Random n’at

1. Last night, I did drills with the Munhall Volunteer Fire Station #4 and I will be writing more about that experience for Pittsburgh Magazine, but in the meantime, here’s me using … THE JAWS OF LIFE … to help remove a car door.

I can’t wait to share more pictures with you and the story of some of Pittsburgh’s unsung heroes.

For now, go donate a few bucks to your local volunteer fire department, will ya?

2.  Here’s Troysus’ new Head n’ Shoulders commercial. Hilarious. It also gives you an idea of what happens to my hair on a humid day.

YouTube Preview Image

3. City of Asylum/Pittsburgh on the North Side, which provides sanctuary for exiled writers from other countries, will be hosting a free Jazz Poetry Concert on Sampsonia Way on September 11 from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

There will have 17 jazz musicians, including Oliver Lake and 5 poets, including Yusef Komuyakaa, from around the world. There is a free dance party afterwards with DJ Soy Sauce.

But the best part, for me at least? The event’s host?

[angels singing]

4. Where has Burgher Jim Shearer been all my life?! He wasn’t even on my radar and then reader Jay wrote me all, “PLEASE CHECK HIM OUT!” and I did and I watched his Preseason Show and watched him iron his Terrible Towel and watched him trying to explain to children why Ben Roethlisberger got suspended and I fell in love with him.

And who knew he was an MTV2 VJ and the host of VH1 Countdown!?

Check out past episodes of Yinz Luv Da Stillers and Yinz Luv Da Guins on YouTube. I particularly loved him on the psychiatrist’s couch after Sid scored the gold medal goal.

I’m a fan now.

One question. Where is Yinz Luv Da Buccos?

LOL. That would be the most depressing show ever. I’d shoot myself in the face if I was host of a show called Yinz Luv Da Buccos.

5. Burgher Justin Kownacki is preparing to launch a new web-series, this a spin off from his previous series Something to be Desired. You can support Justin over at Kickstarter where you’ll learn more about the new show, Baristas, and how by donating to the launch, you can earn votes on casting the show or even have a show character named after you.

Check it out! He’s promising “more chicks!”

6. Pigeons killed a guy. NO REALLY. THEY KILLED A GUY.

(h/t Carole)

1. Woy
    September 2, 2010 11:05 am

Not only is Justin a Burgher, he’s an Erieite. That’s the equivalent of holding four national citizenships simultaneously!

Seriously – Justin is a great guy and if you want to see a funny, engaging web series – please contribute to his kickstart campaign!

2. DebbieS
    September 2, 2010 11:13 am

Hey how about the shout out last night from 10 year old opera singer on America’s Got Talent….

She love’s Pittsburgh….who doesn’t?

3. Natalie
    September 2, 2010 11:19 am

Aw you were kicking it with my local fire dept… hope you they taught you some great stuff… i’m glad to have those guys up the road looking out for me and the community… even if they do have the loudest fire siren ever… :)

4. Noelle
    September 2, 2010 11:45 am

I’m confused, what is the first photo? The guy with the sunflowers? It doesn’t seem to correspond to any text.

5. Virginia
    September 2, 2010 11:53 am

Noelle, click on the link in number 5. ;)

6. Noelle
    September 2, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks Ginny.

7. Jocelyn
    September 2, 2010 12:19 pm

Ooh! I knew Jim Shearer was from Pittsburgh. Kind of. We had VH1 on the TV one day (probably because Rock of Love was on earlier, but whatever), and he signed off from the countdown with “See yinz guys later.” My husband said “Did you hear that? Do you think he’s from Pittsburgh?” We decided he had to be from here.

8. spoon
    September 2, 2010 12:41 pm

Justin is a nice boy. Please give so he quits sleeping on my couch and can get started with this series

9. Ms Redd
    September 2, 2010 4:09 pm

Ginny- that shade of lipstick you are wearing goes great with the rescue gear!!

10. Virginia
    September 2, 2010 4:11 pm

Ms Redd,

Oh, there is no lipstick there. By that time the picture was taken, I had been in a firefighting suit for three hours and every drop of makeup had melted off. ;)

11. jann
    September 2, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks so much or sharing the info on Justin. I checked out his videos and forwarded them to all my out of town Stiller fans.

12. jann
    September 2, 2010 6:42 pm

Oops – I mean Jim (Shearer).
    Off to check out Justin now…

13. Katie
    September 2, 2010 8:01 pm

My (now) husband donated money back to “something to be desired” in 2007 and they filmed part of the season four finale at our reception. BEST RECEPTION VIDEO EVER!!!

14. beebewitz
    September 3, 2010 10:46 pm

Go Ginny! Nice plug for the volunteers! Great to see you in turnout gear . . . hope it encourages others to try it out :-)

15. MizFit
    September 5, 2010 12:56 pm

GIRL I am SO glad to have finally found you.
    Life long Yinzer currently living in Texas (kinda to my chagrin but thats a blog post not a comment).

My parents still live in PGH…Ill have to send them your way as well.

Carla

16. MizFit
    September 5, 2010 12:57 pm

oh and you know I saw the title of your blog and thought PREACH :)

17. Joe
    September 5, 2010 4:42 pm

I have been watching Jim Shearer for quite a while now. He is great! I think now that you have found him he will have no problem getting his 1500 views a week win or lose. You have that effect about things, kinda like Oprah.

On another topic. OMG. Just watched Orphan today. Did you see what she did to that Pigeon?

I will see Yinz, Later.

P.s. Also didn’t know he was on VH1. Cool.

18. Pingback: That's Church » Random n’at