We’re number one.

According to Yahoo!, BestPlaces.net has ranked the top ten cities to move to in America and guess who’s number one?

We’re number one.

Thoughts:

1. I’d like to never again see the phrase, “Pittsburgh, like Buffalo …” unless it is to say, “Pittsburgh, like Buffalo, will be getting America’s first new Zima production facility.”

2. My favorite part:

and it’s at low risk for a natural disaster such as an earthquake, hurricane or tornado.

And it should have ended with, “… much to Julie Bologna’s chagrin.”

3. Suck it, America.

(h/t Cari)

1. Spuddad
    October 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Ahem. Allow me to prepare myself.

SUCK IT, CLEVELAND!

Thank you.

2. Just A Simple Man
    October 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Well, there goes the neighborhood if they keep letting everyone know our secrets….

3. tinyski
    October 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Woops, missed us, we are 27th….

4. bluzdude
    October 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Everyone knows the refs, I mean “judges” at BestPlace are biased towards Pittsburgh.

5. dand
    October 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Apparently climate doesn’t factor in to BestPlaces.com’s rankings. I mean, I miss Pittsburgh a lot since moving to DC, but definitely not the crappy winter. And then #2 is Buffalo?!

6. Scott
    October 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Yeah dand, ’cause DC’s weather is so different from Pittsburgh.

7. Chris Hilf
    October 28, 2010 1:43 pm

How can two different cities be ‘first’ to get a new Zima facility?

That’s like something being ‘fuller’. Or a Möbius strip.

8. MrsGJG
    October 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Yes, I would say that DC’s weather is sucky in the winter. Not exactly tropical.

But Buffalo has horrible weather and they’re #2. Wait, Buffalo is #2? WTF.

October 28, 2010 2:16 pm

dc’s weather doesn’t stay sucky as long as pittsburgh’s does.

but, at least, it’s 3 times as expensive.

10. Marc
    October 28, 2010 2:38 pm

@Unsatisfied and Dand
    I was in DC for the past 4 years. If the winter is any better there, it’s not by nearly enough to brag about. Besides, DC actually got smacked worse by the Snowmaggedon, Snowgasm, Snow-my-GOD last year than Pittsburgh

11. toni
    October 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Suck it Daniel Tosh……..

12. Magnus Patris
    October 28, 2010 2:58 pm

I lived in DC for 22 years. The winters there were not nearly as bad (a relative term; I like snow) as Pittsburgh. DC’s winters were punctuated by many 75 degree days scattered throughout. I only remember it going below 0° a few times in all those years. The problem with DC was that everyone there PANICKED anytime a drop of precipitation fell. Once school was cancelled for all of Northern Virginia, DC and suburban Maryland because of the threat of snow. It rained for about a half hour. The night before there were fistfights in the parking lots of grocery stores as people stocked up for Armageddon.

13. Butcher's Dog
    October 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Buffalo’s being number 2 can only add to Cleveland’s anguish. So let’s embrace Buffalo’s number-two-ness.

14. NullRegister
    October 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Actually, Buffalo gets a bad rap for snow. The bulk of the population areas don’t see as much snow as outsiders think. Football broadcasts are misleading since the stadium is actually way outside the city and in the snow belt. It is not uncommon for the stadium to be hammered and the city to be spared. ’77 was due to a wind shift which unexpectedly moved the snow band north into the city. Also, the summers are very nice – the lake keeps the temperatures very comfortable.

15. Triz
    October 28, 2010 4:09 pm

I just moved to Pittsburgh and I think it’s awesome.

16. Noelle
    October 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Welcome Triz! I moved here 8 years ago from DC and wild horses will have to drag me out of here if it ever comes down to it.

I thought my realtor was showing me houses without roofs for the price they were asking. I had such reverse sticker shock I almost said “are you sure I can’t give you an additional 50K for it?”

17. Molly
    October 28, 2010 4:32 pm

too bad this wasn’t published 3 years ago when i moved to the burgh.
    my dad HATES it here for no reason. i should show him this!

18. Stacie
    October 28, 2010 4:36 pm

SUCK IT TOSH.0!!

19. Clair
    October 28, 2010 4:37 pm

oh if only there was a good job for the hubby so I could move home again. I grew up in the ‘Burgh but Hubs grew up in AZ and likes it out here in northern Virginia (you know, 4 seasons and all lol) but we’d both LOVE to be able to move to Pittsburgh. Maybe some day….

20. gunnlino
    October 28, 2010 4:51 pm

I’ve been to DC and rode the underground, I’ve never been to Buffalo so I can’t say, but having lived in the ‘Burgh for a long time I can say that the public transportation system is in tatters, sucks and is a disaster. Only a street every so and so has a street sign. City services, on the whole, considering the tax structure, also suck ( think snow removal and potholes, orange cones ). After 7 PM dahntawn is a shithole.

So…. #1 ? I think the math should be re done .

Don’t get me wrong, I like it here. But #1. NOT

21. Silica
    October 28, 2010 9:57 pm

The weather is actually fairly mild here. Warm summers, but not unbearably hot for weeks on end, and cold/snowy winters, but not unbearably so (for weeks on end – storms happen no matter where you live.)

This coming from someone who’s lived in upstate NY and Ontario. I actually miss the feet and feet of snow. Gray and muddy should be limited to March only, not from November to April with slushy yellow/brown snow. Yuck. :P

That said, I do love (almost!) everything else about living here! :)

22. Kacie
    October 28, 2010 11:37 pm

The weather here is surprisingly not bad. I’m from Indiana (the state, not the friggin county) and summers there are hot and seriously humid. Here? Psh! Mild and pleasant! Barely hot enough to go swimming ever.

Last winter we had a sucky snow of course, but the other winters I’ve spent here haven’t been that big of a deal. Yay!

That said…I think that while housing might be cheaper than national averages, I don’t plan on buying a house here. In many areas, houses are SO OLD and needs lots of work. And are teeny tiny. And can we talk about property taxes for a second?

They are out of control! High property taxes and the threat of them increasing made us reconsider buying last year.

So we’re hoping to move back to Indiana next year to be closer to family, but it’s also going to be WAY more affordable. Who wants to spend $4k/year on property taxes when you could spend less than $1k for a nicer house?

23. Mrs. McBeam
    October 29, 2010 9:15 am

Yet another bulletpoint for a Ravenstahl campaign flyer. You realize all of this is because of the Golden Child…clearly.

Aren’t we getting a bit carried away comparing weather with DC? DC weather isn’t exactly San Diego weather.

I shouldn’t grip because we did make #1 on the list (even though I just did).

Have a good weekend people.

24. @loosgroov
    October 29, 2010 5:02 pm

I recently moved from Buffalo to Pittsburgh. Which means I win.

Also, Buffalo, is not that bad. I miss it sometimes.

Pittsburgh, like Buffalo, has been home to the fabulous Kelly “loosgroov” Genet.

Pittsburgh, like Buffalo, is actually great, contrary to what hack comedians say.

…i could go on.