Satire fail.

I feel like I need to apologize or something for my election post.

It was meant to be satire, and I thought that by talking about aliens and Bill Pullman and Jesus Christ and the Scarlet Letter that readers would understand that I was going over the top and was using satire to make a point and my point being this, after every election, many people paint with broad brush strokes, labeling every Republican a Bible-thumping idiot or every Democrat a tree-hugging hippie.

I was simply hoping to get the point across that there are educated and good people to be found on both sides of the political aisle. That both parties have some valid opinions. That there’s no need to panic the morning after. That checks and balances work. That the Constitution for the most part, works. That essentially every human in America wants the same things … health, prosperity, and happiness and that some find reaching that goal the most possible in one party and some find that most possible in another. It doesn’t make them bad people. I chose to try to make that point with satire, and for some, it was insulting and they’ve emailed me and let me know.

Whoops?

Next satirical post will begin with, “Disclaimer: This is satire. Do not email the author all ‘I AM UNFRIENDING YOU ON FACEBOOK, YOU BIG JERK.'”

1. Pensgirl
    November 4, 2010 10:48 am

Do not change your writing to suit the humor-impaired. Anyone who read that post and didn’t understand 1) it’s satire and 2) it didn’t actually reference a political party or real candidate is too stupid to be allowed access to the internet. Just keep on keepin’ on, and for the love of all that matters do NOT apologize.

2. Fester
    November 4, 2010 10:53 am

@ Bram R

You are referring to people like Al Gore. Right?

3. BeauJacques
    November 4, 2010 11:45 am

re:@Fester & @BramR-

And scumbag George Soros??

4. Frances Monahan
    November 4, 2010 11:47 am

Virginia — and that is why I always put a disclaimer when I write a satirical piece for my blog. Satire is very confusing to many people because it is so nuanced(especially to those who didn’t pay attention to their junior high school English teachers); a female satirist is practically mind-blowing. (Which is why they aren’t too many of them.) Write MORE satire. And don’t ever, ever apologize again for it. :-)

5. Kim
    November 4, 2010 12:31 pm

Don’t worry. The same thing happens to http://www.wonkette.com all the time and ALL they do is political satire.

6. PicaU
    November 4, 2010 12:34 pm

Ginny-

Please don’t even fret about this. It obviously wasn’t meant for the ones who didn’t “get it,” or in the words of a comedian who’s name escapes me at the moment…you can’t fix stupid.

7. saTired
    November 4, 2010 4:16 pm

Um… Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that everyone who says they got the satire are now stating how stupid everyone is that didn’t get the satire? Doesn’t that kind of go against the original post? Kind of makes me think that maybe yinz got the satire – but not the meaning?

E pluribus unum… no?

8. BeauJacques
    November 4, 2010 5:35 pm

@ saTired-

(((((( golf clap ))))))

November 4, 2010 6:48 pm

Stacie Says:
    November 4th, 2010 at 10:12 am
    So long as you don’t suggest down-and-out Burghers sell their children as food to the rich-and-powerful . . .

But … but … I got $59.95 for my kid. Would have been more but she’s on the skinny side.*

*–Clearly labeling this as satire.

10. Ekat
    November 4, 2010 7:41 pm

Well said, SaTired.

11. parkingchair
    November 5, 2010 10:25 am

@SaTired,

Not at all. I (or we, I suppose) was not responding to her original post, rather the notion that Ginny was contemplating the need to stop using satire because so many people cannot recognize it.

12. Megan
    November 5, 2010 11:45 am

@Greg — Amen to the JFK reference.

And Ginny — “never apologize for your art.”

13. Kathy
    November 5, 2010 12:40 pm

you’ve got to be kidding. Go home people… go have a consolation date with your loser candidate….