Random n’at

(Click here for the full image. Sexhair.)

1.  I’m just telling you that the new Pretzel M & M’s are addictive and delicious and … gone. [burp]

2. Sean Conboy’s interview with Kris Letang (French for The WOWZA) is fantastic.

But it’s the photo gallery that makes you want to lick your monitor.

Refrain yourself.

It tastes terrible. I presume.

3. A mother of an autistic child in the Mt. Lebanon School District has scanned in a page from her child’s recent evaluation by the school and let’s just say, some parts are impossible to make sense of, some parts have ludicrous spelling mistakes, and some parts, well, I’m pretty sure it’s written in LOLspeak.

WTF?

In the wise words of George Bush, “Is our children learning?”

(h/t Kathy)

4. Today’s word of the day is …

FUMBLEDOOZIE

Coined by Ed Bouchette and defined by me as a doozy of a fumble that royally mucks shit up. Or outside of football, an action by a person that royally mucks shit up.

FUMBLEDOOZIE

Use it in a sentence today!

(h/t Tracy)

5.  Troysus has his own app now. See what you’d look like with the hair of the archangel Gabriel.

At least that’s what I’m assuming angel hair looks like.

(h/t John and Anita)

6. If you’re looking for an unoccupied wooden casket, look no further than Cecil!

If however you’re in the market for an OCCUPIED wooden casket, we can’t help you. Try the ScareHouse.

Also, “other” household items? LOL.

(h/t Lisa)

7.  The bottled polar bear pee is available again!

I guess they had to find more polar bears.

(h/t Kathleen)

8. Jamie Dixon pulled a wreck victim from a smoking car that had flipped over several times.

He said he only did what anyone else in Pittsburgh would have done, but I beg to differ, because lots of people would look at smoke coming from a wrecked vehicle and assume that where there’s smoke, there is fire and where there is fire, there will be KABOOM.

He’s a hero.

9. CCAC’s North Campus closed down because a dude walked into class with a bedbug on his person.

HOW DO THEY KNOW IT WASN’T HIS PET?!

Either way, lots of college students who don’t want to have class tomorrow just got a BRILLIANT idea.

Also, I’m wondering, if a bedbug and a stinkbug have a cage match to the death, who wins?

I have a stinkbug named Ray who is adamant he could take this bedbug fellow.

1. Beth
    October 27, 2010 3:50 pm

I’m convince pretzel M & M’s have crack in them. So just be careful.

2. Beth
    October 27, 2010 3:51 pm

And also, I’m convinced.

3. Sara
    October 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Tht report from MTLSD is shameful. Seriously, someone from the school district should really address that evaluation. It’s called spell check. Completely unacceptable.

4. bluzdude
    October 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Marketing idea for #7: Each bottle may also contain real live sweat molecules from actual Penguin players, including he who is pictured above.

Just think of the cloning possibilities…

5. red pen mama
    October 27, 2010 4:22 pm

#2. oh, those kris letang pics. *sigh*

#3. My husband does those types of evaluations, and he is meticulous about spelling and grammar. There is no excuse for that kind of carelessness. A child’s care and education is riding on those documents. The school district should take immediate steps to address that.

#1. I really want to like pretzel m&m’s, but they are not doing it for me right now. Pregnancy is weird.

6. SpudDad
    October 27, 2010 4:48 pm

#9 4,000 QUATLOOS ON THE STINKBUG!

7. Cassie
    October 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Dixon IS a hero.

October 27, 2010 5:20 pm

#7: $39.99. for water.

OOOOOOOOOOOOONLY IN AMERICA!!!

9. Sooska
    October 27, 2010 5:24 pm

#1 – Now see, I found the pretzel M&M disappointing and bland. Too sweet – the chocolate- salt balance is out of whack. They don’t hold a candle to Sarris’ Dark Chocolate covered Pretzels.

#2 KTang- not too sweet. just right.

#3 As a non-typist I can sympathize to a degree, but that is so totally unprofessional. Most people would be severely reprimanded for giving that to a client, even as a rough draft. shameful.

#4 my word for that, which I coined during Pens games in the early 90s, is “bumblefuck.” you get the picture. They still do it – especially on the PP and my dear Geno sometimes has a night like that. Ed’s is more usable in polite company.

#6 unoccupied, no problem. but was it ever used?

#9 stinkbug eats that sucker’s lunch.

10. Former Teacher
    October 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Honestly, I am not surprised about the student report. I remember getting a stack of them for my students with individual education plans and was shocked by not just the number of mechanical mistakes but also the lack of coherence in general – and I was supposed to adapt my teaching instruction to meet these (legal) documents! Not to mention the kind of mentality this sets for the student (once a student is high school age he or she has access to the IEP): oh, coherence and standards don’t matter.

It’s really sad. :( (Of course, I only experienced this with a few special education teachers – most of them were absolutely wonderful, if swamped).

11. NullRegister
    October 27, 2010 8:03 pm

There is more to proofreading than invoking the spell checker.

“Dew not truss your spill chucker, you’re spill chucker makes ewe seam like an ill iterate fuel.” mcgrew, http://bit.ly/at4ZDG

October 27, 2010 11:16 pm

4. I’ll see your Fumbledoozie and raise you a Bummerooski.

13. Noelle
    October 27, 2010 11:17 pm

My stinkbug James (we call him Jim) can take your stink bug Ray DOWN. Stink bug cage matchpalozza. Boo Ya.

14. Cindy T.
    October 28, 2010 6:42 am

My stink bugs, Henry and Walter, have died. Maybe I could get the casket from Cecil…

15. tim
    October 28, 2010 9:16 am

You are crazy :-)

You’re readers are crazy :-) :-)

I love this blog :-) :-) :-)

16. burgher-licious
    October 28, 2010 12:08 pm

Letang’s Pregame routine: I take a shower and try to clear my head…….thanks my day is now a total loss….YUMMY:)

17. Noelle
    October 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Letang’s the shit but I do NOT agree that denim loafers are stylish. Blech.

18. CrashJK
    October 28, 2010 1:35 pm

@Noelle – damn…I was thinking the denim loafers might be the ticket to get Mrs. Crash all hot and bothered… : (

19. Noelle
    October 28, 2010 2:04 pm

@CrashJK – I’m no fashion expert. I wouldn’t go with my opinion alone on this one.

20. Therapist-husband
    October 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Total dick move to publicly clown the therapist who spent several hours writing a multi-page, personalized report and plan to help the child achieve his developmental potential.

That therapist probably has to write those reports for ~60 kids in as many days while treating and evaluating them and others, all while making a whopping $40K/yr with a highly technical skill-set.

The ungrateful mother should thank her lucky stars that her son is blessed to be in such an affluent school district in a time when progressive techniques are available.

Is she completely oblivious to the plight that he’d face in Pittsburgh Public or other districts?

Some people are never satisfied.

This is analogous to ridiculing a doctor for his handwriting or his foreign accent. Not one of those typos was substantive or really all that egregious, imho.

Me, I’d be more concerned with the diagnosis and treatment.

With parents like this, it’s no wonder districts can’t hold onto therapists who can make $90k in long-term and urgent care market.

A new therapist every year will be great for little Johnny’s social anxiety. I’m sure seeing their typos spread on the net will make them bend over backwards for you now. Way to go mom.

My wife was a therapist in a school, 6-8 months pregnant, pouring her heart out, working twelve hour days for months in a row to get these IEPs written for some of the most challenging cases you can imagine (60-70 kids, 4-6 hours per report, you do the math). It’s amazing what they can do for these kids. But because of the never-ending demands, complaints, and laziness/ignorance-induced frustration-aggression finger-pointing, she went back to the more lucrative and enjoyable market of treating adults.

Can you say coun-ter-pro-duc-tive?

21. B
    October 28, 2010 3:40 pm

In regards to the kid’s reevaluation report… The author most likely wrote it using IEP Writer (a program many districts use to assist with Special Education paperwork– very misleading title as it does NOT write for you, it also doesn’t have a spell check option). That being said, several people should have reviewed it before a copy was given to the parents (assuming at least one would notice the errors and then ensure they would be fixed). In several districts, special education teachers are the ones required to not only keep up with their caseload of students/teaching/lesson planning/etc., but they are also required to perform the evaluations and write the reports as well. Someone should have proofread the report, but don’t call in the firing squad.

22. Spuddad
    October 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Sorry, but ANY educational professional who can’t write clearly and spell correctly needs to get their own remedial education before being allowed to influence children. Same goes for doctors who can’t spell the drugs they prescribe or dictate (dictate!) a coherent report.

It might well be that “some people are never satisfied,” but if you claim to be a professional of any sort, not being able to communicate clearly and cleanly with your client base is a flashing neon sign saying “UNPROFESSIONAL–DO NOT TRUST ME.”

23. LegallyPgh(Kathy)
    October 28, 2010 7:10 pm

You are right Therpist’s Husband, “some people are never satisfied.” And as a mother, I would NOT BE SATISFIED until I was certain my child was getting the BEST education possible. Looking at that report, and the followup errors (hello, they sent the “confidential” report to the wrong e-mail address!), I would most definitely NOT be satisfied. The “dick move” is reading about it and then being offended that the mom would have the nerve to be upset. If your wife feels the same as you, I hope she has since changed jobs.

24. Not a Lebo Grad
    October 28, 2010 10:04 pm

For an update on that horrible report, check out Blog Lebo.

Sadly, the errors did not end with the original report. Read on for more comic relief.

Having lived in Mt. Lebanon for years, there is definitely an air of superiority by the residents in regard to their award-winning school district.

25. Emilie
    October 29, 2010 9:23 am

What saddens me about this evaluation is that this report was important for the Stang family to have Niko placed in a school that will provider him with a better education and experience based on his autism. Because of this pathetic report, he was denied admission to that school. It’s not right. I hope that the Tillotson school will reconsider Niko’s application so that he can get the education he deserves.

26. Pam
    October 29, 2010 10:14 am

Pretzel M&M’s are the biggest let down in all of candy history. Every woman knows that the ultimate PMS food is any combination of something sweet mixed with something salty. Personally, I don’t think there is enough of each. They taste like little balls of sand in a candy coating. Now the Take 5 bar…. that’s a different story!