Random n’at

1. I think I’m obsessed with Jim Shearer now.

I recorded VH1’s 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, just so I could watch him on my TV.

I have problems.

Big ones.

2. Okay, so apparently Head n’ Shoulders sent out locks of Troysus’ hair as a promotional thing?!

I refuse to believe this is really his hair because what’s to stop a crazed fan from trying to steal his DNA from it to clone him for herself?

Not that I’m doing that or anything.

[cough]

(h/t Charles and Michael)

3. STEELERS M&Ms!

Why do I love these so much?!

I hope M&M’s makes a commercial with their M&M 3-D characters where the Steelers M&M tackles a Ravens M&M and then spits in his face before ripping out his delicious chocolaty center and eating it raw.

Make it happen.

(h/t Cari)

4. In July, there was an explosion at the US Steel Clairton Works plant, injuring twenty and killing one. One of those severely injured was Richard Doyle, whose sister wrote me recently to let me know how he was doing and to ask Pittsburgh to continue to support him and his co-workers, writing, “They are all just regular guys, Pittsburghers to the core. They go to work every day in jeans & t-shirts & do tough and sometimes dangerous work. They are the reason why even though I live in California, I come to Pittsburgh on vacation every year, not Hawaii.”

Love that.

Richard suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on over 40% of his body. Can I say something? I’m a wuss when it comes to burns. Like, I could have a big splinter and dig it out mercilessly with a pin and not flinch, but burns? Horrible pain. I cannot fathom how much pain is involved when it’s this bad and this large of an area.

Richard has had seven surgeries already and will be having more, so his best friend is holding a fundraiser for him because that’s what friends do.

Here’s the info!

5. September 17, don’t be shocked if you see some metered parking spaces in the city turned into actual MINI-PARKS!

OMG. I love this.

And look at all the people and orgs creating parks!

6. Not only is Braddock super trendy now what with Levis on board, now you can add the IFC and the Sundance Channel to that mix as they’ve created eight episodes asking Braddock residents what they think of the attempts at renewal.

(h/t Charles!)

7. Finally, the Buccos suck. Still.

That is all.

1. Tina Fey
    September 9, 2010 10:39 am

Ginger, before you go attempting to regenerate Troy so that you can somehow make mini-Troys, I believe you need to have the root or bulb of the hair for nuclear DNA, which is the type of DNA necessary to clone him. So please don’t try. Just one of those stupid things I remember reading.

2. red pen mama
    September 9, 2010 12:18 pm

I’m pretty sure that can’t be Troy’s hair because he doesn’t cut it. This may be an urban legend I’m making up in my head, though, that as a Samoan he can’t cut his hair. Besides, didn’t they just insure it for $1 million in any case?

3. Heather
    September 9, 2010 3:20 pm

Thank you for posting #4!

4. Pa-pop
    September 9, 2010 4:16 pm

Did you know Buc m&m’s were recalled because they caused chronic choking?

5. BeauJacques
    September 9, 2010 4:21 pm

I APOLOGIZE! I APOLOGIZE! I APOLOGIZE! I APOLOGIZE!

I just checked out Market Square and it has tables and chairs and it’s fine!!

(but I think I’m going to need Woychek or CS major to show me how to use the hi-tech multi-space parking meter system!)

Also, nice to see a rub parlor on the 2nd floor above Nicholas Coffee again (good times!)

Anyone here old nuff to remember Walt Harper’s Attic? Garden On the Square? Pewter Mug?
    Men’s Bar? The Cobblestone?

I wasn’t legal to drink then, but close!

:-)

6. Denise Doyle
    September 9, 2010 5:06 pm

Thanks, Pitt Girl!for posting #4. As my sister said, my bro is a regular guy, but a typical ‘burgher; funny, irreverent, witty and tough. Thanks to everyone for their kindness and support. For those who don’t know it yet, this is what Pittsburgh is all about.

7. rickh
    September 9, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey Ginny, re #4, do they have a website? Can’t make the hoohaw but would like to help out.

8. steeler_tom
    September 9, 2010 6:37 pm

How about a link to donate to Dickie Doyle???
    I’m in AZ now, but would like to contribute a couple bucks……

9. Jill
    September 10, 2010 8:16 am

I think that it is wonderful that you are supporting #4. However, to be clear, while horrific, I do not believe there were any fatalities in the July 2010 explosion (thank goodness) the article that you are linking to is from a separate incident in September 2009.

10. Lauren
    September 10, 2010 5:38 pm

I don’t think it’s really his hair. First, I think he’d be creeped out by the idea of them sending out actual locks of his hair – I think I would be. Second, I think he posted on Twitter (can anyone confirm that it’s his?) that he hasn’t cut his hair since he before he met his wife. I doubt he’s going to cut it for H&S.

11. Meghan
    September 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Any donations for Rich Doyle can be sent to:
    Richard Doyle Family Fund Trust
    c/o Dollar Bank
    P.O. Box 765
    Pittsburgh Pa, 15230

Thanks to everyone for their kindness!