Justin Bieber always wins

When I heard that ESPN abruptly fired the local ESPN 1250 on-air staff to replace them with national syndicated programming, I was sad.

Stan and Guy! Scott and Mike!

And then I read this:

The station will carry ESPN’s national programming, including the “Mike and Mike” morning show, for the remainder of the year. It will become Radio Disney on Jan. 1.

Oh, OUCH!

Not only are Guy and Stan and the others losing their spots, they’re losing them to RADIO DISNEY, the audiological equivalent of a Tiger Beat magazine.

That’s gross.

So is this:

$300,000 a night. Using the hours he actually works, he’s banking like $75,000 an hour.

I feel the incredible desire to punch something.

Where’s Steely McBeam right now?

September 28, 2010 12:37 pm

There are periods in world history, and this is surely one of them, when being partly or mostly deaf is an advantage. Can I get a witness, Ginny?

2. Virginia
    September 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Testify!

3. facie
    September 28, 2010 12:38 pm

I don’t know if I am more mad about losing some of my favorite shows or that Disney is taking over. But from what I have read elsewhere, I was apparently in a small minority with those who liked the Drive in the afternoon.

I still love Phineas and Ferb though. Not sure how close (ly related) Disney and Radio Disney are. Is it like Fox and Fox News?

4. CrashJK
    September 28, 2010 12:44 pm

That little tweenie was on CSI last week too…ruined my night.

5. Noelle
    September 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Teen menace? LOL

6. betoon
    September 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Befriend Justin and tell him about Children’s Hospital…never too early to begin creating a social conscience.

7. Pensgirl
    September 28, 2010 1:11 pm

$300,000 per night for a boy whose talents seem to start and end with looking incredibly girlish. I’m girlish; can I have $300,000?

8. Just A Simple Man
    September 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Elvis has left the airwaves… Oh wait there is still Madden or The Fan, both a test listening to at times….

September 28, 2010 1:33 pm

maybe all of us could pitch in enough money to buy justin bieber a segway.

10. CrashJK
    September 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Here’s an idea…combine Madden and Paulsen into one show and replace Vinnie and Ron on the Fan !!! Scott’s intellect would crush Mark in a matter of hours and it would be like “Of Mice and Men”…for sports radio !!!

11. Scott
    September 28, 2010 1:47 pm

The biggest problem with 1250 was their signal strength, which is on par with a high school student radio station. I can’t even get a clean signal from our hilltop home in O’Hara Township….6 miles from their broadcast tower. Same is true with 970AM. Boost the wattage.

Now that CBS Radio is here with 93.7, the game has changed. Crystal clear signal…

12. BB
    September 28, 2010 2:38 pm

YEAH! I WON’T BE FORCED TO SUFFER THROUGH MIKE & MIKE ON THE MORNING COMMUTE WITH HUBBY FOR VERY MUCH LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Al Lambrini
    September 28, 2010 2:49 pm

I was never the world’s biggest big fan of blowhard sports talk radio, but at least it was local programming. Plus it was a ton better than those obnoxious national sports shows with their stupid highlight music and hyper announcers. Disney AM radio? I thought they only people who listend to AM radio were crusty old guys like me.

14. Scott
    September 28, 2010 4:27 pm

I once saw Justin Bieber described as “gay catnip”…

I thought that was perfect.

15. Monty
    September 28, 2010 5:18 pm

I don’t care how much that little creep makes, I still feel bad for him — think about how many Crying Games he has in his future.

16. BeauJacques
    September 28, 2010 6:27 pm

I’m sure Bieber is actually the in vitro, money-grubbing spawn
    of Simon Cowell.

17. carpoolmom
    September 28, 2010 6:27 pm

On Monday, I got in my car and I remember to switch to 1250 b/c i always looked forward to hearing Scott and Mike for my commute home—-instead I heard a BONEHEAD talking BS!!! I’m miss those guys-they really provided some insight into PGH sports and the team members.

18. Still A, Fan
    September 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Justin Bieber makes The Jonas Brothers look like Led Zeppelin. I watched the Nick teen awards with my 11 year old duaghter. She hates him for whatever it’s worth. But, even though pop music isn’t my thing, I can still admit when somebody has a hint of talent or at least good stage presence. They cut to this idiot doing a live number remotely after an ill-written skit with Shaq….and it was horrible. I had to splain to my little angel that daddy needed some medicine and I went downstairs, put on phones….and listened to “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd. Sigh. Did Gen-X have a Led Zeppelin? Nirvana was too short. Pearl Jam most likely but Eddie went weird. Gen-Y has who? I don’t even know who came after Gen-Y…lol….but who is their rock God? So depressing.

19. Xena
    September 29, 2010 1:06 am

Somebody better put Stan and Guy on the radio ASAP. After that great game on Sunday, that’s all I wanted to listen to on Monday. It was a big, fat disappointment to find Colin Cow Herder. Why make this change in the middle of Steeler football season? Surely they could eke out a few more months even if all the only local show left was Stan and Guy until they go all Justin Bieber on us. And for all the criticism of The Drive, I really enjoyed that show. Even Chris Mack grew on me. Let’s hope all these folks, and Ellis Cannon, who was a casualty a while back, get a new gig soon. I may have to start playing the lottery and buy a station to listen to because Vinny and Cook make me want to stab myself in the ear with a big fork.

20. Xena
    September 29, 2010 1:08 am

One more thought: as a woman, I loved 1250 because the hosts and guests were always respectful of women, unlike a few other radio pinheads I can think of. The station had adults who knew their sports, especially Stan and Guy.

21. oddmanout
    September 29, 2010 1:28 am

ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS!!!!!! Radio Disney…..really that is what they are going with…REALLY….I just threw up in my mouth. Stan and Guy are Icons in Pittsburgh, you don’t flush icons!!!! thats like smearing poop on the Mona Lisa… I am stunned, lets hope that 93.7 the Fan pick up Stan and Guy and Scott Paulson.

22. Greg
    September 29, 2010 7:02 am

I like Mike & Mike In The Morning, but always enjoyed when they switched over to the local guys.

I will just have to find another station.

23. Angry Mongo
    September 29, 2010 8:02 am

@CrashJK Agreed. Madden is a punk. Long live Scott!

@Pensgirl Just think in ten years, Bieber will look like Hilary Swank.

24. Carpetbagger
    September 29, 2010 9:29 am

Hard to believe that you can’t make money in Pittsburgh talking about the Steelers and Pens.

And how much more do we hate Tom Brady for stealing the Biebs’ hair style?

September 29, 2010 10:20 am

“Hair style”?

September 29, 2010 10:23 am

I suspect if Justine Bieber had a normal haircut nobody outside her little town in Canada would ever have heard of her. Somebody with teen girls explain to me why that hair and the greaseball Robert Pattinson totes around appeal to them.

27. spoon
    September 29, 2010 11:36 am

@bucdaddy why do you still have David Cassidy Tiger Beat photos on your man cave wall?