1. This morning, Mike and I went to the Mario Lemieux Foundation offices where I learned the Mario-autographed hockey sticks are bolted to the walls and if I want to steal one, I need to bring tools or C-4.
We spent a few hours ordering:
- 6 Nintendo DS gaming systems with coordinating Nerf covers, so if the kids drop them, NO WORRIES!
- Dozens of DSi games including lots of Mario games. Get it?! MARIO!
- 5 Leapsters for the younger kids, as well as storage cases for them.
- Lots of Leapster games, including an awesome Disney Princess game for the resident princesses on the transplant floor.
- 3 portable DVD players as well as storage cases for them (more will be ordered when the ones we want become available).
- 2 Panasonic Toughbooks (we will order at least four more once we are sure the hospital likes the ones we got).
- 5 Apple iPads. That’s right. We’re putting the first iPads in Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and we’ll be looking to set up an App Store account for game purchases, etc. We’ll also purchase covers for these once we research them a bit more.
All told, we spent a crapload of money and we will be keeping a fund at the foundation for game replenishment purposes or repairs or replacement of any equipment we’ve given them.
Once all of these items are delivered to the Foundation offices, I’ll be sure to get pictures of everything so you can see exactly what we’re giving the transplant kids.
2. You can still donate to the DVE Radiothon for Children’s Hospital! DO IT.
3. Brilliant idea for Lukey if he ever runs for Governor (GOD HELP US ALL). A commercial in which he teaches us how to pronounce his last name by tossing a stuffed raven into a bathroom stall. Quoth the raven … BRILLIANT!
4. The brothers of the University of Pittsburgh’s Phi Delta Theta Iota are running the entire distance between WVU and Pitt during the week of the Backyard Brawl to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
They’re hoping to raise $10,000 this year and right now they’re at $250 for their goal.
This year’s run is being spearheaded by Burgher Dan Timko, who I met when he gave my son and I a tour of the USS Requin at the Carnegie Science Center this summer.
Dan was a champ as my son asked him this question 3,822 times, “What’s that do?” and never once answered like I often do with, “Go to your room.”
Here’s a picture from last year’s run:
God, I love it when college guys do selfless things. I hope my son takes part in things like this someday.
If not, I’ll send him to his room.
5. Speaking of Pitt, did you watch the game last night? LOL.
That was painful. We turned it off when Pitt muffed the punt return in the fourth quarter.
6. Speaking of football, here’s a fun quote:
“I’d like to score a touchdown, one of these games,” coordinator Bruce Arians said.
We’d all like that, Bruce.
However, 2-0, baby, with one offensive touchdown! That’s pretty fantastic.
7. HBO will be filming a documentary/reality show about the Capitals and Penguins as they work toward the Winter Classic.
Even though it is HBO, which loves to show skin, I’m assuming that they will pixelate any errant nakedness they might encounter in the locker rooms.
I hope they also are decent enough to pixelate Ovechkin’s fug face. No one needs to see that.
8. The Pittsburgh Pirates are one loss away from 100 losses.
Let’s go, Bucs! Suck that suck!