I’m baaaaa-aack. And fat. Back fat.

I am back from my vacation in Ocean Isle, NC where I loved every minute I spent with my sisters and family, and where I ate like I had a tapeworm. In fact, I’m hoping I have a tapeworm, otherwise, instead of eating to feed my worm, I’m just a fat-ass glutton with the willpower of a Graboid. Actually, strike that. A Graboid would have been all, “Gosh. I just can’t eat another bite,” whereas I was all, “Smores pie? [inhale] [burp].”

I spent my vacation reading on my newly acquired Kindle, and am now addicted to the hilarious writings of one P.G. Wodehouse. I’ve read enough of him that I found myself almost saying “Dash it!” the other day. Right ho.

I checked my email only sporadically and I didn’t turn my cell phone on once. Of course, Saucy is so old that when I do turn her on she’s all, “NOT TONIGHT! I HAVE A HEADACHE!”

I was so disconnected from the  world that I have a lot to catch up on, such as the Steelers, the Pir[vomit]ates, and more.

In the meantime, if you haven’t yet made a decision as to whether or not to support the event at the Priory to raise funds for Tassy’s surgery, this might help. Poor kid.

YouTube Preview Image

Hope to see you there. I’ll be flying solo that night, well, me and my tapeworm, that is. So be sure to find me (and my tapeworm) so I (we) don’t feel so lonely.

I think I’ll name my tapeworm Grabby.

Also, do not do a Google Image search for tapeworm. Trust me.

1. tw
    August 23, 2010 9:49 am

Ginny that is so weird that you went to Ocean Isle. We used to go there for years and nobody knew what we were talking about. Now we go to Oak Island which is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Ocean Isle. Both beaches are very family friendly (albeit a little boring in Oak Island). And I believe Cowher lives very close to Oak Island but I’ve never gotten close enough (guess it’s a tad secluded). Hope you had a relaxing time.

btw…totally related to your vacation preparations…and if your hubby is anything like mine he gets ready in 20 min. while I take an entire week to pack the rest of the family. :P

2. tw
    August 23, 2010 10:00 am

p.s. Next time you’re down there Ginny you should try out Umberto’s Pittsburgh restaurant near Mrytle. It is supposedly a fabulous restaurant owned by a ‘burgher with Pittsburgh themes throughout.

August 23, 2010 10:09 am

I love you, Gin, but dash it: People who look as hot as you do insult people with real, serious weight issues when you talk like that. What are you, size 6, 8? It’s akin to starletards who complain about how tough it is to be beautiful.

Welcome back anyway, beeatch.

4. PG Wodehouse
    August 23, 2010 10:09 am

Favorite PG quotes:

If he had two ounces more brain, just two ounces, the poor sod, he’d be half witted.

The French are such asses, why can’t they just speak English.

5. PG Wodehouse
    August 23, 2010 10:11 am

Have you read Do Butlers Burgle Banks yet?

6. Mama Moose
    August 23, 2010 10:22 am

Can’t be there tonight, but just donated not-enought-money through the website. Have a great time, and guilt people out of lots of money.

7. Suburban Nor'Side Girl
    August 23, 2010 10:34 am

SO glad you’re back, I was going through Ginny withdrawal. PG Wodehouse is excellent.

8. Monty
    August 23, 2010 10:58 am

Welcome back. You missed a fascinating discussion about the definitional parameters of a “fact” and the impact that “sticking to” and/or “dealing in” said facts has on our collective worth as human beings in a world filled with uncertainty, intolerance and greed.

It is a testament to you, as a person, that we’re all a little dumber than we were before you left.

9. bluzdude
    August 23, 2010 11:17 am

You can lose the pounds, but you’ll always have the memories! Welcome back.

10. Ms Redd
    August 23, 2010 11:18 am

So glad you are back, Ginny.

11. spoon
    August 23, 2010 11:33 am

I love Gin also. more specifically Hendricks

12. Baba Wawa
    August 23, 2010 11:35 am

did you bring us any taffy back?

13. Cathy
    August 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Glad you had a wonderful time, Glad your back — Where is my Taffy?

14. Bill from Hanover
    August 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Oak Island …. We go there every Year !

The Cowhers have a place on Bald Head Island.

If you get over to Southport, you can catch a ferry across and also you have got to try the Provision Company for dinner, awesome !

15. tw
    August 23, 2010 1:05 pm

“Bill”…been to Provisions (closet i came to Bald Head) which is wonderful, however the first time we went at the wrong time and waited over an hour to be seated…not bad for adults with the drink while you wait deal, however our 2 yr olds didn’t appreciate it. All the following times were great.

btw…have you ever dined at the San Jose Mexican restaurant right on Oak Island? Tried it this year…wonderful (good prices too). Plus lots of TV’s. I hear they make great margaritas, but we were heading back home (9hr drive) and had to pass. :(

16. tw
    August 23, 2010 1:06 pm

sorry, meant “closest”

17. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    August 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Welcome back Ginny!

Did someone say gin? @spoon — Hendrick’s is such an amazing gin! I got four bottles for Christmas last year (each from a different person) and a couple of them felt bad, despite me reassuring them it is very ok to get duplicate gifts when it comes to alcohol — especially good alcohol!

18. John in the Rocks
    August 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Ginny, I highly recommend you pick up “Jeeves and Wooster” on DVD (starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry). If you enjoy the readings of Wodehouse, you’ll love the adaptations of this stories to the small screen. Right ho, Jeeves!

19. CrashJK
    August 23, 2010 2:20 pm

While you were gone…Max “Superstar” Talbot and Mike (big pickup truck) Rupp went to Haite to bring gifts to some orphans…hockey to Haite ! Woot for the Penguins !

20. Stephen
    August 23, 2010 2:37 pm

I wrote a column about the genius of Wodehouse a few years ago: http://www.americanlament.com/2007/07/11/very-good-sir

I recommend not reading too much Wodehouse at once. Spread it out and you will appreciate it much more. They’re fast reads so it’s tempting to devour it all at once.

I second the TV series. The last season was iffy–they used non-Wodehouse storylines–but it otherwise very high quality. It’s also fun to see Hugh Laurie be very un-House-like.

21. PG Wodehouse
    August 23, 2010 4:08 pm

@ Stephen – nice article. A couple minor quibbles. Wodehouse was once named England’s greatest living writer (a title also bestowed on JK Rowling). Of course he was also referred to as the performing flea of the English literary world.

As for his war broadcasts, they were an attempt to reach his fans and tell them what had happened in his life. The five broadcasts were telling of his life from the time the Germans put him in a detainment camp for non combatant men. He told it in typical Wodehouse/English stiff upper lip style. His problem came from the fact that he was released shortly after the broadcasts. Owing to the fact that he had reached 60 years of age, not because he gave succor to the enemy.

22. Pa-pop
    August 23, 2010 4:28 pm

I really thought the “Really?” thread would still be going when ya got back. Missed it by four days. Welcome back. Ocean Isle is a great place.

23. Butcher's Dog
    August 23, 2010 8:16 pm

OK. Enough about Wodehouse. Enough about the pound(s) you gained while away. Seagulls! We want to hear about the seagulls! They’re the pigeons of the shore, so we want to know. Did you see any? Did they shit on you/yours? And, of course, when do you post a hottie to compensate for the week we had to look at Daniel?

24. Lindsay
    August 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Dear God, I just google imaged “tapeworm”. You can’t tell someone not to do something because then of course we will. Regret regret regret…

25. mis
    August 23, 2010 11:26 pm

There are lots of free books you can get on your kindle and it even comes in handy when you are sick and your kid comes home all “Mom – I sort of forgot to tell you that I was supposed to read Kira Kira and I have a book report in 2 days…”