Oh, Jimmy, you’re so … not shutty uppy.

I thought someone was going to tell James Harrison to shut up.

Didn’t anyone tell James Harrison to shut up?

WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TELL JAMES HARRISON TO SHUT THE HELL UP?

Tsk.

Yesterday, James Harrison wasn’t at practice. Coach Tomlin says it was because James was upset that he’s perceived as a dirty player so he gave him the day off. James’ agent says it was because James is SERIOUSLY considering retirement. I say it’s because James Harrison is being a big sissy cwhy-baby.

He went on Sirius’ Mad Dog Radio, instead of shutting up.

Honestly, I’m truly considering if I can play football in the NFL by the rules that they’re trying to make. I’m honestly going to sit down with my coach and see if I can play football within the NFL rules and still be effective. If not, I may have to give up playing football.

If I don’t get the answer that I feel will make me effective at what I do and still not put myself at getting hurt or injured, then I’m going to have to try to find a way that I may possibly be able to get out of whatever agreement I’ve made with the Steelers.

Allow me to translate. “I’m taking my ball, and I’m going home.”

Here’s the thing, James, hundreds and hundreds of tackles happened last Sunday that weren’t fined. That means there is in fact a way to play in the NFL without being fined for questionable hits. I don’t believe your hits were illegal, but at the same time, it seems to me that it can’t be that hard to make a tackle within the new guidelines being sent down from the NFL in an effort to protect brains.

“Yeah I’m going to fight it, but if it comes back as this is how it is and nothing’s going to be done, then I’m going to have to seriously consider a career change or whatever it may be.”

Again. Ball. Taking it. Going home.

James’ agent said:

“We wouldn’t joke about [retirement],” Parise said.  “This is a very serious issue.”

Dear James, my advice to you is similar to advice I’ve written to Jeff Reed recently. Recognize that you live a charmed life, no matter how unfair and poopy you feel it is right now. You are paid millions and millions of dollars to make tackles and you’ve been fined for concussing two players in one game. It might not be fair, but James, you don’t see this enough in your aforementioned charmed life, so I’m going to break it to you … Life is not fair.  It is not fair for ANYBODY.

In a few games, you might inadvertently make a helmet-to-helmet hit and you might get fined for it. Guess what? It will not in fact be the end of the world.

I was on your side until you started whining to the media. Until you pouted about how you’re being perceived as a dirty player. Until you went on the frickin’ radio and threatened to retire and then showed up at practice the next day. The idea of taking your ball and going home is to take your ball and go home. Have a snack. Watch Punky Brewster. It is not to pick up your ball, walk around the block, and then show up and say, “Just kidding.”

If you’re worth the money you’re being paid, if you’re worth your Super Bowl rings, if you’re worth the uniform on your back, you’d take the fine, shut up, show up for work, be thankful for your job and your handsome paycheck, work your ass off knowing there are so many damn problems in the world greater than your inability to smash heads to your exact liking, and say, “I’m James Freaking Harrison. I will find a way to bring your ass to the ground and I’ll do it in a way that is indisputably legal. But trust me. You will still hear the birdies and see the stars when you open your eyes.”

Just grow up. Shut up. And play ball.

If you can’t do that, then maybe it really is time to retire.

October 21, 2010 10:42 am

Speaking of Jeff Reed … anyone catch up with the recent antics of the Pride of Plum and the former Mountainheero, Pat McAfee?

It takes a really, really drunk kicker to one-up Skeevie’s punching out a paper towel dispenser, but I think Pat managed it.

Bravo, Pat! You earned an extra week off to paaaaaaaartaaaaaaaay!!!

2. SpudMom
    October 21, 2010 10:46 am

Repectfully, I disagree with this:

“But trust me. You will still hear the birdies and see the stars when you open your eyes.”

Those sorts of things are what cause brain injury and sitting there watching a game hoping that your team of choice does that to the opposing team is only glorifying (in mind my mind) the long terms detrimental effects of tackle after tackle after tackle.

I don’t expect anyone else to agree with me. I don’t want to get into an argument with Steeler Nation. But I find the attitude that “hit ’em hard! Knock ’em down! Get ’em!” to be kind of gross.

3. Virginia
    October 21, 2010 10:48 am

SpudMom,

While some call it gross, many call it football. ;)

4. Scott
    October 21, 2010 10:49 am

I do love me some James Harrison, but yesterday’s actions were so, so weak in my opinion. I hope he keeps playing his crazy brand of defense for the Steelers, but if he doesn’t I’m not to worried about the team finding a replacement for him. They’ve done it time and time again over the years with players of his caliber (see Alan Faneca)

You have no position to negotiate from here, James. Shut up and play.

5. Paul
    October 21, 2010 10:58 am

These guys continue to make it harder and harder for me to cheer for them, let alone care about them.

I think I’ll just stick with the Pens and do yardwork Sunday afternoons.Seems more productive to me.

Prepare for the onslaught of Stiller fans ready to hammer you for this post.

6. Steve
    October 21, 2010 11:01 am

I can’t say that I have not felt the same way Ginny, but I also get the impression that James is in fact very serious about just walking away from the game.

Most probably know this anyway, but remember how James got on the team?

Cut 4 times. 3 from the steelers, and 1 from the Ravens. He got a CDL and was going to drive Truck. Then bam! One of the steelers went down with an injury and James is on the active roster.

I remember reading about it several years ago, and was reminded again by some of the news coverage this past week.

My point is, that James knows that he leads a charmed life, and he is willing to walk away from it. I see it as a matter of personal pride. I get the impression that he does not see himself as a dirty player, he sees himself doing his job very well. Now that this Job has changed, he is considering if he is interested again.

I do not see a self indulging princess, I see an individual who is not afraid to have some pride in his honest hard work, and is not afraid to just walk away.

October 21, 2010 11:01 am

If he wants to pull a Pat Tillman and quit football to join the Army and be a Taliban target in Afghanistan, then I say: Bravo! Good on ya, James! I’m right (10,000 miles) behind you! Please, quit the game and walk away from your mind-warping contract and go do something useful for society. Run an orphanage in Haiti or whatever. A man of your bravery and courage and honesty and self-righteousness should be able to come up with something.

Otherwise, you just sound like you’ve already had one too many hits to the head.

8. Jeff in Houston
    October 21, 2010 11:02 am

I read this and completely agree — life is not fair! Shut up and play for the millions you get. If you get fined, so be it.

9. Virginia
    October 21, 2010 11:02 am

Excellent view from the other side, Steve.

10. Timmy
    October 21, 2010 11:05 am

Maybe he can slap them around like he did his baby’s mama?

11. SpudMom
    October 21, 2010 11:06 am

@Ginny – that’s why I don’t like football! :P

12. Me
    October 21, 2010 11:10 am

I agree with James a bit in principle. It would be a bit (but not exactly) like your employer deciding to enact a policy and then retroactively punishing you for infractions on the policy.

I understand the NFL getting tough to protect players, but I question how a hit that draws no flag on the field and could be viewed as being caused by the other player lowering themself at the last minute, can be fined so harshly. And they can shove the repeat offender b.s. when the officials are not throwing flags. Also, a hit that was so blantantly intentful — I’m looking at you Meriweather — was fined less. You announce the intent to fine and suspend going forward, I don’t agree with going backward on punishment.

That said, hey James, shut up! Life is not fair. (But I can also see why no one would say that to his face. He’s scary…)

13. Duncan
    October 21, 2010 11:15 am

He was fined 0.3% of his $20,000,000 salary (I think that’s just one year) – that’s like fining someone that makes $50k per year $150 – that’s a speeding ticket. Come on.

If the NFL wants change – up the ante.

On another, yet similar note, what about having the players wear helmets that fit? I’m tired of seeing helmets fly off multiple times per game. Obviously they don’t fit well enough to stay on. That can’t be good for the player’s heads/brains either.

14. Carpetbagger
    October 21, 2010 11:16 am

James probably spent some time going through all the professions that would allow him a sideways move into another career. Here’s the list he came up with:

–Do heart surgery
    –Be a hedgefund manager
    –Sign as power-hitting left fielder for Yankees
    –Become the next Justin Bieber
    –Own the City of Pittsburgh parking leases
    –Invent a flying car
    –Write seven more Harry Potter books
    –Be a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon

Turns out he has a lot of options on the table.

15. Monty
    October 21, 2010 11:27 am

To #92 — no one was listening until you farted.

October 21, 2010 11:32 am

carpetbagger FTW

17. MrsGJG
    October 21, 2010 11:39 am

I have heard concerns about the helmets contributing to concussions as well. So that may warrant looking into.

I’m preparing to flee to an undisclosed location as I type this, but I don’t think the league is out of line for fining these types of hits. I also think that James is being a bit of a drama queen.

And now I am going into hiding.

18. Beth
    October 21, 2010 11:40 am

I don’t know…maybe it’s just cause I’m hating my job right now, but I feel for James. I’m in accounting and I’ve been taught to do things a certain way…it’s the way ALL accountants are supposed do things. But at the company I work for, sometimes I am just not able to do that. So, I can totally relate to his frustration and I am, in fact, looking for another company to work for. A company where I can do things the way I was taught to do them.

Also, I don’t think there would be all this uproar from the fans and players if they had some recourse when things like this happened. But all they can do is appeal to the guy who fined them in the first place. That’s utterly ridiculous to me. It would be like getting a speeding ticket and going into court to contest it, only to see that the same cop who wrote you the ticket is sitting behind the bench.

19. JennyMoon
    October 21, 2010 11:49 am

I feel bad for him. He’s only human. I’d be upset too if I was doing my job really well and all of the sudden called dirty by lots of people. Let’s Go Bucs!

20. J_Galt_Pgh
    October 21, 2010 12:02 pm

You don’t understand. The type of razor-sharp kill-seeking instinct that James Harrison possesses isn’t something that is reprogrammable. It’s something that everyone who has every played football seeks to perfect. It is what has made Harrison a pro football player, something he’s honed for decades. You can’t just wave a wand, change a rule, and expect football players to change overnight – at every level (high school, college, pro) you’ve selected for this trait, and now you expect this population to simply change? It’s lunacy. Football is a violent game – no doubt – and those who play it choose to do so and accept the risk involved. You can’t change a rule and expect instant behavior modification. You can’t change a rule and expect the game to not change. You can’t eliminate head injuries from football. You can’t have everything.

21. JC
    October 21, 2010 12:04 pm

I have to say, I’ve been reading you for as long as I can remember, and not once do I ever remember not agreeing with what you said…until today.

I have to hand it to Steve, he made the point. Harrison knows exactly what he has and he was willing to walk away. Just like that. Amazing.

He never said that no one could play football now, he said, he was not sure he could. He knows exactly what his style is and what his abilities are. He did not want to be on the field being a mediocre player questioning each hit he makes. He wants to play to the best of his ability.

I say congrats to him for being willing to make that call.

22. burgher-licious
    October 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Ummm…you get paid MILLIONS to PLAY A GAME. I repeat, you get paid MILLIONS to PLAY A GAME. If you don’t like it, leave. I’m sure someone else will get paid MILLIONS to PLAY the GAME.

23. Me
    October 21, 2010 12:07 pm

@Duncan:

I didn’t think $20 million for one year was correct, so I looked around for the details on his contract and found:

4/13/2009: Signed a six-year, $51.175 million contract. The deal contains $20 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus. 2009: $800,000 (+ $2.555 million roster bonus), 2010: $755,000 (+ $2.8 million reporting bonus), 2011: $3.66 million (+ $900,000 roster bonus), 2012: $5.315 million, 2013: $6.32 million, 2014: $7.325 million, 2015: Free Agent. Cap charge: $6.2 million (2009).

So it’s more like $3,555,000 for this year, not $20,000,000. The $31+ million above the $20 million guaranteed includes incentives that may or may not be earned. So, the fine is more like 2.1% of his salary. Which would be like the average suburbanite paying a fine that was double their annual local wage tax.

(If I figured that out right. I do suck at math, so someone may correct this.)

24. Pam
    October 21, 2010 12:12 pm

While I don’t agree with his tactic, I do believe that he is making a good point. Why is it that the very same “hard hits” that the NFL glorifies is now being targeted for punishment? The NFL is being a complete hypocrite when it comes to this past weekend. It just so happened that there were MORE hits this past weekend that caused injuries than in the past weeks. And to punish someone because of past performace is ridiculous. Every Sunday, all of the sports commentators commend the Steelers for having the best damn defense of any NFL team. Yet the NFL punishes the Steelers for it. Seriously, think about it. There’s a Hines Ward Rule, a Kimo Van Oelhaffen Rule, and now there’s basically a James Harrison Rule.

Not a single NFL player goes into this profession thinking that they will never get hurt. It’s an unfortunate risk, but a risk that they take every single time they suit up.

James Harrison can’t play the game the way he has been taught all of his life and feels that he is being unjustly targeted. How can you blame him for being pissed?

25. PK
    October 21, 2010 12:15 pm

I’m with bucdaddy…if Harrison wants to talk the talk, he should walk the walk. Don’t pull a Farve.

And not that hockey is any safer, but the NHL has at least tried to minimize on-ice injuries. Not that it helps when Letang or Engelland drop the gloves and let the fists fly.

NFL injuries are scary enough, but if you want to pick up your jaw from your lap read this investigation into helmet safety for kids…it ain’t pretty:

26. Joe K.
    October 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Agree Harrison said a little too much, but I kind of side with him in that the NFL seems to be changing the rules on the fly. I’m sorry, but the hit on Massequoi was not illegal by the rules that were in place at the time of the hit, there was no helmet-to-helmet contact.

27. kevin
    October 21, 2010 12:23 pm

James should do quite well in today’s Job market with those impeccable people skills. What a jaggoff, and so is is his genius agent. We need Dr. Evil to tell all Steeler players to “ZZIIIIPPPITTT”.

28. Just A Simple Man
    October 21, 2010 12:33 pm

I’m in @ Steve’s corner on this one. I do not think that this move by JH has anything to do with the money. As many have pointed out it is a fraction of what he makes in a year.
    It’s all about principal.

Oh the media…Funny how one weekend of play has altered the landscape of the NFL. It all started with Rodney Harrison comments on Sunday Night football and the media went rampant as usual. WTF is with the shock and awe coming from Rodney Flippin Harrison? Puleeze. Has anyone looked at film of him lately while he was with the Patriots? He was much worse than what went on in the games last weekend.

Now back to JH. I think this would make any of us think. Others in the NFL are questioning the rational of these changes too not just JH. As Beth pointed out, when your trained for years on how to “play” your game it is difficult and unsettling to make a change in how you do it over night regardless of how much money you make (especially when you didn’t do it wrong in the first place, IMHO). And if the organization you are working for (NFL)has already “branded” you, what are the odds that you will truly be able to ply your craft in the manor that you were trained? Let’s just draw a big bullseye on that number 92 jersey.

I feel that going forward the NFL will be conducting a clandestine witch hunt…. Let’s see what dominoes will fall.

29. red pen mama
    October 21, 2010 12:39 pm

While I agree that Harrison is whining a bit (as are a bunch of other defensive players), and while I also see the point that he was told to do his job one way, and now it’s changing on him, I also see this: http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/October-2010/Play-or-Get-Played-Why-the-James-Harrison-Hit-Really-Doesn-039t-Matter/ (from one of Ginny’s fellow writers at Pittsburgh Magazine).

Hits like Harrison’s and Merriweather’s, and… and that other guy’s, in the long run don’t matter. The concussive nature of the sport isn’t in the big hits; it’s in the thousands of little ones.

The other point (I know, I know can I PLEASE waffle more?) I keep hearing about is head shot vs. knee tackles. Almost every player I have heard/read weigh in says: hit me in the head. I’ll be dizzy, but I’ll be up and walking around, and in the next game. You take out my knee, I’m done, maybe for the season, maybe for good. Now, maybe those guys are saying shite like that because they’ve been hit in the head too many times already. But it’s out there.

And I love football. I love watching it. I’m going to have to reevaluate that, and consider if I’m glorifying violence or if I’m just enjoying some entertainment by guys who choose to play a game (and get paid millions).

30. Burgh Baby
    October 21, 2010 12:43 pm

I think Steve hit the nail squarely on the head. He *is* willing to walk away, precisely because he knows he’s living a charmed life. It’s a charmed life that he had to work his ass off to get. We’re talking about a guy who played college football at Kent State, where he was often told he better start looking for something besides football because he would never wind up a pro.

From where he is sitting, he was fined despite the fact that he followed the rules. At the same time, he knows he is held illegally on nearly every play without flags being thrown. He has to be wondering what he has to do to make the NFL and its refs treat him fairly.

He does, however, need to shut up.

31. CrashJK
    October 21, 2010 12:48 pm

F the Stillers….watch the Penguins instead…I hate the drama queen NFL.

32. tw
    October 21, 2010 12:49 pm

I think he’s an emotional person and this hit a nerve and he spoke about it. Hines does this all the time. Not that I like hearing it, but I don’t feel we have to be that harsh on him. He didn’t go around condemning others (maybe the rules but not specific people) and yet that’s what many on here are doing to him. He was speaking about his own situation. I was a little surprised at the harshness of this post…and that’s the first time I’ve ever felt that way here.

This is really an explosive issue between football fans/players. Take a look on ESPN.com and listen to the discussions between the old timers. It definitely hits a nerve and Harrison is not the only one who feels that way.

33. Ugh 2: Electric Boogaloo
    October 21, 2010 1:00 pm

@Scott

If you think the Steelers have properly filled the hole left by Alan Faneca’s departure I’d like to sell you my beach house in Wyoming.

As for the Harrison thing.

He’s right. He’s the one being wronged here. He is the best outside linebacker in the NFL and he does his job exactly the way it’s supposed to be done. He is not a dirty player, and yet the NFL wants to force him to have to change his style or face fines and suspensions.

It’s a stupid move that is just another in the myriad moves by Roger Goodell that are quickly ruining the NFL.

For the best take I’ve ever seen on the James Harrison issue check out this post on NFL.COM…

34. Sheila
    October 21, 2010 1:05 pm

I say retire and if you don’t like paying the 75K fine, see how paying back some of that $10M signing bonus feels.

You’re a professional James, its called adjusting. Millions of us go to work every day for a lot less than you get paid and get the rules changed on us without any notice. We may not get fined but we deal with it b/c we are adults & its our job. If we don’t like it and can’t adjust then we get a new job. You want to play in NFL, adjust to their rules however unfair you think they are. Otherwise retire. Meanwhile, stop whining.

35. Cassie
    October 21, 2010 1:08 pm

I’m openly a hockey fan where fighting is allowed and if you draw blood during play you get a 4 minute major. Football is so stop and go and so hard to hit that it’s almost impossible to know if someone is ‘going for helmet to helmet’ or not. (Unless they make comments.)

Sure, you slow it down a million times and replay it, it makes the player out to look like a head hunter. Is he? Only Harrison knows that. Is this right? I don’t know. Should he shut up? Hell yes.

He makes millions to do a job. A job I don’t fully agree with because I think cops, paramedics, firefighters, nurses…should make millions. If he feels the need to retire, he’ll do just fine monetarily. But I don’t think he’ll ever really love his decision to walk away. The NFL is doing this simply to make it look like they care about their players. It seems to me they’ve dug a hole so deep these days with suspending players that they need some ‘good press.’

And is it just me? Or does it seem like the Steelers are being used to make an example by the NFL?

36. Mike
    October 21, 2010 1:11 pm

I just see this as a player being frustrated, and saying something he normally wouldn’t say. Frustrated because he’s “being made an example of” for what he (and a large portion of the league)think were good, clean football hits. Frustrated because while no one wants to see players injured, it’s inherently unfair to pick out a few players to punish just because there were a lot of injuries on a particular day.
    When people are frustrated, they sometimes say dumb stuff. I do it. You all do it. Please let us all know if any of you have never done something stupid out of frustration. The difference is that when we do it, the press isn’t there, waiting to over hype it. When we do it, there aren’t 2 million bloggers, waiting for the opportunity to put us in our place.
    So he said something stupid, and now it’s over. Can we move on to the next unimportant, over-hyped shiny object that will grip our attention for a few hours?

37. Bill from Hanover
    October 21, 2010 1:11 pm

I am surprised to see so much negative around James Harrison. Come on folks, this is our Steeler Team we are talking about.

That hit should not have resulted in a fine, especially to the tune of 75K.

I am very disppointed with some of you folks and to call yourself a Pittsburgher, is pure BS.

38. Duncan
    October 21, 2010 1:32 pm

@ Bill – it was $75k ’cause it wasn’t his first offense.

I am ALL for the hitting and James Harrison (although the whinning bothers me). He is just going to have to adjust to paying fines. He didn’t get penalized for either of the plays – what the refs are watching for are different than what the NFL is basing or leveeing these fines on (at least that was the explanation I heard this am on the radio).

To all you hockey fans (and I consider myself one too) – this isn’t a lot different from the NHL for leveeing fines and suspensions for head shots.

39. Erin
    October 21, 2010 1:35 pm

I agree with Sheila. Part of being a good football player is knowing how to play within the confines of the rules of the game. It’s not a free-for-all out there. It’s easier to tackle someone willy-nilly than it is to think about how you need to tackle them to make it a legal hit (not saying JH’s weren’t legal; I haven’t studied them enough to make that call).
    But also, he was making millions of dollars during his time in the NFL. Let’s not act like he’s so noble for being willing to walk away from it all. If he’s had half a brain he’s invested his money so he can live the rest of his life without working. Not so bad.

40. Pa-pop
    October 21, 2010 1:36 pm

I agree with your “If you’re worth the money…” assessment. Timeless advice. Old school. Like “just man-up and take your base after you get hit and don’t charge the mound.” However, the point of view that James Harrison is a petulant, over-sensitive pouter is off the mark. He excels at a game of controlled and escalating violence and knows one way to play it. When you operate at his level of ability, training and experience, you are bound to find a very keen amount of frustration in his situation.

Mike Tomlin did the right thing in sending Harrison home to blow off steam. And Silverback is free to express his opinions and feelings to the media as often as he wants if he chooses. There is nothing that he said that is not illustrative of key elements involved in the controversy surrounding “illegal hits” and rules changes. It unquestionably gave the conversation additional traction.

Harrison is bright enough to put things in perspective and figure things out. Retirement was a legitimate thought, but it was expressed in the heat of the moment. It was said. It’s over. He’s back. My guess is he’ll live up to his own words to Fox’s Tony Bruno and “start from square one on … how to make a tackle by NFL rules.”

I have no qualms over Harrison’s actions of the last few days, and if anyone still has misgivings about how the game is played, then Mr. Lambert will come and explain it to you.

One last thought: If hits to the head and knees are outlawed, how soon will it be until we are discussing the rash (so to speak) of testicular injuries?

41. Ugh 2: Electric Boogaloo
    October 21, 2010 1:37 pm

@Duncan

Here’s the deal…the fines are absolutely ridiculous for reasons I’ll get into later.

But players are now facing suspension for clean hits. That’s the problem. If Harrison hits a Dolphins player cleanly and knocks him out, he can get suspended for doing nothing wrong.

As for the fines…the NFL refuses to pay players’ workman’s compensation claims, it refuses to provide health insurance to retired players, and it currently forces players to play three full NFL seasons in order to become vested and receive health coverage. If they expand the season to 18 games they expect the players to now play six additional regular season games in order to become vested.

This is a league that does NOT care about the health of its players. It cares about PR and money, nothing more, nothing less.

To take $75,000 away from a player for doing his job (and providing big hits that the league then markets to attract viewers) and refusing to help these players out after their career is over is ridiculous.

42. Just A Simple Man
    October 21, 2010 1:41 pm

@35 – “Millions of us go to work every day for a lot less than you get paid and get the rules changed on us without any notice. We may not get fined but we deal with it b/c we are adults & its our job. If we don’t like it and can’t adjust then we get a new job.”

Since sports deals a lot with muscle memory and instinct, the impact of the league saying on Wednesday beginning on Sunday if you XYZ you will be and they specifically said be Suspended, is very big.
    That will be a challenge for anyone playing the game on the defensive side of the ball. Especially since there are still no real clear cut definitions set in place as to what is going to get them suspended.
    It would be like your boss telling you after 20 years of doing in this way, I want you to do it that way. Oh, by the way, don’t mess up we may suspend you (if the legal action seems to “devastating” for us(Anderson says he was mis quoted). It depends how we feel that day and how much pressure from the media we’re getting.
    Feeling any stress…

43. PensFan024
    October 21, 2010 1:50 pm

The problem I have with his statements is that he was not taught to tackle that way. Although I am guilty of glorifying those hits, they are absolutely not fundamental. How many times have we seen a guy bounce off of Clark because he tackles the same way? From Pop Warner on you are taught to tackle between the hips and the numbers, back strait, wrap your arms, put your hat on the ball.

44. Timmy
    October 21, 2010 1:52 pm

How dumb are the people comparing Harrison getting fined 75k to a normal person getting fined around 1k. Applying the same logic… he would spend around 400k a year on cars, around 800k a year on his house, etc. etc.

45. Ugh 2: Electric Boogaloo
    October 21, 2010 2:04 pm

@PensFan024

Continue being a Pens fan because football isn’t your thing.

Harrison was trying to separate Massaquoi from the ball. He wasn’t trying to tackle him. He was trying to hit Massaquoi in the chest to knock the ball loose and make the pass incomplete. Massaquoi ducked, Harrison’s shoulder caught him in the head. It was an accident and it was the fault of the receiver and the QB. Not Harrison.

@Timmy

A normal person would have a job that they could conceivably do until they are in their 60s. They would have health insurance and medical coverage for that entire time.

NFL players do not. If they have any health problems after they retire they better hope they have money saved up because they cannot count on the NFL to take care of them.

46. empirechick
    October 21, 2010 2:13 pm

@PensFan024 –

Amen, brother! (or sister!)

47. Scott
    October 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Ugh2, show me in our 1-loss record this season where we’re missing Faneca…the Steelers are playing the best football in the league without him and I have yet to even hear his name come up in any Steelers discussion in the past 6+ months.

The point applies to any number of former Steelers who were considered current stars and were let go or left the team. It has never been a problem. The Steelers have the best personnel staff in the league and while I love Harrison, I am confident the Steelers will keep right on winning if he decides to retire.

48. Scott
    October 21, 2010 2:20 pm

Cassie, it is a 5 minute major in hockey. Just sayin’…

49. Ugh 2: Electric Boogaloo
    October 21, 2010 2:29 pm

@Scott

First off it’s win-loss.

Secondly, you can’t just go by the win-loss record. Until the season the Steelers offensive line was awful at run blocking, Faneca’s strength. Chris Kemoeatu is a decent player. He isn’t half as good as Faneca was. Faneca is a Hall of Fame guard. There isn’t a single player on the Steelers offensive line right now you can say that about.

The Steelers have been fine without Faneca, there’s not debate there. But to act like they were able to replace him without a problem is idiotic.

And to act like the Steelers would be easily able to replace James Harrison, the best outside linebacker in the NFL who is still in his prime, is just as idiotic.

The players the Steelers let go and replaced before were guys nearing the end of their careers or guys who were solid starters for us.

Outside of Alan Faneca, who has always struggled with pass protection, they have not had to replace someone who is the best in the league at their position.

And when it came to Faneca, they have not replaced him. They’re fine without him, but they have not replaced him with a talent even close to being his equal.