Dork vs. Hip Hop

As you are aware, if I handed you my iPod, you would scroll through the songs on there, sit down, and have yourself a merry little belly laugh.

Here’s the first several that come up on shuffle, just to give you an idea:

• Alanis Morissette, Uninvited.
  • Phantom of the Opera Cast, Phantom of the Opera
  • David Cook, Life on the Moon
  • Glee Cast, Take a Bow
  • Breathe, Does She Love That Man
  • Carrie Underwood, I Told You So

Are you done laughing?

My point is, I’m a musical dork. I like dorky music. My iPod is filled with dork words set to dork melodies filled with dork violins. Lots of country music dorks, too.

As a general state of being, I don’t “get” hip-hop music that much. I mean, yeah, I was all into Gangsta’s Paradise back when Michelle Pfeiffer was schooling young dangerous minds, but I’m not one to spend much time listening to n-word-filled raps about hoes and bitches and weed and shizzles and whatever expensive champagne is currently the must-have of the hip-hop world. I’m more of a “my girl left me and mah truck it broke down the raiiiin. You can blame the pain, but yah can’t,” or “honkey tonk badonkadonk” kind of girl.

To each his or her own.

So imagine my surprise that this song by Pittsburgh’s own Wiz Khalifa, Black and Yellow, is now stuck in my head.

And the video is filled with Pittsburgh goodness and there’s a DJ Bonics sighting at 2:37. And as the boys at the Freak Show pointed out, LaMarr Woodley is in there too!

YouTube Preview Image

It’s catchy as heck, and I’ve already caught myself doing the dishes all, “Yeah ah ha, you know what it is, everything I do, I do it big.”

[throws signs] [flips through a stack of ones] [guzzles coffee]

Also, someone feed that boy a sandwich. His thigh is as big as my arm. Sheesh.

1. Silica
    October 11, 2010 10:03 am

I am not normally a hip hop fan either, but as with pretty much any genre of music, there is the good stuff if you’re willing to wade through all the muck.

This qualifies as “good stuff.” Pittsburgh love always does!

2. JenEngland
    October 11, 2010 10:45 am

Black and Yellow, Black and Yellow, Black and Yellow, Black and Yellow! Yeah. That’s gonna be stuck in my head now all day too. And I’d argue its not just filled with Pittsburgh goodness, it pays homage to Pittsburgh goodness. I haven’t seem that many people wearing the Pirates P and smiling since you drove the bandwagon carrying the last drunken stragglers into the Mon! :) Love it!

3. Chris
    October 11, 2010 11:15 am

That song has become part of my 15 year old’s regular homework song rotation…I finally had to ban it in the car the other day because I’ve heard it so many times!

4. Pa-pop
    October 11, 2010 11:20 am

New ring tone!! Woo!!!

5. YinzerInExile
    October 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Stuff like this really brings out my inner hypocrite. If this were, say, some Baltimore artiste (who is not Sisqo or Dru Hill because, Thong Song: *stab*) singing about “black and purple black and purple black and purple” all wavin’ around their putrid purple camo, I would be rolling (like, back and forth, clutching at my sides) and claiming it to be the stupidest thing ever in the history of stupid things.

And yet this. I like this. Despite its obvious corniness.

But I need to know: his reference to (presumably Veuve?) Cliquot — does this mean that Cristal is passe? Or is he just super avant garde?

6. Mike S.
    October 11, 2010 12:39 pm

So do the Pirates now suck so bad that we are supposed to wear their logo upside down??

7. Magnus Patris
    October 11, 2010 12:41 pm

He’s no Sir Mix-A-Lot or DJ Jazzy Jeff, but I can honestly say I don’t dislike that song. Now, back to listening to The Who, The Clash, The Jam, The The and any number of other British groups with “The” in them.

8. Tess
    October 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Ooooh, Breathe – I love them! Didn’t know there was another human being on the planet who would know that song…

October 11, 2010 1:02 pm

wiz…represent!

that being said…what the hell ever happened to rock music?

10. Clementine
    October 11, 2010 3:29 pm

The logo is a gang sign… and just checked out his twitter… he certainly has a one-track mind… what’s left of it, anyway.

11. djh
    October 11, 2010 4:50 pm

I prefer JasiriX

12. Dan (Not Onorato)
    October 12, 2010 8:37 am

Agreed…feed that kid a sammich!

October 12, 2010 12:01 pm

what the hell ever happened to rock music?

May I recommend Drive-By Truckers?

October 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Also, Joe Grushecky is probably playing someplce near you sometime soon.

15. Stephanie
    October 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Mike S. The Pirate symbol is what Wiz wears most often, the upside down one was from a collaboration with him and Diamond supply clothing. It’s the Pirates P but also the D for diamond.

16. Summer's Kiss
    October 18, 2010 10:35 am

‘Black and Yellow’ was MTV’s Jam of the Week last week. Woot!

17. Jason
    January 16, 2012 10:36 am

If you ask me wearing the P upsidedown is disrespectfully as hell!!!!! I wear a P on my neck everday and Im proud of it!!!!!!! I dont weat it tp rep the Pirates but to Rep Pittsburgh!!!!! I really dont think wiz reps the burgh I personlly think hes a wanksta!!!!!!