Margin of error: +-50%

Gotta love the Trib.

Check out this headline:

Oh, noes! I thought the economy was on the upswing a bit? I thought we were getting past those days?!

And here the Trib is telling me that they have determined with enough certainty to use that headline in print, that the ECONOMY is to blame for the poor Labor Day parade spectator turnout in Pittsburgh.  The ECONOMY!

I wonder how they determined that. I assumed they surveyed a whole bunch of people who didn’t go to the parade and asked them, “Why aren’t you at the parade?” and those people for the most part said, “OMG. THE ECONOMY!”

Let’s see how the Trib actually came to this conclusion:

“There’s a lot of unemployment right now,” said Dan Gilman, 29, of Fox Chapel, who watched the parade pass on the Boulevard of the Allies with his wife and two young children. “If the economy were booming, everybody would be out here celebrating. But a lot of people are disenchanted.”

ONE GUY. They asked one guy and that guy said the economy and the Trib apparently thinks Dan Gilman of Fox Chapel is a big enough of a sample size to determine that yes, THE ECONOMY is to blame for the poor turnout.

Golf clap, Trib. Golf. Clap.

My next column for Pittsburgh Magazine is going to be entitled “PittGirl determined to be the best blogger in the whole world” and then I’ll quote MY MOM.

1. Scott
    September 7, 2010 10:09 am

Not surprising considering the Trib is owned by one of the most right wing wackos to ever come down the pike. They’re one step removed from Fox News….

2. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 10:09 am

uhhhhh…..cuz the unions have made EVERY business move offshore?

(except of course repaving highways, but Dan Onorato is still getting a grip on that concept!)

September 7, 2010 10:09 am

I think it was Newsweek that pioneered the 3 random Americans = all of us style of reporting, where they take someone in California and someone in Michigan and someone in Florida who all fit the story they want to tell and then throw in a survey (“56 percent of Americans say …”) and turn it into a trend.

The Trib has narrowed that down to one source, probably doesn’t have the money or resources to find three, given the state of, you know, the economy.

And just to throw this in: A lot of people out of work with nothing much to do + looking for cheap or free entertainment = FEWER people at a parade?

4. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 10:10 am

@Scott-

France wants you.

5. Bob M
    September 7, 2010 10:13 am

Your Mom is always right.

If you need a non-relative quote, “PittGirl/Virginia/Pigeon-Bane is unquestionably the best blogger in the whole world.”

Regarding the Trib article, unfortunately, this is what passes for journalism these days.

6. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 10:16 am

Exactly when did the definition of “liberal” change from open-minded thinking to:

a pack of lock-step, idiot-sheep, led by other uneducated, close-minded, hypocritical, idiot sheep???

7. CrashJK
    September 7, 2010 10:21 am

Way do we continue to celebrate a holiday based on Union Labor ? It’s 2010, there’s less than 13% of the US work force is unions ? Call it “End of Summer” holiday – fine, but to continue to recognize the organized thugs that destroyed US manufacturing ?

8. Just A Simple Man
    September 7, 2010 10:41 am

Not a “union” person here i.e I’m not in one nor do i work around or with one, but..

Corporate greed has moved manufacturing off shore or overseas. It is easy to blame the labor unions but in the long run the drive to satisfy the shareholders and the nearsightedness that cheaper labor and not technology improvements were the way to go is the true culprit. A great case study is the furniture industry in the US over the last 10 years.
    Also the American publics “WalMart” mentality of; it can be bought cheaper, doesn’t help either. If their prices are always rolling-back don’t you think something would be free by now?

September 7, 2010 11:15 am

I’m no fan of unions, but …

My FiL was not a rich man by any stretch. He worked the coal mines for 35 years and was a staunch UMWA and Democrat supporter. As I watched my wife help my MiL deal with him and his myriad pains and illnesses the past few years up until he died a few weeks ago, at age 79, I was amazed at his union benefits. He probably kept several pharmaceutical companies in the black. Mrs. Daddy would come out of the drug store literally with a shopping bag for all his prescriptions. He paid a $50 deductible, which he annually used up about Jan. 3, and the rest of the year was free.

He got a decent pension, which has now passed down to my MiL. The UMW helped pay to bury him.

I am impressed.

I don’t like thugs and goons in any walk of life, and granted, there are thugs and goons in unions, just like there are thugs and goons on, say, your local police force. But I guess it’s like with lawyers and doctors: They’re all cheats and scoundrels until you need one. Then your union might be your best friend in the world.

Just sayin’.

10. Mark
    September 7, 2010 12:07 pm

Um…I’ve lived here all my life and I never knew thier was a Labor Day parade. And I find that sad, must be the economy.

11. Carpetbagger
    September 7, 2010 12:22 pm

@ Beau Jacques

lock-step… idiot-sheep… uneducated… close-minded… hypocritical… idiot sheep(again)

You sure you’re talking about liberals? And aren’t you French? Mon Dieu!

12. Alyson
    September 7, 2010 12:47 pm

I had the same thought when I read that headline…how possibly did they draw that conclusion…How about most people don’t know there is even a Labor Day parade. I was always too busy not-laboring to notice :)

13. Ian
    September 7, 2010 1:15 pm

We have a Labor Day parade?

14. Noelle
    September 7, 2010 1:30 pm

I don’t get parades. Never did. Ok, now the Superbowl and Stanley cup parades were kinda great because they involved actual players – but to watch bad music go slowly by… that I just don’t get.

15. Mike
    September 7, 2010 1:50 pm

@ bucdaddy

I could be wrong here… and I’m not pro or against in an absolute sense… But the generous pension and benefits you speak of are one of the main reasons folks get so frustrated with unions…

The “union might be your best friend in the world” if and only if your in the union. The money has got to come from somewhere, and it usually comes from the private sector.

September 7, 2010 2:50 pm

Mike@15,

And union dues.

17. sorgatron
    September 7, 2010 3:02 pm

I didn’t know we had a Labor Day parade…Maybe poor advertising?

18. Sleemo
    September 7, 2010 3:14 pm

@BeauJacques–

So, IBM offshored my completely NON-union, high-paying computer programming job because…???

19. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 3:19 pm

@Carpetbagger- VERY sure!

@Sleemo-

You can blame Dems and H-1B visas:
    2000

In April 2000 Henry Cisneros, former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, proposed that unions and immigrant communities support expansion of the H-1B program in order to get amnesty. [20] Pro immigration elements in the union heeded Cisneros’ advice and decided to support an increase of the H-1B quota. Even though the AFL-CIO was still holding to an official position that the H-1B program should not be expanded, they didn’t campaign against the massive proposed increase to 195,000.[17] “Democratic Party heavyweights tried to convince the AFL-CIO that by supporting H-1B they could achieve a much more pressing goal, namely amnesty for illegal immigrants”. [16]
    Union insiders inside the AFL-CIO made a tacit deal with President Clinton. The Faustian bargain was that the unions would remain quiet on the H-1B increase and in return Clinton would get them amnesty. They told Clinton that he could do whatever he wanted with the H-1B bill even though they knew that Clinton wanted to sign the H-1B increase in order to retain election campaign funding from the high-tech industry. The only concession the AFL-CIO won was to get some toothless worker protections added to the bill, but those protections were filled with loopholes.

The AFL-CIO kept their part of the deal but Clinton was never able to deliver them the amnesty that they wanted.

After intense lobbying by technology firms, Congress voted in October to increase the number of H-1B visas to 195,000. The Senate Oct. 3 approved legislation (S. 2045) by a vote of 96 to 1 raising the statutory cap and the House followed suit later that evening, approving the bill by voice vote. The voice vote occurred after most Members had already left the Hill. The timing of this voice vote was no accident. That evening Al Gore and George W. Bush were in a general election presidential debate. While the public and the media focused on the debate the House silently stabbed American workers in the back.

20. Bram R
    September 7, 2010 4:29 pm

That one guy is probably exactly right, but even still … it’s like the Tribune-Review thought they struck a platinum & puppy mine. Dude works for Pedutes, BTW.

21. Bram R
    September 7, 2010 4:54 pm

@BeauJacques – Immigration? REALLY? The unions are at fault for an endless southern land border, the fact that undocumented immigrants have acquired an amazing reputation for being good hard workers, and the seeming ease with which they can hired by employers all across this great Nation?

Then again, I guess labor unions are truly at fault … if it weren’t for them, there never would have been a middle class in the US and the US economy would never have zoomed so far past past Mexico. We’d all be sneaking in to Canada so we could send home Loonies to Pittsburgh.

22. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 5:16 pm

@Bram-

Sleemo was asking why he/she lost his IBM programming job,

he/she’s a victim of the H-1B “techhie” visa scam, which the AFL-CIO co-signed.

23. Carpetbagger
    September 7, 2010 5:39 pm

@ Beau Jacques

Only because I thought the Dems problems were that they NEVER lock-step together, they run off in all directions for various special interests (worst sheep ever!), they are elitist Ivy-league intellectuals, and they’re so open-minded they’ll accept anyone.

Now you’re telling me they’re in the Tea Party!

24. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 5:51 pm

@CarpetBag-

Limousine-Libs don’t lock-step together??

uhhhh…. can you say …Oprah? The View? Al Gore??

Scott & all idiots who hate Fox News and buy the mainstream media’s propaganda?

25. Erin
    September 7, 2010 7:16 pm

I have also lived here all my life and never knew there was a parade until I saw it yesterday on the news. I was busy lamenting my nine months of unemployment all day, and then decided that with so many people out of work, isn’t it kind of rude to celebrate employment?

26. Bram R
    September 7, 2010 7:36 pm

Correction to my comment #20: No relation to Pedutes (same age!)

27. Pa-pop
    September 7, 2010 8:12 pm

What did you expect from the newspaper that glossed over a gun-waving motorist in a story about a traffic jam on the Parkway? How ’bout I draw the conclusion that parade attendance was down because of fear of a potential Glock-toting West Virginian at the Grant Street exit?

28. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 8:46 pm

Moot point-

Parade attendance will become non-existent in the next year with $50 “privatized” parking
    and no public transportation.

29. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 8:56 pm

PS (to Bram)

And why the $50 parking??

and why no public transportation??

answer- outrageous unfunded city and Port Authority union pensions

30. BeauJacques
    September 7, 2010 8:56 pm

I find it very poignant that unions killed their own parade.

September 7, 2010 10:41 pm

Glock-toting West Virginian

Weren’t no REAL West Virginian lessen she was totin a muzzleloader.

32. Sooska
    September 9, 2010 10:11 am

yes indeed, unions all but killed America. Except for when management agreed to everything and lined their own pockets, too. like in the years before the 2008 failure.