Random n’at

1. Is there anything more satisfying than getting out of the way of the jagoff who has been riding your tail in the left lane despite the fact that you’re going ten miles over the posted speed limit, only to find him waiting for you at a red light up ahead?  And then to have him go squealing off in a rush as soon as it turns green, only to find him waiting for you once again at the next red light?

Sometimes, Karma just works.

2. This is the best chart of adjectives ever created in the history of time and I have learned a new word.

Spelling bee moderator: “Peristeronic.”

Speller: “Peristeronic. Could you define it?”

Moderator: “Peristeronic: of or pertaining to pigeons.”

Speller: “Peristeronic. Could you use it in a sentence?”

Moderator: “These disease-riddled cloaca are peristeronic as shit.”

Best word ever.

(h/t to all that sent it including Mike, Carly, and Luann)

3. Speaking of spelling bees, one of my most favorite Psych moments is when Gus and Shawn hijack the spelling-bee competition and have to give the kids words to spell and Shawn was all, “Bah-na-na.”

LOL.

4. This summer, I got an email from reader Nicole who told me her husband’s little cousin was admitted to Children’s Hospital with a cancer diagnosis, so I of course put Genre’s mother in touch with the family. I got this email from Nicole a week or so ago and wanted to share it with you:

I’m the one who emailed you awhile ago about my husband’s little cousin who has cancer, and you kindly introduced me via email to Genre’s family (who has met my little cousin-in-law’s family! :) ) …

anyway, last night, Troy Polamalu visited Brett in the hospital!! apparently Troy’s wife just had their second baby and was still in the hospital as of Friday night.  So when Troy left the hospital that his own wife was in, he went to Children’s Hospital to visit sick kids.  Apparently Brett was sleeping when he first went into the room, so he said he would go visit some other kids and then come back.  He then did come back, hanging out with Brett on his bed and chatting with him, Brett’s mom and sister.

Now, I’m sure Troy has PLENTY of other things to do considering he was leaving today with the team to head to TN to play football tomorrow and has a family of his own at home, but instead, he spent his Friday night at Children’s Hospital visiting the sick kids on the day before he leaves town for his JOB.

Troy is awesome. Also? I’m told Troy does this almost weekly. I was also told a story of Troy walking the halls of Children’s Hospital with a sick child, and both of them were armed with Nerf guns.

This world is so shitty sometimes, I cannot embrace the light in it hard enough.

5. Whippersnappers won’t get most of them, but I got just about all of them, because about fifteen years ago I stopped being a whippersnapper and started being a curmudgeon. 101 T-shirts to Help you Relive the 80s, several of them coming from 80stees.com, a local Burgh company.

(h/t Libby who said number 54 was her favorite and it is laugh out loud inappropriate)

6. Traveling Terrible Towel, a great site of Terrible Towel photos from around the world. Check it out!

7. Jim Shearer, who is in strong contention to be my next imaginary self-united husband should I feel the need to divorce any of my current ones (I can handle four; five would make me kill people), gives us a sneak peak into what Yinz Luv ‘Da Bucs would be like if he ever produced it. Check it out in this edition of Yinz Luv ‘Da Stillers:

YouTube Preview Image

8. Don’t forget this Friday night is the one year anniversary of Las Velas and that means real mariachis playing during dinner from 6 to 9 p.m. Always a fun time hearing them.

9. If you haven’t yet bought your ticket to the ScareHouse for October 5′s charity night benefiting Make Room for Kids and Christmas Crazy for Kids, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy it from my site or by using the “DRESS” promo code to buy regular tickets for that night.

I have asked some people who have already gone through it and they are not very comforting to me with their “you are so screwed”s and their “I’ll pray for you”s. I am seriously getting scared. I’m coming up with ways to cope and a lot of them involve alcohol and the turning off of my hearing aids and the blinding of myself with a pigeon beak.

That’s peristeronic as shit.

10. Speaking of Make Room for Kids, the first delivery of awesomeness has arrived to be unpacked and sent over to the kids in the transplant floor.

Love.

Two more big deliveries to go.

UPDATE! iPads just arrived!

1. Joshua
    September 29, 2010 11:15 am

Left lane/right lane thing only applies to highway driving. Let him worry about whipping through traffic if that is what he wants.

Troy is definitely the man.

2. Kathy
    September 29, 2010 11:28 am

Whoa! What decade am I in? I’m disappointed there wasn’t a Megaroids shirt. Loved that game.

Troy rocks.

3. Matt
    September 29, 2010 11:35 am

The only thing more satisfying than seeing speeding jagoffs stuck at lights, is passing speeding jagoffs when they’ve been pulled over by the cops.

4. Rich
    September 29, 2010 11:44 am

Just get out of the left lane! Sometimes I get through the next light.

5. BeauJacques
    September 29, 2010 11:57 am

I-95 between DC and Richmond: should be a free-fire zone!

6. Cassie
    September 29, 2010 12:12 pm

It’s guys like Troy that make me believe it’s OK to look up to a sports figure.

7. Jared
    September 29, 2010 1:10 pm

i’m with rich. also, xkcd is my favorite webcomic.

8. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    September 29, 2010 1:12 pm

@Matt beat me to it. I can’t tell you how many times when traveling the Turnpike I’ve had cars speed up and tailgate, flash their lights and expect me to fit under the 18 wheeler in the next lane just so they can get right behind the six cars in front of me. I’m always happy when I see them pulled over a mile up the road. Because 80 just isn’t fast enough for them through the curvey roads between Bedford, Somerset and Donegal.

9. Erin
    September 29, 2010 1:36 pm

If you’re being passed while you’re in the left lane, it’s because you are ignoring the law first. Pennsylvania law mandates drivers to remain in the right hand lane unless they are merging or traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow. Anyone who is being passed while they are in the left lane is traveling slower than the traffic flow.

10. AmyLa
    September 29, 2010 1:54 pm

I firmly believe that a-hole drivers have a self esteem problem. They think being in a rush makes them look important. Confirmed by driving with my boss.

Plus, if you’ve ever tracked your arrival time on your GPS, you’ve noticed that it takes driving at the speed of light to take a mere minute off your arrival time. So what’s the rush? ;)

11. Monty
    September 29, 2010 1:58 pm

@ Erin — I thought you sounded a little uptight until I imagined reading your post in the voice of Vicki, the little robot girl from Small Wonder. Now I can’t stop laughing.

12. Elle C.
    September 29, 2010 2:00 pm

The part about Troy visiting sick kids? At least once a week? Brought tears to my eyes. He is truly a saint.

September 29, 2010 2:27 pm

1. I always hope to see those guys get in an accident ahead of me. Then I would happily pull over and wait until the cops show up, and I would tell them what an asshole the guy was being and offer to testify anywhere, anytime. I wouldn’t exactly lie but I would embellish as much as my conscience would allow, which would be a lot.

“Plus, if you’ve ever tracked your arrival time on your GPS, you’ve noticed that it takes driving at the speed of light to take a mere minute off your arrival time. So what’s the rush?”

I like it when I see the arrival time go from 8:15 to 8:14. It’s like going back in time/ I pretend I’m Marty McFly.

14. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    September 29, 2010 2:43 pm

You can be in the left lane, passing vehicles in the right lane and have jerks speed up behind you and flash their lights at you to go even faster, but you can’t because there are three cars in front of you also working on passing the line of tractor trailers alongside of you in the right hand lane. As someone who travels the Turnpike on a regular basis (2-3 times monthly), this happens all of the time.

15. Angry Mongo
    September 29, 2010 3:05 pm

I am a left lane driver. That’s just how it is. I figure if it’s for passing then that’s where I’m going to be anyway.

TROY. AWESOME. NUFF SAID.

Oh, and not to toot my own horn, but…
    talking about 80s?

16. Erin
    September 29, 2010 3:13 pm

Ex-Pat PG – You have a point and I agree with you. But, there are just as many (if not more) people that needlessly sit in the passing lane when they shouldn’t. Those people are just as bad, in my opinion. Too many people are in la-la land when they drive and have no awareness of their surroundings and fellow drivers. Most of the people that I see that sit in the passing lane are usually busy talking on their cellphones and have no awareness of what’s going on around them. PA has some of the worst drivers that I’ve ever encountered.

17. Erin
    September 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Monty – People die every day in car accidents, if I sound uptight about the clueless drivers that help to cause these accidents, then so be it.

18. bluzdude
    September 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Troysus is the Anti-Ray Lewis.

19. BeauJacques
    September 29, 2010 4:23 pm

One of my great pleasures in life is getting behind clueless (almost always female) idiots, usually talking on their cells, (usually blonde,) and blasting the shit out of them with my after-market compressed air (truck) horn!

I drive 1000′s miles a month and I don’t have time for clueless shitheads who stay in the left lane.

Erin is right, move faster or get the eff out of the way- period!

20. CFluck
    September 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Yes, iPads!

21. gunnlino
    September 29, 2010 9:02 pm

@ Nicoles note re her young cousins illness; I’m praying for yet another child and I’m praying the part about Troy is authentic unlike the urban legend of Tory paying for everyones dinner at a fine dining place once.

22. Silica
    September 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Absolutely the left lane rule applies for highways…not sure if it’s fair to make it apply to city driving (this road that Ginny speaks of has traffic lights). Blocks are too short to be swerving in and out of lanes when you have people constantly turning (either direction) – though of course, that doesn’t mean people don’t try!

I try to be an efficient driver; and I also try not to be a jerk or get myself killed.

Switch to our mobile site