Hit with the ugly stick?

Evgeni Malkin. Two sides of one coin.

Last month:

Last week:

I’m all confused now. That doesn’t even look like the same person.

It looks more like brothers. The hot one. And the other one.

1. Tracy
    September 21, 2010 11:24 am

Oh. My. Gravy. I am going to pretend I didn’t see the second pic…it’s for the best.

2. Noelle
    September 21, 2010 11:28 am

Amazing what mood lighting, sunglasses, and hair gel can accomplish.

3. Shannon
    September 21, 2010 11:29 am

I have seen his brother, trust me, Geno is the better looking one..

4. Me
    September 21, 2010 11:44 am

Lighting. And being caught in a goofy facial expression moment.

5. Lauren
    September 21, 2010 12:02 pm

The sunglasses in the first pic help. A lot.

Also, it could be a LOT worse:

6. Monty
    September 21, 2010 12:02 pm

This is easily explained.

You know how brides always pick out really ugly, unflattering bridesmaid dresses so they’ll look much better in their wedding photos than women around them? Well, in this case, Geno is the bride and Russia is wearing an orange dress with the muffin-top armpits and a weird faux belt buckle.

Go Pens.

7. spoon
    September 21, 2010 12:04 pm

now you understand beer goggles

8. Beatrice
    September 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Awe, I think he looks hot in the first pic and adorable in the second.

9. Virginia
    September 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Now, Beatrice. If he was not a wealthy hockey god and you passed him on the street looking like that second picture, would you say, “That guy is adorable?”

;)

10. John in the Rocks
    September 21, 2010 1:34 pm

I’m with Noelle – gotta be the shade and the hair gel.

11. aDerek
    September 21, 2010 1:36 pm

@Lauren – thanks. really. now i have to go bleach my eyes. will be mailing you the ER bill.

12. Cassie
    September 21, 2010 1:52 pm

@Lauren: Wow. Must go bleach eyeballs. I think my brain just spontaneously started to bleed, too. Someone call a doctor…for Ove. Ick!!!!

13. Burghbird
    September 21, 2010 2:09 pm

It’s the shades, man! I have a picture of Brooks Orpik from the Victory Parade last summer and I swear to you he looks totally hot when the shades are hiding his crazy-psycho-killer eyes.

14. Sooska
    September 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Geno has been photographed smiling and is best looking and sexiest guy on earth. In others he looks unfortunate. It is like that one Seinfeld episode with Jerry’s changing date. Keep Geno smiling and prevent the jealous photo editors from publishing any more bad ones.

15. Dan (Not Onarato)
    September 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Is it me or does Geno look like he lost weight from the earlier photo?

16. LucyLou
    September 21, 2010 2:47 pm

@Lauren and @Sooska…LOL!!

Geno and his “ugly/sexiness” is a frequent topic of discussion among my friends when we watch hockey games. Put a jersey, skates and helmet on him….let him drive someone head first into the boards….then we’ll all be oohing and ahhing over him again.

He IS kinda of adorable…I bet he’s saying something really cute and funny at the moment of that second photo!

17. burghgal
    September 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Tighter shirt.. that’s the ticket ;)

Didn’t they have an episode of Seinfeld based on this — Jerry dating a girl that only looked good in the booth in the diner?

Maybe Geno needs a dark corner.. I’ll help :)

18. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    September 21, 2010 3:08 pm

It’s all in the styling. The second picture looks like he just rolled out of bed after a night out. In the first picture, he took time getting ready and it shows. As long as he performs on the ice, that’s all I care about.

19. Butcher's Dog
    September 21, 2010 3:17 pm

@Burghbird: you say “crazy-psycho-killer eyes” like that’s a bad thing. Considering we see Orpik primarily during hockey games, I think it’s perfectly appropriate for him to look that way.

20. Beatrice
    September 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Ginny, good point.

21. Burghbird
    September 21, 2010 3:42 pm

@Butcher’s Dog: Brooks’ “crazy-psycho-killer” eyes are not favorable for his hotness factor, but absolutley, on the ice when he’s got someone in the crosshairs, that’s the way I like it!

22. K
    September 21, 2010 3:59 pm

The warning on that picture of Ovechkin was NOT strong enough. I feel like my brain has been burned. So very sad.

23. Lauren
    September 21, 2010 5:18 pm

You’re all quite welcome. I enjoy the fact that our players are, well, Sid and Geno, and Ovechkin, is, well, Ovechkin. Enjoy the rest of your day : )

24. Carly
    September 21, 2010 8:40 pm

This TOTALLY reminds me of many, many, many conversations I have with my husband about how much of a difference it makes to do his hair. And get out in the sun, wear flattering clothes and accessorize. He never believes me until he sees himself in photos.

25. megrcam51
    September 22, 2010 3:07 pm

We all have days like that! One minute we look HAWT and the next we look god-awful and are not fit for public viewing. :)

26. Summer
    September 23, 2010 4:06 pm

@Lauren: That was cruel. Very, very cruel.

Aw, leave poor Geno alone. As long as he score many goal, there’s not really anything to worry about. And it could always be much, much worse. Ovechkin worse.

27. erinnoelle
    June 30, 2011 1:45 am

you know what- i always think geno is attractive, no matter what lighting or anything and no its honestly not cause hes famous- hes just my type of guy i guess, almost wish he wasnt famous so a normal girl would stand a chance… :-(… <3