Random n’at.

1.The video quality sucks because it’s oriented for an iPhone, but I risked my sister’s wrath and put up the video of her freaking out over a spider.

Apparently what happened was she sucked up a huge spider with her canister vacuum and then she watched in horror as the spider crawled back out.

Of course my brother in law tortured her with the spider to the point where she practically peed her pants a little. She hid in the bathroom where he and my nephew found her and decided to throw the spider at her again.

Poor dear.

YouTube Preview Image

I wonder if Depends needs a new spokesperson.

2. Today’s Living Social Pittsburgh (like Groupon) deal is 50% off at Las Velas!

Must buy the deal by midnight.

3. People get all in a huff when I joke about kicking pigeons, but no one is out there threatening a boycott of libraries carrying this book. also known as “My Other Bible.”

Internet, surprisingly, I have no killing rack.

[runs to Amazon.com]

(h/t Shawn and a few others whose emails are lost)

4. Video highlights of Mike Tomlin’s playing days at William and Mary. The verdict? Not a chunk.

YouTube Preview Image

(h/t George)

5. My self-united husband Matt Lamanna isn’t the only local dinosaur man putting Pittsburgh on the … dinosaur … map … or something.

Chatham University’s Mike Habib, who I’ve met, is another. Technically, he’s a biomechanist who also studies paleontology and robotics and about a million other things he told me that I can’t recall because I was too exhausted just listening to how busy he is.

He’s helped out on Hollywood projects related to dinosaurs, and is also Matt Lamanna’s friend (who I haven’t met yet.)

His latest research, featured on Wired and National Geographic, is mind-boggling:

Predating jet travel by at least 65 million years wasn’t a problem for the biggest pterosaurs. These prehistoric creatures might have been able to fly up to 10,000 miles nonstop, according to research presented Oct. 10 at the annual meeting of the Society for Vertebrate Paleontology.

The original elite flyers included four species of what biomechanist Michael Habib, of Chatham University in Pittsburgh, calls supergiant pterosaurs … they stood about as tall as a modern giraffe and launched into the air spreading membrane wings to a total span of roughly 10 meters [33 feet].

A dinosaur that could fly 10,000 miles non-stop. FINALLY, a direct flight around the world with no need for refueling.

But that’s not the best part of the article. This quote by Mike is the best part:

Habib said. “They are truly gruesomely huge by bird and bat standards.”

Take a note. Gruesomely huge is the new ginormous. The new gargantuan. The new morbidly obese. The new Brobdingnagian

Next time a waitress puts a hamburger in front of me that’s as big as my face, I’ll say, “Whoa. This is TRULY GRUESOMELY HUGE.”

6. Don’t forget that the Ti Kanaval fundraiser for Jamie and Ali McMutrie’s Haitian Orphan Rescue is November 13 at Whim. We’re busy with planning the details, but you can find the basics here until the web page for the event launches.

It is an extremely affordable ticket at only $10 and will be available for purchase next week via EventBrite.

I’ll give you the link once it’s up.

Some faces confirmed to be there: Mikey and Big Bob, PunchLine, Miss PA USA 2010 and Smoking Hot Burgher Gina Cerilli, and Ian Rosenberger. More will be listed soon as confirmations come in.

7. As I mentioned on twitter, my Keurig stopped working yesterday, sending me into caffeine-withdrawal shakes. This morning, it was still on the fritz, so I tried the Fonz move on it, gave it a bop … and it worked.

So now that I know what my superpower is, does anyone have any broken shit they need punched?

1. ddesigns
    October 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Run vinegar thru the keurig a few times then regular water to get vinegar taste/smell out. (might have to do this two times) Then in the future make sure you always use filtered water if your Keurig does not have a filter. Should fix it!

If all else fails call them, their customer service is always good.

October 21, 2010 2:31 pm

She looks like she’s laughing, which kind of negates the fear factor.

3. PA Girl in VA
    October 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Ginny, I don’t know my way around downtown PGH very well and my hubby, who grew up there, can’t find his way out of a paper bag. Any chance you can hook me up with GOOD directions (and not just the Google or Mapquest kind – directions from someone who’s actually driven there before) from the North Shore (Bellevue/Ohio River Blvd south) to Las Velas?? If so, my email address is vdaybabee@cox.net.

Thanks so much! Hope to use my Living Social deal over the Thanksgiving weekend!!

4. Tiffany
    October 21, 2010 3:08 pm

regarding your last question, I think my mother in law is broken. I’m just sayin.

5. Jim K
    October 21, 2010 3:24 pm

does anyone have any broken shit they need punched?

PAT?

6. Lauren
    October 21, 2010 3:25 pm

If you could punch the entire United States government for all of us, I think we’d owe you an extreme debt of gratitude.

7. Butcher's Dog
    October 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Speaking of the government, there’s only one logical conclusion to be drawn from the current spate of political ads, if we assume that every single word in every single one of them is 100% true. The conclusion is this:

Either way, we’re screwed.

Because the loser isn’t going to come back in two years (or four or six) and say, “Um, I guess I was wrong and my opponent back then really isn’t the Antichrist.” On the up side, though, the fact that we’re screwed either way (meaning regardless of who wins) makes the whole Mayan Calendar end-of-days thing make a lot more sense.

Seriously, I’m so old I remember when the news and other TV shows were sponsored by companies with products to sell. Guess that dates me, eh?

8. bluzdude
    October 21, 2010 4:30 pm

does anyone have any broken shit they need punched?

I was going to say Jeff Reed but maybe someone beat you to it over the last 2 weeks.

9. Sooska
    October 21, 2010 5:47 pm

#1 spider in bathroom: not as good as the spider in the bathroom scene from “Annie Hall” watch to the end

10. steeler_tom
    October 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Spider video? Sorry I’m with your sister on this one. Had it been me in her place your brother in law would be a bloody pulp. I just sayin I can’t be held for my actions in a situation like that. I HATE spiders….

11. JennyMoon
    October 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I am in shock that someone needs directions from Bellevue to Market Square.

12. spoon
    October 22, 2010 2:04 pm

@JennyMoon I know someone who has lived in Pittsburgh for 41 years in the North Hills and she doesnt know where Monroeville is.

13. Burghthing
    October 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Used my Velas coupon tonight. 2 words, ‘stuffed’ and ‘YUM’.