Random n’at.

1. I’m super excited to be having a date night and trying out the new Pittsburgh restaurant Salt of the Earth this weekend. I’m also a little intimidated because I don’t know what some of the stuff on the menu is.

Naked goat cheese? Gribiche? Fig kanji? Daffinois? Are they making stuff up?

And does naked goat cheese come from naked goats?

Everything I’ve heard about this place is that it is outstanding, so I can’t wait. I’ll do my best to act all classy n’at.

Maybe I’ll learn something, like what the heck epazote is. It sounds like the Spanish word for shoe.

Donde estan mis epazotes?

2. Jim Shearer is rocking another kickass Burgh shirt in his latest installment of Yinz Luv ‘Da Stillers.

YouTube Preview Image

I felt a little dirty watching his cat Bat-Bat rub the minature Titans helmet on her genitals. At least that’s what it looked like she was doing.

3.  The Frick, the Carnegie Art and Natural History museums, and the Heinz History Center will all be free on the September 25th. Go here to print your ticket!

(h/t my dad)

4. Reader Jaime wrote, “This Fathead should have been the Steelers Mascot.”

I agree!

The scary thing is I think that’s what they had in mind when they began creating Steely McBeam, but somewhere along the way, STEAMROLLER became THE CONSTRUCTION WORKER IN THE VILLAGE PEOPLE.

Give me an EFF!

5. I had no idea that the History Center had a John Challis display up. Thanks to reader Eric for the pics!

6.  My father emailed me this picture. LOL.

7. You designers out there have until Friday to design some fashion or fashion accessories out of newspapers to benefit Pittsburgh’s Make a Wish Foundation.

Items will be displayed in store windows in Monroeville Mall.

I’d love to see a necklace made out of newspapers.

8. A local mother who has a child with Down’s Syndrome is trying to raise the funds she needs to begin production on a line of dolls for children with Down’s, dolls that look like them but that also help them with basic skills:

These dolls are going to be approx. 23″ tall with changeable clothing that stresses occupational therapy skills such as zippers, velcro, buttons, ties and snaps. Also, in conjunction with CreationEngraving.com, each doll will come with a personalized T-shirt that says “My Best Friend.” and the child’s name.

The clothes for the doll will be a bit roomier, so that the child will not become frustrated trying to dress the doll.

That’s so touching, I might cry.

Here’s more info on how you can help fund this project.

(h/t Brianna)

1. K
    September 21, 2010 11:26 am

The Art and Natural History Museums are free on Sunday too, as part of RADical Days.

2. Sarah
    September 21, 2010 11:41 am

Down’s Syndrome dolls….brilliant. I have funded this project with a tear in my eye.

3. Bill
    September 21, 2010 12:37 pm

My 3.5 year old son has Down Syndrome and The Dolls for Downs is an awesome idea! The tab on their web site “what downs isn’t” would be good for everyone to read.

Next month is the 16th Annual Buddy Walk for DS at Hartwood Acres… it is a great fundraiser for the Down Syndrome Association of Pittsburgh…

4. G-Man
    September 21, 2010 1:20 pm

>>does naked goat cheese come from naked goats?<< Uh, are you suggesting that some goats actually wear clothes? I have seen dogs dressed up in sweathers n'at. Goats, not so much.

5. Cassie
    September 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Ginny, sometimes it’s just best not to know what it is that you’ll be eating…

6. Jake
    September 21, 2010 2:11 pm

I wonder if by “kanji” they meant “congee” since the former is the word for Chinese alphabetic characters and the latter is a rice porridge of sorts…

7. efw_west
    September 21, 2010 2:12 pm

The owner/exec chef, Kevin Sousa, is noted for this, not sure if it will be happening in the new place:

8. Connie Feda
    September 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Thank you so much for mentioning this effort. It has been my dream since my daughter was born. The closer it gets to reality, the more excited and humbled I become. Thank you for your kind, generous support, both financial and motivational.

Please spread the word!

9. Alethea
    September 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Wow. The Dolls For Downs idea is fantastic! I don’t know anyone with Downs, but what a truly great idea! Thanks for mentioning it!
    Also, thanks for pointing me to Yinz Luv Da Stillers. I’ve watched all the back issues & am looking fwd to more! Sundays mean, watching the Steelers, then coming home & sobering up enough to read WTRT, then watch YLDS. :-)

10. Eeek
    September 22, 2010 10:58 pm

wow. the kneecap on that fathead thing freaks me the hell out.

11. Deby
    September 28, 2010 1:39 pm

NOT to be contrary, but…I am certain that there are already Down Syndrome dolls. My sister mentioned this to me, as she has a co-worker who has a child with Down’s. Again, I’m certainly not trying to detract from anyone’s efforts, particularly in such a regard. But…it would be a true shame for this woman to put a lot of time, effort & money into something that could possibly be a duplication of effort. See this link: