Ice ice, baby.

UPDATE: And, it’s gone. It was there. I swear it was there. I confirmed three different ways that it was there. I even went in from the main NHL shop page and searched “ice” and it popped up, but now it’s gone. SMOKE AND MIRRORS AND POLAR BEAR TEARS, YOU GUYS.

_________________________

I know nothing about ice.

I mean, I know about ice, but I don’t know anything about hockey ice.

I assumed they filled the arena with water, froze it with a super duper Frozone machine, and then when they had an event like a concert or what not, that they melted it, threw the old water away, put in new water, lather, rinse, repeat.

So I researched it because everything on the Internet is true.

And lo and behold, I was really really really REALLY wrong. Couldn’t have been more wrong unless I said the ice was frozen polar bear pee or penguin tears.

Regardless, now you, Internet, can own a bottle of Mellon Arena ice!

I love it! It’s a gorgeous bottle! It looks like vodka!

I want to drink it!

But I’m afraid it might be polar bear pee.

(h/t James)

1. Dan (Not Onarato)
    October 22, 2010 12:30 pm

So thats what that guy was doing near the Mon yesterday with all those little bottles…

2. Emily
    October 22, 2010 12:35 pm

ACK!!! Why doesn’t this link work?? Is it sold out already??

3. Pa-pop
    October 22, 2010 12:37 pm

I saw this in my PeNS email this morning and – while I think it’s a nice idea and possibly a cool keepsake (so to speak) – I became immediately skeptical about the Igloo crew’s ability to drain, collect and save thousands of gallons of alleged Civic Arena ice. I’d like photo documentation, please. :) Meanwhile, I’ll go with the novel concept of polar bear pee.

4. Virginia
    October 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I updated the post. I too was skeptical because the picture didn’t look right.

So I searched for “ice” from the main NHL Shop page and it popped up under the search results.

But now it’s gone.

Hmmm.

5. empirechick
    October 22, 2010 1:04 pm

they had them at the arena shops last week – maybe they’re sold out already…

6. BB
    October 22, 2010 1:19 pm

i swear this morning when i looked at this via my pens email it said it was $5.99. i’ve kept the window open and just checked it. without refreshing it. it now says $39.99. phshh. i would have bought it for $6. but $40? no thanks. i’ll put some water in a jug and tell my husband it’s the same thing.

7. bluzdude
    October 22, 2010 2:46 pm

But still… wouldn’t that have been a great idea?

But what happens if your kid spills it? Or drinks it? It could have molecules of hockey player blood in it. Suddenly the child would be prone to pulling your shirt over your head and wailing on you.

Then you’d have to send him to his room for 5 minutes.

8. Butcher's Dog
    October 22, 2010 3:10 pm

@pa-poop: the video which was shown opening night showed them scraping off the ice, etc. You can probably access it through the web site. It’s the visual proof that the product is genuine. Video ended with the lights coming up on Mario dumping a little bottle, exactly like the one shown, onto the Consol Center ice.

9. ErinG
    October 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Nicely played Rick-Roll Ginny!

10. G-Man
    October 22, 2010 8:47 pm

During my college days (1967-71) I worked at Civic Arena and helped both make and remove the hockey ice. Normally, old ice was just allowed ot soften and then we broke it up by scoring it with a tractor and a blade and then moving it over to the melt pits (under removable A-section seats) with a front end loader the way old asphalt is removed from streets. To keep some of the water for something like this I’m sure they just ran the Zamboni, scraping it over and over without laying new water. Then collect and melt the snow from the Zamboni. This would explain why the bottled water does not have melted red, white blue and gold paint clouding it. The painte is at the very bottom near the terraza floor.

11. Pa-pop
    October 22, 2010 11:57 pm

@Butcher’s Dong: Watch your spelling! :)

October 23, 2010 1:22 am

Like the Pet Rock and the chunk of the Berlin Wall and Tickle-Me Elmo, proof once again that maybe the Democrats are right: We really don’t pay enough in taxes.

I’d rather drink polar bear pee than what’s in the bottle, if it really has hockey ice (sweat, spit, tears and blood) in it.

13. mr. mackey
    October 23, 2010 3:08 pm

what WON’T they sell? how’s about my ball sweat?

14. Jim
    October 23, 2010 3:24 pm

Annnnnnd it’s back! At least as of this moment, the link is live again.

October 23, 2010 10:42 pm

I’d much rather have a Molson Ice, thank you.

16. spoon
    October 23, 2010 10:51 pm

its leftover kevin stevens bong water