I’ll be …

1. at PodCamp Pittsburgh on Saturday, learning like everyone else. I believe you can still register to attend the free un-conference, where you’ll learn everything you could possibly want to know about blogging, podcasting, or social media in general. I hope it isn’t rude that I’ll be bopping between three sessions at once, because I want to hear Secret Agent L’s session, Terra’s session, and the 2 Political Junkies session and they are all happening at once. Dislike!

2. at the Best of Pittsburgh Party tonight on the Gateway Clipper Majestic, celebrating with Pittsburgh Magazine the best of the Burgh.

3. trying to quash my fear of boats.

4. wearing white pants (I love these pants, so I wear them a lot), a shirt borrowed from my sister, and jewelry borrowed from my mother. FANCY.

5. avoiding cameras, as per my usual.

6. talking to my hair stylist about wearing my hair straight from now on. The curls. They are annoying me lately.

7. trying very hard to better pronounce my “s”s. I had to record a video recently for a charitable endeavor, and man, you can barely hear my s. I assume this has to do with my hearing loss, but being as I’ve never really actually listened to myself before, I never noticed it. How people don’t bitchslap me while I’m talking is beyond me. It’s super annoying to not hear the s when a person speaks.

8. accepting the Special Award of Distinction from the Women and Girls Foundation at their Women in Media event in November. No, I’m not worthy, but you all are, because without you, I am not really doing anything.

9. at the Las Velas one-year anniversary celebration on October 1, where we’ll celebrate with food, mariachis, and giveaways. All are invited!

10. hoping to see some brain-eating during the Market Square Zombie Fest on October 10, which is World Zombie Day.

11. flagging a whole bunch of shit as inappropriate.

September 16, 2010 10:32 am

Show your stylist a picture of Jory Rand and say, “Like that.” Hilarity can ensue for any guy friends of Jory’s who take a liking to you, like in the “Seinfeld” where George freaks out when people say his girlfriend looks just like Jerry.

2. Me
    September 16, 2010 10:40 am

White? After Labor Day? Shocking!

I work in an office with a bunch of older women. They seriously follow that rule. It’s totally odd to me, but it’s written in stone for them. No matter what the weather, no white, no linen. Could be 90 freakin’ degrees with 90% humidity, but it’s after Labor Day, so there you have it.

3. Burgh Baby
    September 16, 2010 10:46 am

#7 is not AT ALL annoying. Not even a little bit (especially since I’ve never noticed it). However, #6? OMG. I will be so annoyed if you straighten your hair. BEYOND ANNOYED.

4. Dana
    September 16, 2010 10:49 am

Talk to your sylist about the Brazilian Blowout. I have curly hair like you and did it this summer and it’s amazing. It’s a hair smooth treatment and makes your hair straight, shiny, and ammaazzinnnggg. Trust me – it’s the best thing ever.

On the “I’ll be note” – I’ll be attending a Redskins game on Sunday (misplaced Pennsylvanian living in DC) wearing my Steelers jersey. Done and done.

5. mamabear
    September 16, 2010 11:02 am

Ginny, maybe your “s” is fine and you just can’t hear it? Maybe your aids need a tune up? Sounds like “s” are notoriously tricky….

September 16, 2010 11:05 am

All guys in favor of imagining Ginny getting a Brazilian, raise a hand.

*Raises hand*

7. lipreadergalore
    September 16, 2010 11:14 am

Funny that you should bring up your “s.” Our family dinnertime conversation last night was all about it. When my husband was telling our eight-year-old daughter how to say the sound properly, I told him that’s not how I was taught to do it. And after all, I’m the one with years of professional speech therapy under my belt. But it turns out I still can’t say it as well as my family — because they’re all hearing and I’m not. It’s in a frequency I can’t hear. Guess it IS a deaf thing, after all!

And the hair? Keep it curly, please! Curls rock!! People covet our curls! If my hair annoys me, I always look at the calendar and see when my last hair cut was. Maybe you’re due?

8. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 16, 2010 11:21 am

I thought a Brazilian Blowout was the possibility of Inez Sains pants blowing out because they are so tight….Hey OHH

pa dum pum…Im here all week

9. spoon
    September 16, 2010 11:52 am

I think Scott Priester should show up to Podcamp. Our sessions are very interactive :)

10. Dana
    September 16, 2010 12:07 pm

I knnnewwwwww mentioning a Brazilian Blowout would bring this kind of response, but that’s the name – it’s legit! Haha http://www.brazilianblowout.com/

11. L-A
    September 16, 2010 12:08 pm

i have crazy curly hair, too, and recently had it “relaxed.” Best thing I ever did. Now I can wear it curly (more like wavy) or straight and smooooth. Love it!

12. Carpetbagger
    September 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Since they’re calling for rain tonight…

Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale,
    A tale of a fateful trip
    That started from this South Side port
    Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
    The skipper brave and sure.
    The passengers set sail that day
    For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
    The tiny ship was tossed,
    If not for the courage of the fearless crew
    The Clipper would be lost, the Clipper would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted Neville isle
    With Ginny,
    The Skipper too,
    Some millionaires and their wives,
    A movie star
    A professor and a punter named Dan,
    Here on Ginny’s Isle.

13. Jodi
    September 16, 2010 12:57 pm

An idea for your PodCamp Pittsburgh dilemma: record one on your iphone (or a friend’s iphone), use a digital recorder at the other, and sit in (and relax) at the third.

14. red pen mama
    September 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Your boy fans are bad, Ginny.

Anyhoo: #4: before people get all up in arms (which, I think they’ve all been sufficiently distracted by the juxtaposition of “Brazilian” and “blowout”): it’s white SHOES. Has to do with military dress, if i recall correctly. I’m all for white after Labor Day as long as it’s weather appropriate. I have a pair of white jeans… that I probably won’t fit back into until next Labor Day, but I love those jeans.

in the meantime, I will continue to be knocked up and too tired to attend any of these events. Have fun!

And congrats on #8!

15. Greg
    September 16, 2010 1:25 pm

To Dan (Not Onarato)… that make 2 Inez Sains references in the comments to the last 2 posts and no pic from Virgina…. BTW… great comment.

16. Butcher's Dog
    September 16, 2010 1:37 pm

If I asked someone to give me a Brazilian Blowout, the last thing I would expect is straight hair. Not before, not during, and certainly not afterward.

And yes…as one of Ginny’s boy fans I agree with rpm. We’re bad. And we like it that way. And we suspect Ginny likes it that way as well. Heck, I got aroused when she started talking about her “s”. Then I realized it was alphabet.

Side note: Bucs Tragic Number is down to 11. And it’s Seattle, not Baltimore, which now threatens our Number One Pick next summer. Again, no need to thank me.

17. empirechick
    September 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Kudos, Carpetbagger – very well done!

18. bethkiz
    September 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Ginny, I hope you’ll also be talking like a pirate come Sunday as it’s International Talk Like A Pirate Day! Also, a good chance to wear Buccos gear that otherwise would sit, unloved, in the back of the closet.

19. Tracy in SC
    September 16, 2010 2:39 pm

I’m jealous of your curls but I totally get annoying hair. I wear white after Labor Day (it’s 95 degrees in SC today!). I spent hours in elementary school saying tongue twisters in speech therapy to learn how to correctly pronounce ‘s’.

AND. I now have Edwin McCain stuck in my head after seeing the title of the post. Ugh.

20. red pen mama
    September 16, 2010 3:39 pm

@Butcher’s Dog, hey, as a woman who frequently responds to her postings of hot, hot men, I certainly hope the boys are allowed to be as bad as the girls. I’m all for equality. I hope you didn’t take my comment as discouragement. ;) If Ginny wants to tell anyone to step off, I’m sure she will!

I also especially liked @spoon’s invitation to mr. priester. heck, I would find a way to go downtown and see that action.

21. aDerek
    September 16, 2010 4:35 pm

See you on the boat tonight – I’ll be the one with the frizzy hair!

22. SWF_Terra
    September 16, 2010 8:06 pm

I’d really like to meet that mullet you used to have. See if your hairdresser can hook that up.

Also, no white after Labor Day is an archaic notion that died with no mixing brown and black or your shoes have to match your belt. I have a winter white suit that I wear during the holidays when I want to look professionally festive. You wear those white pants and you eat BBQ and drink iced tea and swim in a pool. Deadlines on fun are dumb.

Seriously, I can’t wait to meet you and I might soil my drawers so please bring baby wipes.

23. Carly
    September 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Oh man, I think your curvy hair is gorgeous! Nonetheless, if you go the straight route…consider doing something that doesn’t require you to have to straighten it every day. I got a cut once that I had to straighten every morning and personally I’d rather sleep for that extra 30 minutes to an hour, but that’s just me :D

24. Just Ssssayin...
    September 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Ginny, I for one would much, much rather hear too little “s” — and fill it in — seems endearing — than too much, as in our current president’s highly sssibilant ssspeaking ssstyle.

[Wayne's World -- sssiblianccce, ssssibilanccce, sssibilanccce! Party time!]

Ssseriously, I know kids don’t routinely get speech therapy any more, but 35 years ago…? Obama could be headmaster of the House of Slytherin. And I’m just talking about speaking, not his politics…

25. pghjen
    September 16, 2010 11:05 pm

I’ve had both a Brazilian Blowout and a Global Keratin Treatment. They are basically the same thing, although I believe the keratin treatment is supposed to last a bit longer. I think it’s great and then you have hassle free hair for months.

26. Angry Mongo
    September 17, 2010 8:15 am

10-10-10 World Zombie Day in Market Square and the Heart Walk at Heinz Field. This could be bad…

or extremely hillarious.

September 17, 2010 9:34 am

See, all you have to do is say the word “Brazilian” and the guys are all aaaaOOOOOOOgaaa with cartoony eyes popping out and jaws dropping to the sidewalk and drool and spittle and all that.

I don’t know why this happens but it helps explain the alleged hotness of Gisele Bundchen.

September 17, 2010 9:35 am

Angry Mongo,

Should be no problem. Now if they held a BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS!!! Walk …

29. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 17, 2010 9:40 am

@22 SWF_Terra (you are a stunner BTW – sorry had to say it)…

Are you suggesting that I should stop going by the Herb Tarleck (of WKRP in Cincinnati fame) rule #1 of fashion etiquette? “The belt ALWAYS matches the shoes”

September 17, 2010 10:24 am

you had me at “brazilian blowout”….

31. SWF_Terra
    September 17, 2010 11:46 am

@29 Dan (Not Onarato)
    *bows* Thank you sir. I humbly accept your compliment.

Indeed. “Matching” is no longer necessary. Things should GO. If it’s pleasing to the eye, it works.