Another really good day

I’m going to take some time now to write about that stupid football game, but for now, I wanted to let you know that Mike and I spent some time this morning at Children’s Hospital, where we met up with Nancy of the Mario Lemieux Foundation to drop off all of the goodies we purchased with your money for Make Room for Kids.

A little photo tour of about $12,000 worth of stuff, shall we?

DVD players … we donated five of these with individual cases:

DS Lites with Nerf cases for protection. My son has dropped his DS down the stairs and it hasn’t been harmed because of the Nerf case. Love them. There are six of those that we donated.

You can also see a selection of the games we purchased there.

These movies were donated by reader Kim who had a party at her home and asked her guests to bring a family movie for donation. Isn’t that awesome?

More XBox games!

Hi, Nancy!

Mike, worshipping at the altar of the iPad. Shhh. Reverence.

As you know, we purchased five iPads for the transplant ward and then Mike facilitated a donation of these Defender Otter Box cases which will help protect the iPads should the kids accidentally drop them or whatnot. Here they are in their cases.

Here’s the library, all nicely tucked away in the IKEA carts!

And the sign-out sheet. Of course it was filled with names, but we flipped to a blank page for privacy reasons:

The four ToughBooks. Indestructible, we’re hoping.

Leapsters. There are three of those, with lots of games for the younger kids who might not be ready for a DS.

The whole enchilada:

Some of the best moments of my life have happened within the virtual walls of Make Room for Kids, and for that I really can’t thank you enough. You’ve not only gifted the kids with these tangibles, but you’ve gifted me with a very priceless intangible.

Now, that’s Phase II, as Phase I was the XBOX install with Microsoft. Phase II is 95% completed and by that I mean that we’ll continue to monitor the situation to see if any other needs arise in the transplant ward for perhaps more games or equipment. In addition, we’re working to set up a way for the hospital to access apps for the iPads without dipping into their own funds, whether that means we seek a donation from Apple or that we provide Child Life with a pool of money for app purchases, we’re not sure yet.

Phase III … just you wait and see. You won’t believe what has already happened and what we hope to do from there.

Group hug.

1. Burghthing
    November 1, 2010 3:23 pm

You are my hero, well, you and everyone else who helps out with all this. Bravo Everyone!

2. Norm
    November 1, 2010 3:24 pm

Phase III – Nintendo ups the anti with a Wii in every room?

3. Lisa
    November 1, 2010 3:27 pm

I agree 100 % with Burghthing. You are a hero!

4. Dan (Not On-a-ROT-toe)
    November 1, 2010 3:40 pm

Well done everyone!

5. Ms Redd
    November 1, 2010 3:40 pm

All I can say is “Job well done”.

6. Amy
    November 1, 2010 4:23 pm

This is a truly beautiful thing. Thank you and thanks to everyone who has contributed. You rock!

7. Frank
    November 1, 2010 4:34 pm

You really gotta stop posting stuff like this. I HATE tearing up and speaking with a cracked voice after reading about these brave little young’uns. This, from a hardened 50 yr. old guy, previously from Westmoreland County. AHHH, what am I sayin’? PLEASE keep it up & letting us know what else we can do.
    peace
    fj

8. gunnlino
    November 1, 2010 5:13 pm

You really have to continue posting stuff like this,
    ( I’m sorry Frank ). But more people have got to know what you have done and how you did it.
    Maybe someone in another city may find that they too have a heart as big as yours and the will to get it done. Maybe a few kids can have another shot at it and somebody like you takes the time and effort to make it happen.
    Your’e a good person Ms Ginny, so very special like so very few others.

9. bluzdude
    November 1, 2010 5:51 pm

Please be careful, when shooting pictures of the stacks of games, that they’re right-side-up. Otherwise I have to do a headstand on my desk to read them and that never ends well.

10. angelgirl
    November 1, 2010 7:59 pm

Girl… you born to do THIS sort of thing! Seriously… you’re gifted in organizing… writing… and making the needs known so that everyone can be involved. The thing I love the most about you — you know it has to be a TEAM effort.. a PITTSBURGH effort! Group Hug INDEED!

You Rock GIRL!!!

11. Wendielu
    November 1, 2010 8:56 pm

I’m so proud of you and how you have led the charge on this. It’s all just simply awesome.

12. ClumberKim
    November 1, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks for delivering the movies from the Disney party. It was great of Disney to give us some loot for the party, and even better of the Burgh Moms who came bearing movies for a great cause.

13. Jesse
    November 2, 2010 2:28 am

Ginny, I love reading about all of this charity for the kids at children’s hospital. As a nurse – I am very familiar with the kids that frequent the units that you and your cohort benefit and I can tell you that there is nothing more motivating for them than knowing people care, people are giving, people are loving. I love everything thing you do for our youth, I love that you involve your readership in your execution, I love that you have a sweet spot for kids because so do I. Most of all – I love that you love Da Burgh as much as I do… because it seriously makes me so proud to be born and raised around the greatest city on earth.

14. Peg
    November 2, 2010 12:46 pm

Nice job, kiddo! You are so generous to allow your readers to share in this with you. Thank you.

15. Lisa
    November 2, 2010 12:57 pm

this is so wonderful, and I hope to help in the future, I just found your blog. Love it! My son was transferred at birth to childrens hospital and I credit them with saving his life. Cant say enough good things about them!

16. Pingback: That's Church » You’re going to have to earn it.