Dear Eat ‘n Park:

A few weeks ago I was in your restaurant when I noticed you had a new menu item. It’s called, “The Pittsburgh [something or other].”

The Pittsburgh Sandwich, maybe.

My husband ordered it, and basically it was a Primanti’s sandwich. You know … meat, cheese, cole slaw, french fries. Primanti’s.

And this thought entered my head: Eat ‘n Park has taken the Primanti sandwich, named it something else, and is selling it for profit. Meanwhile, Eat ‘n Park will set their legal pit bulls after any store in the entire United States of America, doesn’t matter who, if they dare to sell a sugar cookie with a smile on it.

Like this NJ company and their Box of Smiles.

Or by this Texas company who you claimed had a “confusingly similar smiling face design.”

Or any of a myriad of lawsuits you’ve brought over the last few years, even arguing about cookie noses.

I would posit that a person is no more likely to be confused that a cookie they got through Cookies by Design is an Eat ‘n Park cookie, any more than they’d be confused that a french fry, cole slaw, meat sandwich they got at Eat ‘n Park is a Primanti’s sandwich.

I would also posit that while I understand your desire to protect your trademark, in light of your recent litigious aggressiveness, I find it hilarious that you’d actually hijack another Pittsburgh institution, rename it, and put it on your menu. That, my good friend, is what we call hypocrisy.

Yours,

Me.

1. amy
    October 20, 2010 3:58 pm

BTW, I was 10 and E&P sucks like an old Hoover

2. Al Lambrini
    October 20, 2010 4:14 pm

While I concur with your assessment of Turkey Devs you premise that Philadelphia knows from sandwiches is completely incorrect. Greasy cheap chuck covered in artificial cheese-food product is no way to go through life son.

3. betoon
    October 20, 2010 4:35 pm

I thought the same thing when I saw the commercial – that’s Primanti’s. Which I am sure their ad people knew all along. It isn’t the food that bothers me – it’s the phony cheeriness of their spokesperson. Really you’re that excited about smiley cookies and pot roast. The best commercial would be to have the Frownie pop up in the middle of all that Eat & Park joy and bliss. Anthony Bourdain was here this summer to talk about a new book and when he opened the floor to questions some lady kept talking about Primanti’s sandwiches. Sigh.

4. PA Girl in VA
    October 20, 2010 4:57 pm

@Newburgher & Eric Williams – maybe they don’t mean “park” as in park your car. Maybe it goes back to the old days when a guy and his girl would go “parking” in some secluded place for a little….well, YOU know! LOL So perhaps it’s a suggestion to the fine upstanding men of the area to at least buy your date a meal before you expect something from her. Just a thought.

5. PA Girl in VA
    October 20, 2010 4:59 pm

BTW, am I gonna get sued for THIS??
    ————-> :)

6. Angry Mongo
    October 20, 2010 5:20 pm

@PA Girl: #53 That may lead to sticky buns.

7. Ekat
    October 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Excellent point, Ginny. Pirmanti’s might not have a trademark on their sam-ich, but it’s still a douche move from Eat N Park to sweat their scene, when they’re so quick to get litigious about their smiles. I bet they have their lawyers looking into the possiblity of suing anyone who uses a :) in their emails or Facebook posts.

8. steeler_tom
    October 20, 2010 7:30 pm

Eat & Park????
    Oh hell!
    I thought it was Eat & Puke.
    My bad.
    Yes they are major Douches
    FWIW, Primanti’s aren’t the 1st to put a fried egg or slaw on a sammich….. The slaw is very traditional on southern BBQ sammiches for like forever.
    Fried eggs on a sammich, Miss Kim McDonalds (Street vendor near OSAN AB Korea, and lets talk copyright she even has the same darn uniform with the golden arches Embroidered on her hat and vest!) in Song Tan city ROK was doing that years and years ago!
    Lol

9. spoon
    October 20, 2010 8:47 pm

The only use for Eat n Park is if you have kids. Its a godsend when we want to eat out and take the spawn with us

10. Maybe This Time
    October 20, 2010 11:17 pm

My husband calls it Eat’n’Fart.

(What does it say about you if you hate a place but go there anyway?)

October 21, 2010 12:35 am

I go there for the ambiance.

12. Eric Williams
    October 21, 2010 10:00 am

@spoon Even that’s not always so great. Last time we went with the boys they’d run out of high chairs.

October 21, 2010 10:25 am

Sadly, in our town it’s the only 24/7 sit-down coffee shop. Anybody wants to send a Waffle House our way, we’d be much obliged.

14. burgher-licious
    October 21, 2010 12:16 pm

@16 Monty – I agree the Rent is too Damn High, even for karate experts who will marry their shoe and refuse to eat fake sandwiches at ENP. How rude!

15. Ang
    October 21, 2010 9:18 pm

This is sad but true. As a former 4 year employee of Primantis in Oakland, you wouldn’t believe the amount of places I heard about that ripped off the Primanti Bros original sandwich. SHame on you Eat N Park, Shenanigans, “Panini Bros” in (gag) Cleveland and “Iron City Sammiches” in Indiana, PA.
    Shame. You will never have an actualy, true Primanti Bros sandwich

16. Shawn
    October 22, 2010 9:44 am

Its Steel City Samiches. And we are much cleaner and have a friendlier staff than Primantis in Oakland will ever have. And I have 7 years of Primantis in Oakland experience.

17. Angry Mongo
    October 22, 2010 9:51 am

@Shawn 66 I always preferred Sam’s to Primanti’s in Oakland. Something about that bread and fries was just awesome.

18. Julia
    October 22, 2010 11:24 am

@bucdaddy #24: Where is there a Cheddar’s in the Pittsburgh area? I went to that restaurant in Morgantown, WV just passing through about two months ago, and my boyfriend and I have been talking about how great it would be if Cheddar’s was up here too.