1. Last night, I did drills with the Munhall Volunteer Fire Station #4 and I will be writing more about that experience for Pittsburgh Magazine, but in the meantime, here’s me using … THE JAWS OF LIFE … to help remove a car door.
I can’t wait to share more pictures with you and the story of some of Pittsburgh’s unsung heroes.
For now, go donate a few bucks to your local volunteer fire department, will ya?
2. Here’s Troysus’ new Head n’ Shoulders commercial. Hilarious. It also gives you an idea of what happens to my hair on a humid day.
3. City of Asylum/Pittsburgh on the North Side, which provides sanctuary for exiled writers from other countries, will be hosting a free Jazz Poetry Concert on Sampsonia Way on September 11 from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
There will have 17 jazz musicians, including Oliver Lake and 5 poets, including Yusef Komuyakaa, from around the world. There is a free dance party afterwards with DJ Soy Sauce.
But the best part, for me at least? The event’s host?
4. Where has Burgher Jim Shearer been all my life?! He wasn’t even on my radar and then reader Jay wrote me all, “PLEASE CHECK HIM OUT!” and I did and I watched his Preseason Show and watched him iron his Terrible Towel and watched him trying to explain to children why Ben Roethlisberger got suspended and I fell in love with him.
And who knew he was an MTV2 VJ and the host of VH1 Countdown!?
Check out past episodes of Yinz Luv Da Stillers and Yinz Luv Da Guins on YouTube. I particularly loved him on the psychiatrist’s couch after Sid scored the gold medal goal.
I’m a fan now.
One question. Where is Yinz Luv Da Buccos?
LOL. That would be the most depressing show ever. I’d shoot myself in the face if I was host of a show called Yinz Luv Da Buccos.
5. Burgher Justin Kownacki is preparing to launch a new web-series, this a spin off from his previous series Something to be Desired. You can support Justin over at Kickstarter where you’ll learn more about the new show, Baristas, and how by donating to the launch, you can earn votes on casting the show or even have a show character named after you.
Check it out! He’s promising “more chicks!”
6. Pigeons killed a guy. NO REALLY. THEY KILLED A GUY.