ben daily. I hope you will also because I think he’s treading on Very Thin Ice!