A day I’ll never forget

My column that appears in the November issue of Pittsburgh Magazine is available online now for your reading pleasure, this one about my experience doing drills with the men of Munhall Volunteer Fire Co. No. 4.

Available soon will be a slideshow for viewing along with a post giving more thoughts on the the experience, including a few things that didn’t make the column, the things that were going through my head as I sweated to near-death, and how I didn’t realize the chief was the chief. I thought fire chiefs were 60-year-old husky mustachioed gruff men. Not 28-year-old tall, strapping men like Chief Rogers:

A snippet of the column:

I don’t know at what point all of that turned into my body entering its own self-contained furnace, but I didn’t make one cute little face during those three grueling hours, and any thought of appearing adorable disappeared when the last drop of my makeup melted off my face like something out of an Indiana Jones movie.

Chicken-cooking pants are also mentioned.

Go have a read!

1. beebewitz
    October 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Great article! And, btw, don’t give up too soon on firefighting . . . you could totally do it! And just think of what a straight stream would do to a pigeon . . .

2. gunnlino
    October 25, 2010 12:33 pm

Cute as you are in your turnout gear you should publish a calendar with you and your sisters in various gear and uniforms. I’m seeing it selling like crazy and the proceeds could go to Make Room for Kids.
    Maybe a Pittsburgh P.D. uniform, Steelers, Pens, Pirates , ( well OK, maybe not the Pirates).

3. Cassie
    October 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Why are all the comments flagged again? It’s not very funny.

4. Cassie
    October 25, 2010 12:38 pm

However, the article was great. I love people who do what they do because they are selfless. Makes me all warm and fuzzy and safe-feeling.

5. Jim Paek is my hero
    October 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Great article Ginny, and good choice to go with Munhall #4. Growing up in Munhall, we have always been known to have great fire departments. I know Chief Rogers well, we went to high school together, and I can honestly say that he is the most selfless person you would ever meet.

6. Jess
    October 25, 2010 12:44 pm

I’ve known “Chief” Rodgers and his family for a very long time – he’s a great guy. His brother is also a firefighter, with the Air Force.

7. T
    October 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Awesome – my kids go to school about a block away from the Munhall #4 Fire Station. Despite having a Munhall/Homestead zip code, I actually live in the city of Pittsburgh (figure that one out!). So I get the opposite reaction as you Ginny wrt where I live.

8. LS
    October 26, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks to all the wonderful heros at Munhall #4 my house stands strong today after a fire a few years ago. I don’t know where I’d be if it wasn’t for them!

October 26, 2010 10:11 am

I didn’t make one cute little face during those three grueling hours,

How many did you make? I mean, I know you can’t help it, that’s just how you look.

10. Larry
    October 26, 2010 1:04 pm

With all the “inappropriate flagging” going on over there, I figured it was better to put this comment here.

Anybody else think “umm… Ginny?” when they read the sentence that began “It was about 10 o’clock at night when I was watching the men clean up, and I thought to myself that being this hot, this sweaty”…?

;^)