Hitchcock’s muse.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, this picture is worth the word EFF! written one thousand times.

(photo by Jonathan Wander, in between fits of hysterical laughter)

That bird is totally all up in my face. I wonder if it had a problem with my shirt maybe?

Go see the behind the scenes pictures of my visit to the Aviary and then go read all about my visit.

The point is, ‘Burghers, as a general rule, I hate birds. So when the National Aviary, located right here in Pittsburgh, e-mailed me about touring its facility, my immediate gut reaction was, “Voluntarily enter an enclosed space with a whole bunch of birds? LOL. Delete.”

But I’m always looking for things to write about and figured hanging out with birds was sure to be entertaining in a “Mom, I think that screaming lady peed her pants” kind of way.

Good news! I didn’t pee my pants. Much.

1. DG
    August 27, 2010 2:25 pm

You seriously do not look like a happy girl.

2. Sooska
    August 27, 2010 2:28 pm

I do not GENERALLY hate birds but I am leery and do not like to be close to them. I do hate pigeosn and sea gulls. On the whoel I like to look at pretty birds form a distance. When my kids were little we went to the aviary and all went well until we were exiting the bird area over a bridge above a small stream. I didn’t realize the birds were loose and one huge menacing bird about the size of a pituitarily-challenged Canada goose (HUGE I tell you,) only all bright and tropical, blocked our exit, squawking, threatening with open beak and and and…so my husband picked up the kids and ran the gauntlet to safety, marched back with all his feathers fluffed out to show that bad ass bird who’s boss, and then had to run interference to allow me to escape. The bird lunged at him and he fended it off with a flourish and would have taken it out if we weren’t in the Natl Aviary. first and last and only visit.

3. Marcy
    August 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Oh lord, Ginny, that’s terrifying!

4. Deby
    August 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Wow…where to start? I am NOT a bird fan, either but, like Sooska, I like to admire wild birds. And, creepily, I am fascinated by vultures. But I’d like to share with you my bestest bird story: A couple of summers ago, when my now-4-year-old was 2 (and as full of fire then as now), a friend and I took my children (my son – ever an angel – was 9 at the time) to the Oglebay Park (WV)Good Zoo. I cannot remember the precise name of the birds in question – kin to budgerigars and parakeets, though – but there was a large, chicken-wire encased pen, a habitat for the birds, and you could wander among them and they even perched on you. You could also buy them a sugar-water “shot” that cost more than top-shelf tequila, but I’m off subject. Anyway, prior to us leaving, my heart-mom (this is what I call her; my birth-mom died many years ago) and my children’s Mimi gave the kids some snacks and drinks for the trip. Among the snacks were those cereal straw things, Froot-Loop-flavored. I was coaxing the birds to come to me so that my kids could see them up close, when I noticed that my toddler had been crumbling up some yellow cereal straws and FEEDING THEM TO THE BIRDS. We beat it out of there, and once we were out of earshot, I said to my friend: “Oh, God. I can see the headline on the news now: ‘Mysterious Bird Death at Oglebay’s Good Zoo. Film at 11.'” He said, “Yeah. And the details will probably bee something like, ‘The birds mysteriously pooped yellow poop just before exploding.'”

5. Gina
    August 27, 2010 10:15 pm

That photo is awesome x infinity

6. Colleen
    August 27, 2010 11:24 pm

I’m with you on birds but, have figured it out (as if you haven’t). It’s totally a control thing. Your comment about them being all unpredictable and up in your face comment made me realize that that’s exactly what it is….a control thing…anywho, proud of ya for visiting the place and tolerating the birds in your face! And penguins aren’t really birds, are they? AND pigeons really are rats with wings and are disgusting…

August 28, 2010 1:04 am

bucdaddy approves of the shrink-wrapped T-shirt (see the previous post with the tennis players).

8. Heather
    August 28, 2010 4:48 pm

I’m in love with that picture! It brought a much needed belly laugh!

9. NMSteve
    August 29, 2010 11:26 pm

I was riding with my kids along the panther Hollow bike trail a couple of summers ago. We were headed to the museum and were just about to turn up the ultra steep Joncaire St. As we were approaching the stop sign at the bottle of the hill we noticed 4 turkeys in the middle of the road. I was about to stop when I noticed a bicyclist who was backing away from them holding his precious road bike in the air. The turkeys then proceeded to attack the bicycle and force the bicyclist of the road.

Fortunately for our little bicycle gang we did not stop, and zipped right on past.

Valuable lesson learned, do not stop to look at Turkeys, especially if you are wearing expensive bicycling shoes that you can not run in. I have always wondered if that guy got away with his bike.