Requiem for Dad

Veteran free agent winger Bill Guerin said by text message today that Penguins general manager Ray Shero has informed him the club has decided not to attempt to re-sign him for the 2010-11 season.

I haz a sad.

I understand the decision, but still, sad.

I can pretty much guarantee you that after his playing days are over, Billy Guerin is going to be a world-class NHL coach. As I wrote:

Player most likely to become an NHL coach? That’s easily Billy Guerin who spent more time instructing players on when to enter the ice than Bylsma did.  He’s the one player that looked like both a player and a coach at all times — watching the ice like he was memorizing everything.  Love him.

And I always will.

Unless he becomes a Flyer, then may God have mercy on his soul.

1. L-A
    August 27, 2010 8:49 am

boo…we’ll miss you, billy guerin.

2. Beatrice
    August 27, 2010 8:50 am

I was so sad to read this too. I understand the whole salary cap and stuff, but, I’ll really miss watching him in on our ice.

3. Beatrice
    August 27, 2010 8:51 am

I love that picture you posted too. :)

4. bluzdude
    August 27, 2010 9:11 am

Guerin had a huge impact on the Pens. I’m sure Sid was taking notes on how to be an effective veteran leader. I’m sad to see him go.

5. CrashJK
    August 27, 2010 9:16 am

I will miss Billy G – he was a great bench/locker room mentor to Sid. I still remember in ’09 when Sid had the cup, who did he hand it too next…BILLY GUERIN. Whoever signs him up this season…you have a stellar leader and wise man on your bench. Wish you well Billy, thanks for the memories. And if you become a Flyer, so be it, I do boo and I’m not a hater of pure talent and dedicated players.

Heck, I still like watching Recchi stating for the Bruins.

6. Scott
    August 27, 2010 9:20 am

It was Billy Guerin who handed me the Stanley Cup at Steelhead Bar at the Marriot the day after they won the cup. Took pictures with me…let me hold it in my own hands. One of my greatest sports memories.

Thanks Billy…

7. VAgirl
    August 27, 2010 9:26 am

One of my favs, and it is soooo sad to see him go. Yes he is a leader and for us old chicks something nice to look at that isn’t jailbate!

8. DG
    August 27, 2010 9:39 am

I was really hoping they would find a way to keep him. Thanks for everything, Billy!

9. Izzy
    August 27, 2010 9:47 am

Hallelujah, VAgirl! We’ll miss you Billy!

10. Summer
    August 27, 2010 10:00 am

Ugh. Don’t even suggest Billy G might go to the Flyers. The hockey gods might hear you.

And, yeah, also bummed we won’t have him this year. I don’t care if he’s pushing 40, he had heart, grit and wisdom.

11. cmd_45
    August 27, 2010 10:49 am

Boo. That guy gave the team great stability and leadership. I will miss watching him play for the Pens.

12. Sara
    August 27, 2010 10:54 am

This is a travesty!! OK, not a travesty maybe, but I will really miss Billy G. He is my fave, and smokin’ hot to boot! Here’s hoping he goes on to have a stellar career coaching, and maybe his time in the Burgh is not over yet.

13. PA Girl in VA
    August 27, 2010 11:15 am

A sad, sad day for me. I’m so in love with Guerin (and like the way he plays, too!). Couldn’t they have left Aaron “ASS”ham in Philly and kept Guerin???

14. No One On Here Knows Hockey
    August 27, 2010 11:24 am

Asham provides much needed grit with a scoring touch too. Guerin looked beyond old at the end of last season.

I’ll always like Billy G too, but we do not need him anymore.

15. kevin
    August 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Billy Guerin has nothing to apologize for, he played well for a long, long time and provided the Pens with leadership, class, and the guy could play some too. I do agree with the previous post though, the past few months and the playoffs, he just couldn’t keep up. Hell I’m 52, he’d skate circles around me, but his time has come, just reality. Class personified, but father time doesn’t really care does he? Thanks Billy, your a class act and I hope you and your familychoose to stay in the ‘burgh. I too think coaching is in your future.

16. MadMadMad
    August 27, 2010 12:40 pm

So he only wants to play for one more season, right? Why can’t Crosby shuffle a couple of his bazillions of dollars to Guerin for this one, last year? As long as the Pens don’t go over the cap, they’re fine, right?

17. Lauren
    August 27, 2010 1:26 pm

@MadMadMad There is no salary restructuring in the NHL salary cap the way there is in football. So even if Sid wanted to, he couldn’t give any of his money to Guerin.

P.S. Malkin makes the same amount as Sid, so to call Sid out for how much he makes is a little silly, especially when Pixie Briere makes $10 million/year with the Flyers.

18. Scott
    August 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Side note to my Stanley Cup/Bill Guerin story above, when I spent my glorious few minutes with him and the Cup, he smelled as though pure booze was pumping through his veins…hadn’t been to sleep since returning from Detroit in the wee hours of that morning and was still chugging beer at noon the following day. I’m not sure I’ve ever smelled anyone quite that pickled….in a great way, of course.

19. redram1
    August 27, 2010 1:51 pm

Hey, it’s an even trade!
    We lose AliMo and you lose Billy G.
    Fair is fair!

20. MadMadMad
    August 27, 2010 3:27 pm

I think Crosby and Malkin are both worth the zillions they make (i.e., I was raised in a Pensfan family that liked hockey before it was cool) – I wasn’t picking on Crosby specifically. If it were possible to shift the $$, they could split it down the middle!

21. PA Girl in VA
    August 27, 2010 3:33 pm

@No One On Here Knows Hockey: Um, I know and understand all that. My question was rhetorical. Thanks anyway.

22. Johnaz6312
    August 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Billy was a good leader and still at age 40 a great player. This may be Shero’s one mistake.He’ll be missed. I hope Billy reads this blog!!!

23. Pingback: That's Church » Vomit. City.