THEY ARE … PENN STATE.

Before we talk about politics and everyone goes to the comments and calls everyone of the opposing party cockroaches or demons or idiots, I wanted to get something positive up early this morning.

There’s a fun event happening in Squirrel Hill that will benefit an organization run by Penn State students who raise huge amounts of money each year for pediatric cancer: THON.

AND YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE SICK KIDS. And you know how I feel about the fact that there are college students who realize the world and its problems are astronomically bigger than their own.

Here are the details!

What: International artisans from developing countries will be selling their hand-crafted wares, perfect for holiday gifts.

Where: Ten Thousand Villages at 5824 Forbes Avenue between Murray and Shady Avenues. Ten Thousand Villages is a mostly volunteer-run non-profit that gives artisans from developing countries a good market to sell their creations.

When: TOMORROW NIGHT, Thursday from 6-8 p.m.!

Why: Because you’ll get a jump start on your holiday shopping, and you’ll be buying things you can’t find in the stores, so they’ll be unique gifts, and because 15% of the proceeds will go to an organization that supports THON.

So go buy some jewelry or candles or clothing or hand bags or coin purses or whatever unique thing you find, and gift it to someone you love knowing you helped out kids with pediatric cancer.

1. CrashJK
    November 3, 2010 9:22 am

First In…As a PSU Alumni (Class of ’87)…I am very proud of the THON and the students who strive to keep this fundraising activity alive and going every year !

WE ARE ……………. PENN STATE

I SAY BLUE……………YOU SAY WHITE

I SAY JOEPA…………..YOU SAY TERNO

2. JeanC
    November 3, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks for posting, Ginny! Go State, Beat Cancer!

3. Emily
    November 3, 2010 9:56 am

Yay!! Thanks for posting this! It should also be noted that the 2010 Thon raised 7.8 million dollars last school year! Yep- college kids did that!

4. Me
    November 3, 2010 12:40 pm

Roar Lions Roar! Class of ’88 here. Thon is such a great student run fundraiser and Ten Thousand Villages such a wonderful store. I’ve found many unique gifts there over the years.

5. Lindsey
    November 3, 2010 1:21 pm

Thank you so much this is completely absolutely insanely wonderful :))))

6. Leigh
    November 3, 2010 1:26 pm

Proud Penn Stater(class of ’93)who danced in THON in ’93. One of the best things I ever did at PSU. THON is an amazing effort that keeps growing every year. Seeing the kids themselves and their families during the event is so inspiring. Thanks to Ten Thousand Villages for their support. Now, go shop!

7. Dan (Still your County Commish)
    November 3, 2010 1:49 pm

Danced in THON in 94, thanks for the post Ginny! Amazing the amount of money brought in every year thanks to all for the support

8. mamabear
    November 3, 2010 2:41 pm

WE ARE…..PENN STATE! For the kids!!!

9. Guins29
    November 3, 2010 9:35 pm

Go State, Beat Cancer! Indeed! As a Security worker and a Moraler for THON ’00 and ’02 respectively, I can totally get behind this. Some of my happiest random Baltimore moments come when I see canners who made it down here to seek donations. It makes my day! Thanks, Ginny, so supporting PSU and our attempts to help out the AWESOME Four Diamonds fund!

And a shout out to my girl Casey who was a SURVIVOR and a Moraler as a PSU student years later. That chica was what it was all about, beat her cancer and came back to PSU to give back!

10. Julie
    November 4, 2010 9:26 am

Ginny, I’m so excited to see you supporting THON! As a Penn State Alum (’04) and THON alum (I “danced” in ’04 as well, and was involved with the amazing event on a planning level before that) I cannot say enough wonderful things about this organization, the students who create it, and the children they support. It is emotional and amazing and soooo many things!

If I can suggest one thing, it would be for you to go to THON this year (perhaps it could be a feature for your column in Pittsburgh Magazine? You could meet up with some of the many awesome student ‘Burghers who are involved with THON) and see it for yourself. February 18th-20th, 2011. University Park, PA. Be there :0)

We are… Penn State!

11. Meg Barnett
    November 5, 2010 11:24 am

Thank you all for your support–and thank you for posting this entry about our event! I’m Meg Barnett, the president of Springfield, an organization benefiting Penn State Dance Marathon (the org that ran the fundraiser mentioned in this post). THON is one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life, and I’m always inspired to see how its power impacts people all over Pennsylvania (and the world, for that matter). Reading all of your stories and messages of support serves as inspiration for us all, so thank you for being advocates for the cause!

If you weren’t able to come out last night but are still interested in giving (and have yet to stumble upon canners), feel free to send an e-mail to springfieldftk@gmail.com, and we can send you more information!

Also, feel free to check out the following websites for more information: http://www.springfieldftk.com and http://www.thon.org.

Enjoy your weekend, and thank you again for your support!